Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eric Weddle considering offers from four teams

The former Chargers safety has received a contract offer from four different teams in free agency, a source said Friday. Before negotiations begin, he will take the next couple days to whittle down the team list, perhaps to as few as two. Factors ranging from quality of a team's roster to its surrounding schools will be considered as Weddle forms a decision.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/mar/11/chargers-eric-weddle-free-agency/

I wonder if we are one of these teams.

7 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

The former Chargers safety has received a contract offer from four different teams in free agency, a source said Friday. Before negotiations begin, he will take the next couple days to whittle down the team list, perhaps to as few as two. Factors ranging from quality of a team's roster to its surrounding schools will be considered as Weddle forms a decision.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/mar/11/chargers-eric-weddle-free-agency/

Highly doubt it. 

4 minutes ago, MTC said:

Colts aren't going to be interested in him? They're trying to save cap.

LOL.

I am certain the Colts cap could easily handle signing Weddle, or just about anyone else they want to. 

Do you talk to the Colts organization often?

I doubt it because he's the same age range as Adams and I believe Adams without looking at the past 2-3 seasons has been just as productive if not more than Weddle so why get rid of an old Adams to get an old Weddle when the results are similar or better if we remain the same?

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I doubt it because he's the same age range as Adams and I believe Adams without looking at the past 2-3 seasons has been just as productive if not more than Weddle so why get rid of an old Adams to get an old Weddle when the results are similar or better if we remain the same?

Who knows, man.

Four teams have made an offer. 

I can see us being one of those teams. We probably will not be the highest bidder though. 

the four teams are the raiders steelers cowboys and ravens so no we are not concerning weddle and we shouldnt. we need to focus on getting luck resigned. geathers will be fine starting and we already have a 30+ safety

10 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

LOL.

I am certain the Colts cap could easily handle signing Weddle, or just about anyone else they want to. 

"I am certain the Colts cap could easily handle signing Weddle, or just about anyone else they want to. "

- Well, they couldn't handle Jerrell Freeman

And yes, I am Ryan Grigson.

1 minute ago, MTC said:

"I am certain the Colts cap could easily handle signing Weddle, or just about anyone else they want to. "

- Well, they couldn't handle Jerrell Freeman

And yes, I am Ryan Grigson.

LOL.

I believe it is obvious that we just did not want Freeman. It is not hard to read between the lines on that one. 

10 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Who knows, man.

Four teams have made an offer. 

I can see us being one of those teams. We probably will not be the highest bidder though. 

I think they will wind up going with Adams and Geathers. Possibly pick up a young safety or look at moving Djoun Smith to FS.  When he was drafted it was understood that he was a dual role player.  Even though Grigson is talking him up as competing for the Nickel and maybe outside I think things may change if they wind up drafting a guy like Mackenzie Alexander.  I think Alexander would beat Smith out of the nickel job if we have a solid veteran in place on the outside before the draft arrives.  Who knows, but for right now I think he's a corner barring any drastic personnel scenarios. .

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

the four teams are the raiders steelers cowboys and ravens so no we are not concerning weddle and we shouldnt. we need to focus on getting luck resigned. geathers will be fine starting and we already have a 30+ safety

The four teams have been kept a secret so you're just guessing.

The Colts front office is more than capable enough to walk and chew gum at the same time. 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

LOL.

I believe it is obvious that we just did not want Freeman. It is not hard to read between the lines on that one. 

If we didn't want Freeman, we wouldn't of offered him a deal.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I think they will wind up going with Adams and Geathers. Possibly pick up a young safety or look at moving Djoun Smith to FS.  When he was drafted it was understood that he was a dual role player.  Even though Grigson is talking him up as competing for the Nickel and maybe outside I think things may change if they wind up drafting a guy like Mackenzie Alexander.  I think Alexander would beat Smith out of the nickel job. If they decide to bring in a veteran at a later point who they feel can play the outside I think there exists a scenario where Smith could be in line for safety role.  Who knows, but for right now I think he's a corner.

Lots of possibilities.

Don't forget about Ragland. I have a feeling he is our number one target. 

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

This is even from your link:

Rapoport didn't say which four teams offered Weddle a contract, but we may be able to piece that together. As CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reported, the Ravens,Cowboys, and Steelers are all interested in Weddle's services.

They are all just guessing. 

59 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

We're not.     Saw a story last night that listed the four teams....   the Colts were not one of them.

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

This is even from your link:

Rapoport didn't say which four teams offered Weddle a contract, but we may be able to piece that together. As CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reported, the Ravens,Cowboys, and Steelers are all interested in Weddle's services.

They are all just guessing. 

they have better inside then you or me. the only FA I could see the colts going after is upshaw and thats just to replace walden next year

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

He signed very cheap with the Bears. If we saw him as our future then we could have easily made that work. 

The issue is it was the exact same deal we offered him before FA even started.  To me you can go with the school of thought that says just let Jackson go and pay Freeman, but my take on that is Jackson played lights out last year and is a strong fixture in our locker room.  I think you need guys like that with a team that is getting younger and more athletic.  Plus he won't be here too much longer so he can groom the young guy(s) and be gone by next year instead of having to tie him up for another 3 years like you would with Freeman. Plus you have Sio Moore on the roster who is a good cover man and more versatile than Free to be honest. At the end of the day I believe they wanted Jerrell Back, but at only so high of a dollar figure. If it got beyond that they knew they could fall back on Sio Moore, some of the other young guys we have like Sylvestre and the draft. 

