Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

An interesting scenario for the safety position/rest of secondary.

Let's say the Colts spend a high draft pick on one of the drafts premier corners (Peters, Johnson, or Darby)

Do you think it would be a good idea to move Darius Butler to safety? He has the skillet for it and it would allow us to give adequate playing time to a corner who would theoretically take over for Toler next year after he hits FA.

If we draft a big press-corner like Darby or Peters, we could kick Toler into the slot (where he's at his best) in nickel packages and move the rookie to the outside. In Johnson's case he could just play in the slot from day 1. 

Let's say the Colts spend a high draft pick on one of the drafts premier corners (Peters, Johnson, or Darby)

Do you think it would be a good idea to move Darius Butler to safety? He has the skillet for it and it would allow us to give adequate playing time to a corner who would theoretically take over for Toler next year after he hits FA.

If we draft a big press-corner like Darby or Peters, we could kick Toler into the slot (where he's at his best) in nickel packages and move the rookie to the outside. In Johnson's case he could just play nickel. 

I am very much on board for drafting a corner in the first if Peters or Johnson are there. As a deep safety I think Butler would be pretty solid, but I also feel that is where Adams was at his best so I'd feel conflicted. I just wish we had a freakin' strong safety on the roster that wasn't an undrafted rookie last year.

I am very much on board for drafting a corner in the first if Peters or Johnson are there. As a deep safety I think Butler would be pretty solid, but I also feel that is where Adams was at his best so I'd feel conflicted. I just wish we had a freakin' strong safety on the roster that wasn't an undrafted rookie last year.

we have Winston Guy who i feel is underestimated he has starting experience and watching some of his tape from his time at kentucky i absolutely love the guy not against bringing in a safety in the middle rounds like Geathers to compete and provide depth but i really think people should look into winston he's gonna impress some people this year

I'd worry about him in run support. Angles, getting around/off blocks, and physicality. And he's kind of smallish for a safety. Smaller than McCourty and Adams. In a pinch, he'd be a good fill-in. I don't think he'd be a good full-time safety.

Never really thought about this, but it would be okay.

I don't feel comfortable with Butler as a full time starting safety though. And looking at what we have Adams (good coverage guy) Lowery (Decent against the run) and Butler would be another coverage guy, I'd think that we'd need to add a run stopping S mid rounds still. 

I would love Marcus Peters (Favorite Corner in this draft, insane ceiling), and Kevin Johnson's a great cover guy, and Darby's got some potential in a slot role.

A draft would most likely have to look like:

1. CB

2. DL

3. S

and then on... 

But it leaves me to wonder if it would just be better to keep Butler at the slot and still draft a CB, and get rid of Toler.

I am hoping for a CB early too. Toler is a aging FA next year and CB's are very expensive in free agency with the talent at CB in this years draft I think it would be a huge mistake not to draft our CB of the future.

Peters is a probably the best press corner in the draft without the baggage we wouldn't sniff him at 29. I am usually not one for taking a chance on guys with character issues but the idea of Davis and Peters on the outside would really allow us to do some things on D.

I really hope we don't reach for a S. There is too much talent at other positions. I'd wouldn't mind going Peters, Dawson/Anthony hopefully one falls to us and then Hardison/Anderson. the first 2 days.

I'd leave Adams and Butler right where they are at.

I think we still bring in another vet. at S before it is all said and done. Or maybe Grig's is serious about Winston Guy. Not many believed in Adams or Sergio's ability to get the job done last year. We will be better at the position just by not having Landry on the field. 

I am hoping for a CB early too. Toler is a aging FA next year and CB's are very expensive in free agency with the talent at CB in this years draft I think it would be a huge mistake not to draft our CB of the future.

Peters is a probably the best press corner in the draft without the baggage we wouldn't sniff him at 29. I am usually not one for taking a chance on guys with character issues but the idea of Davis and Peters on the outside would really allow us to do some things on D.

I really hope we don't reach for a S. There is too much talent at other positions. I'd wouldn't mind going Peters, Dawson/Anthony hopefully one falls to us and then Hardison/Anderson. the first 2 days.

I'd leave Adams and Butler right where they are at.

I think we still bring in another vet. at S before it is all said and done. Or maybe Grig's is serious about Winston Guy. Not many believed in Adams or Sergio's ability to get the job done last year. We will be better at the position just by not having Landry on the field. 

If you're saying you would like the first three rounds to consist of Marcus Peters, Paul Dawson, and Marcus Hardison, then you and I are on the same wavelength. Throw in Clayton Geathers in the 4th and I'll never say a bad thing about Grigson again.

If you're saying you would like the first three rounds to consist of Marcus Peters, Paul Dawson, and Marcus Hardison, then you and I are on the same wavelength. Throw in Clayton Geathers in the 4th and I'll never say a bad thing about Grigson again.

That is exactly what I was saying

Why is it we don't use traditional SS and FS in our D seems like a way better idea then what we do

Because if you can commit the front seven to the box, you can control the run game better. They want the strong safety to be able to cover the strong side receiver, usually a TE or a slot receiver, especially if that receiver doesn't come across the field. 

One of the ways the Pats took advantage of our defense was by stressing the pass defense horizontally. When you play a heavy box, you usually need to give a cushion on the outside, otherwise your defense has no depth; one missed tackle and it's a TD. They knew they couldn't beat us vertically so they used a lot of short passes to get us running across the field, and we helped by tackling like Pop Warner players. Once we started changing our alignments outside, they had even more of an advantage in the box, and they started pounding away again. 

I like the idea of moving a CB to safety in general.  I've trumpeted doing this with Ifo Ekpre-Olomu in the draft several times on here.  Willing tackler, great instincts and showed he can play very well against TEs when he blanketed Zach Ertz in 2012, among others.

I like the idea of moving a CB to safety in general.  I've trumpeted doing this with Ifo Ekpre-Olomu in the draft several times on here.  Willing tackler, great instincts and showed he can play very well against TEs when he blanketed Zach Ertz in 2012, among others.

You sure it was the 2012 game?

I just looked it up.     Here's the Ertz line in that game won by Stanford 17-14 in overtime.

Ertz, Zach  11  106  1  22 

Perhaps it was another year?

You sure it was the 2012 game?

I just looked it up.     Here's the Ertz line in that game won by Stanford 17-14 in overtime.

Ertz, Zach  11  106  1  22 

Perhaps it was another year?

He didn't cover him the entire game and did well against him when he did.  The only major catch he "had" against him if memory serves was the TD, which was absolutely not a TD.  He was bobbling it as he slid on his back out of bounds.

Peters and Davis would make a dynamite lock down set of CBs. these two would give our pass rush a second or two more to get to the QB. Peters could be available at #29. If so, then 2nd and 3rd round picks could be LB and DL people. "Stop the Run!"