Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So I'll Just Come Out And Say It.

Jaric

I hope we lose to the Jaguars.

That's right. I, a colts fan, and officially rooting against them next week against the Jaguars. This is something I've never done before, and I hope I never have to do again.

Blasphemy right? I must be a terrible fan right?

Before you flame me, I ask everyone here to ask themselves what on earth would one more win accomplish? So we're 3-13 instead of 2-14? Great. That means precisely nothing in the grand scheme of things. What difference would losing and securing the first overall pick accomplish? One of either two things.

It would potentially set up as at QB for the next 10-15 years. Or it would allow us to trade down for a kings randsom of picks and set us up at other positions for the next 10-15 years (ideally) We beat the Jags in a game that means nothing as far as this season is concerned and that all goes away.

Yeah losing sucks. But you know what, I'm more than willing to forgo the instant gratification that one win brings keeping in mind that by losing we could potentially ensure long term success for this frachise moving forward. This season is already over.

So for the next week and a half, I'm a Jaguar fan, and proud of it.

(NOTE: This post should be ignored if the unthinkable happens and both the Vikings and Rams win this weekend.)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy we won the two games we won. I don't get people being upset about it, and I don't know what they want the team and the players to do.

But I, too, hope we lose next week. Or else, I hope the Vikings and Rams win this week. I'm not 100% in the Andrew Luck camp (although Barkley staying has made that a lot more practical IMO), but I do think the #1 pick is super valuable and I hope we get it. Like Jaric says, 3-13 isn't any better than 2-14. 1-15 is definitely better than 0-16.

Or else, I hope the Vikings and Rams win this week.

Well, this is actually my best case scenario. But looking at their schedules I don't see both of them chalking up a win unless some teams start resting players.

It's not even that I want them to lose, just that given a choice between 3-13 or drafting first overall, I'm going to pick drafting first overall without hesitation.

Well, this is actually my best case scenario. But looking at their schedules I don't see both of them chalking up a win unless some teams start resting players.

It's not even that I want them to lose, just that given a choice between 3-13 or drafting first overall, I'm going to pick drafting first overall without hesitation.

I agree....take 2-14 and the #1 pick without hesitation. Whether or not the guy is Luck, that pick has tremendous value! In my opinion, one more win will be forgotten in a few weeks.....but the Pick (or trade) could set up up for another 10+ yrs.

I don't know . I've felt really good for two weeks now & want to see them put a beating on the Jags . It may be short sighted but I want my team to win & win convicingly regardless of the circumstances . There are many cases where can't miss quarterbacks have ...missed . If we lose the top pick but choose a quarterback , maybe not pro-ready but " groomable " ; I can live w/ that . It's a quarterback rich draft class . I'm sure that the team doesn't want to tank the last game of the season .

I agree but be ready for the

Your not a real fan!!!!

3-13 is way more important then a franchise QB of the decade!!!!!

Peyton Manning can play for 2-3 more years!!!!!!

You play to win the game!!!!!!!!

Then you think that Andrew Luck is head and shoulders better than any other QB or player in the draft

..whom we could get with the 2nd pick?

Really?

I completely understand where you are coming from Jaric.

Winning one more game and going 3-13 is going to do absolutely nothing for us in the long run. Going 2-14 will do something for us in the long run. We either will be able to take one of the best QB prospects to come out in years or like you said trade down for a kings ransom. Teams like Washington and Seattle will be climbing over each other to get that spot.

To me if losing against the Jags means we can trade that first pick for multiple first and second round picks and quickly reload for our last run with Manning then I wan to see them do it.

If losing against the Jags gets us another 10 years of great QB play then it is well worth losing one more game.

It was like the year Durant came out. The Pacers were in great position in the lottery to get him, but they played themselves right out of it. You cannot tell me winning those extra ten or so games that one year was worth losing a much better chance at Durant.

Luck could easily fall to 2 or 3.

2 much more likely than 3. Vikes and Rams both have very young, good QBs, and both have other needs. If the Rams get the number 1 pick and Colts have number 2, Rams will pick OL and Colts will pick Luck.

2 much more likely than 3. Vikes and Rams both have very young, good QBs, and both have other needs. If the Rams get the number 1 pick and Colts have number 2, Rams will pick OL and Colts will pick Luck.

Sadly that would be too easy - I'm 100% sure they'd trade it away.

OP: Several people (SilentHill in particular) were flamed very strongly for saying that, but I agree entirely. However priorities straight - first thing to do is cheer your heart out for Vikings, Rams and 49ers (so they rest starters vs Rams week 17) tomorrow.

Then you think that Andrew Luck is head and shoulders better than any other QB or player in the draft

..whom we could get with the 2nd pick?

