Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New England (- 3 1/2) @ San Diego (12-7-14)

oldunclemark

NBC - Sunday night,....Low 60s and dry..8:30 EST

over-under 51.5

Pivotal game for the top seed in the AFC...

Patriots (9-3) almost surely go on to take the top spot if they win.

Denver (9-3) probably takes the top see if NW loses.

..and San Diego (7-4) can back door into the top spot if they sweep NE and Denver in the next 2 weeks and the Bengals (8-3-1), Broncos and Colts (8-4) lose one more..

NE is 6-0 at home and 3-3 on the road.

Rob Gronkowski needs 90 yards to reach 1,000 for the season..Pats have 3 receivers who could reach 1,000

NE averages 380 yards a game.

PHillip Rivers (34 of 45 last week for 383)has 25 TDs and 10 interceptions but SD has rushed for only 1,048 yards in 12 games.

This stat does not sound believable but Philip Rivers is 30-6 in the month of Decemeber.

If I you can get more than 3 points, take the Chargers..and this game should go way 'over'

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish SD beats NE. It will benefit both Colts and Denver.

I don't blame you for wanting the Pats to lose but this hoping for it because it benefits the Colts AND Denver makes no sense to me. You do realize the Colts have a chance at a bye even possibly the number one seed if both the Pats and Denver lose?

I don't blame you for wanting the Pats to lose but this hoping for it because it benefits the Colts AND Denver makes no sense to me. You do realize the Colts have a chance at a bye even possibly the number one seed if both the Pats and Denver lose?

Yeah I do. It's good :).

Of course. Then there is no point of SD beating NE.

I guess I just don't get it. If your team is the Colts you should be rooting for both NE and Denver to lose so you can get the bye or possibly the one seed. Or do you like Manning that much that you would sacrifice the Colts position to see him ahead of your team?

I guess I just don't get it. If your team is the Colts you should be rooting for both NE and Denver to lose so you can get the bye or possibly the one seed. Or do you like Manning that much that you would sacrifice the Colts position to see him ahead of your team?

I knew where you are going with this from the beginning.

Anything to stop the SB going through Foxboro.

I knew where you are going with this from the beginning.

Anything to stop the SB going through Foxboro.

I get that. No Pats. But also no Indy either? You opened a season with a loss at Denver. Having to play them in Indy would be a big advantage for your chance at the bowl given you already beat Manning there last year.

I get that. No Pats. But also no Indy either? You opened a season with a loss at Denver. Having to play them in Indy would be a big advantage for your chance at the bowl given you already beat Manning there last year.

Denver has a better chance to get no 1 than Indy. Indy losing both to Denver and Pats doesn't help. Indy need to be 1 game over both of them to get no 1 seed but it's trailing by 1.

Denver has a better chance to get no 1 than Indy. Indy losing both to Denver and Pats doesn't help. Indy need to be 1 game over both of them to get no 1 seed but it's trailing by 1.

Four games to go. Anything can happen. I would think your rooting interest would be for your team to get to #1. And for that to happen the Pats and Denver need to lose and they both have a couple of tough games left. Denver actually has the tougher schedule with at SD and at Cincy.

Four games to go. Anything can happen. I would think your rooting interest would be for your team to get to #1. And for that to happen the Pats and Denver need to lose and they both have a couple of tough games left. Denver actually has the tougher schedule with at SD and at Cincy.

Yeah but i am being cautious. I am ok for Colts to take the No 2 seed as long as NE doesnt get No 1.

Like i said, I am ok for Colts to take whatever it falls into as long as NE doesnt get No 1 and Denver has the best chance to stop NE for No 1.

So if the Pats lost and Denver won and the Colts won on Sunday would you then root for Denver to lose the following week so Colts could get the number one or would you still want to Denver to win?

So if the Pats lost and Denver won and the Colts won on Sunday would you then root for Denver to lose the following week so Colts could get the number one or would you still want to Denver to win?

You are not understanding my point. Denver just cannot afford to lose.

Only way Denver loses and gets no 1 seed is Pats losing several games. It is not really happening. Only game I think they can lose is at SD.

Whats really scaring me is that there are 10 Patriots who are questionable for this game against San Diego...

Questionable:  (Bolded are key contributors)

Edelman - Slot receiver, their best WR

Hightower - Best linebacker, (wears green dot, took over Mayo's role)

LaFell  - #1 outside WR

Jones - Their star pass rusher

Arrington - starting nickle DB

Connolly - Starting LG, most veteran Olineman

Vereen - 3rd down back, best back on team

Easley - Their 1st round draft pick interior DL

Aiken - long snapper  (Got a concussion from the cheap shot illegal hit from the Lions game... a blatant violation of a clear rule to protect long snappers.. just one of many that the Lions ignored that game with intent to injure and succeeded)

Fleming

Doubtful:

C. White

If all of those guys don't play, the chances of them winning in San Diego are SLIM

The Chargers secondary has to be protected with Rivers' ball and possession control, that is the best way the Chargers can win. Chargers beat Seahawks by holding the ball for about 42 minutes plus and still the Seahawks scored 21 pts on them. They will attempt to do the same but somehow I doubt they will pull it off.

I do expect the Patriots to win by less than a TD because the Chargers will give it all they have at home. Rivers does well against teams that do not blitz. When teams like the Steelers, Ravens, Jets have good blitzing LBs or safeties, that is when Rivers has had most of his issues. Cardinals, in game 1, forced the issue vs Rivers with lots and lots of blitzes. Seahawks, on the other hand, rushed four. Colts always used to rush four against Rivers, never worked against him. Rivers, even when Revis guarded Vincent Jackson when Revis was with the Jets, took shots at him, though he did not succeed, but he does not back down. Similarly, Patriots rush four too and might be wise to use some timely blitzes, IMO, to throw Rivers off.

