Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts spent more on defense than any team in the NFL last year.

Dustin

25 minutes ago, Iancolts said:

Colts are in trouble.  We kept Grigson not sure why.  As long as Grigson is buyin. Groceries we are not seeing the Lombardi anytime soon!

Not sure why? I guess being the GM of the year his rookie season helped? Dealing with a 39 million dead cap issue also helped?  I guess taking a 2-14 team to three 11-5 seasons helped? I guess advancing farther into the playoffs each of his first three seasons helped? Keeping the Colts out of cap issues don't help? I get the Colts had an off season due to a few reasons so just throw away what has been built? Just who was going to replace him that was going to do a better job? I have a feeling Grigson was not in jeopardy of loosing his job more than Pagano. Only time will have the answers but you asking why is pretty easy to answer.

17 hours ago, BOTT said:

Well, yeah, I didn't think that needed pointing out.  That still doesn't take away from Elway, and other teams, using free agency effectively.......which is what I was responding to.

Right. All I was pointing out is that Elway has done superiorly well in comparison to Grigson in drafting players to make that defense a juggernaut.

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not sure why? I guess being the GM of the year his rookie season helped? Dealing with a 39 million dead cap issue also helped?  I guess taking a 2-14 team to three 11-5 seasons helped? I guess advancing farther into the playoffs each of his first three seasons helped? Keeping the Colts out of cap issues don't help? I get the Colts had an off season due to a few reasons so just throw away what has been built? Just who was going to replace him that was going to do a better job? I have a feeling Grigson was not in jeopardy of loosing his job more than Pagano. Only time will have the answers but you asking why is pretty easy to answer.

Grigson has one good draft!  Uno!!   I think Grigson was gonna lose his job way before Pagano.  Grigson has been over paying for aged vet.  He hasn't put this team in salary cap issues is because all he goes after is mediocre talent in FA.  He buys 3-4 mediocre players instead of investing on a few key pieces.  

9 minutes ago, Iancolts said:

Grigson has one good draft!  Uno!!   I think Grigson was gonna lose his job way before Pagano.  Grigson has been over paying for aged vet.  He hasn't put this team in salary cap issues is because all he goes after is mediocre talent in FA.  He buys 3-4 mediocre players instead of investing on a few key pieces.  

Over paying? I guess maybe you should do some homework before making that comment. He stated from day one he was never going to put the Colts in cap hades and in the shape it was when he took over. No team goes three strait 11-5 seasons and did what the Colts did in the playoffs by only having one good draft. If you think GMs hit home runs every draft I am sorry to inform you, that is not a fact. You can overlook the team and the talent it does have, that's on you. I am not going back and retrace every move Grigson has made for you. That is on you once again. You are entitled to your opinion as much as anyone else but it don't make it 100% correct.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Over paying? I guess maybe you should do some homework before making that comment. He stated from day one he was never going to put the Colts in cap hades and in the shape it was when he took over. No team goes three strait 11-5 seasons and did what the Colts did in the playoffs by only having one good draft. If you think GMs hit home runs every draft I am sorry to inform you, that is not a fact. You can overlook the team and the talent it does have, that's on you. I am not going back and retrace every move Grigson has made for you. That is on you once again. You are entitled to your opinion as much as anyone else but it don't make it 100% correct.

I don't want to turn this into another "fire Grigson" discussion but what defensive playmakers has he really brought in besides Vontae Davis?

54 minutes ago, Restored said:

I don't want to turn this into another "fire Grigson" discussion but what defensive playmakers has he really brought in besides Vontae Davis?

He brought in good enough defensive players to stop the run bleeding. Injuries has also played a part on the defensive side also. Most every GM in the league has a problem finding those what you call playmakers. As far as turning this into a fire Grigson discussion there is no discussion. He just signed a contract and any talk of him being fired at this point is blowing smoke.

