Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We really are a lucky fan base.

RockThatBlue

I saw that pic of the browns jersey with all the qbs they've been through since 1999 and its unreal. It made me realize how lucky we've been to go through the Peyton years and now the Luck era. 

Could you imagine nearly 30 different starting QBs in about a 20 year span? Unbelievable. 

Sure the Colts aren't perfect but the last 15+ years have been amazing. 

1 hour ago, wig said:

Depends on how you look at it. The team has competed at a high level the last 15 but only has one championship in over 45 years. 

That's more then the Titans jags Texans bills browns Bengals chargers falcons panthers eagles lions Vikings and cards combined

45 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That's more then the Titans jags Texans bills browns Bengals chargers falcons panthers eagles lions Vikings and cards combined

So 1 more than any of the worst run franchises and expansion teams. Not sure why you're trying to say that 1 title in almost half a decade is good, especially when you consider they've had one of the best QBs ever or one of the best prospects ever over the last 2 decades. 

5 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I saw that pic of the browns jersey with all the qbs they've been through since 1999 and its unreal. It made me realize how lucky we've been to go through the Peyton years and now the Luck era. 

Could you imagine nearly 30 different starting QBs in about a 20 year span? Unbelievable. 

Wait a minute,  didn't we have nearly 30 QBs on the roster last season alone?!?

20160401_224021.png

16 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Comparing ourself to the Browns, the worst run organization in sports does not make me feel good about our franchise. I'd rather be compared to the Pats, Steelers, Seahawks etc...

We are though fortunate, very fortunate to have been terrible in the right seasons to be in position to draft Peyton & Luck.

But some would say we are unfortunate to have questionable ownership, GM, and coaching running our team. Without Manning & Luck as our qb's could we be giving the Brownies a run for their money for incompetence?

17 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Agreed. Being in the right place at the right time has served the franchise well over the last 17 years. No matter how you got there, it happened. The second aspect to all of this is, these two QBs being in the right place at the right time if you're a ColtsFan. So, it's a double luck parlay, having the worst losing record for the #1 selection and Manning & Luck happen to be standing there in each of their respective draft years. 1998 & 2012.

If we're not lucky, please define it. 

13 hours ago, wig said:

So 1 more than any of the worst run franchises and expansion teams. Not sure why you're trying to say that 1 title in almost half a decade is good, especially when you consider they've had one of the best QBs ever or one of the best prospects ever over the last 2 decades. 

You do realize all the teams I mentioned, only four haven't made the Superbowl 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

you called them the worst franchises and the last expansion team was over a decade ago

Yeah, because they are .  TB is one of the worst franchises in history and they have as many SBs as the Colts over that time.

Just now, wig said:

Which is a "good" franchise?

browns won 10 champions in the 50s

chargers had one of the best offensives in the 80s

bengals made the super bowl twice in the 80s

jags made the AFC championship in only their second year in the league

eagles have made 5 NFC championship games and two super bowl apperances

I can keep going or do you get the point. recent history isnt history. its just fresher in peoples minds

12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

browns won 10 champions in the 50s

chargers had one of the best offensives in the 80s

bengals made the super bowl twice in the 80s

jags made the AFC championship in only their second year in the league

eagles have made 5 NFC championship games and two super bowl apperances

I can keep going or do you get the point. recent history isnt history. its just fresher in peoples minds

There is no point.

Okay, the Browns were good when there were how many teams?

The Chargers had a HOF QB and didn't win anything.

The Bengals have historically been a laughing stock.

The Jags had a single good season but nothing else.

The Eagles were the best NFC team for a few years when the conference was horrible.

You can do what you did with any team.  Name me franchises that are worse than the ones you listed.  I'll wait.

16 minutes ago, wig said:

There is no point.

Okay, the Browns were good when there were how many teams?

The Chargers had a HOF QB and didn't win anything.

The Bengals have historically been a laughing stock.

The Jags had a single good season but nothing else.

The Eagles were the best NFC team for a few years when the conference was horrible.

You can do what you did with any team.  Name me franchises that are worse than the ones you listed.  I'll wait.

rams bucs saints before brees

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

rams bucs saints before brees

All 3 have as many SBs as the Colts over the time frame we're talking about, which is how this conversation started. Not sure you want to use them to prove your point, whatever it is. 