This game will be about Brady and how well the offense can force the Chargers to go one-dimensional because you know Rivers will fight. Patriots have to score early and play somewhat ahead to control tempo in this game.

My prediction - Patriots 27 Chargers 23

Last time he wasn't the starter and Denver were throwing a lot playing catch up.

Did you see the last 2 games of Denver running ?.

Yea i saw them run the ball 2 games in a row against weak opponents, if they can tear Buffalo up on the ground without a substantial lead then ill give them a bit more credit

Yea i saw them run the ball 2 games in a row against weak opponents, if they can tear Buffalo up on the ground without a substantial lead then ill give them a bit more credit

Dude both were top defenses. Do you know the team names?. Your team got steamrolled to both of them.

The Chargers secondary has to be protected with Rivers' ball and possession control, that is the best way the Chargers can win. Chargers beat Seahawks by holding the ball for about 42 minutes plus and still the Seahawks scored 21 pts on them. They will attempt to do the same but somehow I doubt they will pull it off.

I do expect the Patriots to win by less than a TD because the Chargers will give it all they have at home. Rivers does well against teams that do not blitz. When teams like the Steelers, Ravens, Jets have good blitzing LBs or safeties, that is when Rivers has had most of his issues. Cardinals, in game 1, forced the issue vs Rivers with lots and lots of blitzes. Seahawks, on the other hand, rushed four. Colts always used to rush four against Rivers, never worked against him. Rivers, even when Revis guarded Vincent Jackson when Revis was with the Jets, took shots at him, though he did not succeed, but he does not back down. Similarly, Patriots rush four too and might be wise to use some timely blitzes, IMO, to throw Rivers off.

This game will be about Brady and how well the offense can force the Chargers to go one-dimensional because you know Rivers will fight. Patriots have to score early and play somewhat ahead to control tempo in this game.

My prediction - Patriots 27 Chargers 23

I'm going to correct your misperception - Rivers does VERY well against the blitz.  He is fearless.  He is incredibly fast at reading his progressions and will not hesitate to throw early when he sees the opportunity.  The big key is if his line doesn't fold on him.  Go look at his stats when getting the ball off against a rush.  He has probably the fastest release in the NFL and with his ability to check out of plays and call coverages he's only gotten better in this new offense.

Where he can falter is when there is no pocket to step up into, when his receivers don't even have time to run their routes or when his line protection breaks down and he's blindsided (like the interception at the beginning of the Ravens game).  Remember that we are on our 5th center and have had other line injuries this year as well.  There has not been a stable line all season and yet he's managed to put up the numbers and wins he has.  

As to the Cardinals game, there were massive numbers of drops by our receivers and mis-run routes, the ball was there, but the play wasn't made.  The entire team was off, the game was completely winnable but we didn't get in synch until game 2 against the Seahawks.

The key for us is to get pressure on Brady and our secondary be able to play tight, if not it could be a looong night.  

Dude both were top defenses. Do you know the team names?. Your team got steamrolled to both of them.

The Patriots spanked Denver...  they don't exactly strike fear into the hearts of the Patriots or their fans..

Sure, they're a good team that can obviously win on any Sunday, but I saw what they are, ive watched almost every game of theirs this year and I think the Patriots are a substantially better team from top to bottom, starting at the QB position.

Assuming all stays the same in the injury department, I think the Patriots could march into Mile High and punch them in the mouth again, repeatedly...

The Patriots spanked Denver...  they don't exactly strike fear into the hearts of the Patriots or their fans..

Sure, they're a good team that can obviously win on any Sunday, but I saw what they are, ive watched almost every game of theirs this year and I think the Patriots are a substantially better team from top to bottom, starting at the QB position.

Assuming all stays the same in the injury department, I think the Patriots could march into Mile High and punch them in the mouth again, repeatedly...

Ill quote myself for fun..

They didn't even have Chandler Jones lol...  their premiere pass rusher... i think next time these teams face each other, its going to be an even bigger beating and Manning will be lucky to come out of it without any serious injuries.

We're on to San Diego.

Didn't realize the Pats had three receivers that could hit 1,000 this season. That is pretty cool.

I like the Pats to cover. I just don't see SD challenging them on either side of the ball for 60 minutes.

Julian Edelman (77-742 yards)

Brandon Lafell (53-712 yards) and Gronkowski (65-910 yards)

with 4 games left....they all make it

But how do the pats match up with SD's receivers Keenan Allen, Malcolm Floyd and Antonio Gates..

that's the key to this day.....Rivers doesn't miss many and he gets the ball away too fast to get sacked most days

But how do the pats match up with SD's receivers Keenan Allen, Malcolm Floyd and Antonio Gates..

that's the key to this day.....Rivers doesn't miss many and he gets the ball away too fast to get sacked most days

I think Revis will most likely be on Keenan Allen with Browner on Floyd/Gates.  I think they'll move Revis around sometimes off Allen and roll McCourty over the top. 

The secondary of the Patriots is one of their biggest strengths (its been so long since i could say that) and the Chargers weapons are legit, but the Pats are fully capable of dealing with them.  The real question is what kind of pass rush will they be able to generate against Rivers to play into the secondary's strengths

Odds are one of the three is not two will miss out. If Gronkowski doesn't it would be kind of odd, but expect teams to play it a little safe down at the end of the season. I'd bet this game will be a good one because both teams have a lot riding on it. San Diego has a chance to make that division, or the conference for that matter even tighter than it already is. There is a log jam for the wild cards with a lot of 7-5 teams... and the top seeds are going to be crazy too should the Charges win.