Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it time for Pagano to change his philosphy?

BCoop

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I started watching the Colts around 2001 and I think Tyrone Poole was gone at that point.  Jeff Burris was still here if I remember correctly.

Correct. Poole left in 2001. Polian drafted him when he was at Carolina and brought him in when he came to the Colts. 5-8 190 and lets just say he was no Bob Sanders :thmdown: Of course we had no pass rush then either. Before Mathis and Freeney came along.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

Correct. Poole left in 2001. Polian drafted him when he was at Carolina and brought him in when he came to the Colts. 5-8 190 and lets just say he was no Bob Sanders :thmdown: Of course we had no pass rush then either. Before Mathis and Freeney came along.

That's why I'm being so patient with all this.  It's all shaping up the same way in the same time frame as the last Regime.  We'll get the pass rushers with this next draft along with the developmental guys taking another step. Also even more added youth to the defense. Team will get better and better.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

That's why I'm being so patient with all this.  It's all shaping up the same way in the same time frame as the last Regime.  We'll get the pass rushers with this next draft along with the developmental guys taking another step. Also even more added youth to the defense. Team will get better and better.

I hope you're right. Polian's draft history with the Colts is similar I have to say now that I think about it. He took Peyton #1. The next year he took EDGE but he made a bit of a flop pick with a MLB from BYU, it was the no brainer, we needed a stuffer in the middle and Rob Morris was the guy. Problem is he never really panned out as a MLB. Not unitl Dungy moved him to SLB the year we won the SB did he really show his true potential and he had a real good year. In his 4th year he selected a WR out of Miami that a lot of people criticized at the time, one Reggie Wayne. So, it is interesting that Grigson's selections in the first round have been similar. The only difference is that Polian's panned out well for the most part and Grigon blew 2 of them big time.

Do you remember the hubbub when we took Freeney the next year? Many people thought it was a reach pick and Freeney was too small to be an effective pass rusher. I still say the guy has the fastest burst off the line of scrimmage I ever saw.

8 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

I hope you're right. Polian's draft history with the Colts is similar I have to say now that I think about it. He took Peyton #1. The next year he took EDGE but he made a bit of a flop pick with a MLB from BYU, it was the no brainer, we needed a stuffer in the middle and Rob Morris was the guy. Problem is he never really panned out as a MLB. Not unitl Dungy moved him to SLB the year we won the SB did he really show his true potential and he had a real good year. In his 4th year he selected a WR out of Miami that a lot of people criticized at the time, one Reggie Wayne. So, it is interesting that Grigson's selections in the first round have been similar. The only difference is that Polian's panned out well for the most part and Grigon blew 2 of them big time.

Do you remember the hubbub when we took Freeney the next year? Many people thought it was a reach pick and Freeney was too small to be an effective pass rusher. I still say the guy has the fastest burst off the line of scrimmage I ever saw.

A lot of it is very similar.  Most of the people whining all the time didn't sit through those years and watch the whole process come together.  And yes I haven't seen anybody off the line as fast as Freeney in a long time.

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I think we should start off no-huddle to dictate the flow of the game, and keep the defense guessing. It also seems like Luck finds his rhythm much quicker when they go uptempo. It's definitely not sustainable to do it for an entire game, as you do want to control the clock at certain spots, especially with a lead, and also give your defense ample time to rest. I just feel like they go out there with the same 15-20 scripted plays to start the game, and it always seems to result in several punts.

Fair point.  And going no huddle to start a game might help us have a better start.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

The Monster is being Built!

I think it's difficult for most coaches to change their philosophies on football.  For the most part, these tendencies are built thru their experience.  It's cumulative, and usually mimics the beliefs of the coaches and programs they were in and around.  Much like any professional in any profession, or even children for that matter.  We are a product of our environment.

Some people are more able to change than others, regardless of coaching ability.

as far as Pagano, I (and all of us) really don't know what goes on behind the curtain.  It sure seems that the players like him. But it's not a popularity contest unless that motivates.  Chuck seems nervous and confused at key moments.  This permeates a team FAST.  I like coaches who seem calm and calculated at key moments.  Or can even crack a joke to loosen things up.  

I think he could do better than Chuck perhaps, but I also think we could do worse.

i see the coach as the manager of the positional coaches and one that oversees and manages the "big picture" of a game while monitoring how the coordinators are handling the details of each play and series.  I'm not so sure that is Chuck's strong suit.  

Note: I like Chuck as a man but I still haven't made up my mind on his ability as a head coach relative to other coaches around the league. I do like the new positional level coaches we have added which I think could help in the overall game management.