Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pro Football Focus Thinks The Colts Blew It This Off-Season & a 2nd article

bayone

A VERY LONG 2nd article LINK follows, agrees but has a wait & see attitide at end

The stats tracking site Pro Football Focus does not think well of the Colts off-season since the lockout was lifted:

Same old Colts. They’re going to ride Peyton Manning and Dwight Freeney to the playoffs … only it won’t be so easy this year. The Texans and Jags have closed the gap, and you could argue Houston is a stronger team now as well. Indy needed to address their defense and especially the defensive tackle position. Frankly it’s boring talking about how little production they get from the spot. They failed to and, just like in the playoffs last year, powerful teams like the Jets will run right through them.

Again, I know everyone is wanting to get all excited for the team now that camp has arrived, but it is hard to argue with PFF's logic here. I read comments in articles, check outFanPosts like this, and answer all kinds of questions on Twitter. Most of what I have to answer is people practically screaming at me, asking, 'Why haven't the Colts done anything?'

I literally have no answer for them, save speculation that the front office is either incompetent or just that blind to the team's problems.

I have some Colts fans tweeting me stuff like this:

@StampedeBlue I think we have to remember that this is Chris Polians first offseason as Colts president. He obviously has no idea what to do

And this:

@JimIrsay @StampedeBlue Bill needs to focus on signing some TALENT to help team. Not sure if Bill knows this, but Peyton is 35 not 25.

Practically all of Colts Nation tweeted me this weekend, asking if Indy will sign Donte Whitner, or Tommie Harris, or any other player out there that possesses even marginal talent on defense. Prior to Brandon Mebane,Barry Cofield, Barrett Ruud, Amobi Okoye, Eric Weddle, Quintin Mikell, and others signing with their teams, I got request after request from Colts fans asking 'Will Indy sign them? I hope they do!'

I'm not quite ready to say the Colts 'lost' the off-season. But, did several rival teams get better while the Colts, at best, stagnated? Yes. Only the most self-consumed and subjective of fans is going to argue against that.

I guess this is why I'm having a tough time getting excited about the 2011 Colts. I just don't see any significant improvement with the roster, save a few rookies who have not had any OTAs or mini-camps to develop.

And no, getting Dallas Clark and Austin Collie back is not significant improvement when compared to how much better teams around the league got. As you all might recall, Collie and Clark were just fine when the Texans kicked the Colts' butts in Week One last year. You'll also recall that everyone was saying that the return of Bob Sanders and Anthony Gonzalez last year would make the team 'better?' How'd that turn out?

My link

====================

2011 NFL Free agency Colts In Review

VERY LONG ARY TICLE

, similar take,, agrees but a but wait & see attitide at end\

My link

Yeah the Colts have blown the last 9 offseasons and still made the playoffs. Many teams wish they could do that.

Clark and Collie best "offseason" signings in the NFL - improved the offensive line finally and some young talented guys on defence. I will take it! Lets go COLTS!

Free agency is still going; the thing to do during FAs isn't to sign every big name out there, but it's to fill in remaining needs. While it would have been nice to get Asomugha, it isn't necessary. While it might be nice to get Moss, it isn't necessary. FAs don't always pan out too, if they did, Washington would have won so many Super Bowls recently.

I'm not to concern with what people are saying about us.. The Colts will be just fine riding the back of Peyton and Dwight. Hopefully they will sign a couple of FA but if not so be it they will be there for the long haul. Oh by the way how many times have someone said the Texans are going to dethrone the Colts? Thought so.

I don't think that the season can be won or lost in free agency. I mean come on everyone, the Redksins have been doing the league favors every year for the last decade or so, proving absolutely that you cannot buy your way to the big game through free agency. There isn't a single better example of a team that tries and fails to buy performance through free agency. OK, there are exceptions to this rule, but in general you can't buy your way to the post season through free agents. You have to build from the ground up.

I don't think that the season can be won or lost in free agency. I mean come on everyone, the Redksins have been doing the league favors every year for the last decade or so, proving absolutely that you cannot buy your way to the big game through free agency. There isn't a single better example of a team that tries and fails to buy performance through free agency. OK, there are exceptions to this rule, but in general you can't buy your way to the post season through free agents. You have to build from the ground up.

