Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jimmy Graham not exactly thrilled with his role on the Seahawks

RockThatBlue

Well, they asked for it, they got it, "Toyota". :)

Unlike Harvin that they could trade, too much of a price has been paid for Graham. He was a 3rd round pick for the Saints and they got a 1st rounder out of the Seahawks for him, a steal if you ask me for the Saints. 

Can't say I blame him. He's not getting passes thrown to him, and they aren't using him at all the way the Saints did.

I always wanted Graham to be turned into a wide receiver cause that's how the Saints used him. We definitely miss him that's for sure, and I don't think Seattle even needed him since Wilson only threw to him twice Sunday evening. 

Unlike Harvin that they could trade, too much of a price has been paid for Graham. He was a 3rd round pick for the Saints and they got a 1st rounder out of the Seahawks for him, a steal if you ask me for the Saints. 

We got Max Unger for Graham, who was supposed to some how fix our offensive line problems. Brees is already hurt, and we have absolutely no weapons on offense now since Brandon Cooks is so easy to shut down, and we gave away Kenny Stills for practically nothing.

I don't think the Saints have won this trade at all since our offense is truly suffering. Graham may be overrated as a tight end, but the Saints clearly miss his presence on the short routes since our receivers can't catch anything now when they're covered. 

We got Max Unger for Graham, who was supposed to some how fix our offensive line problems. Brees is already hurt, and we have absolutely no weapons on offense now since Brandon Cooks is so easy to shut down, and we gave away Kenny Stills for practically nothing.

I don't think the Saints have won this trade at all since our offense is truly suffering. Graham may be overrated as a tight end, but the Saints clearly miss his presence on the short routes since our receivers can't catch anything now when they're covered. 

Bogie. As for the Kenny Stills thing. Yeah man, that was just stupid on you guys' part LOL. Why would somebody trade away a young, cheep, playmaking WR for nothing in return? I mean it literally makes no sense. And personally I thought the Graham move was a bad one too.

Can't say I blame him. He's not getting passes thrown to him, and they aren't using him at all the way the Saints did.

I always wanted Graham to be turned into a wide receiver cause that's how the Saints used him. We definitely miss him that's for sure, and I don't think Seattle even needed him since Wilson only threw to him twice Sunday evening. 

I know right. Why acquire such a tall, athletic presence who can use his body & ability to catch balls out of the sky & then never use him as an end zone weapon? I'd be miffed if I was Jimmy too. Like OC Darrell Bevell, what exactly are you doing? 

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2814932/Hawk-Talk-highlights-Evaluating-Darrell-Bevell-revisiting-the-Max-UngerJimmy-Graham-trade

What's surprising to me is how Pete Carroll says he's frustrated with Graham's lack of production.  What do you expect when you only throw at him twice in a game?

Exactly 21, if Pete Carroll was heavily regarded as a premier coach after beating the Broncos & their high octane offense in 2013 during the SB, a lot of that shine & luster has worn off now even with Kam Chancellor's return. 

His job along with his OC is to devise ways to get playmakers like Graham the ball. That's why Pete gets all that money man. He can't blame Jimmy for his own incompetence. That's insane. I agree 100%

If I was the Saints I would've kept Sproles, cant believe they let him go last year. You can just dump it off to him and he's capable of taking it to the house everytime.

Yeah, I'm still scratching my head over why HC Sean Payton let Sproles go to Philly. That dude is elusive as hades & like a mexican jumping bean. He's laser beam fast man. Zoom! 

If I was Drew Brees, I would have told Sean "Over my dead body man. He's not leaving the Bayou man. I need him to win games. I ain't no spring chicken myself dude & I lobbied to bring him here in the 1st place." 

This guy is a horrible fit for that team...maybe the Colts should have gone for Graham and cut Fleener. 

haha If Jimmy liked to block, I'd put him up front to protect Chewbacca AKA Luck, but it's not his thing so that idea wouldn't fly unfortunately. Not a bad brainstorming idea on the surface though IWF. 

Bogie. As for the Kenny Stills thing. Yeah man, that was just stupid on you guys' part LOL. Why would somebody trade away a young, cheep, playmaking WR for nothing in return? I mean it literally makes no sense. And personally I thought the Graham move was a bad one too.

The rumor that has been circulating since June is that Kenny Stills didn't get along with Brees. i don't know if that's true or not, but the Saints clearly miss him. Stills was our ONLY deep threat last year. He was the only one that could consistently jump up and catch balls in the double coverage. I was very upset when they traded Stills, cause I've always liked him, and he came up huge for us last year when we were struggling and our receivers weren't doing so hot. 

