Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is a new coach really coming?

Jonathan24

Just now, Jonathan24 said:

I saw that chuck doesnt know what his status is.  After the meeting with Irsay it is still up in the air.  I am thinking that Chuck will be back because he hasnt been fired yet or this could be another mismanagement by the team.

Why would it be "mismanagement" -- because the decision isn't being made (or announced) as quickly as some fans want?

Obviously, the longer this drags out, the better the chance that Pagano (and/or Grigson) will be retained.  But maybe Irsay's taking the temperature of the marketplace.  After all, his choice isn't between Pagano and "The Ideal Coach."  His choice is between Pagano and somebody else he could realistically hire.  And maybe that's not such an easy choice to make.

If the candidates he would prefer over Pagano are not available, then isn't keeping Pagano the best decision?

3 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

yes, you can be sure that a new coach is coming.  there is no way Pagano will be back.  Likely Grigson will fall too.  I would put a 99.9 percent on pagano and a 70 percent on Grigson to be ousted.

If Grigson is back I'll be extremely frustrated. They need to go after a knowledgeable savvy football guy who knows how to manage an NFL roster with a history of success as their next GM.

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

Why would it be "mismanagement" -- because the decision isn't being made (or announced) as quickly as some fans want?

Obviously, the longer this drags out, the better the chance that Pagano (and/or Grigson) will be retained.  But maybe Irsay's taking the temperature of the marketplace.  After all, his choice isn't between Pagano and "The Ideal Coach."  His choice is between Pagano and somebody else he could realistically hire.  And maybe that's not such an easy choice to make.

If the candidates he would prefer over Pagano are not available, then isn't keeping Pagano the best decision?

well, things have changed and now I'm pretty sure he'll be back (because they said there WAS a press conference and then they re-canted that they said that)..... so my stance has changed to that he (Coach Chuck Pagano) will be back next year (UGH!!!) and that Grigson will also be back (Double-UGH!!!).... so now we have to put up with all this drama for an entire off season and 16 season and barf.

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

Interesting considering Pagano can't be fired.

He could. Contract is through March.  

IDK what the typical thing is. Let the contract run out? Or fire him.   

Maybe that's what they're discussing?  

He cannot interview for a new job if he's under contract IIRC.  

That would be pretty low of Irsay though.

1 minute ago, chrisfarley said:

well, things have changed and now I'm pretty sure he'll be back (because they said there WAS a press conference and then they re-canted that they said that)..... so my stance has changed to that he (Coach Chuck Pagano) will be back next year (UGH!!!) and that Grigson will also be back (Double-UGH!!!).... so now we have to put up with all this drama for an entire off season and 16 season and barf.

Why are you pretty sure he'll be back?  I'm not "pretty sure" of anything at this point.  And I don't think anybody should be.  Even Pat McAfee is admitting to refreshing Twitter -- which suggests that he's not sure of anything.

Yes, the delay is a positive sign for Pagano (if not Grigson).  But that doesn't mean he won't ultimately be let go.  It just means that no decision has been made yet.

It's amazing how impatient we've become as a society.

4 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Why are you pretty sure he'll be back?  I'm not "pretty sure" of anything at this point.  And I don't think anybody should be.  Even Pat McAfee is admitting to refreshing Twitter -- which suggests that he's not sure of anything.

Yes, the delay is a positive sign for Pagano (if not Grigson).  But that doesn't mean he won't ultimately be let go.  It just means that no decision has been made yet.

It's amazing how impatient we've become as a society.

LOL, indeed, we are impatient.  I was just watching NFL.com and they call this very peculiar so it's just a wait and see.... but these types of delays would usually favor the coach.  Coach comes back under the arrangement that Grigson leaves him to the coaching.  Problem is, we know what his coaching is like.