Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tom Coughlin, Marty Schottenheimer and Jim Mora walk into a Jacksonville bar

BloodyChamp

I was clearly joking but I really do think young coaches are an epidemic now. It used to be that you didn't even have a chance to become a coach until you were in your late 50s. I know that the added pressure to win this day and age, the evolution of the game in general etc changed all that but it might be time to come full circle. Tom Coughlin was a good coach, and with him out the 2 oldest coaches are Bill Belichik and Pete Carroll. Guys like Tom Pratt and Tom Moore have been keeping on keeping on to (it's not all working out this year but they've been good in AZ for years before). There's just something about an old man that motivates players! 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

"Tom Coughlin, Marty Schottenheimer and Jim Mora walk into a Jacksonville bar"...

I was expecting an off color joke & punch line at least with a set up like that. Oh well, maybe next time. 

Me too.

I'm currently drawing a blank trying to make up my own punch line..............maybe some of you will have more success?

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Me too.

I'm currently drawing a blank trying to make up my own punch line..............maybe some of you will have more success?

Uh huh. My sarcastic nature goes there as my default spot with a premise like that. 

The problem is you need a well known slogan or situation from each coach to make that joke work & it doesn't click because with Mora you can do a "playoffs?" tie in; with Marty you can do a 14-2 gets you canned joke, but what's funny about Coughlin? He beats NE twice in SBs & was a stickler about not being tardy. That's not hysterical though so I see where your difficulty lies LJ. 

Marty IMO is the best coach to never win a Super Bowl, and by god he would have deserved it if it ever happened.

86-87 Browns, 1993 Chiefs, 2006 Chargers - those teams were loaded and all could've possibly made it to Super Bowls in those years.

Excluding Kansas City from his coaching record, he also brought some pretty good quarterbacks into the NFL with Bernie Kosar, Drew Brees, and Philip Rivers. At least one of them is going to be a first ballot Hall of Famer. 

On 10/30/2016 at 10:35 PM, 19colt said:

Because you think he would make the respectable?

Tom Coughlin took Jacksonville to TWO AFC Championship appearances, including one with a scrubby 9-7 team in 1996 who won two road playoff games in dramatic upsets, including the big one over a 14-2 Denver team that year.

The second appearance, was the 14-2 team who's only losses that year were both to Tennessee (and a 3rd in the title game)

A lot of people think he was a bad coach, but he did win in Jacksonville to a respectable margin. 

27 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Marty IMO is the best coach to never win a Super Bowl, and by god he would have deserved it if it ever happened.

25 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Tom Coughlin took Jacksonville to TWO AFC Championship appearances.

A lot of people think he was a bad coach, but he did win in Jacksonville to a respectable margin. 

Thank you for giving props to both Marty & Tom Bogie. I have a ton of respect for both men. When Marty was let go in San Diego, I was dumbfounded. Ownership must have flipped his 14-2 record & thought it was 2-14 in 2007. I still wonder what the hades GM AJ Smith was thinking. Crazy just crazy. 

Coughlin looks like a genius next to Gus Bradley. No disrespect intended.  The reason I love Tom is teams under his stewardship never symbolically shoot themselves in the foot & his squads are usually mentally strong. 

Okay, the ODB Jr. vs Josh Norman 1st meeting wasn't Coughlin's finest hour as a coach, but that was extremely rare so I don't hold that 1 bad game against him over his illustrious NFL career at all. 

Besides, when Bill Parcels got inducted into the HOF, he said he expected his proteges Sean Payton & Tom Coughlin to win more SBs so I hope Tom returns to the sidelines soon & INDY lands him ASAP. He's just what the doctor ordered at LOS. 

13 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Thank you for giving props to both Marty & Tom Bogie. I have a ton of respect for both men. When Marty was let go in San Diego, I was dumbfounded. Ownership must have flipped his 14-2 record & thought it was 2-14 in 2007. I still wonder what the hades GM AJ Smith was thinking. Crazy just crazy. 

Coughlin looks like a genius next to Gus Bradley. No disrespect intended.  The reason I love Tom is teams under his stewardship never symbolically shoot themselves in the foot & his squads are usually mentally strong. 

Marty was wrongfully fired. 

For the 2006 playoff game vs NE, there was footage and stories of where he had specifically coached and told his players, including Marlon McCree "if you get an interception, GO DOWN". That was why they lost that game. Marty was not to blame. That interception turned fumble completely screwed their chances. 