If I was the Saints I would've kept Sproles, cant believe they let him go last year. You can just dump it off to him and he's capable of taking it to the house everytime.

The Saints had a top rushing unit last year without Sproles. They didn't miss him at all since Ingram stepped right into his place last year and made up. 

Sproles was not as useful to us as Pierre Thomas. They parted ways with him after 2013, cause he was out played dramatically compared to Pierre Thomas, and Ingram had really stepped up his game, and they wanted to make Ingram our premier back (they successfully did this with his big contract this past summer) 

Judging by last year, Ingram played his butt off, with rushing over 900+ yards. This year he's struggling, but after last season, I didn't blame them at all for wanting to make him the premier main running back as well as he was performing. 

Now Pierre Thomas, that's the back we shouldn't have parted ways with whatsoever. Even though he was old, he still was making big plays for us last year...and the guy scored the first touchdown for us in the Super Bowl. He was an explosive receiver when it came to screens. Many fans were very upset when we cut Pierre Thomas this summer, he's an all time best player with our team, and very underrated. He really came up big for us during the 2009 run but was never given any credit as Reggie Bush's spotlight and celebrity image was so much bigger. 

I doubt it happens but I hope they bring Pierre Thomas back for a one day thing like they did with Deuce McAllister and allow him to retire a Saint, cause the guy easily deserves honor from the organization and he'll always be a fan favorite. 

Bogie, 

Although I like Pierre Thomas & Ingram, I consider then both workhorse backs not lightning fast scat backs like Sproles personally. Plus, Darren has great hands to catch the ball out of the back field or downfield. No disrespect to Thomas & Ingram whom I consider bulldozers with decent legs or yards after the catch backs. Sproles is a freaking ferrari man in terms of a 5th gear with breakaway speed. 

Defensive coordinators fear that the most: A scat back so smart & quick they can generate points from anywhere especially on punt returns. Sproles gave the Saints that. Thomas & Ingram really can't. Not Darren's next level speed. Not even close. Look, it always comes down to money & trade value, I get that as a GM. However, it was a mistake to cut Sproles loose IMO. 

Plus, Spoles understood how to use angles against defenders. One minute you think you have him tackled for a loss & then wait, what the hades? Where'd he go?  haha

Again, I like Thomas & Ingram a lot, but there's no substitute for breaking the sound barrier breakaway speed that Darren just falls out of bed with. 

I doubt it happens but I hope they bring Pierre Thomas back for a one day thing like they did with Deuce McAllister and allow him to retire a Saint, cause the guy easily deserves honor from the organization and he'll always be a fan favorite. 

Nicely put Bogie. Beautifully stated. I'd sign that petition even though I'm not a citizen of Louisiana. I have high hopes for Rob Ryan this year too. One of my favorite NFL DCs around. A great guy! 

I had posted a thread in the off-season where Graham had said that much of the offense was predicated on him blocking but he expected to contribute in the pass game. It is interesting to me that Bevell has not found more ways to get him involved as a pass catcher but it is early. The fact that Graham is already frustrated is not a good sign though.

I had posted a thread in the off-season where Graham had said that much of the offense was predicated on him blocking but he expected to contribute in the pass game. It is interesting to me that Bevell has not found more ways to get him involved as a pass catcher but it is early. The fact that Graham is already frustrated is not a good sign though.

It's just hard to take it seriously in the off season without seeing it first. I truly believed they'd do something to help him with that offense. 

What does where they were drafted have to do with anything?

This guy is a horrible fit for that team...maybe the Colts should have gone for Graham and cut Fleener.

Makes me wonder if Ryan Grigson would have even gave a thought to Coby Fleener if it had not been for drafting Luck.

Topic at hand: I believe Seattle just hasn't found where to put him yet, perhaps trying out different things first to see what sticks and what doesn't, instead of simply just giving him one option to run his routes.

It's barely Week 3, Offense/Defense are on the field nearly 50% of the two hour time slot depending on the players' productivity and output. I know Graham is fun to watch, but a serious question..Why do many people expect instant success? New system, new terminology, new QB = growing pangs, regardless if they've had prior success.

Makes me wonder if Ryan Grigson would have even gave a thought to Coby Fleener if it had not been for drafting Luck.

Topic at hand: I believe Seattle just hasn't found where to put him yet, perhaps trying out different things first to see what sticks and what doesn't, instead of simply just giving him one option to run his routes.

