Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we PLEASE squash the "weak division" ignorance?

DalTXColtsFan

The easy division arguement is ignorant.  All division leaders play at least 1 easy team 2x.  Some teams play several easy teams.  I don't hear anybody is calling out NE the last decade for them pretty much being the only team from that division to make the playoffs year after year.  Last year we beat some great teams, and we are 11-5 once again (3rd straight year).  I don't think ANY team does that just being mediocre.  The NFL is very competitive, especially divisional games, so you can't discredit any victory.

Who cares?

How you got there will be inconsequential to how things end up, good or bad. You rarely hear someone talking about one of the teams in the Super Bowl saying, "Well, they played in a weak division, so..."

Because in the end, it doesn't matter. Really nothing matters at this point, except what happens moving forward.

What I find really funny about this is how the media and everyone never say oh look the Pats have a weak division which is why they win it basically every year no then they are just that good. When it's the Colts however it's the only reason we ever make the playoffs who is the big challenge Buffalo who has a winning season this year after how many years? Give me a break.

Preach. To the peanut gallery going "we're 5-5 outside the division", have you ever stopped and considered of those 10 games who we faced? Here are the records of those teams.

12-4

10-6
10-6
10-5-1
11-5
6-10
12-4
4-12
7-9
12-4
Combined record of the teams the Colts faced outside of the division: 94-65-1. Going .500 against these opponents does not indicate "legitimate super bowl contender" but it also definitely doesn't indicate "mediocre at best". There is no team in the NFL that hasn't looked very pedestrian at some point this season. No team.

I don't know if that was our record in 2012 outside the division because I recall being 11 - 5 but having a loss to the Texans in there.  So we where likely 6 - 4 outside the division and 5 - 1 in the division in 2012.  

But this year and last we've been 6 - 0 in the division and 5 - 5 outside the division.  

We were 4-2 in the division in 2012. Puts the team at 7-3 outside the division that year. And we went 3-1 against the NFC North and 2-2 against the AFC East.

The most important thing, as stated earlier, is that we dominated the division.  That means we get to go to the playoffs.  And in the playoffs, our record during the regular season does not matter.  You win games, you move on.  Our bad losses to Denver, Pitt, and NE aren't important anymore.

BUT

That does not change the fact that we play in a terrible terrible division.  The only one that is comparable would be the NFC south.  That division is four below average teams that all beat up on each other, leaving no team to dominate the division.  I would go out on a limb and say that if we played the NFC south this year, that our division would not have finished much above 500.  I would expect the colts to win 2 or three games, but I think there would be a loss in there for us.  And I doubt Tenn or Jax could win more than 2 games.  Houston might be 500.  
The bottom feeders in other divisions are, in general better than the bottom feeders in ours.  And that has been consistently true for the past handfull of years.
My thoughts.  Feel free to disagree
Now let's hope we can make some noise in the playoffs. 

So I guess our division is good. Why does everyone have to have the same opinion? What's the definition of a good division? Maybe people have different definitions of what a good and bad division is. If that's the case then u will have different answers. So 1st, everybody has to establish a uniform definition of a good division and bad division. Then it will be easy to sort it out. In my opinion, I think we're in a bad division but I kinda stopped coming to the forums because I'm pressured to say things that's not true about my team just because it sounds nice to say. I'm not fake like that but will get looked at as bad mouthing them because maybe my definition of a bad and good division is just different. So....if people wanna talk that fair stuff it has to go both ways. You even have sportscenter and NFL network saying we have a weak division so ur problems with people saying that stretches far beyond this forum. Kinda impossible to squash something that's true. This isn't hidden secrets tho. Lol, I mean, when was our division ever strong? In 1700? Come on. Lol. Seriously.

By the way, last year, the team slayed dragons outside the division: Seahawks, Niners, Broncos, even the Chiefs who had a strong season (and we beat them twice).

Some fans are so tortured. I don't really get it. All this "5-5 outside the division" stuff is superficial. Last year was completely different than this year. Better in some respects, since we beat good teams. Worse in others, since we lost to some average or worse teams (Rams, Dolphins, Chargers, Cardinals, Bengals). This year, we've taken off all of the average teams, but don't have any impressive victories. It's a completely different looking 5-5 outside the division. It's not a pattern, it's not a trend, and it really says nothing about the team's right to be in the playoffs.

