Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

the colts have now been in indianapolis longer than in baltimore

CR91

Geez, teams move to new cities regularly.

I wish everyone would just get over this Colts Indy/Baltimore thing.

Maybe the NFL should try to put things right...Rams to L.A.; Cards to St.Louis;

expansion team to Phoenix; and on and on and on.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only did they push Irsay into moving, the Maryland Legislature invoked "eminent domain". Thus, taking control of the team. Robert Irsay did all he could to stay in Baltimore. Fortunately, after this was passed and signed, it was too late. The Colts had already crossed Maryland state lines. The Maryland State Police did try to go after them. Still, too late.

Read the entire story of the Colts, both Baltimore & Indianapolis, at Wikipedia.com. Just type in history of ...

Brian wrote that story, which is a great Indy version of the move, but left out a lot of the Baltimore side of the story. It's been debated pretty thoroughly on this forum.

If you guys are looking for some absolution from some Baltimore fans about the move , it isn't happening. They either don't care, are still mad, or have moved on. History is what it is, and occurred where it occurred. It cannot be changed.

I'm one Baltimore Colts fan who appreciates the past, is now a fan of the Ravens, but respects the Indy Colts. I have never lived in Indiana so I'm not a current Colts fan.

Ask yourself a question, if the Colts had moved to LA, and Indianapolis got a new team, who do you pull for ? This is aimed mainly at Colt fans in Indiana, not so much perennial Colt fans that follow the horseshoe, but never lived in Baltimore or Indy. The second question would be would you be happy that LA had records that occurred in your city, or telling you they won the 2006 Super Bowl ? Maybe have your Indianapolis Hall of Famers identified as LA Colts. I know it's hypothetical, but I'm talking from a fan perspective .

Geez, teams move to new cities regularly.

I wish everyone would just get over this Colts Indy/Baltimore thing.

Maybe the NFL should try to put things right...Rams to L.A.; Cards to St.Louis;

expansion team to Phoenix; and on and on and on.

You are right about teams moving. It's just a shame they don't leave the old logos and records in the cities they leave. Unfortunately, it's business, and those logos are worth money, so the owners generally take them. 

I guess the thread is about because they are in Indy longer than Baltimore, that there is some imaginary Number where some fans will automatically get over it. Like I said earlier, some are bitter, some don't care, and some have moved on. Some like me, like the old and new Baltimore teams. Being on this forum this long,it  has given me the opportunity to understand how much Indy likes the Colts. You guys are great fans, the move happened, you're just happy to get a team, and enjoy the NFL. Look, I didn't engineer the Browns move as a Baltimore fan. Was I happy to get an NFL team. yes, but felt badly the way we got one. I would have preferred an expansion team, but the great Taglibue told us to build a museum, and picked those great NFL cities of Jacksonville and Charlotte, over Baltimore ! 

Baltimore used to be a great place for my fav Colts...but I am glad they are now in Indy.

Baltimore has turned into a murderous, undesireable hole.

Without getting political, lets just say its been almost 50 years of one party. It wasn't good in 1968, or 1984 when the Colts left, or 2015. One thing that is true about the move, is that our politicians didn't do the best job. The fans on the other hand, are very good and loyal. 

I wonder if this means Baltimore fans can get over it now?  The Colts by history belong to Indianapolis more then they do to Baltimore.  

You never "get over" losing something you love. But to me the Colts are the Colts and doesn't matter where they call home, I`ll always be a fan

You never "get over" losing something you love. But to me the Colts are the Colts and doesn't matter where they call home, I`ll always be a fan

There is really nothing to get over. As a Baltimore fan, its tough what happened, but history is history. The first chapter of this history occurred in Baltimore, and it was a very fine history. All the records will say Baltimore/Indianapolis, like the 2-2 Super Bowl record. Irsay has the records, but the old events still happened in Baltimore. 

To me, its phase 1 Baltimore Colts/Phase 2 Baltimore Ravens. Those who have a straight line from Baltimore to Indy, to each his own. I personally enjoy talking about the old Baltimore Colts, answering any questions people have on the Ravens, or commenting on current Indy Colt topics, as an AFC rival. Like I said, whether they have been in Indy or Baltimore longer is pretty irrelevant now, because I think both cities have had a good run of NFL football success. 

There is really nothing to get over. As a Baltimore fan, its tough what happened, but history is history. The first chapter of this history occurred in Baltimore, and it was a very fine history. All the records will say Baltimore/Indianapolis, like the 2-2 Super Bowl record. Irsay has the records, but the old events still happened in Baltimore. 

