Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Optimistic POV from G1 - Oline.

Rally5

Half empty or half full?  Well, half empty is easy so I'm going to go for half full after week 1, specifically as it relates to the O-Line.

1.  We don't do film study or specific game planning for pre-season games.

2.  The Bills are one of the best defenses in the NFL.

3.  The Bill bring a ton of blitz looks, schemes and pressure, without study and a bunch of rooks.....maybe we did just fine?

4.  It's Kelly's first game making NFL line calls.

5.  Did Goode ever play RG?  If not, factory experimental....not sure it worked.

6.  We know Reitz is serviceable at RT, we'll see if anyone has the stuff to beat him out.

7.  I thought #66 played well in the short time he was on field at LT, I haven't done "film study" but at first blush he seemed ok and he wasn't even on the radar.  Hopefully he can recover quickly from the ankle.

It's going to be a story about the ride-side, who can win those jobs....there seems to be a bunch of guys who could rise to the occasion.  I'm looking forward to weeks 2-4.

PS.  I thought Green look good in the run game and has speed to close in the passing game.

Just now, Rally5 said:

Half empty or half full?  Well, half empty is easy so I'm going to go for half full after week 1, specifically as it relates to the O-Line.

3.  The Bills bring a ton of blitz looks, schemes and pressure, without study and a bunch of rooks.....maybe we did just fine?

5.  Did Goode ever play RG?  If not, factory experimental....not sure it worked.

6.  We know Reitz is serviceable at RT, we'll see if anyone has the stuff to beat him out.

7.  I thought #66 played well in the short time he was on field at LT, I haven't done "film study" but at first blush he seemed ok and he wasn't even on the radar.  Hopefully he can recover quickly from the ankle.

It's going to be a story about the right-side, who can win those jobs....there seems to be a bunch of guys who could rise to the occasion.  I'm looking forward to weeks 2-4.

PS.  I thought Green look good in the run game and has speed to close in the passing game.

As long as we're being optimistic: 1. I liked what I saw from WR Rogers

2. Kelly is what we've been looking for at center

3. Morris might be our back up QB for years to                                                             come.

4. Green will be an excellent safety for us soon                                                           but.....he needs reps.

5. We have the best punter in the NFL.

I saw a lot to like but Chuds system/play calling is what really stood out to me

Liked using the short passing game to pick up a few yards on early downs when the running game was not working kept a flow to the offense .

Timing on the RB screen was perfect the D was coming at the run with everything the had .

Luck in his career has been fantastic when using play action looks like it will be a big part of our offense .  

Several young players looked like they could become future NFL starters or quality depth cant wait to see more from them .

Green looked pretty good, honestly. That is encouraging because of the profiles on him after the draft painted him as a "long-haul project player". Southworth had some pretty good coverages as well. They would have been great if he had been there just a step sooner, but a very encouraging game from him. 

The D-line's all looked competent. 

3 hours ago, Rally5 said:

3.  The Bill bring a ton of blitz looks, schemes and pressure, without study and a bunch of rooks.....maybe we did just fine?

It's going to be a story about the ride-side, who can win those jobs....there seems to be a bunch of guys who could rise to the occasion.  I'm looking forward to weeks 2-4.

I suppose your post is in reaction to mine (or at least is a coincidence).  

I was actually more positive in mine than you are here.  I praised the heck out of Kelly, you questioned him.  I also stated Haeg, #73, looked fantastic at LT but just serviceable at RG.  We both agreed Goode didn't cut it. I suggested that Clark looked pretty good at RT and I am hopeful that at some point in the season he'll be our new RT for the long term.  I also said Mewhort had a rough game, but he's my favorite linemen and I think likely the best on our team.  So your half full cup sounds less full than the one I posted.  

You might have me on Green, but quite a few people beat you to that conclusion.  So what is your point? 

6 hours ago, Rally5 said:

Agree!!!! Good thoughts!!! Only real issues I saw on D for us was our contain to the outside against the run and then Butler getting beat as ususal. 