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

The issue is it was the exact same deal we offered him before FA even started.  To me you can go with the school of thought that says just let Jackson go and pay Freeman, but my take on that is Jackson played lights out last year and is a strong fixture in our locker room.  I think you need guys like that with a team that is getting younger and more athletic.  Plus he won't be here too much longer so he can groom the young guy(s) and be gone by next year instead of having to tie him up for another 3 years like you would with Freeman. Plus you have Sio Moore on the roster who is a good cover man and more versatile than Free to be honest. At the end of the day I believe they wanted Jerrell Back, but at only so high of a dollar figure. If it got beyond that they knew they could fall back on Sio Moore, some of the other young guys we have like Sylvestre and the draft. 

You and I are mostly in agreement.

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We're not.     Saw a story last night that listed the four teams....   the Colts were not one of them.

I read that story too yesterday but I could not find it today. I just remember that the Vikings were not among the four teams and moved on to the next story. I do remember the Steelers being one of the teams. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Why do you highly doubt it?

His age, too old. We need to get younger. I don't mind Jackson being re-signed though because he was 2nd in the league in tackles and had a pick 6 that beat Atlanta and other Great impact plays. He and Gore I am ok with, everyone else over 30 needs to go. - except Vinny of course haha I just added that in.

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Colts aren't going to be interested in him? They're trying to save cap.

Not only that but where do you play him? He's a veteran FS. It wouldn't make sense to bench Adams for him. If you play him at SS he's probably playing out of position, plus Geathers is ready. And you'd be paying too much for him to just be depth.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

LOL.

Well it would mean probably about $6M they couldn`t roll over to next year and the loss of Probably a
 4-5th rd comp pick in 2017 that we have a good shot at for losing Fleener.
 So reading how they let a Board Favorite Freeman go for cheap, this appears to be a simple one.
 Hope this helps

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

His age, too old. We need to get younger. I don't mind Jackson being re-signed though because he was 2nd in the league in tackles and had a pick 6 that beat Atlanta and other Great impact plays. He and Gore I am ok with, everyone else over 30 needs to go. - except Vinny of course haha I just added that in.

OK I forgot Mathis, not on my game today and Adams but both are really old. I think we should keep both but you guys get my point I am sure. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

OK I forgot Mathis, not on my game today and Adams but both are really old. I think we should keep both but you guys get my point I am sure. 

Are there any free agents out there that you would like the Colts to sign? There is a 25-year old CB that we won't re-sign (Josh Robinson). I know that Superman is a big fan of his. I like him too.

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Are there any free agents out there that you would like the Colts to sign? There is a 25-year old CB that we won't re-sign (Josh Robinson). I know that Superman is a big fan of his. I like him too.

I do like him and he is young. We need all the Defensive help we can get. It looks like the Dolphins are all over him though.

LOL. You guys know we aren't one of the teams offering him. Grigson doesn't want us to have a good team next year. He wants to "build for the future" and hope to have a good team or two in a few years. Well guess what, if he don't WIN this draft, and if we don't make the playoffs again. That punk we call our general manager will finally be fired.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I do like him and he is young. We need all the Defensive help we can get. It looks like the Dolphins are all over him though.

Meh. Don't like the Dolphins. I thought the Vikes would try to sign Weddle or Reggie Nelson, but after losing out on Iloka,  we signed a safety who played for your division rival Titans -- Michael Griffin. Vikes fans are not too crazy about that signing but we trust the front office and Coach Zimmer. Some of us still hope we can sign Nelson but that looks unlikely.

I don't like too much turnover of players; so as long as we re-sign Chad Greenway and a few more of our own free agents, I am fine with that.

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Meh. Don't like the Dolphins. I thought the Vikes would try to sign Weddle or Reggie Nelson, but after losing out on Iloka,  we signed a safety who played for your division rival Titans -- Michael Griffin. Vikes fans are not too crazy about that signing but we trust the front office and Coach Zimmer. Some of us still hope we can sign Nelson but that looks unlikely.

I don't like too much turnover of players; so as long as we re-sign Chad Greenway and a few more of our own free agents, I am fine with that.

Yeah I don't like the Dolphins either, never have been a fan of that team or fanbase.

28 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Josh Robinson has been on my coveted FA list as well. I would LOVE to land him. I have no idea what it would take dollar wise to make it happen but would love to see it.

1 minute ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Josh Robinson has been on my coveted FA list as well. I would LOVE to land him. I have no idea what it would take dollar wise to make it happen but would love to see it.

I don't believe he will command too much. He is coming off half a year on the injured list and he did not play much when he was active. I like him a lot but he is not in the future plans of the Vikes. He just turned 25 this year. I think it would be a good signing for the Colts. 

Good to see you posting in the football threads. :) 

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't believe he will command too much. He is coming off half a year on the injured list and he did not play much when he was active. I like him a lot but he is not in the future plans of the Vikes. He just turned 25 this year. I think it would be a good signing for the Colts. 

Good to see you posting in the football threads. :) 

His injury last year & subsequent absence from the lineup is primarily why I don't have a clue what his value should be. I think we need another corner who can play the outside along with Davis. This & a pass rusher should solidify our defense quite a bit.

I'm surfing & posting all over the site today. :D

5 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

His injury last year & subsequent absence from the lineup is primarily why I don't have a clue what his value should be. I think we need another corner who can play the outside along with Davis. This & a pass rusher should solidify our defense quite a bit.

I'm surfing & posting all over the site today. :D

Coach Zimmer never seemed to like Robinson who is shorter than the CBs that Zimmer prefers. If I remember correctly, he tore his pectoral muscle during training camp this year. He should be 100% now.

I think the Colts can get him at a bargain rate.