Our division is full of teams with no QB. So laughable.

that part is true, you could argue, and probably be right, that Hasselbeck is the second best QB in the South. Still, while the Jags and Titans are a hot mess the Texans have scrapped together a decent team without a QB and if it wasn't for the Colts sweeping them they would have been a playoff team.

So I guess our division is good. Why does everyone have to have the same opinion? What's the definition of a good division? Maybe people have different definitions of what a good and bad division is. If that's the case then u will have different answers. So 1st, everybody has to establish a uniform definition of a good division and bad division. Then it will be easy to sort it out. In my opinion, I think we're in a bad division but I kinda stopped coming to the forums because I'm pressured to say things that's not true about my team just because it sounds nice to say. I'm not fake like that but will get looked at as bad mouthing them because maybe my definition of a bad and good division is just different. So....if people wanna talk that fair stuff it has to go both ways. You even have sportscenter and NFL network saying we have a weak division so ur problems with people saying that stretches far beyond this forum. Kinda impossible to squash something that's true. This isn't hidden secrets tho. Lol, I mean, when was our division ever strong? In 1700? Come on. Lol. Seriously.

What is this nonsense? Is this meant to be humorous?

*sigh* I don't know why I bothered trying.

Well then here's a breath of fresh air for you.  First things first, we're not in THE worst division, obviously that title goes to the NFC South with only 22 wins across its division.  And when I say "best" or "worst" division, I mean the total amount of wins across that particular division without regard to whom they actually played.  Anyone can argue strength fo schedule, but I've always given that measure little weight.  Winning in the NFL is tough and any team is capable of winning any game.

That said, we are in the second worst, with 25 wins.  I'ts worth noting that we played the best division in all of football, the AFC N with 38 wins - and went 3-1 against them.  Yeah, we're 2-4 against playoff teams, but so what?  Like I said, any team can win any given game.  Are we likely to make it much further than the divisional round?  No I don't think so, but I'm still hopeful and believe we can.

Nevertheless, while the AFC South is a pretty weak division, it is up and coming.  Houston, as you already mentioned, has a winning record.  If they could just get dependable QB play, they'd be a 10 win team, easy.  I'm really excited about the Jags and I'm more than impressed with Blake Bortles.  Their defense struggled mightily against the run, but they get decent pass rush.  Their problem is that they are such a young team.  The entire secondary with the most playing time are full of guys drafted in 2013.  One of their up and comers, Aaron Colvin got some playing time late in the season and he's a rookie.  They lost Posluszny mid-season.  Telvin Smith played well as a rookie (and pretty good for a 5th rounder).  Where they really need work is on the DL. 

Offensively, they have the same problems we do - ignoring for now the QB position which I think will be fine in the coming years).  On the O-Line, Joeckel is tough to tell because as a LT with a bad QB earlier in the year and then an inexperienced one, he got credited with a lot of pressure put on the QB.  So we'll see.  Linder and Bowanko seem like good 2014 draft picks.  They need someone at RT and perhaps that line can grow together and do well - but their run blocking could stand to improve, though promising given the youth on the interior.  They have some decent young receivers most of whom are 2014 draft picks (UDFA in Hurns case) and then Cecil Shorts. 

I think those two teams are going to make this a solid division in the next couple of years.  I'm not sure what to make of the Titans and I'd write more about them, but basically, their secondary and LBs were meh, DL is solid, OL is good but QB makes them look worse than the really are, and they have practically no one at WR.  You're going to struggle in the pass game when your best WR is Delanie Walker.  Which no shot at him, he's good.  But on most any other team, he wouldn't outshine everyone on the WR corps. 

Taking the scenic route to get to the point, if those 3 teams can fill in the gaps and make solid offseason choices over the next year or two, there's no reason to think that the AFC S couldn't be one of the tougher divisions in football. Peyton will be retiring soon and Brady not far behind him which will make the AFC W and AFC N lesser divisions by default, that will make room for our division to be one of the better ones. 

