Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.J. Watt

If we go OLB in 1st or 2nd T.J Watt has got to be our guy..Other than Myles Garrett no one sticks out like he does..In a perfect world we get Cook or Fournette in 1st and Watt in 2nd...If they are gone we got to go Watt in 1st and hope for McCafferey or Gallman in 2nd..I will be extremely hyped either way...He is the only legit olb difference maker we can get..

2 hours ago, danksloth69 said:

We should get defense in the earlier rounds. I love Watt but I think we can get him in the 3rd or even the 4th. Some good names in the first are Tim Williams, Derek Barnett, Takkarist McKinley, and Jabrill Peppers

Peppers is a safety and not a linebacker.    He's 205-210.     At that size you can play a little linebacker in college.

You can't in the NFL.       He's a safety all day in the NFL.     And a good one.     Just not a linebacker.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Peppers is a safety and not a linebacker.    He's 205-210.     At that size you can play a little linebacker in college.

You can't in the NFL.       He's a safety all day in the NFL.     And a good one.     Just not a linebacker.

Watt will go 2nd for sure, maybe 1st...He sticks out on tape more than any olb Ive looked at...

39 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Watt will go 2nd for sure, maybe 1st...He sticks out on tape more than any olb Ive looked at...

I've not read anything anywhere that says Watt goes in the first.     Everything I've read says 2nd or 3rd.

But, it's still early in the process,  so who knows yet....

I'm just sharing what I've read....

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I've not read anything anywhere that says Watt goes in the first.     Everything I've read says 2nd or 3rd.

But, it's still early in the process,  so who knows yet....

I'm just sharing what I've read....

Walter football has him projected in round 1-2..6-5 , 245 lbs, and has ran a 4.65 forty..1st team All-big10, leads league in sacks and tfl..He is gonna be a star...We got to get him..

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

Walter football has him projected in round 1-2..6-5 , 245 lbs, and has ran a 4.65 forty..1st team All-big10, leads league in sacks and tfl..He is gonna be a star...We got to get him..

The kids having a nice season. He's not a 1st round pick. This is his first full season on the Defensive side of the ball. He's a converted TE who has had significant injuries to both knees at least one required surgery maybe both I don't remember. 2014 knee injury 2015 other knee that's not good. 

Walter football is one of many sites with many opinions on where guys will go. They don't always have it right TJ was 3rd in the Big 10 in sacks 22nd in the country. Taco was #1 in the B10. TJ was 7th in conference TFL. 

Walter  has TJ ahead of Williams, Harris, McKinley, Landry Smoot, Lawson Anderson Thomas Walker. and Taco. They willl end up wrong about most if not all of those too. 

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

The kids having a nice season. He's not a 1st round pick. This is his first full season on the Defensive side of the ball. He's a converted TE who has had significant injuries to both knees at least one required surgery maybe both I don't remember. 2014 knee injury 2015 other knee that's not good. 

Walter football is one of many sites with many opinions on where guys will go. They don't always have it right TJ was 3rd in the Big 10 in sacks 22nd in the country. Taco was #1 in the B10. TJ was 7th in conference TFL. 

Walter  has TJ ahead of Williams, Harris, McKinley, Landry Smoot, Lawson Anderson Thomas Walker. and Taco. They willl end up wrong about most if not all of those too. 

His older brother J.J. was also a tight end to start his college career...Watch the kid play..If he is even close to anyone else talent wise Im taking him on bloodlines, Work ethic, and character alone...It's not just because of the name either, the kid can flat out play, and no one resembles his brother physically and playing style wise more than his own brother...If you watch him and didn't know the name you would still say he looks like a young J.J. Watt...

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

His older brother J.J. was also a tight end to start his college career...Watch the kid play..If he is even close to anyone else talent wise Im taking him on bloodlines, Work ethic, and character alone...It's not just because of the name either, the kid can flat out play, and no one resembles his brother physically and playing style wise more than his own brother...If you watch him and didn't know the name you would still say he looks like a young J.J. Watt...

JJ didn't really switch positions as much as he switched schools. He was on scholarship at C Mivhigan to play TE. He was recruited at both positions but wanted to score touchdowns. He didn't like it so he walked on as a DE at Wisconsin.  None of that really matters.