Just now, wig said:

All 3 have as many SBs as the Colts over the time frame we're talking about, which is how this conversation started. Not sure you want to use them to prove your point, whatever it is. 

you wanna use the history of a franchise so there you go. rams bucs and saints historically have been losing franchises

Amazing how a positive post gets turned into a pissing match...some people really need to get their lives in order so they don't take out their obvious dissatisfaction with their own lives on others....

VERY glad to be a Colts Fan and have been one for over 46 years...I feel fortunate to have seen Unitas, Jones, Harbaugh, Manning and now Luck as my team's QB. Fortunate to have had some exciting moments like the Superbowl victories in SB 5 and 41 and some bittersweet ones like the SB loss to NO, wasn't old enough to remember SB 3, and the loss to Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship in 1996...still say it was a catch and Stewarts' obvious running out of bounds only to catch a td coupled with Coryatt's interception drop didn't help????????????

It's been a good ride and one I would love to do all over again...be grateful for what you have and don't be bitter over what you don't. GO COLTS!

Nobody is whining or crying. Starting at the top with Irsay, everyone will say that it's disappointing to only have one championship recently. That's not knocking the team or saying you want to root for another team. It's the truth. When you have the best record over a certain amount of time and 3 teams have more rings than you, it's unfortunate.

I'm not upset with being a Colts fan, and to say that I'm not satisfied with my life because of what I said is completely unfounded. 

1 hour ago, wig said:

Yeah, because they are .  TB is one of the worst franchises in history and they have as many SBs as the Colts over that time.

Would you rather be the Browns who have never even been to a Super Bowl and are showing no signs of going anytime soon?

Appericate what the Colts have had it could have been far far worse.  I think that's the general point of this thread.

5 minutes ago, wig said:

Nobody is whining or crying. Starting at the top with Irsay, everyone will say that it's disappointing to only have one championship recently. That's not knocking the team or saying you want to root for another team. It's the truth. When you have the best record over a certain amount of time and 3 teams have more rings than you, it's unfortunate.

I'm not upset with being a Colts fan, and to say that I'm not satisfied with my life because of what I said is completely unfounded. 

Jim Irsay is also the first person to point out despite only one Super Bowl win they have done some amazing things since the middle 90's that they should be and are proud of.  Things that a lot of fans dismiss because they have "only" won one Super Bowl.  

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Jim Irsay is also the first person to point out despite only one Super Bowl win they have done some amazing things since the middle 90's that they should be and are proud of.  Things that a lot of fans dismiss because they have "only" won one Super Bowl.  

Look at my first post in this thread. I stated that the team has competed at a high level for 15 years, which is a rare blessing. But, not winning more titles is also unfortunate. People can see both as truths. 

Just now, wig said:

Look at my first post in this thread. I stated that the team has competed at a high level for 15 years, which is a rare blessing. But, not winning more titles is also unfortunate. People can see both as truths. 

I agree I would like more titles, who wouldn't, but too often here people (maybe not you) tend to dismiss any other success the Colts have had really since 1995 because they only won one Super Bowl.  Even with the one Super Bowl I think Colts fans are lucky.

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

This is just a personality difference. Personally, I don't look at my life and think I shouldn't want more because other people have it worse. People with your line of thinking more often than not end up with very pedestrian results, which for me personally, isn't acceptable. 

3 minutes ago, wig said:

This is just a personality difference. Personally, I don't look at my life and think I shouldn't want more because other people have it worse. People with your line of thinking more often than not end up with very pedestrian results, which for me personally, isn't acceptable. 

You do understand that the Colts results have no baring on if you have success in your life or not right?  Nothing the Colts do should have influnce on the kind of results we have in our lives.  It's a game meant for enjoyment.  Nothing more.  

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

You do understand that the Colts results have no baring on if you have success in your life or not right?  Nothing the Colts do should have influnce on the kind of results we have in our lives.  It's a game meant for enjoyment.  Nothing more.  

Of course it has no bearing.  Atitudes towards success or failure are often indicative of people's personalities,  though. 