To me, its phase 1 Baltimore Colts/Phase 2 Baltimore Ravens. Those who have a straight line from Baltimore to Indy, to each his own. I personally enjoy talking about the old Baltimore Colts, answering any questions people have on the Ravens, or commenting on current Indy Colt topics, as an AFC rival. Like I said, whether they have been in Indy or Baltimore longer is pretty irrelevant now, because I think both cities have had a good run of NFL football success. 

I like your perspective on the situation as a Ravens fan, it does seem silly to be upset about something that happened over 30 years ago. But don't you think the fans who still harbor resentment (or straight up anger) towards the Colts are being extremely hypocritical? Considering that Baltimore basically "stole" a franchise from Cleveland, and they seem to have no problem with that. I'm sure those fans are few and far between now, but it was not that long ago that your scoreboard had the home team labelled as "Ravens" and the away team labelled as "Indy".   

Brian wrote that story, which is a great Indy version of the move, but left out a lot of the Baltimore side of the story. It's been debated pretty thoroughly on this forum.

If you guys are looking for some absolution from some Baltimore fans about the move , it isn't happening. They either don't care, are still mad, or have moved on. History is what it is, and occurred where it occurred. It cannot be changed.

I'm one Baltimore Colts fan who appreciates the past, is now a fan of the Ravens, but respects the Indy Colts. I have never lived in Indiana so I'm not a current Colts fan.

Ask yourself a question, if the Colts had moved to LA, and Indianapolis got a new team, who do you pull for ? This is aimed mainly at Colt fans in Indiana, not so much perennial Colt fans that follow the horseshoe, but never lived in Baltimore or Indy. The second question would be would you be happy that LA had records that occurred in your city, or telling you they won the 2006 Super Bowl ? Maybe have your Indianapolis Hall of Famers identified as LA Colts. I know it's hypothetical, but I'm talking from a fan perspective .

TOC, you can use just about any search engine to find the story of the Baltimore Colts/Indianapolis Colts, just at different sites. For instance, go to Google, you then can read not only the two versions of the Colts, but many more attributes to both cities. I've read everything I could get my hands on since I was old enough to understand, and especially the Internet when it came to be, regarding the Colts. I became a fan of the Colts back in 1965. The Baltimore Colts. I chose to remain a fan of the Colts when they moved to Indianapolis in 1984. I've been a life-long fan. Not because of the cities so much, but because of the team. I am an avid/rabid fan of the Horseshoe. Nothing more, nothing less. I love the team. I love the Horseshoe. I have come to love the city of Indianapolis and the state of Indiana over the course of time. Didn't have the capacity as a kid/younger adolescent/young adult to visit Baltimore. I hope to visit some day and visit the museums/all attractions of the old Colts.

I am not, nor ever have been, a resident of Maryland or Indiana. My loyalty lies with the team itself, and only the team. Regardless what anyone else feels about the history or cities or states about the team's past/present//future, I'll always look at it this way. I understand your loyalty to your city. I do. But, to me, the Colts could've moved to Iceland and I still would've followed as a fan. As a young boy, to see Johnny Unitas, Lenny Moore, Raymond Berry, Art Donovan, Gino Marchetti, et.al play in front of my "unbelievable eyes" was a tremendous and long-lasting witnessed memory that will serve me for the rest of my days. I truly enjoyed seeing Memorial Stadium in Baltimore all those years via television. I remember the small plane crash into the stadium after watching the best Playoff game in history against the Raiders, that went six quarters and ended up as the "Ghost to the Post" game.

Many, many great memories of the Baltimore Colts _and_ the Indianapolis Colts over the years for me. They are one team in the same to me. They are my Superman & Clark Kent. Always have and always will be. And you're correct, history cannot change that. At least not for me. So, I hope to get a better vibe from _ALL_ ColtsNation as we go forward. Because God only knows that this team and its adoring fans have been tried, tested, and true when it comes to the support displayed by all.

ColtsFan for Life & friend in arms.