I have seen TJ play twice. I watched him vs LSU opening weekend then vs Iowa. I didn't walk away thinking 1st round pick either time. In fact I had him as a day 3 sleeper after the Hawks game if we missed out on Landry or Willis as a second OLB in the draft. 

Landry is no longer a sleeper but some how Willis is still under the radar.  I would take either of those guys over TJ. Willis likely moves up boards starting with the Senior Bowl then at the combine. The 6'5 255 OLB from KSU has 20 sacks the last 2 years.  In fact if we went 1-FosterILB 2- Landry OLB 3- Awuzie CB 4-Willis OLB 4-Elder CB 5-Augusta NT. That would be a great draft. 

I don't see 1st round anything and TJ drop's for me because of his injury history. He injured the left knee then reinjured it and had surgery causing him to miss all of 2014. Then during 2015 spring practice he injured the right knee. That cost him almost all of the 2015 season. 2016 he has a nice year but he has spent more time the last 3 season rehabbing knee injuries then playing football. For me that is a big red flag. I would not take him the first 2 days not in this draft. 

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

JJ didn't really switch positions as much as he switched schools. He was on scholarship at C Mivhigan to play TE. He was recruited at both positions but wanted to score touchdowns. He didn't like it so he walked on as a DE at Wisconsin.  None of that really matters.

I have seen TJ play twice. I watched him vs LSU opening weekend then vs Iowa. I didn't walk away thinking 1st round pick either time. In fact I had him as a day 3 sleeper after the Hawks game if we missed out on Landry or Willis as a second OLB in the draft. 

Landry is no longer a sleeper but some how Willis is still under the radar.  I would take either of those guys over TJ. Willis likely moves up boards starting with the Senior Bowl then at the combine. The 6'5 255 OLB from KSU has 20 sacks the last 2 years.  In fact if we went 1-FosterILB 2- Landry OLB 3- Awuzie CB 4-Willis OLB 4-Elder CB 5-Augusta NT. That would be a great draft. 

I don't see 1st round anything and TJ drop's for me because of his injury history. He injured the left knee then reinjured it and had surgery causing him to miss all of 2014. Then during 2015 spring practice he injured the right knee. That cost him almost all of the 2015 season. 2016 he has a nice year but he has spent more time the last 3 season rehabbing knee injuries then playing football. For me that is a big red flag. I would not take him the first 2 days not in this draft. 

You could be right, could be wrong though too...I just really started looking at top olbs this week to really see what kind of player we could get ...I still stick to what I say on the tape I've watched, that other than Garrett he sticks out the most to me....He could get hurt, or he could play 10 years with no issues...The fact he is 1st team all conference in the deepest conference in the country in his first real year at the position tells me the sky is the limit...You never know with injuries..

2 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

You could be right, could be wrong though too...I just really started looking at top olbs this week to really see what kind of player we could get ...I still stick to what I say on the tape I've watched, that other than Garrett he sticks out the most to me....He could get hurt, or he could play 10 years with no issues...The fact he is 1st team all conference in the deepest conference in the country in his first real year at the position tells me the sky is the limit...You never know with injuries..

You know he plays in the Big 10? You believe they are the deepest conference in the country when it comes to pro players? That honor almost always goes to the SEC. The Big 10 is a power conference but when it comes to NFL talent the SEC typically rules the day. Looking at the top 10 Edge Rusher's for the 2017 draft you will find these 5 SEC players on nearly every top 10 list Garrett A&M, Barnett UT, Williams Bama, Harris Mizz, Lawson Aub, then Anderson Bama makes a lot of top 10 lists. 

I went back and looked at TJ's numbers. I watched 2 of his least productive games statistically. I am sure I will get another look in the bowl game. Those knees scare me. 

Usually SEC is #1, but I think big 10 overtook them this year..Big 10 usually has top NFL o-linemen, more pro style offenses which is what Watt has to face...Didn't know his knee issues till you brought it up..Im sure he will be thoroughly checked before draft by all team doctors and if he is cleared, no red flags I would take him in a heart beat...His ceiling is very high.. He has every attribute physically, and I think his intangibles are rare..Very smart, hard working kid..The money and stage won't affect him..

Now that Mathis is gone, we need to go defense imo. The o-line is finally shoring itself up and showing promise, we're set on QB, I suppose Gore could last another year but this draft class seems good on RB's so I'd take one in the 3rd or 4th, we're fine at WR, and after looking at Doyle I feel we're also alright at TE.

