Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

7 Round Mock Draft 2.0

From what I've been hearing, scouts like Joseph a lot more than your average draftnik.  I don't doubt we'd have to snag him in the 2nd, and he'd be a good catch there.  Did you catch that Scooby Wright had a horrendous Pro Day workout?  He's thoroughly in the "great football player/poor athlete" category, which often doesn't even get you drafted at all nowadays.  I still don't like the drafting of an OT before Round 5, much less in Round 1.  But I know I'm in the minority.

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I think Joseph could be had in the 3rd, Jenkins in the 4th, and I'd take Isaac Seumalo in the 5th. Then in the 2nd take the best DT available. Someone like Vernon Butler or Austin Johnson. 

I think the key word in your first sentence is "could"....

But I would add....   "not likely"....

I doubt Joseph lasts until 81.     And I doubt that Jenkins lasts until 116 (or whatever number our 4th R pick is)

And it's not clear that Seumalo would last until our pick in the 5th round either.     Lots of assumptions here.

2 hours ago, Archer said:

From what I've been hearing, scouts like Joseph a lot more than your average draftnik.  I don't doubt we'd have to snag him in the 2nd, and he'd be a good catch there.  Did you catch that Scooby Wright had a horrendous Pro Day workout?  He's thoroughly in the "great football player/poor athlete" category, which often doesn't even get you drafted at all nowadays.  I still don't like the drafting of an OT before Round 5, much less in Round 1.  But I know I'm in the minority.

Conklin is the only tackle I would like in first.

I really like this draft, but I just have trouble always with where these players are actually going to go, and where we think they will be taken. Joseph is a stud. If he is there in the second round, we will be lucky. Jenkins I actually like more than Floyd. I would love Jenkins and Scooby to pop into the LB core. Conklin would be a great pick. We would have our LT or LG for the next 10 years. I want guys who had to grind to make teams, have that drive!!!  The last pick Dahl is going to go much sooner than the 7th, I believe the 3rd. Gil Brandt from NFL has him as one of his 10 most underrated offensive players. Dahl is like Conklin. A motor that does not stop! Really a good mix of players which would help us!

If we got Jenkins and Wright for defense, and Conklin and Dahl for offense, I would be ecstatic.

Does Karl Joseph translate as a FS or SS? Everything I read says he's a SS, and we have one of those in Geathers. If Joseph can play FS, he will be groomed to take Adams' place. But I don't see Geathers ever being a FS. So....anyone know the answer to this? 

7 hours ago, Archer said:

Conklin could play guard or RT though. But I don't think we need to take more than one offensive lineman in the first four rounds.

3 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

I really like this draft, but I just have trouble always with where these players are actually going to go, and where we think they will be taken. Joseph is a stud. If he is there in the second round, we will be lucky. Jenkins I actually like more than Floyd. I would love Jenkins and Scooby to pop into the LB core. Conklin would be a great pick. We would have our LT or LG for the next 10 years. I want guys who had to grind to make teams, have that drive!!!  The last pick Dahl is going to go much sooner than the 7th, I believe the 3rd. Gil Brandt from NFL has him as one of his 10 most underrated offensive players. Dahl is like Conklin. A motor that does not stop! Really a good mix of players which would help us!

If we got Jenkins and Wright for defense, and Conklin and Dahl for offense, I would be ecstatic.

The trouble  many fans and draft evaluators have is trying to figure out where players will go when really there is no exact/wrong answer. What do I mean? Take for example Leonard Floyd, One of the players you named and one of my favorite players in the draft who I would like to have at 18.....Well right now and up till the draft GM's are trying to decide the same thing and so is media(Though nfl team draft boards are likely almost all set by now this close to the draft). Not all 32 teams will see Floyd as a 1st round talent (Still using Floyd as the example). They have to figure out where THEY would draft him and to do that they have to set qualifications...Such as Height/Weight/Agility/Read and react skills/Coverage/speed/strength/flexibility/History of production on the field/Off the field history....If all that checks out then ya still have the big one.....Medical Exams and drug tests, Including players having to sign waivers for consent for healthcare providers to release college medical results to the NFL

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/nfp-prospect-grading-system/

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/andrew-luck?id=2533031 (Click on question mark down by Lucks grade)

Those are just a couple resources I use. Im on laptop and not at home so I don't have them all here