25 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He brought in good enough defensive players to stop the run bleeding. Injuries has also played a part on the defensive side also. Most every GM in the league has a problem finding those what you call playmakers. As far as turning this into a fire Grigson discussion there is no discussion. He just signed a contract and any talk of him being fired at this point is blowing smoke.

Most every GM? Try telling that to Seattle, Denver, New England, Carolina or even Arizona. The Jets too. Should I continue?

My point is that Grigson has gotten very few playmakers on defense since his tenure began here.

50 minutes ago, Restored said:

Most every GM? Try telling that to Seattle, Denver, New England, Carolina or even Arizona. The Jets too. Should I continue?

My point is that Grigson has gotten very few playmakers on defense since his tenure began here.

Every team in the NFL has a playmaker or two on the defense. That is not what wins games in the big picture. It worked for Denver this season but it is not the norm. It takes talent across the board, not just one or two great players. JJ Watt is the best defensive player in the NFL. How many playoff wins do the Texans have? The only team in history to go undefeated was Miami. They had what was called the no name defense. No superstars, just good players across the board.

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Every team in the NFL has a playmaker or two on theirdefense. That is not what wins games in the big picture. It worked for Denver this season but it is not the norm. It takes talent across the board, not just one or two great players. JJ Watt is the best defensive player in the NFL. How many playoff wins do the Texans have? The only team in history to go undefeated was Miami. They had what was called the no name defense. No superstars, just good players across the board.

He has a point, cynicism aside.  We wont contend until we get far better players on defense.  The 72 dolphins are Irelevant man that was 45 years ago

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Every team in the NFL has a playmaker or two on the defense. That is not what wins games in the big picture. It worked for Denver this season but it is not the norm. It takes talent across the board, not just one or two great players. JJ Watt is the best defensive player in the NFL. How many playoff wins do the Texans have? The only team in history to go undefeated was Miami. They had what was called the no name defense. No superstars, just good players across the board.

Having a good defense is what wins championships. Ask Seattle, Denver, New England and Pittsburgh. How do you have a good defense? By having GOOD players. Not average to below-average players that fill out most of the Colts defense.

3 hours ago, Restored said:

Having a good defense is what wins championships. Ask Seattle, Denver, New England and Pittsburgh. How do you have a good defense? By having GOOD players. Not average to below-average players that fill out most of the Colts defense.

Where did I say the Colts didn't need a good defense? I cant help it if you missed the jest of my comment.

On 2/23/2016 at 10:51 AM, Restored said:

Right. All I was pointing out is that Elway has done superiorly well in comparison to Grigson in drafting players to make that defense a juggernaut.

miller was the key to their run and he was taken with the second over all pick

thats why id be ok with tanking during a season like this last one, where we were not contending 

21 hours ago, Restored said:

Don't forget good coaches .

In Indy defense has been an issue every since Dungy was hired & Pagano both coachs  have failed to do what they were hired to do .

Dungy gets a pass but the defense that turned it on to win a Lombardi did it after being the leagues worst regular season D they sucked & all of a sudden were great  did the players all of a sudden get really good ? 

The Colts are a team that has placed a priority on offense & not on defense since the 98 draft that has to change . 

2 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Don't forget good coaches .

In Indy defense has been an issue every since Dungy was hired & Pagano both coachs  have failed to do what they were hired to do .

Dungy gets a pass but the defense that turned it on to win a Lombardi did it after being the leagues worst regular season D they sucked & all of a sudden were great  did the players all of a sudden get really good ? 

The Colts are a team that has placed a priority on offense & not on defense since the 98 draft that has to change . 

I mentioned good coaching in my post prior to that one. Denver already had good players in a vanilla defense (they were still pretty good), the coaching staff this year turned them into an elite defense. I'm just of the belief that the Colts don't have enough good players in place to really warrant them playing better under new coaches. Hope I'm wrong.

The difference with those Dungy teams is that they weren't designed to win games defensively like the Broncos were this year. The offense was tailored to build leads and allow the defense to sit back and tee off. Dungy did have some good seasons (05' and 07') which is more than what we can say for Pagano's defenses to this point.