TOC, you can use just about any search engine to find the story of the Baltimore Colts/Indianapolis Colts, just at different sites. For instance, go to Google, you then can read not only the two versions of the Colts, but many more attributes to both cities. I've read everything I could get my hands on since I was old enough to understand, and especially the Internet when it came to be, regarding the Colts. I became a fan of the Colts back in 1965. The Baltimore Colts. I chose to remain a fan of the Colts when they moved to Indianapolis in 1984. I've been a life-long fan. Not because of the cities so much, but because of the team. I am an avid/rabid fan of the Horseshoe. Nothing more, nothing less. I love the team. I love the Horseshoe. I have come to love the city of Indianapolis and the state of Indiana over the course of time. Didn't have the capacity as a kid/younger adolescent/young adult to visit Baltimore. I hope to visit some day and visit the museums/all attractions of the old Colts.

I am not, nor ever have been, a resident of Maryland or Indiana. My loyalty lies with the team itself, and only the team. Regardless what anyone else feels about the history or cities or states about the team's past/present//future, I'll always look at it this way. I understand your loyalty to your city. I do. But, to me, the Colts could've moved to Iceland and I still would've followed as a fan. As a young boy, to see Johnny Unitas, Lenny Moore, Raymond Berry, Art Donovan, Gino Marchetti, et.al play in front of my "unbelievable eyes" was a tremendous and long-lasting witnessed memory that will serve me for the rest of my days. I truly enjoyed seeing Memorial Stadium in Baltimore all those years via television. I remember the small plane crash into the stadium after watching the best Playoff game in history against the Raiders, that went six quarters and ended up as the "Ghost to the Post" game.

Many, many great memories of the Baltimore Colts _and_ the Indianapolis Colts over the years for me. They are one team in the same to me. They are my Superman & Clark Kent. Always have and always will be. And you're correct, history cannot change that. At least not for me. So, I hope to get a better vibe from _ALL_ ColtsNation as we go forward. Because God only knows that this team and its adoring fans have been tried, tested, and true when it comes to the support displayed by all.

ColtsFan for Life & friend in arms.

There is no right or wrong answer here. As fans, all of our history is a little different, and I fully understand that you follow the horseshoe wherever it goes.

Just to let you know , Indianapolis is in my sales territory , and I really like the city, fans, and stadium. You have to understand , I'm an old Baltimore Orioles, Maryland Terps, Bullets/Wizards, and Caps fan. It would be hard for me to add an Indianapolis team to my portfolio when I've always followed teams in the Baltimore/ DC area. I just can't start following the Colts, Pacers, Hoosiers, etc. I like Indiana, I'm just not an Indiana guy. My heart is in Baltimore as a fan. When the Ravens came, they filled most of the void when the Colts left. Still, from a nostalgic viewpoint, you can't help but have great feelings and memories of the Baltimore Colts.

I think the main thing in 2015, fans in Baltimore and Indy are pretty happy with the current status quo of their NFL teams, and situations. The success of the Ravens has definitely dulled some of the pain of losing the Colts. Still, the old history of the Baltimore Colts sits there for all to study and enjoy. Even though I'm a Ravens fan now, the Colts were my team until 1984, and I still consider them my team, as that was my hometown team in that era.

It was a great day for you and Indy fans, but for Baltimore fans, it was like Pearl Harbor, a day that will live in infamy.

I get it that it sucked from a pure fan of the team perspective, but I've always been confused why when the facts of the story are looked at, Irsay is the dumb, old, mean, greedy, drunk, but really the politicians (without getting political and who have none of those common traits..) who screwed it up are absolved of any criticism. No one who was in Irsay's shoes at the time would have been like "fine let the State have my team". That's essentially  what Maryland proposed to do to keep the team and why the Colts bolted when they did and they way they did.

I get it that it sucked from a pure fan of the team perspective, but I've always been confused why when the facts of the story are looked at, Irsay is the dumb, old, mean, greedy, drunk, but really the politicians (without getting political and who have none of those common traits..) who screwed it up are absolved of any criticism. No one who was in Irsay's shoes at the time would have been like "fine let the State have my team". That's essentially what Maryland proposed to do to keep the team and why the Colts bolted when they did and they way they did.

As a Baltimore guy, I used to look at it from purely the Irsay angle. As time has passed, the Maryland politicians are definately guilty of not doing all they could to keep the team. So, you had a bad owner that started shopping the team around almost instantaneously after he bought the team, and politicians in Maryland that wouldn't build a competitive stadium.

From a fan perspective, if you look at the attendance history of the Baltimore Colts, then the Ravens, except for some of the last horrible years of the Irsay regime, you'll see attendance and fan support was among the best in the NFL. Those last few years the fans were dispirited , as Irsay wouldn't sign top players , injuries to Bert Jones, the Schlitchter and Elway debacles, and the coaching and GM carousel.

