Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Peyton Manning almost was back in the AFC South

TKnight24

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes great sense for Houston given their defense is one of the best in the conference. You add in Manning for on year even at $25 mil and have the young QBs learn behind him. Win/win for them IMO.

In terms of Elway, I believe his thinking with Manning was always a three year window to make the push for the SB. With the coaching change, and the pay cut he had him take, it would seem Denver is transitioning this year. At some point this season they need to find out what they have in Brock given it is his final season on his rookie deal.

I'm not all that impressed with Brock. What I saw of him after Peyton left due to his thigh injury left me uninspired. The kid just doesn't have it. 

I wonder what writer Woody Paige columnist for "The Denver Post" thinks of Houston's alleged interest in Manning & what the Broncos will look like after his departure? 

I should check The Rich Eisen Show website. Rich has Woody on as a guest quite a bit. Woody is some darn goofy [funny I mean.] I love that guy. 

He always writes on this erase board crazy stuff like this: "My career in archeology isn't going so well. My career is in ruins."  haha

....It makes no sense either way.

Denver has at least 10 guys who came to Denver to play with Manning....and their backup has never started a game.

...Houston needs a QB for the future and Manning is league's oldest non kicker.

This is a June-NFL story.

..ask yourself,..who 'confirmed' this story?

I might actually *stop* loathing him if it happened :)

Yeah, I do feel bad for you QuizBoy always having to say to yourself "We are just 1 decent QB away from doing some real damage in the AFC South." But if Clowney is heathy & the addition of Vince Wilfork stuffing the run will help. 

I finally think Bill O'Brian will be your longterm answer at HC. That guy very good. Hang in there man. 

You know if I could I would make Dallas suck & Houston good right? Like I always say, the wrong team in Texas is winning & that always irritates me to no end. It doesn't mean much I know, but if I had 3 genie wishes they would be a Colts SB this year, winning $15,000,000, & the Cowboys would be as pathetic as the Cleveland Browns for the rest of that franchise's history. 

Just trying to cheer you up brother. Mutual hatred can be a beautiful thing man. [Team animosity I mean.]

This was a rumor back in 2012. It got squashed presumably because Kubiak is a control freak who wants to run the entire offense himself, and Peyton is a "Field General".

Now reports are coming out of Denver that those two are butting heads about offensive control. Pretty funny that they ended up together anyway.

This was a rumor back in 2012. It got squashed presumably because Kubiak is a control freak who wants to run the entire offense himself, and Peyton is a "Field General".

Now reports are coming out of Denver that those two are butting heads about offensive control. Pretty funny that they ended up together anyway.

Do you have links to the reports in Denver about them butting heads? I only ask because I have not read this. All I have seen is stuff on how Peyton is still learning the offense and enjoying the challenge of doing something new.

I'm not all that impressed with Brock. What I saw of him after Peyton left due to his thigh injury left me uninspired. The kid just doesn't have it. 

I wonder what writer Woody Paige columnist for "The Denver Post" thinks of Houston's alleged interest in Manning & what the Broncos will look like after his departure? 

I should check The Rich Eisen Show website. Rich has Woody on as a guest quite a bit. Woody is some darn goofy [funny I mean.] I love that guy. 

He always writes on this erase board crazy stuff like this: "My career in archeology isn't going so well. My career is in ruins."  haha

It is hard to tell. He only had 3 plays in that game right before half. But I do remember back then thinking it was interesting that Denver had him throwing on those downs instead of just running out the clock as they ended up punting and the Chargers scored a FG right before half. I do think even then they were trying to get a look at him. It will be interesting to see him in Kubiak's offense as supposedly he has the skill set to run it well. I think the preseason will be interesting to see him play.

He always writes on this erase board crazy stuff like this: "My career in archeology isn't going so well. My career is in ruins." haha

I watched quite a bit of Brock during his last season at ASU. I want impressed either. I'd have taken kirk cousins over Brock and I wasn't overly impressed with Kirk at MSU either.

I just threw up at the sight of this.

Honestly, I think Peyton would have retired than play for the Texans.

Idk, reports back in 2012 indicated he was pretty interested in the Texans...I'm sure he would've been welcomed with open arms lol.

It's funny how giddy you seem at the simple idea of this. 

Why wouldn't he be? The idea of Manning playing for the Texans and beating the Colts twice a year would make any rival fan giddy. Not to mention Manning would finally have that SB caliber defense backing him that you all seem to fault for his futile years in Indy.

Why wouldn't he be? The idea of Manning playing for the Texans and beating the Colts twice a year would make any rival fan giddy. Not to mention Manning would finally have that SB caliber defense backing him that you all seem to fault for his futile years in Indy.

