Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How John Fox wasted Peytons Time in Denver, basically quit on Both Carolina & Broncos Teams before leaving both

bayone

article Title

John Fox’s stunning betrayals help set up an epic Super Bowl 50

By Will Petersen -

February 3, 2016

- long article

Touches many Miscues and basically say's he knew bears position was his if ? when lost to colts in playoffs last year & wife actually was desperately shopping furniture for a move before the playoff  game

EXCERPT

Regarding Indy Playoff loss before his firing

Fox had his next job essentially lined up before the Indianapolis game, and it benefitted him to lose that day. "

PERSONALLY I dont like that, US colts fans know we beat them good

Regarding last season in Carolina

article also said disagreements with management led him to , well " Fox tanked that 2010 season " & then left for Denver and Panthers then Picked Cam 

Here's how he prepped them for Peytons's last SB

EXCERPT

" The next year, Manning came back on a mission, leading the Broncos all the way to Super Bowl XLVIII, while Fox picked out his favorite cloud shapes in the sky. The coach badly botched Super Bowl week preparation, practicing without noise (how’d that first snap go?) and then claiming afterward he had no idea the game could possibly be loud.

Players were also out of control under Fox’s watch. One member of the Broncos went right to a strip club upon his arrival in New York. Another was so inebriated that the Broncos staff literally couldn’t find him one morning. And finally, I witnessed another Broncos player with eyes redder than a fire truck fall asleep during early morning media availability, the booze wafting off him like a sophomore in college after a fraternity mixer. Fox had no control of his team and it showed during the embarrassing 43-8 beatdown at the hands of the Seahawks."

http://milehighsports.com/john-foxs-stunning-betrayals-help-set-up-an-epic-super-bowl-50/#4Fxez6Tc8lmiwmtO.99

1 hour ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

Wow.  That article was a bit harsh.

Thats why I posted it, brings up repetitive , if not harsh Questionable  behavior if accurate

1 hour ago, BrentMc11 said:

I guess that means that John Elway has no control of HIS team, and wasted Manning's time...

'poop' runs down-hill...just sayin':blah::dunno:.....

Yes it does, , also John enticed Peyton 1 more year, less money and I will build u that O line

Well he earned back half that money

But that O-line he wasted on many old Kubiack contacts in off sesason signing  most were dropped / let go save for Harris , Daniels & FS Stewart has also worked out, but was like an old boys club of ex dumped Texans & Ravens

Also if he only did that win now trade for Joe Thomas & in end Thomas said he was willing to go to Denver after first saying he didnt want to be traded , Elway said It, wasnt the money, wasnt the 2nd round draft pick ( maybe next year or the compensatory was a years away, 1 was i think )  ) , but Elway didnt waant to give a compensatory 3rd and offered only a 5th, Never heard he tried to compromise with split the middle to a 4th

Man what a better line , better protection and more consistent run game

Oh well, it is what it is, we will never know all the real details of anything

-----------------------

Then again why in the world would Peyton  announce Wed he  eventually needs to undergo hip replacement surgery    just before the Superbowl ( he couldn't wait till after the game ), no wonder he can start a game stronger and then slow down when moving from under center and using play action

It just paints a bigger bulls-eye on his hip as well as other troubled areas that when driven to the ground Panthers may try and make sure that area gets landed on

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25472551/peyton-manning-reveals-he-eventually-needs-hip-replacement-surgery

Without attempting to defend John Fox,  I'd say that is one writer who has a serious HATE of John Fox.

I mean,  serious, SERIOUS Hate.

I'm guessing he's a columnist and not a beat writer.     In other words,  he's inserting as much personal opinion as he is writing the facts.      

But he made this personal -- quite personal.    And I'm always a bit skeptical when writers make things personal like this.       There was nothing new here -- the writer has been saving this for some time and for maximum exposure.     It'll be interesting to see if this has been picked up by anyone else.

I'm sure there is some truth in this story.    The question is......    how much?

