Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I would put Vontae on Gronk

Indeee

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course Antonio Brown is better than him. That guy has an argument for the best WR in football. But no objective person is taking Brandon LaFell over Emmanuel Sanders. Only bias Pats homers. 

Because soft receivers in big games never show up... but physical receivers do... David Givens, Michael Irvin, Ed McKaffrey, Rod Smith, Golden Tate, Hines Ward, Keyshawn Johnson, Anquan Boldin, etc..

Because soft receivers in big games never show up... but physical receivers do... David Givens, Michael Irvin, Ed McKaffrey, Rod Smith, Golden Tate, Hines Ward, Keyshawn Johnson, Anquan Boldin, etc..

Is this a joke? Sanders was beating Toler deep all game. Peyton couldn't hit him.

Please change your handle.

forget stopping gronk let's make they worry about stopping fleener and allen. go five wide with hilton moncrief and nicks and have fleener and allen run out at the same time and actually throw it to them. Our best def in this game will be our offense scoring tds on nearly every drive while using up as much of the clock as possible. Gronk can't hurt us if he on the sidelines.

forget stopping gronk let's make they worry about stopping fleener and allen. go five wide with hilton moncrief and nicks and have fleener and allen run out at the same time and actually throw it to them. Our best def in this game will be our offense scoring tds on nearly every drive while using up as much of the clock as possible. Gronk can't hurt us if he on the sidelines.

Still wouldn't hurt to try to stop the Pats offense while they ARE on the field.

Landry is supposed to be around 4.3 to 4.4 speed, but for some reason he is always trailing these tight ends. He's never step for step most of the time.

Landry problem is between the shoulder pads.  Hopefully he will become a film room dork this week and learn some of gronks tendencies that will show if he is cutting or staying verticle.

Having thought about this, and watched some games and plays in the meantime, I think we should use Vontae on Gronk in deep red zone / goal line situations, when Gronk is split out wide. Other than that, bracket him, and use Vontae in his normal role.

Far more important is that we mind the gaps in the run game, and tackle well.

Having thought about this, and watched some games and plays in the meantime, I think we should use Vontae on Gronk in deep red zone / goal line situations, when Gronk is split out wide. Other than that, bracket him, and use Vontae in his normal role.

Far more important is that we mind the gaps in the run game, and tackle well.

I think Davis or anyone 1 on 1 at any point on GRINK a call for disaster for the colts. Gronk would win ANY jump ball that way and def out muscle him.

I think Davis or anyone 1 on 1 at any point on GRINK a call for disaster for the colts. Gronk would win ANY jump ball that way and def out muscle him.

Given that Gronk appears to be not off this world and virtually unstoppable, I wonder if the Colts will even bother flying to Foxboro.  Prolly should just forfeit.

Thanks for your opinion, even if overstated.

Did you ever think about it from the perspective of the defensive coaches? Gronk is a monster, but someone has to guard him in that situation. My opinion is that Davis would be the best bet. Doesn't mean I think Davis is going to shut him down in that case -- although he's done very well against big bodied TEs in goal line situations -- but that I think Davis would have a better chance against him than anyone else on the defense.

Given that Gronk appears to be not off this world and virtually unstoppable, I wonder if the Colts will even bother flying to Foxboro. Prolly should just forfeit.

I didn't say unstoppable, just that any time a team tried match Gronk up one on one they got burned. I don't think the colt dumb enough to do that, I think they try and force Brady to his 3rd (LaFell) or 4th option (Amondola) to beat them. I think if Amandola has a good game the pats win. (But I've been wrong before)

Did you ever think about it from the perspective of the defensive coaches? Gronk is a monster, but someone has to guard him in that situation. My opinion is that Davis would be the best bet. Doesn't mean I think Davis is going to shut him down in that case -- although he's done very well against big bodied TEs in goal line situations -- but that I think Davis would have a better chance against him than anyone else on the defense.

No I think they still double him down at the goal line as well. Most teams do. But either way if they allow him a clean release from the line is a bigger issue. Ya have to bump him at the line!

No I think they still double him down at the goal line as well. Most teams do. But either way if they allow him a clean release from the line is a bigger issue. Ya have to bump him at the line!

And Vontae is better at that than anyone else we have.

Also, it's nearly impossible to double a TE running a fade route on the goal line. That's partly why teams do it. And again, if I had my way, it would be Vontae over there on him in that situation.

Thank you.  Thank you. Thank you.

Clearly he is a fantastic player and presents problems for whoever covers him but somebody has to do it.  Davis on the goal may be a viable option - or the most viable for Indy. 

And Vontae is better at that than anyone else we have.

Also, it's nearly impossible to double a TE running a fade route on the goal line. That's partly why teams do it. And again, if I had my way, it would be Vontae over there on him in that situation.

Now gonna make me see how many fade routes the big guy runs . lol I don't think many but pfft been wrong just ask my wife lol.

Thank you.  Thank you. Thank you.

Clearly he is a fantastic player and presents problems for whoever covers him but somebody has to do it.  Davis on the goal may be a viable option - or the most viable for Indy. 

They didn't use him much in the earlier matchup. Didn't have to, really. But in that game, and in the previous game against the Broncos, when Gronk was in the slot or out wide with a corner or a safety over him, they didn't go his way very often.

Against the Broncos, he was covered by either Talib or Ward on about 20 pass plays (estimate, not charted), and they targeted him 5 times for 4 catches, 47 yards, no TDs, 7 total yards after catch. That's decent, but nothing to worry about. And most of that was against Ward. Against Talib, just one catch for 11 yards.

Against the Colts, they had him against a corner or a safety about 15 times, and only targeted him four times, resulting in 3 catches for 45 yards, and an INT. Against Vontae, one catch, 9 yards. His big play came against Jackson, which is a matchup we don't want, ever. 

He's obviously their biggest matchup advantage, but someone's got to do it. 

Now gonna make me see how many fade routes the big guy runs . lol I don't think many but pfft been wrong just ask my wife lol.

I think a lot of defenders cheat on the fade against Gronk, and then he comes back for the slant. Vontae doesn't cheat on the fade, usually. 

I think a lot of defenders cheat on the fade against Gronk, and then he comes back for the slant. Vontae doesn't cheat on the fade, usually.

Speaking of Vontae I see he is in the DNP list is it a serious injury? Also notice your 2nd corner was out today too.

Speaking of Vontae I see he is in the DNP list is it a serious injury? Also notice your 2nd corner was out today too.

He's been nursing some stuff lately. Pagano said Monday there were no injuries. This is probably precautionary. Same with Toler, he missed some practiced time last week and the week before, I think. They'll both probably go tomorrow.

I'm expecting NE to throw more this game. They know we will be thinking about last time and going all out to stop the run. BB is good with hitting you with the opposite of what you were expecting. With their passing game, those quick passes to Amendola and Edelman really brought their Offense back to life against Baltimore. Butler is going to be very crucial against that.

that would be a waste of your best corner.  No corner can cover Gronk 1 on 1 because of his size, he'll just box them out like a rebound in basketball.

Also, Edelman will eat up any corner on the Colts not named Vontae.

The best way to deal with Gronk is a linebacker at the line with safety help over the top.