Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mewhort injury NOT torn ACL

PeterBowman

Not necessarily a relief. Better short term prognosis, but a chondral defect could be a long term issue and affect his career. Don't be surprised when he's dealing with "loose bodies" and having a "minor scope" in a couple years. Hopefully he avoids the dreaded microfracture...

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Not necessarily a relief. Better short term prognosis, but a chondral defect could be a long term issue and affect his career. Don't be surprised when he's dealing with "loose bodies" and having a "minor scope" in a couple years. Hopefully he avoids the dreaded microfracture...

well yeah there's that, because the microfracture is a killer

51 minutes ago, Superman said:

Indeed...however I always assume these inside OL guys are only here til their first contract is up. He isn't a prize tackle so I'd imagine even if we do re-sign him long term it won't be some crazy contract so long term risk I don't think is too severe. Hopefully we continue to develop these young guys like Haeg and Clark and some next year as well to keep replenishing our line. Most teams are always rotating healthy guys in and out too so outside your anchors on the outside and your line caller at center I'm not too worried. I don't think Grigson will forget his lesson...he should continue to draft lineman until we have a strong group.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Indeed...however I always assume these inside OL guys are only here til their first contract is up. He isn't a prize tackle so I'd imagine even if we do re-sign him long term it won't be some crazy contract so long term risk I don't think is too severe. Hopefully we continue to develop these young guys like Haeg and Clark and some next year as well to keep replenishing our line. Most teams are always rotating healthy guys in and out too so outside your anchors on the outside and your line caller at center I'm not too worried. I don't think Grigson will forget his lesson...he should continue to draft lineman until we have a strong group.

He's our best OL this year. I was expecting them to work on a new deal this offseason for him and Moncrief. Now, they should wait on Mewhort, unless he takes a friendly deal with little team risk in the future. 

I agree with the bolded, though. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

He's our best OL this year. I was expecting them to work on a new deal this offseason for him and Moncrief. Now, they should wait on Mewhort, unless he takes a friendly deal with little team risk in the future. 

Yeah I worry about Mewhort's longevity with this injury. Yes, he's our best O-lineman, and I'd definitely like to extend him but there should be some level of protection written into the contract from the organization's perspective. 

18 hours ago, Superman said:

I am not sure I want to pony up for a long term big contract for Moncreif. He is as bipolar in playing as the team has been. 

If we re-sign Mewhort, his deal would likely be 5-6 years at 8-10/yr I'd assume. That's what the average rate seems to be for guys his caliber has been so far and he still has upside it seems. 

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

I am not sure I want to pony up for a long term big contract for Moncreif. He is as bipolar in playing as the team has been. 

If we re-sign Mewhort, his deal would likely be 5-6 years at 8-10/yr I'd assume. That's what the average rate seems to be for guys his caliber has been so far and he still has upside it seems. 

I disagree about Moncrief. His play has been fine, he's just had a couple injuries. I wouldn't anticipate a huge contract either way, but the Colts would probably get a better deal this offseason than they would waiting until he's a free agent.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I disagree about Moncrief. His play has been fine, he's just had a couple injuries. I wouldn't anticipate a huge contract either way, but the Colts would probably get a better deal this offseason than they would waiting until he's a free agent.

My concern is the injuries. He hasn't really taken over any games yet and doesn't cause D.C. to gameplay for him either. If the price is fair ok but no TY price tag.