17 minutes ago, Live and let live said:

My only problem with Fox is that he was way too conservative considering how well his offense was playing.

still cant believe he he kneeled with time on the clock in that Raven playoff loss, showed no confidence in team

probably was best chance to win it all, very well rounded , double OT and the coldest game got colder

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Without attempting to defend John Fox,  I'd say that is one writer who has a serious HATE of John Fox.

I'm guessing he's a columnist and not a beat writer.     In other words,  he's inserting as much personal opinion as he is writing the facts.      

But he made this personal -- quite personal.    And I'm always a bit skeptical when writers make things personal like this.       There was nothing new here -- the writer has been saving this for some time and for maximum exposure.     It'll be interesting to see if this has been picked up by anyone else.

I'm sure there is some truth in this story.    The question is......    how much?

Like all such tales the truth is somewhere in between, but tell ya, I watch all Peyton Denver games and if conflicted with colts had a slit screen available

Fox really had no game management & loved to challenge when all knew he would fail and didnt when should of

He was a happy go likely smiley guy on the sidelines and never seemed to truly  inspire when needed nor discipline appropriately  when needed

2nd source sort of

in story about this years Broncos is the following note

"Word leaked out, through one of John Fox's closest confidants in the media, just prior to the Broncos hosting the Colts last year in the Divisional Playoffs, that this was likely the end of the Fox/Elway marriage. "

Did fox know something already on the side Re the bears as  

Fox took the highly unusual path of walking away from his remaining years and salary to simply leave. "

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25472617/peyton-manning-gary-kubiak-and-the-broncos-strange-super-bowl-trip

The same John Fox who led Carolina to the Super Bowl in his 2nd year with Jake Delhomme, led a Tim Tebow QB'ed team to 8-8 and a playoff win, and took Denver to the Super Bowl, beating NE in the AFC Championship game.

Agree that Broncos looked unprepared for the Super Bowl, but I think a lot of teams would have looked that way against Seattle that year.

I think he was well aware that anything other than a Super Bowl win last year and he was a goner. Smart to line up his next gig, and I doubt it was at the expense of his current team.

32 minutes ago, coltsva said:

The same John Fox who led Carolina to the Super Bowl in his 2nd year with Jake Delhomme, led a Tim Tebow QB'ed team to 8-8 and a playoff win, and took Denver to the Super Bowl, beating NE in the AFC Championship game.

Agree that Broncos looked unprepared for the Super Bowl, but I think a lot of teams would have looked that way against Seattle that year.

I think he was well aware that anything other than a Super Bowl win last year and he was a goner. Smart to line up his next gig, and I doubt it was at the expense of his current team.

I agree...

And John Fox wasn't on the Colts defense defending their receivers and strio sacking Manning; and I don't think he was playing QB over throwing receivers....

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I appreciate your insights here NCF & I agree with your read on this story too. I just have a problem with a reporter who sounds too emotional vs objective in my estimation. Also, who cares about Fox's wife trying to sell furniture? I'm sorry let's judge a coach on his record of wins & loses not what his wife did or did not do. 

I will concede that Fox's clock management in games left a lot to be desired, but it's a huge stretch by the reporter to leave the impression that Fox was deliberately tanking games or trying to fail on the field intentionally. 

I don't mind personal feelings about a coach good or bad as long as the journalist balances that with stats or discloses that he or she is leaving their own perspective on Fox's legacy that is unscientific & they acknowledge their bias favorable or not openly. 

I don't hold this column in high regard or the person who filed the report. 

15 hours ago, Narcosys said:

If that is truly what he did,  which it seems so, it's not harsh at all.  Truth hurts sometimes. 

What seems so exactly? I didn't see a timeline of proof established about anything Will Peterson said about John Fox. 

So Peterson knows for a fact that Fox intentionally tried to lose the Broncos SB in 2013 so he could secure the job with the Chicago Bears faster? Come on that's beyond absurd & bordering on a delusional conspiracy. 

While it was suspected that Fox was unprepared for how loud Seahawks fans would be at Met Life Stadium in NJ, you can't possibly think that Fox wanted the Broncos not to hear calls at the line of scrimmage & lose the game miserably in an effort to get fired by John Elway at season's end & land in the Windy City next year. That inference is just beyond ludicrous to me. 

