Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New England (- 3 1/2) @ San Diego (12-7-14)

oldunclemark

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great defensive game by the Pats. Defense only let up 7 and never let SD in the red zone again. This was playoff defense and will be needed down the stretch.

Loved seeing Brady fired up at the end when Jules scored the final TD. I know he was thinking about not finishing in GB and was happy to finish tonight.

Great win on the road. On to the division games now ...

Patriots won this game on the defensive line, they beat our rookie center too many times.  They got constant pressure and collapsed our pocket giving Rivers absolutely nowhere to go or step up. while managing to tie up the receivers.  They earned this win.  The cheap, dirty tripping foul injured Mathews enough to pretty much stop what running game we had going.  Once you're one-dimensional against a D that good, you're done.

Our D played amazing for 3 quarters, but because the offense was 3 and out the entire second half they just plain wore down (and losing players to injury)

Scifres looked to be seriously injured, I'm hoping Tom Telesco has someone in his rolodex ready to call in the morning.  Nick Novak did amazing for someone that hasn't kicked since high school.  

Tough game...

Here are my thoughts this week:

Jamie Collins is for real, I wasn't sold on him last year since he didn't play much until the end of the season and playoffs, the guy can flat out ball! 

Our O-Line did not look good tonight, SD constantly brought pressure through the middle and made Brady very uncomfortable, they need to make some adjustments there, otherwise it will cost us the game next time.

Run game, the run game was not there tonight, the SD front 4 did a great job pushing our O-Linemen back and hitting "the Blunt" in the backfield several times.

Minitron (Julian) should be going to the Pro-bowl, it was a huge disservice to him not getting to the pro-bowl last year, he should definitely get a shot this year.

Secondary, our secondary was lights out tonight, other than that awesome TD pass to Floyd our secondary played really well.

Kyle Arrington is a huge liability playing inside...

The hit on Green was legal, I am hating the NFL atm, people are getting penalized for perfect legal hits! At the end of the day we need to let players play. 

Gronk smash Gronk.

Patriots won this game on the defensive line, they beat our rookie center too many times.  They got constant pressure and collapsed our pocket giving Rivers absolutely nowhere to go or step up. while managing to tie up the receivers.  They earned this win.  The cheap, dirty tripping foul injured Mathews enough to pretty much stop what running game we had going.  Once you're one-dimensional against a D that good, you're done.

Our D played amazing for 3 quarters, but because the offense was 3 and out the entire second half they just plain wore down (and losing players to injury)

Scifres looked to be seriously injured, I'm hoping Tom Telesco has someone in his rolodex ready to call in the morning.  Nick Novak did amazing for someone that hasn't kicked since high school.  

Tough game...

I came away very impressed with your defense. Your guys on the edge were unbelievable all night. I have not seen Brady that frustrated since the second half of the Miami game. You had our guys covered and got pressure not rushing a lot of guys.

I really thought your OC did you no favors. He just kept dropping Rivers back and never did any draws or screens or misdirections. At some point you have to realize that short gains for positive yardage are beneficial when nothing is open down the field.

In terms of the trip, I really did not think it was dirty although I can how you would be upset about it. I think sometimes you are doing whatever you can to get a guy down and in the moment you stick your legs out just trying to slow them down. I did not believe there was any intent to injure but more to just get him down. It did turn the game although the Pats were not letting anything up on the run game all night.

Novak was great. What a way to come in and perform and he had to really hit some good punts given SD had terrible field position all night. I hope your punter is Ok. Glad it was his shoulder and not his legs or hips. He really fell awkward and I thought for sure he hurt his hip or leg.

I think you will give Denver all it can handle and have a real chance at the division. Very impressed with your team.

This is the type of game the Patriots have lost over the past 3 years in the post-season. A game where its offense was shut down and the D and STs had to carry the day. This type of victory is encouraging because this is what it will take to win in the post-season where the offense will not put 30+ every game. The defense made plays all over the field, all night. It was a clinic. That is championship style football. Great to see.

Here are my thoughts this week:

Jamie Collins is for real, I wasn't sold on him last year since he didn't play much until the end of the season and playoffs, the guy can flat out ball! 

Our O-Line did not look good tonight, SD constantly brought pressure through the middle and made Brady very uncomfortable, they need to make some adjustments there, otherwise it will cost us the game next time.

Run game, the run game was not there tonight, the SD front 4 did a great job pushing our O-Linemen back and hitting "the Blunt" in the backfield several times.

Minitron (Julian) should be going to the Pro-bowl, it was a huge disservice to him not getting to the pro-bowl last year, he should definitely get a shot this year.

Secondary, our secondary was lights out tonight, other than that awesome TD pass to Floyd our secondary played really well.

Kyle Arrington is a huge liability playing inside...

The hit on Green was legal, I am hating the NFL atm, people are getting penalized for perfect legal hits! At the end of the day we need to let players play. 

