Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

rookie LBs

ColtsFanMikeC

I haven't gotten to really analyze most of the pre-season games.

I'm curious to know what people think about the rookie LBs that were drafted late (Bates) or UDFA (Thompson, Maggit).

Have any of these guys jumped out to anyone?  I see Holder predicts bates and Thompson getting cut with Maggit making it.

Bates has a lot of ST snaps, if he's going to make the team it's because of that.

TBH, none of them have looked great, but we shouldn't expect that from UDFAs, right?  Do we have the luxury of carrying guys for potential?  With all the injuries, I doubt it.  

Maggitt seems to be the leader of the pack IMO, but who knows?

I'm expecting Bates and Thompson to get cut.  Practice squad seems right for them. Bates has speed off the edge, but he's not adept at rushing the passer.  Needs work there.  Thompson needs a little work too.  Both have some ability.

Maggitt needs work too, but he's got the size you like and the quicks and power.  Wouldn't be surprised if he made it

17 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I see Bates making it before Maggitt and Thompson just due to how key of a contributor he has been to the special teams. Led the team in special teams snap in each preseason game so far.

I didn't think about that angle.  Could be

14 minutes ago, GOCOLTS_ROLLTIDE said:

Because maggit is the better of the 3 that's all the more reason I don't see him making it...... I hope I'm wrong but history shows I'm not

That makes no sense.

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm expecting Bates and Thompson to get cut.  Practice squad seems right for them. Bates has speed off the edge, but he's not adept at rushing the passer.  Needs work there.  Thompson needs a little work too.  Both have some ability.

Maggitt needs work too, but he's got the size you like and the quicks and power.  Wouldn't be surprised if he made it

From what I've seen, I'd agree Maggitt would be the most likely of the 3 to make the team.  I tend to agree with you that the PS would be a good spot for Bates and Thompson, though I won't be shocked to see Bates retained for ST play (or in fear that he'd not clear waivers, though as other posters have pointed out, we may not have the luxury to keep anyone for that reason due to the injury bug).

4 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

That makes no sense.

From what I've seen, I'd agree Maggitt would be the most likely of the 3 to make the team.  I tend to agree with you that the PS would be a good spot for Bates and Thompson, though I won't be shocked to see Bates retained for ST play (or in fear that he'd not clear waivers, though as other posters have pointed out, we may not have the luxury to keep anyone for that reason due to the injury bug).

Look at the history our front offices personnel decisions...  it def makes sense... maggit may be the trade bait this yr

1 hour ago, JRnINDY said:

Maggitt is just getting back into football shape from injury and he is still the better edge setter, rusher. He has the potential to become a starter. I feel he makes the 53 while the other 2 go onto PS until they develop more. JM2C

You make a good point. Maggit has, (in my opinion) outplayed Bates and Thompson, and he is just starting to get healthy. I think there'a a lot of potential there.

11 hours ago, GOCOLTS_ROLLTIDE said:

Look at the history our front offices personnel decisions...  it def makes sense... maggit may be the trade bait this yr

Maggit is probably not really 'trade bait' as he is an UDFA coming off major injury and has looked good in pre-season in limited time against mostly backups.

It doesn't make sense that the FO would get rid of our best player at a position and keep lesser players.  That is a pretty subjective thing to measure, but I'm pretty sure there is no strong track record for the FO to release good players and keep poor ones, especially when there is no significant investment in the group being chosen to cut from (I am assuming you'll make an argument about Werner or T-Rich being kept around, who both were essentially 1st round draft picks for us).

I'm adjusting my stance.  I now think Bates makes the squad because of his special teams ability and also his versatility.  He played OLB and ILB last night.  It's getting clear that Maggitt will make it too.  I'm expecting Okine to make it, but not totally sure..  They said that Okine put more pressure on the QB than any of the other guys this preseason.

10 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm adjusting my stance.  I now think Bates makes the squad because of his special teams ability and also his versatility.  He played OLB and ILB last night.  It's getting clear that Maggitt will make it too.  I'm expecting Okine to make it, but not totally sure..  They said that Okine put more pressure on the QB than any of the other guys this preseason.

I would be surprised if Okine didn't make I think Monachino see's ZaDarius Smith out there. LB will be an interesting decision especially w/Sio eating a spot but being out who knows how long. I was afraid he'd end up on the IR