I'm not an eminent domain advocate whatsoever, but I think that was a last ditch effort because some legislators were told the Colts were as good as gone. With Bob shopping them in Phoenix, Indy , Jacksonville, Nashville, and Charlotte, it is easy to see why the Maryland politicians were fearful. The drunken press conference at the airport also didn't help things.

The truth is always something in between, and both parties could have done things way better. When they don't , the fan pays.

As a Baltimore guy, I used to look at it from purely the Irsay angle. As time has passed, the Maryland politicians are definately guilty of not doing all they could to keep the team. So, you had a bad owner that started shopping the team around almost instantaneously after he bought the team, and politicians in Maryland that wouldn't build a competitive stadium.

From a fan perspective, if you look at the attendance history of the Baltimore Colts, then the Ravens, except for some of the last horrible years of the Irsay regime, you'll see attendance and fan support was among the best in the NFL. Those last few years the fans were dispirited , as Irsay wouldn't sign top players , injuries to Bert Jones, the Schlitchter and Elway debacles, and the coaching and GM carousel.

I'm not an eminent domain advocate whatsoever, but I think that was a last ditch effort because some legislators were told the Colts were as good as gone. With Bob shopping them in Phoenix, Indy , Jacksonville, Nashville, and Charlotte, it is easy to see why the Maryland politicians were fearful. The drunken press conference at the airport also didn't help things.

The truth is always something in between, and both parties could have done things way better. When they don't , the fan pays.

Fair enough. That's about as honest of a response to that question as I've seen from someone who has a vested interest in this debate- I wasn't alive. 

I live in Southern MD. Baltimore is like another state to me. I don't feel the connection anyways, never really have. Most people ive run across from up there are arrogant and rude anyways, different world than us country folks in southern MD

They use to be in Baltimore?

Just kidding.

I became a fan the day they came over on the mayflower. I bleed blue.

I wish the Indy Colts stats were totally separated from the Baltimore Colts. Does anyone compare the Houston Oilers Stats with the Tenn Titans stats or The Oilers with the Texans? Seriously I don't know. Do they?

There's no way you can say Irsay is dumb. It's worked out for him since he brought the team to Indy. Besides, How many dumb Millionaires, billionaires do you think there are?

And to the comment that stated you follow the horseshoe wherever it goes.... NaW!

If the Colts were to leave Indy. It would be like how I cheer for Peyton. I cheer for him when he plays, but if he plays against Indy or a game he plays in effects Indy's standings, ranking in a negative way.. I want him to lose.

I live in Southern MD. Baltimore is like another state to me. I don't feel the connection anyways, never really have. Most people ive run across from up there are arrogant and rude anyways, different world than us country folks in southern MD

Well I'm from Harford County and I guess we don't have the suave and manners of the Prince Frederick/ Waldorf crowd ! Lol Most of the folks down there are Redskins fans anyway, and most were never Colt, or current Ravens fans ?

They use to be in Baltimore?

Just kidding.

I became a fan the day they came over on the mayflower. I bleed blue.

I wish the Indy Colts stats were totally separated from the Baltimore Colts. Does anyone compare the Houston Oilers Stats with the Tenn Titans stats or The Oilers with the Texans? Seriously I don't know. Do they?

I think the difference between the Baltimore Colts and Houston Oilers is that the Baltimore Colts was such a historic franchise in so many ways. 1958 and 1968 are just two examples. Also, look at the number of Baltimore Colt Hall of Famers. The only historic team that can even rival this, as far as moving, is the Brooklyn Dodgers. Like the Baltimore Colts, because they were so historic, the name sticks around and is remembered. So , because the records are joined, comparisons will always be made between the Indy, and Baltimore Colts. The Baltimore Oriole records have St. Louis Brown records in there, but they are brought up less often, because the franchise achieved little in St Louis as far as Championships ,and Hall of Famers are concerned. Because of the major historic importance of the Baltimore Colts and Brooklyn Dodgers, this legacy lasts even in their current homes of Indy and LA.

I like your perspective on the situation as a Ravens fan, it does seem silly to be upset about something that happened over 30 years ago. But don't you think the fans who still harbor resentment (or straight up anger) towards the Colts are being extremely hypocritical? Considering that Baltimore basically "stole" a franchise from Cleveland, and they seem to have no problem with that. I'm sure those fans are few and far between now, but it was not that long ago that your scoreboard had the home team labelled as "Ravens" and the away team labelled as "Indy".

