Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dl Coach And Defensive Assistant

PatMcAfeeFan

The longer Christianson survives the more faith I have that Manning will be back. We'll see.

I'm one of the biggest fans of Peyton. But the harsh reality is, we may never see him play again. I listened to a interview a couple weeks ago with a surgeon who specializes in the type of surgery that Peyton had. The surgeon said Peyton has less than a 20% chance of returning to the field. His chance of returning to Pro Bowl form are even less. IMO Peyton must be cut before March 13th. Peyton is due $28 Million on that date. I would not give a player $28 million if there was even a remote chance they won't return to the field. Just think of the players that could be brought in for the season if $28 million was freed up for the 2012 season...

How many men did Custer lose at the Little Big Horn?

I wore a Colts jersey to work yesterday and was fired in the parking lot before I could get to my office. According to the latest AP polls 100% of non-Colt fans believe Colt fans should be fired from their jobs, their familes put in concentration camps then banished from this planet forever.

I would hate for Peyton not to return, but we do have to plan for the future. It's becoming much more inevitable that Luck is our guy. I wonder if the WCO will be installed, being that Grigson is from the Eagles and that is the offense that Luck played at Stanford.

How many men did Custer lose at the Little Big Horn?

I wore a Colts jersey to work yesterday and was fired in the parking lot before I could get to my office. According to the latest AP polls 100% of non-Colt fans believe Colt fans should be fired from their jobs, their familes put in concentration camps then banished from this planet forever.

We should all be fired... Out of a cannon... Into the sun...

The longer Christianson survives the more faith I have that Manning will be back. We'll see.

Why Peyton isn't really connected with him. CC can be fired and it wont affect PM. From what I saw I don't think they made the best OC / QB tandem anyway. I wouldn't worry at all about that.

I'm one of the biggest fans of Peyton. But the harsh reality is, we may never see him play again. I listened to a interview a couple weeks ago with a surgeon who specializes in the type of surgery that Peyton had. The surgeon said Peyton has less than a 20% chance of returning to the field. His chance of returning to Pro Bowl form are even less. IMO Peyton must be cut before March 13th. Peyton is due $28 Million on that date. I would not give a player $28 million if there was even a remote chance they won't return to the field. Just think of the players that could be brought in for the season if $28 million was freed up for the 2012 season...

And then there's this interview with Dr. Hsu:

"Dr. Hsu has been recognized as an international leader in the operative treatment of cervical and lumbar degenerative disorders, motion-sparing technology and spinal cord injuries, and he has published a number of studies focused on NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL players."

Is Manning facing any additional risks when he does return?

There's never been a reported risk of catastrophic injury after this surgery, but there is a risk of having a problem develop at another level. Assuming he had one level fused, other areas of the neck could be affected by arthritis. There is only a 5 percent risk of a second operation in a player's career."

Manning doesn't seem to be in unchartered territory. Is that fair to say?

This is a pretty common surgery in professional and NFL players, and they do better than what many people think. I've heard people say it's really hard to get back from a neck injury, how if you have surgery, you don't come back, but that's simply not true. I think Peyton, being the stalwart that he is, playing the position that he does, has a very, very good prognosis for coming back."

And then there's this interview with Dr. Hsu:

"Dr. Hsu has been recognized as an international leader in the operative treatment of cervical and lumbar degenerative disorders, motion-sparing technology and spinal cord injuries, and he has published a number of studies focused on NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL players."

Is Manning facing any additional risks when he does return?

There's never been a reported risk of catastrophic injury after this surgery, but there is a risk of having a problem develop at another level. Assuming he had one level fused, other areas of the neck could be affected by arthritis. There is only a 5 percent risk of a second operation in a player's career."

Manning doesn't seem to be in unchartered territory. Is that fair to say?

This is a pretty common surgery in professional and NFL players, and they do better than what many people think. I've heard people say it's really hard to get back from a neck injury, how if you have surgery, you don't come back, but that's simply not true. I think Peyton, being the stalwart that he is, playing the position that he does, has a very, very good prognosis for coming back."

I will believe it when I see it.. Until then.... meh...

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 19, 2012 - profanity
Hidden by Nadine, January 19, 2012 - profanity

What Dr. did you hear get interviewed again?

I don't remember his name. Did that Doc comment on the fact that Peyton had 3 neck surgeries in an 18 month span? Peyton isn't even cleared to practice yet, and he won't be before his $28 million bonus is due...The Colts already wasted $20 Million in the 2011 season. I don't think Irsay will but his dick on the chopping block for another $36 Million in 2012... He will be released...

I don't remember his name. Did that Doc comment on the fact that Peyton had 3 neck surgeries in an 18 month span? Peyton isn't even cleared to practice yet, and he won't be before his $28 million bonus is due...The Colts already wasted $20 Million in the 2011 season. I don't think Irsay will but his dick on the chopping block for another $36 Million in 2012... He will be released...