It's barely Week 3, Offense/Defense are on the field nearly 50% of the two hour time slot depending on the players' productivity and output. I know Graham is fun to watch, but a serious question..Why do many people expect instant success? New system, new terminology, new QB = growing pangs, regardless if they've had prior success.

Good points. I think they might be better served putting him at WR than TE. I wonder if they may try that.

This always struck me as more of a Madden move then a good move in real football.  Jimmy Graham and Seahawks players already had beefs with each-other BEFORE the trade.  

On top of that you are getting a guy who is solely a receiving TE to play for a run first team.  

On paper it provides Russell Wilson a great receiving threat.  In real life it upsets your locker room and puts a guy who can't block on a team that likes to run the ball a lot.  

I don't think the improvement he provides over Fleener is enough to justify paying him what he gets paid on his contract AND giving up a high pick to do so.

Remember Seattle gave up a really good OL AND a 1st round pick to get him.  He was not cheap at all.  

A lot of weaknesses we could devote those resources to shoring up instead of trying to get a luxury player like Graham.  

I never understood the trade as the Seahawks never use their tight ends to actually catch the ball.  That is why I was baffled that they traded their starting center and a draft pick for a guy that is known for just catching the ball.

Given that receiving core Graham should be leading in targets.  I don't know if it is the OC or Wilson that is the problem, but if I was Pete I would go to both and be like get him the ball.  

Bogie, 

Although I like Pierre Thomas & Ingram, I consider then both workhorse backs not lightning fast scat backs like Sproles personally. Plus, Darren has great hands to catch the ball out of the back field or downfield. No disrespect to Thomas & Ingram whom I consider bulldozers with decent legs or yards after the catch backs. Sproles is a freaking ferrari man in terms of a 5th gear with breakaway speed. 

Defensive coordinators fear that the most: A scat back so smart & quick they can generate points from anywhere especially on punt returns. Sproles gave the Saints that. Thomas & Ingram really can't. Not Darren's next level speed. Not even close. Look, it always comes down to money & trade value, I get that as a GM. However, it was a mistake to cut Sproles loose IMO. 

Plus, Spoles understood how to use angles against defenders. One minute you think you have him tackled for a loss & then wait, what the hades? Where'd he go?  haha

Again, I like Thomas & Ingram a lot, but there's no substitute for breaking the sound barrier breakaway speed that Darren just falls out of bed with. 

Sproles was a liability for the Saints in his final year here at 2013. 

He will always gash the Colts up, sorta like how Julio Jones will always shred the Saints secondary. I know he's had great days against the Colts in the past, but his last year with us, he was really finished. I think he gets judged too highly based off how good he looks against you guys, cause I watched Sproles for 3 years, and only in one of those years did he really stand out with us. 

Sproles does not compare to how Ingram and Pierre Thomas helped us. I don't think people remember our 2012 and 2013 offensive units, and how little of a factor he played with those teams. 

Our 2012 offense truly wasn't all that bad. We averaged 28 points a game, and Brees had a 5,000 yard season. If we actually had our coach that year, I am sure we could have won more than 7 games. However, our big problem was the run that year. The Saints were ranked in the bottom 10 on rushing, and most of 2012 they tried to make Sproles into the premier back, and it was failing. 

Sproles played little of a factor for us in 2013, where he was outplayed by Pierre Thomas, and Ingram was started to step up his game at the end of 2013. 

Philadelphia uses Sproles almost the same to how the Saints were using him by the end of 2013. He's a great special teams player and he can be useful on screens, but he's totally not a running back you can depend on to run through holes all through the game. 

I think we made the right move letting Sproles go, simply because last year we had a top 5 rushing unit without him. We never ran the ball effectively when they tried with Sproles, but it worked without him. 

Sproles comes across to me as a special unit player that works effectively in certain game plans. The Saints tried desperately to make him into a player that could fit in with our offense, and it simply didn't work. 

I miss Pierre Thomas. They shouldn't have let him walk this summer. Just watching the Saints the past few weeks, you can tell they miss the guy. He was always in the shadow while the bigger name RB's got all the glory and credit, but P.T. was a big play maker for us, and far better than Sproles ever was. I'll never forget watching Thomas catch those screens against the Vikings in the NFCCG and dive for the touchdown. He did it again 2 weeks later when he scored the Saints first touchdown in the Super Bowl. Sproles never made plays like that for us when it mattered in the playoffs.