If the reporter, Will Peterson, wants to claim that John Fox has poor clock management skills & can't adapt on the sidelines fast enough that's okay. However, to create the misguided impression that Fox tried deliberately to sabotage the SB in 2013 & he & his wife were scheming to leave Denver as soon as possible that year waiting for a better coaching deal to present itself is just lame, pathetic, asinine, & worth zero merit at all to me. 

9 hours ago, southwest1 said:

What seems so exactly? I didn't see a timeline of proof established about anything Will Peterson said about John Fox. 

So Peterson knows for a fact that Fox intentionally tried to lose the Broncos SB in 2013 so he could secure the job with the Chicago Bears faster? Come on that's beyond absurd & bordering on a delusional conspiracy. 

While it was suspected that Fox was unprepared for how loud Seahawks fans would be at Met Life Stadium in NJ, you can't possibly think that Fox wanted the Broncos not to hear calls at the line of scrimmage & lose the game miserably in an effort to get fired by John Elway at season's end & land in the Windy City next year. That inference is just beyond ludicrous to me. 

If the reporter, Will Peterson, wants to claim that John Fox has poor clock management skills & can't adapt on the sidelines fast enough that's okay. However, to create the misguided impression that Fox tried deliberately to sabotage the SB in 2013 & he & his wife were scheming to leave Denver as soon as possible that year waiting for a better coaching deal to present itself is just lame, pathetic, asinine, & worth zero merit at all to me. 

The claim is he already had the job.  Which he did,  announced 3 days after loss to colts.   So with how quickly he was hired is suspicious and lends to his lack of effort in the game.  The article never said he lost the SB to get hired,  that was the year prior,  so idk where you're pulling that from.  

He has a history of quitting on teams when he doesn't think he will be there the following year,  ie. the panthers s mentioned in the article. 

I think you need to reread the article because,  again,  it's not claiming he lost the SB. It's claiming he lacked the effort or care to beat the colts.  

2 hours ago, Narcosys said:

The claim is he already had the job.  Which he did,  announced 3 days after loss to colts.   So with how quickly he was hired is suspicious and lends to his lack of effort in the game.  The article never said he lost the SB to get hired,  that was the year prior,  so idk where you're pulling that from.  

He has a history of quitting on teams when he doesn't think he will be there the following year,  ie. the panthers s mentioned in the article. 

I think you need to reread the article because,  again,  it's not claiming he lost the SB. It's claiming he lacked the effort or care to beat the colts.  

With all due respect, just because someone landed a different NFL job in the league it doesn't mean that John Fox said to himself "screw it I'm gonna tank the SB just because Elway let me go." 

Did you ever consider the possibility that Elway sat down with Fox as early as October or November & said "with the team I have assembled here in Denver,  I expect us to make a deep playoff run & if we play in the SB, you better have these guys prepared to play well otherwise, Pat Bowlen & I will look in a new coaching direction." 

Were you privy to any front office Bronco discussions in 2013 with Elway & John? No, I don't think so.

So let me get this straight Narcosys. If you take a new job & leave your previous place of employment for more money or better benefits, does that mean you hated your previous boss & tried to sabotage the company you used to work for? Do you realize how far fetched you sound right now?  

Your buying into the unfounded argument that Fox was unprepared on purpose & even if he was, wouldn't that be an indictment against Elway then for hiring Fox too prematurely then? 