There are two things wrong with this post:

1) You have no idea how close PM is or isn't to practicing. None of us do. The only thing we have to go on at this point is that when he did throw in a controlled situation in December, he looked really good throwing short and intermediate routes. Joseph Addai, who was there, is the source.

2) The salary cap issue isn't as cut and dry as you make it sound. The Colts actually "wasted" about $26 million ($20 mill signing bonus+ $3 mill roster bonus + $3.4 million base salary) on PM last year (only $16 went against the cap). This can never be recouped. If he is on the roster next year, there will be about another $35 million they can never recoup ($28 million option bonus + 2012 base salary of $7.4 million). Again, only $16 million would hit 2012 cap. So, in total, if PM is on the roster, Irsay would have spent about $61 million on him in two years, but only $32 of that would have been accounted for on the Colts cap. I doubt the money is the issue with Irsay (he has it to spend), it is the ramifications of the bonus money on the salary cap between 2013 and 2015 that is the issue. That being said, I believe the cap is expected to increase substantially in 2013 when the new TV money kicks in, so maybe it isn't as big of a deal as it seems.

On topic: no surprise here. I too am wondering about Clyde; he is the last of the old regime left on the offensive side of the ball. I can't help but connect him and Manning in my mind...

Further more Peyton was paid $20 Million last year to stand on the sideline. If he is on the roster for the 2012 season he will be paid an additional $36 Million. No player is worth $56 Million over a 2 year span...... The decision to release Peyton is a no brainer and I think that exactly whats going to happen.....

I'm on my phone so I could t make one of your statements bold but it's clear you have a short memory, I'm sure last year before fans knew peyton had a neck surgery you wouldn't have said that. As a player peyton is worth every penny, as an injured player however he isn't.

Despite all the negative feedback about peyton there is a very high chance he could come back, people have been reading articles about peyton not coming back or being cut so much that they think it's already happened. Peyton could very well be released then retire only to come back to football and play for a team.... point is no one knows.

There are two things wrong with this post:

1) You have no idea how close PM is or isn't to practicing. None of us do. The only thing we have to go on at this point is that when he did throw in a controlled situation in December, he looked really good throwing short and intermediate routes. Joseph Addai, who was there, is the source.

2) The salary cap issue isn't as cut and dry as you make it sound. The Colts actually "wasted" about $26 million ($20 mill signing bonus+ $3 mill roster bonus + $3.4 million base salary) on PM last year (only $16 went against the cap). This can never be recouped. If he is on the roster next year, there will be about another $35 million they can never recoup ($28 million option bonus + 2012 base salary of $7.4 million). Again, only $16 million would hit 2012 cap. So, in total, if PM is on the roster, Irsay would have spent about $61 million on him in two years, but only $32 of that would have been accounted for on the Colts cap. I doubt the money is the issue with Irsay (he has it to spend), it is the ramifications of the bonus money on the salary cap between 2013 and 2015 that is the issue. That being said, I believe the cap is expected to increase substantially in 2013 when the new TV money kicks in, so maybe it isn't as big of a deal as it seems.

On topic: no surprise here. I too am wondering about Clyde; he is the last of the old regime left on the offensive side of the ball. I can't help but connect him and Manning in my mind...

I got my #'s from ESPN.... Regardless of how you crunch the numbers it is a waste of money

I'm on my phone so I could t make one of your statements bold but it's clear you have a short memory, I'm sure last year before fans knew peyton had a neck surgery you wouldn't have said that. As a player peyton is worth every penny, as an injured player however he isn't.

I have a great memory. None of the fans new hew was gonna miss the 2011 season. That being said, it is quite clear to everyone that he has a good chance of missing the 2012 season too. I am as big of a Colts fan as the next man. I just choose to look at things from a reality stand point rather than being blinded by looking through my blue and white glasses.

I got my #'s from ESPN.... Regardless of how you crunch the numbers it is a waste of money

To you, but maybe not to Irsay. Again, the money in an of itself isn't the issue (Irsay can and will pay the man without batting an eye), it is the impact of the guaranteed money on the Colts' cap in 2013, 2014, and 2015. If PM is healthy, I am confident that he will be a Colt in 2012, and I do think that is one reason Clyde is still on the staff. While the two aren't absolutely connected, there is no doubt that Clyde and PM have a meaningful connection.

I will believe it when I see it.. Until then.... meh...

So it's "realistic" for the doom-and-gloomers to "accept the reality" of Peyton never again playing based on nothing, but when every expert who's ever dealt with it says otherwise, it's not valid until he's throwing touchdowns?

I'm not accusing you, in particular, of making such a claim. But there are lots of folks wading in that water.