Really?

If Andrew Luck is who we think he is, is largely irrevelent for this discussion.

The first overall pick has signicantly more value than any other pick in this draft. Going 3-13 vs 2-14 has really no value. Even if you don't think Andrew Luck is the guy, you should still want the pick because we'll get far more trading the first overall pick than we would the 2nd or 3rd.

If they don't pick Luck, they'll likely trade the pick to one of the 5-10 teams who are drooling over the idea of him on their team.

Unless the Rams or Vikings are totally incompetent, there is no way he falls past the first pick.

no luck is the first pick no matter what. rams/vikings will trade down for a ransom. if colts get the third pick then i can reallyvsee the 2nd pick also being traded. with barkley not coming out, only two nfl ready qbs are coming out. teams that need a qb will probably trade up for rg3. if we do win and i hope we do, i see us getting a cb, ot, or wr. rg3 and luck will both be gone imo.

If Andrew Luck is who we think he is, is largely irrevelent for this discussion.

The first overall pick has signicantly more value than any other pick in this draft. Going 3-13 vs 2-14 has really no value. Even if you don't think Andrew Luck is the guy, you should still want the pick because we'll get far more trading the first overall pick than we would the 2nd or 3rd.

Okay..irregardless of the player available..

the second pick is EXACTLY the same as the first pick...

Its an all-American....probably from a major college..who is certain to start immediately..

Its no loss to get the second pick instead of the 1st and you can trade up one space..if we later believe it is.

The second pick is excatly the same as the first unless you think one player is

we wont trade luck so fans who dont want luck would rather us have that 2nd or 3rd pick so we can draft to win now and in the future. A great ot, wr, or cb is not going to suddenly disappear once manning retires contrary to what some people think.

..and guys..theVikings final game is at home against the Bears..with Johnny Knox...Matt Forte and Jay Cutler..

The bears are also on their 3rd string QB..and have lost 4 in a row going into a Xmas night Alomo at Green bay..

Minnesota most likely will have 3 wins and will draft behind the Colts

The Rams are in shambles and play (I think) the steelers and niners.

They aren't going to win another game without some kind of divine intervention.

We stand to lose far more from beating the Jaguars than we do by losing to them.

..and guys..theVikings final game is at home against the Bears..with Johnny Knox...Matt Forte and Jay Cutler..

The bears are also on their 3rd string QB..and have lost 4 in a row going into a Xmas night Alomo at Green bay..

Minnesota most likely will have 3 wins and will draft behind the Colts

vikings are truly horrible though. and besides st. louis wont win for sure, so imo out of all three teams we have the most likely chance to win.

The battle between the heart and the mind... I'm not as anxious for the first pick now that Peyton is starting to turn the corner, he looks like he's coming back, and at full strength, no rookie is better than that.

With that said, I'll live with whatever happens. I don't expect a group of prideful guys to give up on divisional games, (btw i said a few weeks ago that I thought there was a pretty good chance they'd win all of these.) They are fighting to keep jobs and keep the "Indy" system in place.

The other thing here is I think St.Louis can surprise a Charlie Batch lead Stilers team. Also, I think Minny can beat the Bears with Whateverhisfirstnameis McClown. So its not a given how these next two weeks play out.

Its an all-American....probably from a major college..who is certain to start immediately..

Its no loss to get the second pick instead of the 1st and you can trade up one space..if we later believe it is.

Very well said. Also, whoever we get at pick two would likely contribute immediately, and for a decade, instead of just several years from now.

I understand where Jaric, SilentHill and others are coming from and don't think it makes them any less of a Colts fan for expressing honestly how they feel. I want the first pick too but don't want the Colts to lie down for it and personally I can't actively root against the Colts. Pulling hard for Vikes and Ram wins though. Vikes have decent shot against Skins because Washington is a Jeckyl and Hyde team. Rams concern me a bit.

Again and again it is somewhat astonishing (at least for me) that people like the thread starter think that only Luck can play the QB position properly for the next decade. Was Drew Brees a #1 pick? Or Aaron Rodgers? Or Matt Schaub? Or Ben Roethlisberger?

Really, I don't get it why everybody is so keen on Luck. I would love to see Manning here next year backed up by Orlovsky.

I understand where Jaric, SilentHill and others are coming from and don't think it makes them any less of a Colts fan for expressing honestly how they feel. I want the first pick too but don't want the Colts to lie down for it and personally I can't actively root against the Colts. Pulling hard for Vikes and Ram wins though. Vikes have decent shot against Skins because Washington is a Jeckyl and Hyde team. Rams concern me a bit.