4 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I was actually more positive in mine than you are here.  I praised the heck out of Kelly, you questioned him.  I also stated Haeg, #73, looked fantastic at LT but just serviceable at RG.  We both agreed Goode didn't cut it. I suggested that Clark looked pretty good at RT and I am hopeful that at some point in the season he'll be our new RT for the long term.  I also said Mewhort had a rough game, but he's my favorite linemen and I think likely the best on our team.  So your half full cup sounds less full than the one I posted.  

You might have me on Green, but quite a few people beat you to that conclusion.  So what is your point? 

It's hard to look good when Buffalo D was throw 4-5 guys at the right side of our line.  Goode left the game with a knee injury and todays report is not serious. 

6 hours ago, JPFolks said:

My post had nothing to do with yours, if I had a thought on your post I would put it there.  My point was I saw several things we could build on and I was contemplating the team we played into the equation.  I liked Kelly quite a bit actually, not sure where you read into it that I didn't like him.  He was playing his first NFL game with blitz pressures and seemed to hold up from both a mental and physical perspective. so, good for him and good for us!  It's easy to point out all the bad things, I've done that in spades during this regime.   I'm trying to remain optimistic early....

Very comprehensive post. I like it.

Kelly looked wobbly at first but got more comfortable.  First O-line held the pocket nicely.  Hopefullly will gel together and improve run blocking.   Reitz looked shaky but I think we know what we have with him, a very serviceable lineman.  Plus, as someone pointed out earlier, the Bills' D-line is pretty good and very aggressive.  

I'm hoping that next week there's even more improvement (I'll be in the stands) and will watch for it.

On D:

I liked what I saw from Green, Okine, and McGill.  All three were impressive.  

10 hours ago, Rally5 said:

Yeah they got to get there communication down and they'll improve.  

7 hours ago, JPFolks said:

As bad as people say the o-line was we didn't give up a single sack vs one of the top defensive units in the league.

I just watched the first half again in slo-mo, with pause and rewind. There was a lot to like in that game.

One, was the interior linemen all played well, with Good & Kelly playing very strong inside. The O-line low grades went to the starting tackles as both lost a one-on-one speed rush battles. AC's got his QB hit an a ball batted in the air the luckily found the turf and Jerry Hughes blew by JR and smothered a run in the backfield. While Tolzien struggled with accuracy for a long extended period, he did however identify the correct option in most cases. He finally started putting the ball on target in the mid to late 2nd qtr. The O-line was not really at fault for the slow start. Swope turned in such a poor blocking performance, he may have sealed his fate. He played a notable part in the poor running game output. The second O-line got off to a rough star but got better with every play. Harrison was easily the best of the group, and Graf was pulled fairly quickly as he looked totally lost. The rest looked like rookies, but they battled away. 

On defense, Kerr was awesome and Ridgeway was impressive. Not very far into the 1st qtr, the Bills stopped doubling Parry and put the double on Ridgeway to keep him from dominating. Parry got one penetration and stuffed a run in the backfield while he was one-on-one, but the best combo was Kerr, Ridgeway & McGill. The Bills became limited trying to battle those three. Sio Moore struggled to make he correct fits inside and the Bills churned some tough yards on that. The rest of the yardage came from plays that were stuffed inside and bounced out to some unsealed edges. Green showed up and showed why they like him. Unlike last year, Cole played great. McNary also showed me something, his game has improved a lot. Finally, I love the way the coaching staff adjusted the game plan, in game, as it unfolded. Awesome!

Guys that really stood out 2nd half:

DT Ricky Lumpkin! - Wrecking ball

DE Sterling Bailey - Good game

RB Tre Williams - Made something out of nothing

WR Chester Rogers - Big Play TD

QB Stephen Morris - Functioned in ragged chaos

WR Daniel Anthrop - Special Teams game ball

Tip of the hat to:

CB Chris Milton

OLB Curt Maggitt