Gronk smash Gronk.

The pressure came from the edge not the middle which is why Brady was only sacked once. Not the Oline's best game but I thought they battled hard. Brady had to hold the ball longer because their secondary was also playing well so the combo really hurt. I liked seeing Brady take off and run a couple of times as when the pocket did collapse he stepped up which he has been great at doing this season and taking the yardage in front of him.

I don't know what you were watching but their helmets never touched in the slightest. It was a wrong call.

I was very upset at that hit in full speed but when played back in slow motion I don't think he hit his helmet.  We have to remember the refs see it at full speed, and don't have that luxury of watching it in slow mo from 3 directions.  They called it because something snapped his head back significantly.  

That's the kind of ref call we just have to live with either way it goes - there will never be perfection in this area.  We've had several exactly like that go against us this year, so I know how frustrating it can be for a defender that's playing fast and hard and clean. 

Tough game...

Hard-fought game, the Chargers' D gave the Pats the fits... especially in that third quarter. 

I hated that play by Arrington too, and hope Mathews is OK. 

Good luck the rest of the way! 

I was very upset at that hit in full speed but when played back in slow motion I don't think he hit his helmet.  We have to remember the refs see it at full speed, and don't have that luxury of watching it in slow mo from 3 directions.  They called it because something snapped his head back significantly.  

That's the kind of ref call we just have to live with either way it goes - there will never be perfection in this area.  We've had several exactly like that go against us this year, so I know how frustrating it can be for a defender that's playing fast and hard and clean. 

So important for guys on crossing routes to catch the ball cleanly. If he had brought it in and gotten his head down and his body in position, he would have been OK. I was admittedly furious at the call at the time, as it really could have changed the outcome of the game, but it is what it is. Hope the guy is OK. 

I agree and refs are instructed if in doubt to throw the flag. It was a good hit and thankfully the TD that was called back wasn't a game changer. I hope he's OK.

So important for guys on crossing routes to catch the ball cleanly. If he had brought it in and gotten his head down and his body in position, he would have been OK. I was admittedly furious at the call at the time, as it really could have changed the outcome of the game, but it is what it is. Hope the guy is OK. 

I follow LaDarius Green on Twitter and he tweeted after the game that he's fine.  It looked really scary so I hope he is no worse for the wear.

I follow LaDarius Green on Twitter and he tweeted after the game that he's fine.  It looked really scary so I hope he is no worse for the wear.

Yeah it was an ugly hit... glad he's OK! It looked like he took the brunt of it in the chest/shoulder, but that head snapping back was scary. 

I'm going to correct your misperception - Rivers does VERY well against the blitz.  He is fearless.  He is incredibly fast at reading his progressions and will not hesitate to throw early when he sees the opportunity.  The big key is if his line doesn't fold on him.  Go look at his stats when getting the ball off against a rush.  He has probably the fastest release in the NFL and with his ability to check out of plays and call coverages he's only gotten better in this new offense.

Where he can falter is when there is no pocket to step up into, when his receivers don't even have time to run their routes or when his line protection breaks down and he's blindsided (like the interception at the beginning of the Ravens game).  Remember that we are on our 5th center and have had other line injuries this year as well.  There has not been a stable line all season and yet he's managed to put up the numbers and wins he has.  

As to the Cardinals game, there were massive numbers of drops by our receivers and mis-run routes, the ball was there, but the play wasn't made.  The entire team was off, the game was completely winnable but we didn't get in synch until game 2 against the Seahawks.

The key for us is to get pressure on Brady and our secondary be able to play tight, if not it could be a looong night.  

When you have the man CBs who can take away your best #1 and #2 WRs like Arizona did with Patrick Peterson and Antonio Cromartie, Rivers is very much susceptible to the blitz. I pretty much called it. It had been the case with the Jets when they had Revis and Cromartie and gave Rivers fits in the past too, especially in that playoff game in 2009, Rex Ryan brought safety blitzes around the edges and lots of A gap blitzes. Guess what Belichick and his crew did, got a lot of A gap blitzes and blitzes off the edges, hmmm....

4 three and outs for the Patriots and Rivers did squat and kept getting sacked and a lot of it was from the edges he should have accounted for, so it was not just OL issues, Rivers missed reading and picking up delayed blitzes yesterday night.

Key against good QBs while blitzing is having the man CBs to not play zone. After blitzing a while, Belichick and Matt Patricia fooled him by doing a zone blitz (Steelers ammo) dropping an LB in coverage for the INT that Rivers did not see coming. You rush four, Rivers will pick you apart. Rush more than 4 most of the time and have the man CBs, Rivers struggles. This is the truth. Of course, only few have the personnel to execute it, I will give you that.

Now watch dumb Jack Del Rio just rush four vs Rivers and get torn apart :).