Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Elway's free agents come up small on big stage

amfootball

Demarcus Ware was non-existent yesterday as he had been for the Cowboys the last few years at the end of the season and in big games.

And Talib? He may have had the worst game vs TY.

Elway specifically got both players with the hope that both would be difference makers in the post-season to get back to the bowl and both were awful yesterday.

Demarcus Ware was non-existent yesterday as he had been for the Cowboys the last few years at the end of the season and in big games.

And Talib? He may have had the worst game vs TY.

Elway specifically got both players with the hope that both would be difference makers in the post-season to get back to the bowl and both were awful yesterday.

Jack Del Rio keeps putting man corners in zone coverage. Plus, he puts the speedier Chris Harris on Moncrief or Wayne as opposed to on T.Y. There is something fundamentally stubborn or erratic about JDR's choices. Educated football fans can sometimes tell better matchups than what he places on the field (like T.J.Ward on Edelman in the Pats game etc.).

It came down to the pass rush, which was absolutely non existent. How in the heck do people think Von Miller is elite?Luck had all day long, I was really surprised. I thought Cincinnati did a better job and they had the LEAST SACKS IN THE LEAGUE with 20 during the season. 

You can't hang that on the secondary, there was no pressure. The secondary played well considering the circumstance. 

and god, manning was terrible, how many times did emanuel sanders have at least a step on his man and Manning missed him. 

How often do big name FA"s really work out. I have noticed that there are a lot of people on here that would have Grigs sign or make a run at every big name that comes up. I for one am glad Grigs has been doing things differently. FA's and buying a title rarely works you have to build it.

I don't think you could say Talib played well in any circumstance it was pretty clear he could not stay with TY.

How often do big name FA"s really work out. I have noticed that there are a lot of people on here that would have Grigs sign or make a run at every big name that comes up. I for one am glad Grigs has been doing things differently. FA's and buying a title rarely works you have to build it.

I don't think you could say Talib played well in any circumstance it was pretty clear he could not stay with TY.

How often do big name draft picks work out?

Yeah, he got those guys to win the Super Bowl and this was definitely an "or bust" season. It'll be interesting to see how things look for Denver next year if Manning calls it quits....maybe they'll bring Cutler back?

They have a ton of FAs this off-season to figure it out. If Manning retires, I think he tells them sooner rather than later so they have his money to allocate to the team.

And this is why it's so hilarious.

That team tried to buy a Super Bowl with star power similar to the 1994 49ers or the 1995 Cowboys (the reason the cap was invented. Check it out - those two teams went over the moon buying star power) and it didn't work out.

And this is why it's so hilarious.

That team tried to buy a Super Bowl with star power similar to the 1994 49ers or the 1995 Cowboys (the reason the cap was invented. Check it out - those two teams went over the moon buying star power) and it didn't work out.

Says the guy who's team dropped $60m on a broken free safety. Inaccurate and hypocritical, quite a mix.

Says the guy who's team dropped $60m on a broken free safety. Inaccurate and hypocritical, quite a mix.

Hey Superman,

I had some interesting numbers for you to crunch. Back when NE was playing Denver in early Nov. it was reported that Denver spent $124 mil this year on its team while the Pats spent just above $90 mil. This is not the cap but actual money spent. At the time, the talking heads were discussing which approach would be more successful. NE was being criticized because it did not have the star power of Denver and it was perceived that Elway was attacking the SB harder than Bill. Wanted to see if you can tell me if those numbers are accurate and how the money was allocated.

Hey Superman,

I had some interesting numbers for you to crunch. Back when NE was playing Denver in early Nov. it was reported that Denver spent $124 mil this year on its team while the Pats spent just above $90 mil. This is not the cap but actual money spent. At the time, the talking heads were discussing which approach would be more successful. NE was being criticized because it did not have the star power of Denver and it was perceived that Elway was attacking the SB harder than Bill. Wanted to see if you can tell me if those numbers are accurate and how the money was allocated.

I don't think those numbers are accurate (and by the way, didn't buy into the story line in the offseason; the two teams had different needs and were in different situations). 

The Broncos had approximately $136m in cash spending this season: $83.1m in base salaries, $34.4m in signing bonuses, $16.3m in roster bonuses, $0.5m in workout bonuses, and $1.6m in incentives.

The Pats had approximately $129m in cash spending this season: $62.3m in base salaries, $52.5m in signing bonuses, $8.8m in roster bonuses, $1.5m in workout bonuses, and $4m in incentives. 

The primary difference, as you can see, is base salary vs signing bonus. For the most part, the Broncos favor smaller signing bonuses with higher base salaries, in order to reduce dead money in future years. (This is clearly illustrated in the difference between the Revis' contract and the Talib contract, although that's an extreme example.)