Since Peyton Manning got Drafted in 1998, only 5 franchises have won more SB's than us since the 98Season being the Patriots(4), Steelers(2), Giants(2), Ravens(2), and Broncos(2). We have at least won our (1) and have the 2nd most overall wins as a franchise since the 98Season only behind the Patriots. Not all of it was Peyton either, Andrew has led us to 3 11 win seasons and a Title Game appearance as well. Since the 98Season when the Peyton era began we are at worse the 6th best franchise out of 32 teams and have won a SB. I think any fan should take that and run! Yes, we are a lucky fanbase. Franchises that have been Very Good for years like the Eagles, Chargers, Vikings, and Bills who were during the 90's have never even won a SB. We should be thankful for what our franchise has given us since the late 90's.

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Since Peyton Manning got Drafted in 1998, only 5 franchises have won more SB's than us since the 98Season being the Patriots(4), Steelers(2), Giants(2), Ravens(2), and Broncos(2). We have at least won our (1) and have the 2nd most overall wins as a franchise since the 98Season only behind the Patriots. Not all of it was Peyton either, Andrew has led us to 3 11 win seasons and a Title Game appearance as well. Since the 98Season when the Peyton era began we are at worse the 6th best franchise out of 32 teams and have won a SB. I think any fan should take that and run! Yes, we are a lucky fanbase. Franchises that have been Very Good for years like the Eagles, Chargers, Vikings, and Bills who were during the 90's have never even won a SB. We should be thankful for what our franchise has given us since the late 90's.

It don't matter to the negative minded. The NFL is an entertaining sport but when you take it so serious you cant find nothing but negativity out of it, why even bother? For 3 1/2 hours a game takes us away from the everyday issues and takes our minds away from reality. Fandom is a strange thing.

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It don't matter to the negative minded. The NFL is an entertaining sport but when you take it so serious you cant find nothing but negativity out of it, why even bother? For 3 1/2 hours a game takes us away from the everyday issues and takes our minds away from reality. Fandom is a strange thing.

Really since Peyton got Drafted in 1998 and the way Andrew has played since 2012 I cant see how anyone can be negative about the franchise. Like I said earlier since the 98Season we have the 2nd most overall wins as a franchise = Regular Season/Playoffs, have won a SB, and have been to 4 AFC Title Games over the last full 18 seasons = 1998-2015. In those 18 seasons we have only missed the Playoffs 4 times which was Peyton's rookie season, 2001, the season Peyton didn't play in 2011, and last season which was a season Andrew missed 9 games due to injury. Like you said though, some people are just negative people in general and will find anything to complain about. Since the Peyton era began I would rank us the 6th best franchise out of 32 teams. Only the Patriots have been clearly better and I would say the Steelers, Broncos, Giants, and Ravens slightly better and that is only because those franchises have won 2 SB's in the time frame I have mentioned to our 1.

On April 3, 2016 at 11:14 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Really since Peyton got Drafted in 1998 and the way Andrew has played since 2012 I cant see how anyone can be negative about the franchise. Like I said earlier since the 98Season we have the 2nd most overall wins as a franchise = Regular Season/Playoffs, have won a SB, and have been to 4 AFC Title Games over the last full 18 seasons = 1998-2015. In those 18 seasons we have only missed the Playoffs 4 times which was Peyton's rookie season, 2001, the season Peyton didn't play in 2011, and last season which was a season Andrew missed 9 games due to injury. Like you said though, some people are just negative people in general and will find anything to complain about. Since the Peyton era began I would rank us the 6th best franchise out of 32 teams. Only the Patriots have been clearly better and I would say the Steelers, Broncos, Giants, and Ravens slightly better and that is only because those franchises have won 2 SB's in the time frame I have mentioned to our 1.

Nice post with perspective CBE basically confirming how Manning & Luck have both allowed this franchise to make deep playoff runs, multiple division titles, & realistic SB aspirations with regular AFC Championship Game appearances etc. etc. 

It reminds me of that movie sequence in "Monty Pythons: The Life of Brian"...."All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?" 

Translation: INDY under Irsay's stewardship has a lot to be thankful for due to this team's consistent level of success that not all 32 teams can appreciate or bask in the longterm achievements of.