Anyone who thinks it makes people less of a Colts fan are looking at it the wrong way. People can disagree with it but there's no need for the "You're not a real fan. I am" high horse.

And also, there's a huge difference between pick one and two when pick one is Andrew Luck.

For the record, I'm not saying we should tank it. Just that I hope we don't win.

I

We have a lot of emotion at home..Thursday was almost unbelievable for a 1-13 team..to get support like that..

It was about Danny O and Reggie and there was dram,a with the Texans..

...I'll not sure we'll be 'up' much after nine days off ..

..and the Jax have the emotion...For some of them..its their final game there/

Again and again it is somewhat astonishing (at least for me) that people like the thread starter think that only Luck can play the QB position properly for the next decade. Was Drew Brees a #1 pick? Or Aaron Rodgers? Or Matt Schaub? Or Ben Roethlisberger?

Really, I don't get it why everybody is so keen on Luck. I would love to see Manning here next year backed up by Orlovsky.

At what point did I ever state that only Luck can play the QB position? I'll save you the time because I didn't.

What I said was that getting the first over pick gives us two options.

The first involves taking Luck if we belive he's the future at QB. The second option is to trade that pick, because even if we don't think Luck is the guy, there are plenty of other teams out there who will, and will be willing to trade a kings randsom for the change to draft him.

This thread has nothing, repeat nothing, repeat NOTHING to do with whether or not you think Andrew Luck is who people think he is. The point is that there is a significant drop in value this season from drafting 1st overall versus 2nd or 3rd.

That's the point. Not that Obi-wan Luck is our only hope.

If it makes you feel any better MJD seems to always have good games against the run D. That alone has been good enough to give up games in the past. The biggest IF of that game is Blaine Gabbert, if he's ok to good, that makes the game much more difficult, than if say he comes out and play's like Blaine Gabbert.

I

We have a lot of emotion at home..Thursday was almost unbelievable for a 1-13 team..to get support like that..

It was about Danny O and Reggie and there was dram,a with the Texans..

...I'll not sure we'll be 'up' much after nine days off ..

..and the Jax have the emotion...For some of them..its their final game there/

i disagree with who has the emotion. colts have all the momentum and are playing hard to end the season as winners. jax looks like a team that is checked out.

That's what they said in 1998. ;)

Very well said. Also, whoever we get at pick two would likely contribute immediately, and for a decade, instead of just several years from now.

You're missing the point. This is not about Luck, it's about the value that the first overall pick has this year compared to drafting 2nd or 3rd. If we win against the Jags, we likely lose out on that value.

That's the point.

You're missing the point. This is not about Luck, it's about the value that the first overall pick has this year compared to drafting 2nd or 3rd. If we win against the Jags, we likely lose out on that value.

That's the point.

we will not trade the first pick. polian and irsay have pretty much confirmed this. they would take luck. if u dont want luck then u dont want the first pick. its that simple.

Anyone who thinks it makes people less of a Colts fan are looking at it the wrong way. People can disagree with it but there's no need for the "You're not a real fan. I am" high horse.

And also, there's a huge difference between pick one and two when pick one is Andrew Luck.

Yeah I totally agree with you there.

I hope we lose to the Jaguars.

That's right. I, a colts fan, and officially rooting against them next week against the Jaguars. This is something I've never done before, and I hope I never have to do again.

Blasphemy right? I must be a terrible fan right?

Before you flame me, I ask everyone here to ask themselves what on earth would one more win accomplish? So we're 3-13 instead of 2-14? Great. That means precisely nothing in the grand scheme of things. What difference would losing and securing the first overall pick accomplish? One of either two things.

It would potentially set up as at QB for the next 10-15 years. Or it would allow us to trade down for a kings randsom of picks and set us up at other positions for the next 10-15 years (ideally) We beat the Jags in a game that means nothing as far as this season is concerned and that all goes away.

Yeah losing sucks. But you know what, I'm more than willing to forgo the instant gratification that one win brings keeping in mind that by losing we could potentially ensure long term success for this frachise moving forward. This season is already over.

So for the next week and a half, I'm a Jaguar fan, and proud of it.

(NOTE: This post should be ignored if the unthinkable happens and both the Vikings and Rams win this weekend.)

yep you're a terrible fan. I always root for the team, not the draft order.

Traitor :flaming:

we will not trade the first pick. polian and irsay have pretty much confirmed this. they would take luck. if u dont want luck then u dont want the first pick. its that simple.

Rule number one about offseason statements like this is that you should never believe them until they actually happen.

If we make it known we want Luck, it makes what people have to offer us to get the pick to draft Luck even higher. If we say we have no intention of drafting him, then what we could get in trade drops.