17 hours ago, southwest1 said:

7 hours ago, Narcosys said:

simply came on to wish Peyton luck, but I started this thread and have time for only 1 comment so felt need to comment on my thread so to be Clear 

SW , My Friend Read the highlighted part ,, he may not have been prepped for SB as well as could, after watching every Peyton game yes he made many a questionable call and loved to challenge when it was an obvious loss and not when would of been a win & never seemed to show faith  & inspire the team when needed and double OT playoff loss, the year they could have won it all , great coaching on Flaccos tying hail Mary TD, & then  that 30 second left kneel down when Peyton still had an arm and a FG to win was all that was needed well , just to many issues. He just smiled and let Peyton Roll all the time 

But the u have your years mixed up the SB was 2013, it was 2014 her had the Bears supposedly locked up going into the Colts game and wife was already shopping furniture for the move

Other web sites at the time, I think i remember, i can be wrong, also wondered about it before the colt game  , 

His history in Carolina wasnt great in things he did ,. just saying many a questionable attributes often mean something is true to some extent behind the scenes , like myths based somewhat on truths in certain instances

anyway its been a long time since we disagreed, Still Love Ya my friend

Barry

1 hour ago, bayone said:

simply came on to wish Peyton luck, but I started this thread and have time for only 1 comment so felt need to comment on my thread so to be Clear 

SW , My Friend Read the highlighted part ,, he may not have been prepped for SB as well as could, after watching every Peyton game yes he made many a questionable call and loved to challenge when it was an obvious loss and not when would of been a win & never seemed to show faith  & inspire the team when needed and double OT playoff loss, the year they could have won it all , great coaching on Flaccos tying hail Mary TD, & then  that 30 second left kneel down when Peyton still had an arm and a FG to win was all that was needed well , just to many issues. He just smiled and let Peyton Roll all the time 

But the u have your years mixed up the SB was 2013, it was 2014 her had the Bears supposedly locked up going into the Colts game and wife was already shopping furniture for the move

Other web sites at the time, I think i remember, i can be wrong, also wondered about it before the colt game  , 

His history in Carolina wasnt great in things he did ,. just saying many a questionable attributes often mean something is true to some extent behind the scenes , like myths based somewhat on truths in certain instances

anyway its been a long time since we disagreed, Still Love Ya my friend

Barry

Thanks for the additional info Barry. I think the world of you too. I just have a hard time believing that Fox gave up on the Broncos & wanted an easy exit to Chicago for another lucrative 4 yr. paycheck. Could I be dead wrong? Sure, it's possible. To me, a failure to prepare for crowd noise vs the Seahawks 2 weeks beforehand is more darning than say Fox's wife trying to sell the house or furniture in Colorado. Maybe Fox was just out coached by Pete Carroll & his LBs hit harder than Denver's all game long. 

I was devastated when Denver lost like they did too buddy but I'm not gonna call Coach Fox lazy because Denver got it's clock cleaned in 2013. Games always come down to a player's drive & execution between the hash marks especially at the SB. Coaches can only do so much on the fly in real time. 

In addition, after awhile every guy in a locker room zones a coach's pep talk, morale boosting speeches out because they're not new anymore they're predictable. Maybe that's all that happened here as well. Denver players needed a new head coaching voice. This occurrence happens a lot anywhere from 4-7 years on average.  

If Elway claimed that Fox's departure to Chicago came as a complete shock to him, you'd have a point. However, both men split amicably & no VP of Football Operations disclosed that they were betrayed or blindsided by how swiftly it was announced Fox was the new Bears HC. Hades, everybody on Fox's staff was told to look for work elsewhere & Jack Del Rio landed in Oakland for instance. How come no one asks how soon he was hired? There's no smoke or fire in this artificial Fox scandal IMHO. 

Lastly, if Denver had beat Seattle in 2013 in the SB, would anybody care or raise a fuss about this allegation? No, the story only has legs because the Broncos were humiliated on international TV with the final score. 

You have to blame Elway for making the John Fox hire, right? He knew what kind of coach he was getting. Both got lucky winning the Peyton sweepstakes and the Broncos sustained high level turnaround (not just a fluky year here and there) happened faster short term because of Peyton. But then, Elway is a God in Broncos country and he can't do any wrong, right? Where is the blame for Peyton? I don't see much. So blame it all on John Fox. Yeah, right!!!

It is a half baked article at best, IMO. Yes, John Fox was not a top 5 coach in the NFL and he made enough mistakes that were magnified more because the expectations were high in the playoffs but not giving him enough credit for his 4 years with the Broncos is not close to fair, IMO.

