Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Change/Add/Delete 1 NFL Rule

ColtRider

5 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

Change the OT rule to allow at least one offensive possession for each team, thus ending the rule of winning the game on a TD by the first opening drive. 

I really can't go with that one because a teams defense needs to be part of a win. Losing a game because of a long field goal is not the same as giving up a TD IMO. Just a different point of view I guess?

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

I really can't go with that one because a teams defense needs to be part of a win. Losing a game because of a long field goal is not the same as giving up a TD IMO. Just a different point of view I guess?

Sure, I understand. However, if both sides get a chance at possession, it does include both teams utilizing their offense & defense just as in regulation. 

24 minutes ago, ruksak said:

Defenders are not allowed to target a receiver at or below the knees while in the process of establishing possession (making a football move). 

do1zdg.gif

16e4528f53807be23ae70f96e91435e8_large

Randall-Cobb-hit.gif

I get your point but it would change football all together. Defenders already cant hit high and now you want them not to be able to hit low? Might as well just do away with defenders all together. :dunno:

51 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

Sure, I understand. However, if both sides get a chance at possession, it does include both teams utilizing their offense & defense just as in regulation. 

But your team's defense gets a pass on the first possession of overtime if they give up a TD?  Also something to keep in mind is players are pretty tired at the end of regulation and that brings on more injuries with the added extra time? On a personal level it wouldn't bother me to go back to the days of ties. It makes for a more interesting match ups as far as playoffs IMO. Good debate I think.

2 hours ago, ColtRider said:

Change the OT rule to allow at least one offensive possession for each team, thus ending the rule of winning the game on a TD by the first opening drive or KO.

This isn't a viable solution.  There will always be one team that unfairly doesn't get a defensive pass.

The only logical way to settle ties requires so much game time that it isn't realistically plausible.  Too much risk for injury just to settle a game that can easily just be tied.  The only time overtime should be enforced is upon elimination.  Regulation games shouldn't have an overtime even if it does appease the fans.  This is double if the league keeps adding games (as apparently they want to).  You can't keep giving and giving and not expect the value of the game to degrade eventually.

Clearer rules regarding intentional grounding when a QB is throwing a ball away to avoid a sack. Far too many times, in the Patriots-Denver preseason game, Brady threw the ball when no receiver was in the area while he was in the box, and no one called it. What the hell? I posted about this on this forum and the chatroom, and many others were equally confused.

I wish I could find examples, but because they went in the books as incomplete passes, I can't find highlights.

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

Clearer rules regarding intentional grounding when a QB is throwing a ball away to avoid a sack. Far too many times, in the Patriots-Denver preseason game, Brady threw the ball when no receiver was in the area while he was in the box, and no one called it. What the hell? I posted about this on this forum and the chatroom, and many others were equally confused.

I wish I could find examples, but because they went in the books as incomplete passes, I can't find highlights.

Keep in mind any rules that you think favor Brady also favors Luck. If the NFL all of a sudden change the way they call it, it will effect Luck just the same. At least it was a pre-season game.

6 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

This was proposed but turned down by the owners this year. A change to Rule 8 Section 2 Article 1 of the NFL rule book would've provided a more clearer & sharper definition as to what "intentional grounding" would encompass.

3 hours ago, ColtRider said:

This was proposed but turned down by the owners this year. A change to Rule 8 Section 2 Article 1 of the NFL rule book would've provided a more clearer & sharper definition as to what "intentional grounding" would encompass.

Not sure why they would have turned that down, unless they feel the NFL has too many rules, or they want to protect Tom Brady? In this case, if I were Brady, I would just throw the ball into the dirt when I'm about to get sacked and see what happens. They probably won't call it if the Patriots are at home.

4 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Not sure why they would have turned that down, unless they feel the NFL has too many rules, or they want to protect Tom Brady? In this case, if I were Brady, I would just throw the ball into the dirt when I'm about to get sacked and see what happens. They probably won't call it if the Patriots are at home.

That don't fit into what the Patriot fans are saying. According to them the NFL, Goodell, the Pope, Putin, John Wayne, Paul McCartney and the whole world has something against the Patriots.   :dunno:

On 4/9/2016 at 3:23 AM, ColtRider said:

Change the OT rule to allow at least one offensive possession for each team, thus ending the rule of winning the game on a TD by the first opening drive or KO.

The CFL plays a full quarter if OT occurs. I have always like that rule. 

I agree with the change in the OT rules, but I have another one.

You get 2 reviews as now but you don't lose a review if the call is overturned in your favor.  So specifically the call on the field must stand in order for you to lose a review.  

On April 9, 2016 at 8:28 PM, crazycolt1 said:

No more John Gruden?

Are we talking no longer on TV/MNF or just disappear without a trace? 

I'd rather have chucky on TV than say Michael Irvin or Prime Time Deion Sanders. 

Of well, whatever floats your boat my man. 

Re-examine & modify the "roughing the passer" penalty. Any QB take down or sack is allowed as long as no field general is driven firmly into the ground like a pile driver. In addition, if the ball is either thrown away or connects with a TE or WR, no LB, DE, or safety is allowed to hit the QB once the ball is clearly gone. 

I also want to eliminate incidental contact face mask penalties too. It drives me nuts when a finger grazes a face mask bar & a flag is thrown regardless. To me, the QB's helmet has to be visually pulled or spun on camera before  yellow laundry is thrown on the field. 

I get that the league wants to reduce concussions & head trauma but I'm old school man. 

32 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Are we talking no longer on TV/MNF or just disappear without a trace? 

I'd rather have chucky on TV than say Michael Irvin or Prime Time Deion Sanders. 

Of well, whatever floats your boat my man. 

I am not knocking anyone who likes him I just don't see the fondness for him. I watch him and he lights up like the forth of July when a camera gets within 50 feet of him. I also don't care for Irvin or Sanders either. The only thing I seen that I cared for was a fishing show that used to have Sanders on it. It was only on a short time but I thought it was OK.

34 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am not knocking anyone who likes him I just don't see the fondness for him. I watch him and he lights up like the forth of July when a camera gets within 50 feet of him. I also don't care for Irvin or Sanders either. The only thing I seen that I cared for was a fishing show that used to have Sanders on it. It was only on a short time but I thought it was OK.

It's cool CC1. I knew what you meant. I was just goofing around buddy. Yeah, when Gruden scrunches up his face & gets excited, he's like a cartoon character brought to life. Comedian Frank Calendo does a perfect impression of him.