There is a huge area between what the Redskins have done in the past (grabbing every big name FA they could get), and the Colts who will almost never pickup any big name FA. Spending some money to pick up the occasional GOOD FA in an area of need would be a good compliment to our "build through the draft" strategy.

I agree, There is no reason to just go signing someone because you can. But when your team is thin at positions and someone is on the market that can help, if you can get him cheap, why not? Or even a good trade is worth it if it helps. Most players do not stay on one team their entire careers. Most are productive on mulitple teams. Why cant we get one of those. I guess it probably comes down to a money issue. But other teams have stars and they can still go out and get players. I dont understand. And for every Redskins team there is a Patriots team that does go out and get players and they work out for them. So yes FA and player trades do work, you just have to have an organization that is willing to take chances and get some good one and sometimes u are going to get burned.

Some FA moves could still be made, so I'll wait and see. BUT, no matter how many great players we have on Offense, a Great Defense can stop a Great Offense. You needn't look any further than SuperBowl 42 when the Giants Defense stopped the highest-scoring Offense in NFL history. HOW LONG WILL THE POLIANS NOT SEE THIS???

There is a huge area between what the Redskins have done in the past (grabbing every big name FA they could get), and the Colts who will almost never pickup any big name FA. Spending some money to pick up the occasional GOOD FA in an area of need would be a good compliment to our "build through the draft" strategy.

The point was that amidst all the worry that we're not doing enough in free agency, it's true to say that you can't buy victory through free agency. The core of a team is generally built through the draft, sure pepper in some free agents, but that core is what wins championships. IMHO.

chris polian and jim irsay

plz give randy moss a call, so he can come outta of retirement and benefit himself with a ring and help us win a super bowl in our hometown!! he can help us so much, not only does he draw alot of attention with his deep threat but he can also open up some things for our other wr's:clark,wayne,collie,garcon. think about it...... and we got #18 cmon now

chris polian and jim irsay

plz give randy moss a call, so he can come outta of retirement and benefit himself with a ring and help us win a super bowl in our hometown!! he can help us so much, not only does he draw alot of attention with his deep threat but he can also open up some things for our other wr's:clark,wayne,collie,garcon. think about it...... and we got #18 cmon now

Moss announced earlier today or late yesterday he s retiring , see around the league

"only the most self consumed and subjective of fans is going to argue against that"

Jacksonville gives indy fits, and thier QB's suck.

Tennessee, same thing. They havn't had a QB in some time.

Houston is getting close to having it thier way.

All these teams have defenses. If they all had servicable QB's.Colts would be lucky to split games with each.

Sadly i agree with the article,if the goal is to win superbowls we likely will fall short.But i will also say a team with peyton always has a shot.So i guess it's back to teams gashing us for 175 yards a game on the ground and keeping our o on the bench.The thing that myself and other fans need to understand is everybody is getting better and we are getting older.I apologize if i sound like i am whining,but 1 superbowl with the best qb of all time does not sit well with me.

"only the most self consumed and subjective of fans is going to argue against that"

Jacksonville gives indy fits, and thier QB's suck.

Tennessee, same thing. They havn't had a QB in some time.

Houston is getting close to having it thier way.

All these teams have defenses. If they all had servicable QB's.Colts would be lucky to split games with each.

I'm sorry, there is one key point you have missed out here - these teams are designed around beating the Colts. The Texans freely admit they drafted Mario Williams with the aim of beating Peyton Manning. All three of these teams have made it clear they build their team with the primary desire of beating the Colts. They may trouble the Colts, but they aren't winning enough A. against the Colts or B. Against their other opponents. Indy still win at least half their division games every year, and are able to beat many other teams in the league as well - this is where the Jags, Texans and Titans often fall down.

Back to the main topic, I have faith that the Polians will put together some smart FA deals in the coming couple of weeks. Don't be blinded by all the big name, hurried deals which have taken place - success in one team doesn't guarantee success in another.

The Colts stick to what they know - the draft and their current players. Yes a DT would be nice, as would a LB or two. But better the devil you know than the devil you don't.