Another thing, the incentives will be adjusted after the season ends. Incentives that are met or not met will have to be either paid out or credited, and for both teams, they'll be adjusted on their 2014 cap rollover and their 2015 cap space, as applicable. 

I believe the Broncos signed more free agents than the Pats did, especially name-worthy players. But the Pats spent just as much cash overall. 

I don't think those numbers are accurate (and by the way, didn't buy into the story line in the offseason; the two teams had different needs and were in different situations). 

The Broncos had approximately $136m in cash spending this season: $83.1m in base salaries, $34.4m in signing bonuses, $16.3m in roster bonuses, $0.5m in workout bonuses, and $1.6m in incentives.

The Pats had approximately $129m in cash spending this season: $62.3m in base salaries, $52.5m in signing bonuses, $8.8m in roster bonuses, $1.5m in workout bonuses, and $4m in incentives. 

The primary difference, as you can see, is base salary vs signing bonus. For the most part, the Broncos favor smaller signing bonuses with higher base salaries, in order to reduce dead money in future years. (This is clearly illustrated in the difference between the Revis' contract and the Talib contract, although that's an extreme example.)

Another thing, the incentives will be adjusted after the season ends. Incentives that are met or not met will have to be either paid out or credited, and for both teams, they'll be adjusted on their 2014 cap rollover and their 2015 cap space, as applicable. 

I believe the Broncos signed more free agents than the Pats did, especially name-worthy players. But the Pats spent just as much cash overall. 

Thanks. Not sure where those numbers came from. Didn't seem right to me as the Pats spend pretty close to the cap every season. But they were making a big deal about actual money spent vs the cap. Perhaps it was more about the big names than the actual money.

Yeah, he got those guys to win the Super Bowl and this was definitely an "or bust" season. It'll be interesting to see how things look for Denver next year if Manning calls it quits....maybe they'll bring Cutler back?

You just made my heart sink mentioning Cutler :( . I don't think I'll be able to take it with him

As for your topic OP I agree with you and I said it yesterday . Where the hell was Demarcus yesterday ? Or the DL? Von Miller included . Talib had an awful game but I blame JDR for assigning him to TY when he knows Talib struggled against those type of receivers and that CHJ shut TY down week 1. Ward was a no show and Emmanuel couldn't get open but when he did he was overthrown . Yesterday was just a let down by the entire team and it was very disappointing . Even if they won yesterday they would have been blown out in Foxboro again....

Maybe all he needs is a fresh start...in his original starting place.

Cutler is what he is which is an underachieving quarterback with a strong arm that quits on his team . I don't think Denver wants to deal with him again or any other team out there .

i would guess more often but the biggest difference is a draft pick that doesn't work out doesn't have anywhere near the impact on your cap as a big name FA

I think people only remember the big free agent busts and forget all the ones that have worked out.

Cutler is what he is which is an underachieving quarterback with a strong arm that quits on his team . I don't think Denver wants to deal with him again or any other team out there .

He didn't quit on his team, he was benched.

It's still not the way to build a team for the long haul a lot more risk you are talking about older players bigger figures at least that's my opinion.

I like what Grigs does sprinkles them in He nailed the draft with 3 picks and DQ and AJ have paid off especially in the playoffs

It's still not the way to build a team for the long haul a lot more risk you are talking about older players bigger figures at least that's my opinion.

I like what Grigs does sprinkles them in He nailed the draft with 3 picks and DQ and AJ have paid off especially in the playoffs

Grigs doesn't have a 37 year old qb. Apples and oranges

Grigs doesn't have a 37 year old qb. Apples and oranges

I'm not talking about just the Broncos I'm talking in general every big name that was available this board wanted Grigs to go after. Complaints all TE didn't pick up so and so he did it the right way IMO look where we are.

There are other examples Synder comes to mind

I'm not talking about just the Broncos I'm talking in general every big name that was available this board wanted Grigs to go after. Complaints all TE didn't pick up so and so he did it the right way IMO look where we are.

There are other examples Synder comes to mind

I agree with that. But elway really didn't have that luxury.

You mean the game when he tore his MCL? I guess the majority of the players in the NFL are pathetic then.

Yeah and I've witnessed Phillip Rivers play on a torn acl in the AFC Championship game .....and a busted up back this season . What about Elway late in his career ? When you're in a game that significant you do what it takes to win and not just that game there were games when Cutler just gave up . I've always questioned his character

Yeah and I've witnessed Phillip Rivers play on a torn acl in the AFC Championship game .....and a busted up back this season . What about Elway late in his career ? When you're in a game that significant you do what it takes to win and not just that game there were games when Cutler just gave up . I've always questioned his character

I told you he thinks cutler is good lmao