P.S.  Sorry so long.  I've been busy at work and haven't really been able to discuss much, but I got to work really early today and wanted to actually do some football digging and research for once before disappearing again.  So this (probably) overly longwinded post was the result.

TrueColt!, on 29 Dec 2014 - 2:00 PM, said:snapback.png

So I guess our division is {snipped the filler...}   Lol, I mean, when was our division ever strong? In 1700? Come on. Lol. Seriously.

What is this nonsense? Is this meant to be humorous?

I had trouble following most of that.  But I sure didn't miss the last bolded statement.  I guess maybe they became a Colts fan after 2008. The AFC south has sent 2 teams to the playoffs 6 times since it's creation in 2002.  And in 2007, the AFC South sent three.  Colts were the division winner at 13-3, Jaguars at 11-5, and Titans slipped in at 10-6.  In 2008 and in 2012 the Colts made the playoffs, and did not even win the AFC South.  Our division has a history of strong performances.  A couple teams are rebuilding recently, and looking for the big field general piece. But historically the AFC South has been a worthy group.

LOL, did some research, ran across this- 

"AFC SOUTH: BEST DIVISION EVER

The AFC South wrapped up the best division record in the Super Bowl Era thanks to their two non-division wins Sunday (JAX over OAK, TEN over NYJ).

With all four AFC South teams facing each other in Week 17, the South is guaranteed a final record of 42-22 (.656 winning percentage) -- beating the 1975 AFC Central's .643 winning percentage.

Right behind the South is the NFC East, which won all four of its games out of the division this week and have a record of 38-22. If they go 2-0 out of division in Week 17 (NE at NYG, BUF at PHI), they'll finish 41-23 (.641), which would be the third-best divisional performance in history.

By the way, what was the AFC South's reward for all of its historic excellence? Only nine Pro Bowl selections, better only than the blanked NFC South. The NFC East led the way with 17 nods."

Yes, this was concerning the 2007 season and the article it is from is located here-

I wonder if this record still stands today?  But at one time, not only was the AFC South strong... it was the best ever.  :D

I'm not sure what some of you guys are complaining about. Almost every year the Ravens have to deal with the Steelers, and now the Bengals. It's never easy for us, and it would be nice for like five years, be in the AFC South or East, and grab a few easy division titles. Because we are always slugging it out with these other AFC North teams, our record isn't as good, and you usually end up on the road for playoff games. Just when you think the Steelers are done, they come up with Bell and Brown. My point is, don't apologize for your division, just take advantage of it. Eventually it may change like the NFC West.

Preach. To the peanut gallery going "we're 5-5 outside the division", have you ever stopped and considered of those 10 games who we faced? Here are the records of those teams.

12-4

10-6
10-6
10-5-1
11-5
6-10
12-4
4-12
7-9
12-4
Combined record of the teams the Colts faced outside of the division: 94-65-1. Going .500 against these opponents does not indicate "legitimate super bowl contender" but it also definitely doesn't indicate "mediocre at best". There is no team in the NFL that hasn't looked very pedestrian at some point this season. No team.

Great post. I was thinking similar myself a few days ago. Every team has looked bad at some point during this season. After all it is the NFL and its a grueling number of games. I'm not happy with the blowout losses to NE, Dallas and Pitt but as you say each time has had their moments of looking bad.

I look at it this way - put us in any of the other three divisions.  We may not have won them, but I think we'd make the playoffs in each.

I don't know who the OP is complaining about, but I'm over the division discussion.

We were 3-1 against the toughest division in the AFC

ESPN has a playoff standings page that lists strength of schedule and strength of victory for each team.  In general, the NFC West and AFC West had the toughest schedules since they played each other.  Oakland had the toughest schedule of all since they didn't have the benefit of playing themselves.

The Colts had a SOS of .479 which was one of the weaker schedules in the league and a strength of victory of only .372 which is the second weakest of any playoff team ahead of only Carolina.  So, yes, they did benefit from playing in the AFC South. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/type/playoffs