Defense right now is a huge need. I say first two picks go to the defense.

14 hours ago, krunk said:

no

Yeah I don't see that either. I don't think he's in the conversation. I think the best pure pass rusher might be Carl Lawson who has yet to declare. He has had the injury bug until this season at Auburn. I would look at him if he's on the board at our pick. I think he's top 10 talent but his injury history is bothersome. These guys are tough to rank.

There are a couple of guys I like later in the draft  I want to see in the Senior Bowl. Keionta Davis the from Chattanooga and Jordan Willis from KSU. I hope to see the 6'5 258 pound Willis spend a lot of time standing up. Smoot will hope to start climbing boards after a disappointing season. 

A CB a really like is another FCS kid who will be in Mobile. Brendan Langley from Lamar. He has size 6'1 190 to go with ball skills you want in a CB. He returned 2 punts for touchdowns this year. Being able to drop back as a PR is a good skill to have. I think he played his freshman year at Georgia.  

There are guys I would take before him in the first if we go OLB  now that I've watched more..His injury history could make him fall to 3rd at latest..I like Williams, Barnett better and some other guys are right there with him..Watt does have a high ceiling and I wouldn't be mad if we took him second round..He is a perfect fit for 3-4..

On 12/24/2016 at 6:14 PM, danksloth69 said:

We should get defense in the earlier rounds. I love Watt but I think we can get him in the 3rd or even the 4th. Some good names in the first are Tim Williams, Derek Barnett, Takkarist McKinley, and Jabrill Peppers

Those are my top choices too after watching more, followed by Watt and Tonah Kpassagnon..I like Taco Charleton too, not sure he is olb, could fit with us a DE ..

On 12/24/2016 at 8:51 PM, NewColtsFan said:

One pick in college off a tipped pass, zero passes broken up.  Please for the love of God don't draft him.  He's the most overrated player in this draft.

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

One pick in college off a tipped pass, zero passes broken up.  Please for the love of God don't draft him.  He's the most overrated player in this draft.

He's an intriguing player but there is no way he's a first round pick. Hopefully the Colts know this. 

Watt did just declare. 

I think we'll be able to land a good pass rusher in the mid-second round as this class is stacked.

Garrett 

Williams

Barnett

Lawson

Thomas

Smoot

Harris

McKinnley

Landry (rumored to be leaning towards declaring as well)

... And now Watt. 

That's 10 guys who different people believe have bonafide round 1 potential. Some of them are bound to go later than that. I'm looking at Smoot, Watt, and Landry in particular.

54 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

He's an intriguing player but there is no way he's a first round pick. Hopefully the Colts know this. 

I'm pretty sure most mocks have him in the middle of the first round.  I think someone will take him in the first.  And I hope it's not the Colts.  

48 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm pretty sure most mocks have him in the middle of the first round.  I think someone will take him in the first.  And I hope it's not the Colts.  

He's just doesn't have a big enough impact to be a first rounder 

17 hours ago, Track Guy said:

Watt did just declare. 

I think we'll be able to land a good pass rusher in the mid-second round as this class is stacked.

Garrett 

Williams

Barnett

Lawson

Thomas

Smoot

Harris

McKinnley

Landry (rumored to be leaning towards declaring as well)

... And now Watt. 

That's 10 guys who different people believe have bonafide round 1 potential. Some of them are bound to go later than that. I'm looking at Smoot, Watt, and Landry in particular.

Could you make a note on there if those guys you mentioned are OLB pass rushers or if they are 3-4 DE's who can pass rush.  

If I remember right I think Watt is a 3-4 DE who can pass rush.  And I have to say I'm not at all opposed to double dipping on the pass rush.  Maybe at the high end go for a pass rushing OLB in the first or second rounds and then later in the 3rd go for a pass rushing DE.  

18 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Could you make a note on there if those guys you mentioned are OLB pass rushers or if they are 3-4 DE's who can pass rush.  

If I remember right I think Watt is a 3-4 DE who can pass rush.  And I have to say I'm not at all opposed to double dipping on the pass rush.  Maybe at the high end go for a pass rushing OLB in the first or second rounds and then later in the 3rd go for a pass rushing DE.  

They're all edge rushers. Thomas is pretty big though and was used inside a lot.