I don't want to speak for all Raven fans, but sure the move still isn't popular, but I think fans here think things have turned out well, so the resentment has slackened considerably . After the 2nd Super Bowl win, it really died down.

I think most people in Baltimore would tell you that the move from Cleveland was different because they kept their records and uniforms, and got a team guaranteed in three years. Baltimore was put through the wringer for 12 years, wanted an expansion team, but Taglibue awarded it to Charlotte and Jacksonville and told us to build a museum. This led the city , after no other choice was available to put their stadium deal on the table as bait, to lure an existing NFL team. Basically , after all options were gone, we turned predatory also. This is what you get from most Raven fans.

Personally, I cringed about how we got a team. I really don't like franchise relocation unless it absolutely necessary, and in my opinion, that didn't hold water in Oakland, Baltimore, or Cleveland. Those franchises all made money, but the owners wanted more. I prefer the Green Bay model where the community owns the team, so this could never happen.

That being said as fans of Indy or Baltimore, we just want NFL football. We can't be blamed on the whims of owners, we just support our teams.

Yesterday, I did look at the attendance record of the Baltimore Colts and was shocked when I discovered how many games were 20,000 short of sellouts. Even during the good years.

Yesterday, I did look at the attendance record of the Baltimore Colts and was shocked when I discovered how many games were 20,000 short of sellouts. Even during the good years.

You were probably looking to 79-83, when it was hopeless. From the late 50's to early 70's , it was always sold out, when many other franchises rarely sold out games. That's why Memorial stadium was called the largest outdoor insane asylum, and it was one of the loudest stadiums of its era.

Mel Kiper remembers and is bitter as hell

Maybe he is, I don't know. Look , you have to understand no fan is going to like your team moving to another city and the owner pulling the logos and records. It's just not natural to like it. You may have to accept it, but you won't like it

You were probably looking to 79-83, when it was hopeless. From the late 50's to early 70's , it was always sold out, when many other franchises rarely sold out games. That's why Memorial stadium was called the largest outdoor insane asylum, and it was one of the loudest stadiums of its era.

Actually, I was looking at '75,'76, and '77 when we won the division each year. I do remember watching the Colts at Memorial, on TV. It really was insane.  :)

Actually, I was looking at '75,'76, and '77 when we won the division each year. I do remember watching the Colts at Memorial, on TV. It really was insane. :)

I thought attendance was better in those years, I will have to go back and check. I know 72,73, and 74 were dismal years as far as record. Fans were also still smarting over the Johnny U trade.

This is another reason that it is foolish to get overly attached to professional sports teams and professional athletes. Owners and players want your money, they don't care about you, no matter what they say.

It is the weakness of the fan. Bob Irsay said it long ago, " This is not your team, this is not our team, this team is my team, my families team." Bottom line, build me a stadium, make me more money, or you know the rest .

I'm loyal to the local team. Whom ever that is. Was the Bears before the Colts moved here. Has been the Colts since they got here, and if for some reason they should ever move on, then it will be whoever moves in to LOS or the Bears again

I'm the same way which is why I couldn't roll to Indy post 1984.

I think the difference between the Baltimore Colts and Houston Oilers is that the Baltimore Colts was such a historic franchise in so many ways. 1958 and 1968 are just two examples. Also, look at the number of Baltimore Colt Hall of Famers. The only historic team that can even rival this, as far as moving, is the Brooklyn Dodgers. Like the Baltimore Colts, because they were so historic, the name sticks around and is remembered. So , because the records are joined, comparisons will always be made between the Indy, and Baltimore Colts. The Baltimore Oriole records have St. Louis Brown records in there, but they are brought up less often, because the franchise achieved little in St Louis as far as Championships ,and Hall of Famers are concerned. Because of the major historic importance of the Baltimore Colts and Brooklyn Dodgers, this legacy lasts even in their current homes of Indy and LA.

Thanks for the response! Thinking on it a little more. I realized that It doesn't matter where you live as a player or a fan. If your a colt.. Your a Colt and that's it. There are a lot of great players on both teams that make me proud to be a Colts fan

I knew you were a Baltimore Colts fan. Just thought maybe you followed another team after they left and before the Ravens

I didn't watch much NFL football between 1984-1996. These were the lost years in Baltimore. We had a USFL and CFL team, but I couldn't get into those minor league teams. Some Baltimore Colt fans went to the Steelers, Eagles, and Redskins, but not me. I follow the local teams. When the Ravens came, all was well with the world again , although I hated how we had to get a team. I am glad Cleveland was back in the league in three short years, and I'm glad the Browns records and logos stayed in Cleveland. Can you imagine if we had kept the Cleveland records with the Ravens we would have been given credit for the Browns 1964 Championship, except for the fact they beat the Baltimore Colts, our old team ! Would have been wierd claiming Jim Brown and Otto Graham were great Raven legends.