1) He can be giddy about whatever he wants, but to this point, this is a rumor that (obviously) never materialized. His giddiness is amusing to me.

2) The Texans have never beaten the Colts twice in a year, and have never won in Indy. Neither has Manning since he left.

3) The Texans defense isn't that great outside of Watt, but that would be a great team-up. 

4) There was nothing futile about Manning's years in Indy. Go somewhere with that, please. 

1) He can be giddy about whatever he wants, but to this point, this is a rumor that (obviously) never materialized. His giddiness is amusing to me.

2) The Texans have never beaten the Colts twice in a year, and have never won in Indy. Neither has Manning since he left.

3) The Texans defense isn't that great outside of Watt, but that would be a great team-up. 

4) There was nothing futile about Manning's years in Indy. Go somewhere with that, please. 

I guess you can be amused about whatever you want but his giddiness makes perfect sense. Watching Manning in a Texans uniform going up against the Colts and potentially swipe the division? Yeah, giddy central. And Manning to Houston rwould give him a MUCH better shot at winning than Denver right now. That D alone would make his job 1000 percent easier ...

I guess you can be amused about whatever you want but his giddiness makes perfect sense. Watching Manning in a Texans uniform going up against the Colts and potentially swipe the division? Yeah, giddy central. And Manning to Houston rwould give him a MUCH better shot at winning than Denver right now. That D alone would make his job 1000 percent easier ...

So what?

Mine was a simple comment. I get why he'd like the idea; the Texans QBs are and have been terrible for a long time, with little exception. Getting Manning would be great for them. No duh. It's not hard to understand any of that.

I said I was amused, and as you say, I can be amused about whatsoever I please, right? 

So what?

Mine was a simple comment. I get why he'd like the idea; the Texans QBs are and have been terrible for a long time, with little exception. Getting Manning would be great for them. No duh. It's not hard to understand any of that.

I said I was amused, and as you say, I can be amused about whatsoever I please, right? 

Yep you sure can.

With Bum Jr at the helm of Denver's defense I wouldn't be surprised if they have a better D than the Texans......I actually kind of expect it.

It's funny how giddy you seem at the simple idea of this.

I'm only replying to those quoting me. I particularly didn't like that the guy had to throw in a dig at the Texans when truthfully none of us know if he would have quit upon being traded or not. I didn't start this thread. Yes, I find news, particularly juicy stuff like this about my team, interesting. I'm amused that you're amused.

Yeah I guess only Colt fans have a right to partake in this thread. A Texan fan who does is labeled as giddy. Of course.

With Bum Jr at the helm of Denver's defense I wouldn't be surprised if they have a better D than the Texans......I actually kind of expect it.

You can take the coach if you want have never been a big fan of Philips, but I will take the talent on that Texans D any day over the Broncos.

Well this comment is out of left field. I'm only replying to those quoting me. I particularly didn't like that the guy had to throw in a dig at the Texans when truthfully none of us know if he would have quit upon being traded or not. I didn't start this thread. Yes, I find news, particularly juicy stuff like this about my team, interesting. I'm amused that you're amused.

Yeah I guess only Colt fans have a right to partake in this thread. A Texan fan who does is labeled as giddy. Of course.

Don't be so melodramatic, Qwiz. My comment wasn't really related to the exchange about whether Manning wanted to play there. It was just an observation about how excited you seem to be, especially since it's something that didn't happen and doesn't seem like it ever was going to happen. Not a dig at all. Certainly not a claim that you shouldn't post in this thread. I don't know where that's coming from.

Don't let am drive a wedge between us. What we have is bigger than her...

Yes, apparently your giddiness is amusing. But really had Manning gone to Houston it would have been as big if not bigger than Favre going to the Vikes with potentially the same results of the Texans going deep into the playoffs like Minny did with Favre that first season ...

I don't get it but somehow Elway has this spell on Manning ... for $25 mil and a chance at a ring, I would have begged to go to Houston and as far away from Denver as possible ....

Don't be so melodramatic, Qwiz. My comment wasn't really related to the exchange about whether Manning wanted to play there. It was just an observation about how excited you seem to be, especially since it's something that didn't happen and doesn't seem like it ever was going to happen. Not a dig at all. Certainly not a claim that you shouldn't post in this thread. I don't know where that's coming from.

Don't let am drive a wedge between us. What we have is bigger than her...

Ha, thanks for the clarification Supe. Tone is hard to make out across a forum of course. We haven't had one of our healthy, unnecessary we're-both-actually-agreeing-on-the-same-thing discussions in a while anyway. We're due for one of those ;)

You can take the coach if you want have never been a big fan of Philips, but I will take the talent on that Texans D any day over the Broncos.

Other than JJ Watt, I don't see that much talent. A perpetually injured Brian Cushing, old Vince Wilfork, and a kid with a knee condition.