10 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Thanks for the additional info Barry. I think the world of you too. I just have a hard time believing that Fox gave up on the Broncos & wanted an easy exit to Chicago for another lucrative 4 yr. paycheck. Could I be dead wrong? Sure, it's possible. To me, a failure to prepare for crowd noise vs the Seahawks 2 weeks beforehand is more darning than say Fox's wife trying to sell the house or furniture in Colorado. Maybe Fox was just out coached by Pete Carroll & his LBs hit harder than Denver's all game long. 

I was devastated when Denver lost like they did too buddy but I'm not gonna call Coach Fox lazy because Denver got it's clock cleaned in 2013. Games always come down to a player's drive & execution between the hash marks especially at the SB. Coaches can only do so much on the fly in real time. 

In addition, after awhile every guy in a locker room zones a coach's pep talk, morale boosting speeches out because they're not new anymore they're predictable. Maybe that's all that happened here as well. Denver players needed a new head coaching voice. This occurrence happens a lot anywhere from 4-7 years on average.  

If Elway claimed that Fox's departure to Chicago came as a complete shock to him, you'd have a point. However, both men split amicably & no VP of Football Operations disclosed that they were betrayed or blindsided by how swiftly it was announced Fox was the new Bears HC. Hades, everybody on Fox's staff was told to look for work elsewhere & Jack Del Rio landed in Oakland for instance. How come no one asks how soon he was hired? There's no smoke or fire in this artificial Fox scandal IMHO. 

Lastly, if Denver had beat Seattle in 2013 in the SB, would anybody care or raise a fuss about this allegation? No, the story only has legs because the Broncos were humiliated on international TV with the final score. 

we both could be dead wrong , behind the scenes who ever knows, meanwhile we both can have opinions of him, thats football

23 hours ago, southwest1 said:

With all due respect, just because someone landed a different NFL job in the league it doesn't mean that John Fox said to himself "screw it I'm gonna tank the SB just because Elway let me go." 

Did you ever consider the possibility that Elway sat down with Fox as early as October or November & said "with the team I have assembled here in Denver,  I expect us to make a deep playoff run & if we play in the SB, you better have these guys prepared to play well otherwise, Pat Bowlen & I will look in a new coaching direction." 

Were you privy to any front office Bronco discussions in 2013 with Elway & John? No, I don't think so.

So let me get this straight Narcosys. If you take a new job & leave your previous place of employment for more money or better benefits, does that mean you hated your previous boss & tried to sabotage the company you used to work for? Do you realize how far fetched you sound right now?  

Your buying into the unfounded argument that Fox was unprepared on purpose & even if he was, wouldn't that be an indictment against Elway then for hiring Fox too prematurely then? 

Get off of this SB loss stint, he was fired after the colts loss in the divisional round.  Fox knew his staff was going,  so he wouldn't have his people. Less incentive.  Knew he would be fired if he lost,  less incentive.  He has shown a history of quitting in the season. He was hired 3 days after being fired.  But you don't find that the least bit coincidental when the broncos hadn't given anyone permission to talk to fox before he was fired.  Plus his wife was shopping around before the game.  He knew he was leaving before the colts game.  

You're leaving out the contextual situation of the nfl. I can look for another job while I'm in one job.  You're not supposed to in the nfl. 

But if you want to go there,  if I know that I have a job secured and my current employer and I are not on good terms, I may be less inclined to do my best for the last couple of days.  It's called short timers syndrome and it is far from uncommon. You can fake the high road if you want, but everyone does it. 

There's no proof to confirm,  but there is circumstantial evidence to provide reasonable suspicion. 

16 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I just have a hard time believing that Fox gave up on the Broncos & wanted an easy exit to Chicago for another lucrative 4 yr. paycheck. Could I be dead wrong? Sure, it's possible. 

You realize how counter productive that would be?  

If you have a guaranteed job with better incentives and pay all around,  why in the world would you work hard to stay in your current job longer? You would leave as soon as you could.