Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bproland's Pre-Combine Mock Offseason

Not saying this will happen, but this is a near realistic scenario of what I would like to happen...

Cuts

WR Andre Johnson, OLB Trent Cole, ILB D'Qwell Jackson, OLB Erik Walden, DT Art Jones

Resigns

K Adam Vinatieri - 2 years, 4 mil

ILB Jerrell Freeman - 3 years, 13 mil

DE Billy Winn - 2 years, 3 mil

TE Coby Fleener - 4 years, 24 mil

Free agent signs

CB Trumaine Johnson - 4 years, 26 mil

OG Jeff Allen - 3 years, 18 mil

RT Mitchell Schwartz - 4 years, 30 mil

FS Tashan Gipson - 4 years, 20 mil

Draft

Round 1 Pick 18: Jaylon Smith, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame
Round 2 Pick 17: Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech
Round 3 Pick 19: Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State
Round 4 Pick 18: Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois
Round 5 Pick 16: Paul Perkins, RB, UCLA
Round 6 Pick 3 (S.F.): Victor Ochi, OLB, Stony Brook

(trades - Indy trades 2016 7th and 2017 6th for 2016 6th round pick)

Analysis

Smith gives Indy their cornerstone leader of the defense going forward. A do it all LB, Smith can play the Jamie Collins role, providing pass rush, covering WRs and TEs, and making tackles sideline to sideline. Fan favorite pick as well being as he is from Fort Wayne, IN. Butler is rising so Indy may have to trade up a little in the 2nd to get him, but he could play all over Indy's DL. Specifically he will most be used at NT overtaking Parry for the starting spot by midseason. Ogbah may not fall this far, but he doenst have great burst from a pass rush standpoint so that could cause him to drop a little. He could play the Erik Walden role unless he shows he can fill the Mathis or Suggs role. Ward is a DE I am warming up to. Has very good burst and pass rush for a player his size at 6-5, 295. He would furthermore add to this impressive DL rotation and could play the Malik Jackson role. Perkins is a good slashing runner who is great at pass catching. Luck now has his dangerous dump off weapon underneath. Ochi is undersized but could be groomed into what Johnathon Newsome was supposed to be.

IMO the contracts for all your FA's,except for Schwartz, are very low. And the chances of Ogbah falling to the 3rd round are slim to none. 

If free agency and the draft play out like this way we would have the most complete team of the Luck era. 

39 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

My only thought is center.  Since you didn't draft one I might be more inclined to take Stefan W. over Schwartz.  Center worries me.  I think they might bring Lowery back or give it to Gaethers.  Otherwise I like it.

Yeah but like I said there are not many options out there for quality centers in free agency or even the draft for that matter. And Mitchell Schwartz is a much better player than Wisnewski. Schwartz will only be 27 when the season starts and you won't need to worry about helping him much on the right side when he's there.

I believe Wisnewski will also be 27 when the season starts and by all accounts he had a very good year last year.  I think if I had my choice I would draft one of the two top centers.  They are both projected to be day one starters.   Of course it probably comes down to size of the contracts in free agency.  Both are quality players in their positions. 

Why would we cut Cole, Walden, and Jackson but then draft only two LB's in the draft?  You would be depleting our depth and I doubt we would cut Walden since he does what we need him to do and only has a small cap hit.  IMO Jaylon is an OLB so we would need to draft an ILB still.  Also, I feel like many of those picks will not be available for us.

Maybe we take Vernon Butler in the 1st?
Zero chance we stay pat at Center so Gooooonk!
Grigson/Irsay are again looking ___ with Luck`s protection, so they Almost assuredly will do an Extreme BUY somewhere on the line.

I figure a big surprise as to how far you are off on T Johnsons worth.
  Fun, and kinda fruitless, but we love to think football and do a little GMin'. lol

22 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Why would we cut Cole, Walden, and Jackson but then draft only two LB's in the draft?  You would be depleting our depth and I doubt we would cut Walden since he does what we need him to do and only has a small cap hit.  IMO Jaylon is an OLB so we would need to draft an ILB still.  Also, I feel like many of those picks will not be available for us.

