Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts release OT Gosder Cherlius

MTC

I don't see any trade happening at all before training camp. There might be a chance of one happening after training camp but I highly doubt it. I think Grigson is done with trades at this point unless it's a deal that couldn't be turned down. We are not that short that a panic trade needs to be made.

Agree  don't panic till you know something is WRONG!

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reitz is good enough to start, his problem really is staying healthy!

That is the question mark with Reitz.  I am hoping that his injury issues were related to his weight gain and that this offseason his been able to focus is training on endurance/injury prevention.  I've posted an article before about his weight gain but every year he would gain 20-30lbs and it takes awhile for all the secondary items like, tendons, ligaments, joints, etc. to catch up.

We saw that some last year where he was available more than anytime in his career, I believe.  I know Grigs is trying to find the right pieces but the oline needs to play together to develop.  There are a lot of examples but look at the 2006 Colts SB line; Glenn, DeMulling, Saturday, Scott and Diem.  They were not a bunch of superstars at the time only Saturday and Glenn were considered top 10 in their positions but they were all solid and they had played together for three years and it translated to one of the best oline's that year.  And signing guys like Herreman's and (even if they change their mind and have an interest in Mathis) is not the way to accomplish that.

The release prompted me to go back and watch the two games last season where Mewhort played RT. I don't have an issue with his quickness and agility. Sometimes he was a tick late off the ball, looked like he was reacting to the guard's movement rather than the snap, which is something he'll have to clean up, but he played plenty of tackle at Ohio State and knows how to react to the snap from tackle. Probably just a residual from playing next to the center all season, then kicking out to tackle on the opposite side. His footwork was quick enough, solid kick slide.

My issue was with some technique, mainly his base and his hand placement. His hands/arms were consistently too low, probably trying to generate as much punch as he could. And his base was all wrong, with one foot sometimes way too far behind the other, and not just the outside foot every time. Maybe he was overcompensating to get back off the snap, but those two things -- hand placement and footwork -- led to him not having proper leverage to set the edge in pass protection and rushers getting into his chest. He lost on the edge a lot in pass pro, particularly when he was going backward at the snap.

Neither of those were issues in run blocking or more aggressive pass pro where he attacked the rusher. I could argue that those are just issues with playing guard all season and then going to the opposite side of the center and playing tackle. I don't think he had either of those issues with technique when playing tackle in college. But he could be trying to make up for a slower than ideal kick, and in the process be losing his technique. 

Like you, I don't think GC is any great loss. He was really good in pass pro in 2013, but when he's not 100% -- and he never was last season -- he's a liability in protection. And his run blocking isn't anything great either; I think Mewhort is the better run blocker right away.

Thanks for the break down, the footwork technique doesn't worry me quite so much because he switched from LG to RT so all the movement is completely opposite, so I think some of that can be attributed to his muscle memory fighting with what his mind is telling it do it.

The hands being too low is definitely something that needs to get worked out... as a tackle it's even more important to get those arms up and extended so you can react to moves from the DE/OLB, if he keeps those hands low the defender will get inside his radius and he will be very open to moves and double moves.

Regards to the O-Line - Pay attention to TC. Pay very close attention to TC. The way I see it, this _ has to be_ the year the Colts finally try and solidify a starting O-Line and pretty much stick with it. Rotational play usually concerns me if performed on an extended basis. I could see TC, pre-season, and maybe a couple of games to get it right. After that, it concerns me. A lot. The Cherilus release was done for a reason. Not only does it save the club money, it allows for an immediate adjustment/s at establishing a steady line. Look at all the great O-Lines that Super Bowl contenders and winners have thrown on the field since its inception.

What do you see? Consistency. Flow. Protection. Holes. Ultimately, a great status-quo. That's what this team needs. Now. Toying with a franchise player such as Andrew Luck is no laughing matter when it comes to this. That, and creating a decent running game along with good defense should catapult this team to the next realm. Right now, I'm biding my time. No panic. No nerves.

However, get this right. And get it right with minimal doubt and great assurance.

i am curious to see what he brings, he might have some growing pains but could be the long term answer if he's any good.

You and me both. He was a beast in the CFL. I'm hoping he really shines in TC and becomes a starter soon or later for us.. but I would still love it if we went out and snatched Evan Mathis and released Donald Thomas.

Don't care who the LG is long as the offensive line allows Luck to throw for 400 yards & Gore to rush for 150 against the Bills opening week

The Bill's defense won't allow that. I'm just hoping we can stay healthy and run the ball this year. It would be nice having home field advantage throughout the playoffs and a first round BYE this year.

Let's see GC make it through the next six months with no knee issues before we declare him "healthy." His agent's statement is predictable. 

Hey Superman, this is a little off topic, but I have a question.

In regards of Cherilus' cap hit. In 2017 I believe I read somewhere that the Colts will be saving $10 million in salary cap space by releasing him. Any truth behind this?

Hey Superman, this is a little off topic, but I have a question.

In regards of Cherilus' cap hit. In 2017 I believe I read somewhere that the Colts will be saving $10 million in salary cap space by releasing him. Any truth behind this?

Yeah, in 2017, we're completely done with his contract and there's no dead money. So his previously scheduled $10.4m goes away completely.

Because he played 933 snaps and started 12/16 games, and played in every game, for the Dolphins the season following the injury and he played pretty well. That tells me the injury didn't have much lingering effect.

As for his quad injury, steroid certainly could be the cause, or not. We don't know. But it's unrelated to a lisfranc fracture (bone injury) from his rookie year.

He played so well that he started one game after that season and was released. I honestly don't know what was going on with him, but i know the guy gets injured a lot.

He played so well that he started one game after that season and was released. I honestly don't know what was going on with him, but i know the guy gets injured a lot.

Yeah, I don't know what was up with that. I'm going to chalk that up to Dolphins' inefficiency.

We got to do something about this offensive line.  It's going to be pretty weak.  Teams like the Texans, who will be an uber-strength defense against us, could have a field-day.  Just look at all the complaining that took place against some on that list of O-lineman we have now.  Just look at that list !!!