Thanks for the response! Thinking on it a little more. I realized that It doesn't matter where you live as a player or a fan. If your a colt.. Your a Colt and that's it. There are a lot of great players on both teams that make me proud to be a Colts fan

I'm certainly a Colt pre-1984, so I'm kind of a half brother to Indy fans. I'm a full bore Ravens fan now, but I love discussing the old Baltimore Colts. I have a ton of old Colt programs, autographs, and memorabilia. There were more good times than bad.

Actually, I was looking at '75,'76, and '77 when we won the division each year. I do remember watching the Colts at Memorial, on TV. It really was insane. :)

I checked 75-77, and attendance was pretty decent, even into 1978. It wasn't up to the standards of 58-71 , where you would regularly get 60,000 into Memorial Stadium, but I think they took some seats out in the 1970's , where a sell out was in the 52,000 range. 79-83 attendance in Baltimore was somewhat similar to 90-94 in Indy, where habitual losing led to some lost attendance. Bob just didn't put the best product on the field. Maybe you could blame the stadium issue in Baltimore, but he had all the tools in Indy, and still couldn't win.

The Colts were/are the only team I have ever known from the time I was able to know what a football was. When they left in 84 I was 17

and was crushed. I still remember the Mayflower moving trucks pulling out in the middle of the night in the snow. When they left I had to think long and hard but as I said the shoe was all I had ever known so I stuck with them and still stick with them to this day. My son who was born 15 years after they left is a Colts fan because that's all he has ever known around my house.

Anyway, here is my rub in the whole thing. There is no way to change what has happened in the past. However, in my opinion NFL rules, legislation or what have you need to be passed so that if a team leaves a city that the team name was originated in the name stays with the city. The owner would have every right to move the team wherever he chooses but the name would stay. That way if the city ever got another team they could eventually have their same name like Cleveland did when the Browns left for Baltimore. I just hate to see storied names/franchises/fans be destroyed because of stupid politicians, greedy owners or a combination of both. 

What true football fan really wants to see the Memphis Steelers, Birmingham Packers or Boise Cowboys???

Well I'm from Harford County and I guess we don't have the suave and manners of the Prince Frederick/ Waldorf crowd ! Lol Most of the folks down there are Redskins fans anyway, and most were never Colt, or current Ravens fans ?

You are correct. I`ve been surrounded by Redskins fans my entire life and now more than enough Ravens fans too. I've heard it all as far as remaining a Colts fan, but I`m 45 years old and too late to change now. I`m still mesmerized by the Horseshoe lol  

The Colts were/are the only team I have ever known from the time I was able to know what a football was. When they left in 84 I was 17

and was crushed. I still remember the Mayflower moving trucks pulling out in the middle of the night in the snow. When they left I had to think long and hard but as I said the shoe was all I had ever known so I stuck with them and still stick with them to this day. My son who was born 15 years after they left is a Colts fan because that's all he has ever known around my house.

Anyway, here is my rub in the whole thing. There is no way to change what has happened in the past. However, in my opinion NFL rules, legislation or what have you need to be passed so that if a team leaves a city that the team name was originated in the name stays with the city. The owner would have every right to move the team wherever he chooses but the name would stay. That way if the city ever got another team they could eventually have their same name like Cleveland did when the Browns left for Baltimore. I just hate to see storied names/franchises/fans be destroyed because of stupid politicians, greedy owners or a combination of both.

What true football fan really wants to see the Memphis Steelers, Birmingham Packers or Boise Cowboys???

It's all water under the bridge now, but I totally agree. From a business standpoint, you can't blame Irsay for taking the logos and records, because they had extreme value. Some Indy fans may well like the two cities history being linked, some may not care, while purists would prefer a stand alone Indy history. Obviously , most Baltimore fans would prefer old Baltimore Colt records be rolled up into the Ravens, but Jim Irsay would never allow that to happen. Until the league's pass something like you were talking about, we will continue to have Utah Jazz's, that make no sense.