San Diego has been a mess ever since firing Marty. The 2007 team that made the AFCCG, and then the 13-3 team in 2009 were almost like a "last hurrah" of that team he put together. 

Personally, I'm a big fan of Marty's Cleveland teams that had Bernie Kosar. Those were fun teams and similar circumstances to his time in SD leading to his firing - an owner who wanted a SB win right away let him go, and then the team collapsed without him. Bernie Kosar was never the same after Marty was gone, his final good year was in 1989 and then going into the 90's, he never turned back into the MVP candidate he once was. 

His Kansas City teams were pretty good too...They often had high ranked defenses, and he resurrected Marcus Allen's career when he looked like he was done. 

I like Tom Coughlin, and I think it's unfair that his final years in NY with a losing record sum him up as a coach. It's totally true, he took Jacksonville to the AFCCG twice. The 1996 playoff upset vs Denver was one of the biggest upsets ever. 

There was also this! Coughlin's Jaguars completely humiliated Dan Marino and ended the long career of one of the best QB's ever with one of the most humiliating playoff losses ever. 

Hey Bogie, 

Thanks for that great 62-7 Jags over Fins highlight. How bout them Cowboys I mean Dolphins eh Jimmy? haha

Jason Taylor missed a tackle? That was like unheard of in his hey day man. 

Yeah, I'll bet Philip Rivers wishes Marty S. was coaching the Super Chargers right now. The partnership with Joe Montana in KC was pretty magical to watch too. Not the same as Joe's 49er Championship days, but still playoff good though. 

Great insights Bogie! No exaggeration. I truly mean that. 

I always wonder what games like that feel like. When everything is flowing & you can do no wrong vs the other side where you start to wonder as a HOF QB if you can even snap the ball without a SNAFU happening. 

1 hour ago, Bogie said:

Marty was wrongfully fired. 

For the 2006 playoff game vs NE, there was footage and stories of where he had specifically coached and told his players, including Marlon McCree "if you get an interception, GO DOWN". That was why they lost that game. Marty was not to blame. That interception turned fumble completely screwed their chances. 

San Diego has been a mess ever since firing Marty. The 2007 team that made the AFCCG, and then the 13-3 team in 2009 were almost like a "last hurrah" of that team he put together. 

Personally, I'm a big fan of Marty's Cleveland teams that had Bernie Kosar. Those were fun teams and similar circumstances to his time in SD leading to his firing - an owner who wanted a SB win right away let him go, and then the team collapsed without him. Bernie Kosar was never the same after Marty was gone, his final good year was in 1989 and then going into the 90's, he never turned back into the MVP candidate he once was. 

His Kansas City teams were pretty good too...They often had high ranked defenses, and he resurrected Marcus Allen's career when he looked like he was done. 

I like Tom Coughlin, and I think it's unfair that his final years in NY with a losing record sum him up as a coach. It's totally true, he took Jacksonville to the AFCCG twice. The 1996 playoff upset vs Denver was one of the biggest upsets ever. 

There was also this! Coughlin's Jaguars completely humiliated Dan Marino and ended the long career of one of the best QB's ever with one of the most humiliating playoff losses ever. 

Thank you for sharing that clip, we saw so much history including Marino as well as Chris Berman back when he was inventing ESPN.  I had forgotten how bad it was, made me think of Colts vs Patriots in Luck's second and third years or Colts vs Steelers.

Tom Coughlin was the coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Tom Coughlin's name is being repeated through the rumor mill about being the new coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Tom Coughlin has said he isn't ready to retire from coaching. I threw Marty and Jim in because they went around daying they weren't done either for a while after they were last in the NFL. I hope everybody understands the punchline(s) now :groan:

Coughlin, Shottenheimer, & Mora walk into a bar & each order a drink...

Bartender says "that'll be $2.75 a piece"

The coaches pay, and the bartender walks away...

The coaches scream "What about the change???"

Bartender says "sorry this is Jacksonville... We don't have Quarterbacks..."

:insert comedic drum-roll:

seriously folks... I'll be here all week...

On November 3, 2016 at 2:22 PM, Buck Showalter said:

image.jpeg

On 11/3/2016 at 2:22 PM, Buck Showalter said:

Will you be here all week and should we be sure to tip our waitresses? :D