Yes, apparently your giddiness is amusing. But really had Manning gone to Houston it would have been as big if not bigger than Favre going to the Vikes with potentially the same results of the Texans going deep into the playoffs like Minny did with Favre that first season ...

I don't get it but somehow Elway has this spell on Manning ... for $25 mil and a chance at a ring, I would have begged to go to Houston and as far away from Denver as possible ....

That's because you have some hang up with Elway. It's not like Denver doesn't have a chance at a ring themselves.

Yeah whatever Elway and Kubiak are selling Manning is buying. I don't think that those three make a good fit (for different reasons) but I guess we'll find out this season.

That's because you have some hang up with Elway. It's not like Denver doesn't have a chance at a ring themselves.

Did you see Elway blowing this thing up last year? I sure didn't. And he has his star receiver holding out with a new offense to be learned. I think the guy's player personal skills are sorely lacking and he also suffers from believing his own Kool-Aid which is why he hired Kubiak, his good buddy in the first place. But that is a discussion for a different day. If there is any team in the NFL that is a QB away from being a legit contender it is Houston. Denver has a chance but it is slim IMO and at this point Manning may be in his final year anyways given his age and injury history.

Other than JJ Watt, I don't see that much talent. A perpetually injured Brian Cushing, old Vince Wilfork, and a kid with a knee condition.

You're right. Their defensive personnel is sort of overrated lately, primarily because they have the best defender in the league. In 2012, they lost Mario Williams, they have had a ton of injuries, etc. Their second best defender anymore might be Jared Crick, pending some return on Clowney. Whitney Mercilus is okay. The secondary isn't very good. Their overall defensive numbers aren't anything to get excited about. They have better metrics than Denver in some areas, and worse in others. Football Outsiders has Denver at 4, Houston at 6, but a sizable difference between the two percentage-wise; Denver would be elite, Houston above average. 

I'd choose Houston's defense because they have Watt, but overall, I think Denver's defense is just as good, if not better.

Did you see Elway blowing this thing up last year? I sure didn't. And he has his star receiver holding out with a new offense to be learned. I think the guy's player personal skills are sorely lacking and he also suffers from believing his own Kool-Aid which is why he hired Kubiak, his good buddy in the first place. But that is a discussion for a different day. If there is any team in the NFL that is a QB away from being a legit contender it is Houston. Denver has a chance but it is slim IMO and at this point Manning may be in his final year anyways given his age and injury history.

Denver didn't blow anything up. They hired a new coaching staff, which isn't the most radical decision in the world given some of the shortcomings of the previous staff. The roster is intact. And DT will be fine.

Like I said, this is your hang up with Elway. Denver's chances aren't any worse than Houston's would have been, and are probably better all things considered.

Denver didn't blow anything up. They hired a new coaching staff, which isn't the most radical decision in the world given some of the shortcomings of the previous staff. The roster is intact. And DT will be fine.

Like I said, this is your hang up with Elway. Denver's chances aren't any worse than Houston's would have been, and are probably better all things considered.

New coaching staff is blowing things up regardless of personnel. Manning is in the midst of learning a brand new offense as are the rest of the guys. The defensive scheme will be different under Phillips as well. And then of course there is Kubiak who was maybe the most average HC around with a knack for being vanilla and predictable. I never thought Fox was a great fit for Manning but he is a better coach than Kubiak and of course Fox let Manning run the show. Kubiak will not be doing that so really the fit is even more bizarre.

If in fact there was a deal to made with Houston for a high draft pick, I think Elway is a total boob for not doing it.

would they admit it if it was true though?  trade rumors that didnt pan out concerning your starting QB arnt exactly the kind of thing you would want to aknowledge publicly

I didn't post that as proof that this was a false report. Just wanted to submit their stance to the thread is all.

However, 'they wouldn't admit it even if it were true' definitely isn't proof that it's true.

New coaching staff is blowing things up regardless of personnel. Manning is in the midst of learning a brand new offense as are the rest of the guys. The defensive scheme will be different under Phillips as well. And then of course there is Kubiak who was maybe the most average HC around with a knack for being vanilla and predictable. I never thought Fox was a great fit for Manning but he is a better coach than Kubiak and of course Fox let Manning run the show. Kubiak will not be doing that so really the fit is even more bizarre.

If in fact there was a deal to made with Houston for a high draft pick, I think Elway is a total boob for not doing it.

I disagree.

I didn't post that as proof that this was a false report. Just wanted to submit their stance to the thread is all.

However, 'they wouldn't admit it even if it were true' definitely isn't proof that it's true.

i doubt the rumor was true myself, other than denver maybe checking to see if anyone would give a ridiculous haul for peyton on his last legs.