Jaylon would most likely be our Jamie Collins, playing inside and outside.

On 2/17/2016 at 8:57 PM, BProland85 said:

Not saying this will happen, but this is a near realistic scenario of what I would like to happen...

Cuts

WR Andre Johnson, OLB Trent Cole, ILB D'Qwell Jackson, OLB Erik Walden, DT Art Jones

Resigns

K Adam Vinatieri - 2 years, 4 mil

ILB Jerrell Freeman - 3 years, 13 mil

DE Billy Winn - 2 years, 3 mil

TE Coby Fleener - 4 years, 24 mil

Free agent signs

CB Trumaine Johnson - 4 years, 26 mil

OG Jeff Allen - 3 years, 18 mil

RT Mitchell Schwartz - 4 years, 30 mil

FS Tashan Gipson - 4 years, 20 mil

Draft

Round 1 Pick 18: Jaylon Smith, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame
Round 2 Pick 17: Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech
Round 3 Pick 19: Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State
Round 4 Pick 18: Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois
Round 5 Pick 16: Paul Perkins, RB, UCLA
Round 6 Pick 3 (S.F.): Victor Ochi, OLB, Stony Brook

(trades - Indy trades 2016 7th and 2017 6th for 2016 6th round pick)

Analysis

Smith gives Indy their cornerstone leader of the defense going forward. A do it all LB, Smith can play the Jamie Collins role, providing pass rush, covering WRs and TEs, and making tackles sideline to sideline. Fan favorite pick as well being as he is from Fort Wayne, IN. Butler is rising so Indy may have to trade up a little in the 2nd to get him, but he could play all over Indy's DL. Specifically he will most be used at NT overtaking Parry for the starting spot by midseason. Ogbah may not fall this far, but he doenst have great burst from a pass rush standpoint so that could cause him to drop a little. He could play the Erik Walden role unless he shows he can fill the Mathis or Suggs role. Ward is a DE I am warming up to. Has very good burst and pass rush for a player his size at 6-5, 295. He would furthermore add to this impressive DL rotation and could play the Malik Jackson role. Perkins is a good slashing runner who is great at pass catching. Luck now has his dangerous dump off weapon underneath. Ochi is undersized but could be groomed into what Johnathon Newsome was supposed to be.

I would LOVE to have Jaylon Smith, but I don't think ILB is as high a priority as pass rusher and CB.  Toler is likely gone, Trent Cole is likely gone and Newsome might have a suspension this year.  Freeman and Jackson are a decent ILB combo.

And that's just on defense.  I would be surprised if the Colts didn't go Oline with their 1st pick.  Try to get another Jack Mewhort type player that can plug holes anywhere on the OLine.

On 2/17/2016 at 8:57 PM, BProland85 said:

Cuts

OLB Erik Walden

Why?  He's played well and he's played in at least 15 games every season...and he will be in a contract year this coming season.  I think it is pretty bold to think we're going to draft a guy in the 3rd or 7th round to immediately come in and replace him...a position we are already thin at.  JMO

We can't go with Holmes again. C is the weakest position on the team. I think Grigs brings in Mack. I'd prefer Jones or Wisneski because of age and price. 

Don't see Schwartz or Gipson. The owner and GM seemed happy with Good. I am not sold but I don't think we go RT in FA. If we want a new RT it will be in the draft. Although Allen, who I really hope we sign had the RT spot locked up in KC before being injured. He came back at RG. 

Johnson is possible. That's who I'd like to see us sign. We need to get a #2 CB almost as badly as a C in FA. 

I just don't think we do a lot in FA. I would be happy if we could bring in 3 guys Davis to play C Allen to challenge for a spot on the right side at G or T. Then one of the better CB.. Johnson works for me. 

I don't think there is anyway Walden isn't back. He might be the most underrated player on the board. I would not be surprised if we restructure Jones and keep DQ another year. I could go either way on both. 

The draft looks good. I think we might be able to get Butler in the 3rd and Ogbah is gone before then hopefully to someone else. Jenkins 2nd Butler 3rd would look good. If Thompson is there in the 2nd I would grab him. Smith, Butler, Ward, and Ochi I'd be happy with all 4.