Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Stats Can't Decide Who is the "GOAT"

OldManP

Is it really that hard? When oxymoron is used as a noun.  The GOAT does contradict with every ones opinion. Opinions differ from each person and they all contradict with each other.

It is only a noun and it has nothing to do with something contracting with one's opinions. It is a figure of speech in which two opposing ideas are put together for effect. An example would be "dead man walking" or "the sound of silence."  "Greatest of all time" is not an oxymoron at all.

Having the most interceptions in NFL history immediately removes you from the GOAT debate.

Pretty much the single most important stat there is that relates to wins is turnover differential.

This is also why Luck isn't MVP just yet, but as soon as he develops a bit more and gets those int numbers down he'll make a great case for MVP

Favre is 1 of 3 or 4 guys on the top INT'd list who isn't also on the most TDs list or in the HoF, or both. I guess they're removed from the debate too?

Here is a question or 2.......Why does there have to be someone that is considered the greatest of all time? Why cant fans and media types just enjoy every players contributions and not feel the need to say "This player is the greatest of all time...."No this player is the greatest player of all time"

Why is everybody all butthurt about about this? The original post wasn't even about the GOAT. It was about stats and it was truth bomb that doesn't get dropped enough.

If everybody is going to act like a girl about it, atleast get this thread going toward the inevitable Brady/Manning debate so the rest of us can laugh.

Here is a question or 2.......Why does there have to be someone that is considered the greatest of all time? Why cant fans and media types just enjoy every players contributions and not feel the need to say "This player is the greatest of all time...."No this player is the greatest player of all time"

This, please.

We may as well argue for pages and pages about which flavor of ice cream is best. There is no way to measure this debate or quantify it. And no matter what anyone does in the modern era, we'll never know what the "old guys" would have done in this day and age. So it's a completely useless exercise.

I have never, ever, ever heard anyone suggest that stats can determine the greatest of all time at anything in any sport. Ever.

This entire exercise is a red herring that argues against a straw man.

Hmmm...the OP that has a grudge against Peyton, who is seen as a stat padder by many, and grudge meet thread that falls in line with an article they read  :). Should I go on? :)

I think to be a GOAT you have to be the best player of your generation regardless of position. I think that can be fairly determined because the variables of the sport and era are the same. After that you are comparing different eras and it becomes more subjective.

Obviously.

Posted · Hidden by Blackhawk4, December 18, 2014 - Taking shots
Hidden by Blackhawk4, December 18, 2014 - Taking shots

I have never, ever, ever heard anyone suggest that stats can determine the greatest of all time at anything in any sport. Ever.

This entire exercise is a red herring that argues against a straw man.

You're full of yourself.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, December 18, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Superman, December 18, 2014 - No reason given

You wouldn't know ad hominem if it jumped up and bit you.

Oh - almost forgot - when you're flying through your mom's basement as "superman", watch out for those columns.

It's too bad that you have such a personal problem with Peyton Manning and anyone who thinks more highly of him than you do. It's also too bad that this is the best you could come up with. You should go study the ESPN comments sections and learn some of their tricks, they're much better at this than you are.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, December 18, 2014 - inflammatory, etc
Hidden by Superman, December 18, 2014 - inflammatory, etc

It's too bad that you have such a personal problem with Peyton Manning and anyone who thinks more highly of him than you do. It's also too bad that this is the best you could come up with. You should go study the ESPN comments sections and learn some of their tricks, they're much better at this than you are.

OK. I admit that you're better at being a superhero than am I.  But I have a portfolio and a life to attend to, so please take that into account while you are saving Lois Lane from the denizens of Mom's basement.  And to my earlier point, please don't hit the posts while flying around with "Lois" in Mom's basement.

Here is your measurin' stick:

http://www.sportspickle.com/2014/11/flowchart-take-hot

Posted · Hidden by Blackhawk4, December 18, 2014 - Taking shots
Hidden by Blackhawk4, December 18, 2014 - Taking shots

And a VERY big shout out to those EIGHTEEN THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED AND NINETY FIVE posts that you made using Mom's basement and electricity.

I'm in favor of banning or giving warnings to some that cannot stop taking personal shots. The OP is literally pushing it, IMO.

The OP was pushing it because he made fan-boys uncomfortable in mom's basement? 

THIS is why the east coast does not get the flyover states.

What are you talking about? I guess you had a problem? I am sorry I made a comment to you, it wont happen again.

You've quoted 90% of this thread and gave the same response about that person's opinion being illogical. Then you quoted my post twice, and I'm not referring to the obvious double qoute within 1 post goof you just did, I'm referring to how you actually made 2 separate quotes posts to tell me how illogical my opinion is.

You mad bro.

The OP was pushing it because he made fan-boys uncomfortable in mom's basement? 

THIS is why the east coast does not get the flyover states.

You really should stop while you're already way behind and showing your age which I guess to be 13.

You really should stop while you're already way behind and showing your age which I guess to be 13.

YOU really should stop pretending you're an older woman.  I'm 60 years old, and can spot a fake "gramz" a mile away.

Posted · Hidden by Blackhawk4, December 18, 2014 - They didn't do anything wrong, but we're done with this thread.
Hidden by Blackhawk4, December 18, 2014 - They didn't do anything wrong, but we're done with this thread.

You've quoted 90% of this thread and gave the same response about that person's opinion being illogical. Then you quoted my post twice, and I'm not referring to the obvious double qoute within 1 post goof you just did, I'm referring to how you actually made 2 separate quotes posts to tell me how illogical my opinion is.

You mad bro.

I am not mad about anything. If my comments bother you that much there is an ignore button.