Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

heres something interesting

CR91

if the pats lose to the chargers and steelers beat the bengals and we beat the browns, we would be the two seed. the next tiebreaker is conference record not head to head. we'd be 7-3 while the pats would be 6-3

I'm pretty sure the first tiebreaker is head to head... If we're 11-5 and the Pats are 11-5, they get a higher seed. No?

New England won't lose to San Diego so it's kind of a moot point.

I would guess you wouldn't put money on that statement. Could be wrong though. San Diego has a very good defense that allows only 20 points per game and a very good pass and run game with ryan mathews back and branden oliver breaking out. While the odds are that New England wins, Chargers have a decent chance of pulling off an upset as they will be fighting for a playoff spot in a loaded AFC. I hope I'm right and I'm not just talking them up, we'll see.

It is usually head-to-head.  However if a situation such as the Colts, Bengals, Patriots, and Broncos finished with the same record and the Bengals end up beating the Broncos, it would go to conference record.  Patriots would of beat the Colts and Bengals, Colts beat the Bengals, Bengals beat the Broncos, Broncos beat Colts.  Head-to-head wouldn't be possible to apply.

I would guess you wouldn't put money on that statement. Could be wrong though. San Diego has a very good defense that allows only 20 points per game and a very good pass and run game with ryan mathews back and branden oliver breaking out. While the odds are that New England wins, Chargers have a decent chance of pulling off an upset as they will be fighting for a playoff spot in a loaded AFC. I hope I'm right and I'm not just talking them up, we'll see.

I would put money on it. In fact, I'll even pick the Pats to double whatever the spread ends up being. Maybe even triple it.

it's head to head.

Pats would still have the two seed. Head to head is before conference record. The Chargers could help us out a lot though.

its head to head. Conference record comes in to play after that.

what you guys read was for the division not for the conference. read other tiebreaker producers

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

what you guys read was for the division not for the conference. read other tiebreaker producers

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Head-to-head is always first.

step three of other tie breaking procedures says to break a tie for seeding among division champions for sedding aply the wild card tie breakers and the very first one of those is head-to-head.

step three of other tie breaking procedures says to break a tie for seeding among division champions for sedding aply the wild card tie breakers and the very first one of those is head-to-head.

look at step two

if more than two teams are tied then head to head doesn't come into play

look at step two

Step two of what?

Point two of other tie breaking procedures just tells you how to use the better record against common opponents should you need it and step two of the wild card tie break wouldn't matter in this case because the Pats best the Colts head-to-head and won the first tie break.

Point three of the other tie breaking procedures is the one that tell you how they break head-to-head ties in conference seeding and that says go the wild card tie breaks which starts with head-to-head.

unless someone beat both the other teams but it's my understanding we are taking about a scenario of a head-to-head tie between the pats and Colts.

i think his initial scenario was is the pats, colts and broncos all ended up with the same record. Its pointless to speculate the other tie breakers now though. Lots of possible scenarios

Although after re reading his post i think you're right. He was talking just pats colts. In that case we have to have a better record

i think his initial scenario was is the pats, colts and broncos all ended up with the same record. Its pointless to speculate the other tie breakers now though. Lots of possible scenarios

if all three ended up tied New England wins because they beat both then they break the head-to-head tie with Denver and the Colts which Denver wins by beating the Colts.

Step two of what?

Point two of other tie breaking procedures just tells you how to use the better record against common opponents should you need it and step two of the wild card tie break wouldn't matter in this case because the Pats best the Colts head-to-head and won the first tie break.

Point three of the other tie breaking procedures is the one that tell you how they break head-to-head ties in conference seeding and that says go the wild card tie breaks which starts with head-to-head.

hmmm yea after re-reading it I think youre right. conference record comes into affect if you didnt face each other

if all three ended up tied New England wins because they beat both then they break the head-to-head tie with Denver and the Colts which Denver wins by beating the Colts.

Yup, if all three teams have the same record, it goes NE, Denver, Ind, because of head to heads. If we had a win against either team, especially NE, it would be different. In order for the Colts to get a top two seed, we have to finish with a better record than one of those two teams. That means they would have to drop 2 of 4, and we'd have to win out.

look at step two

Step two comes into play, but only after step one, and they are- 

1. Only one club advances to the playoffs in any tie-breaking step. Remaining tied clubs revert to the first step of the applicable division or Wild Card tie-breakers. As an example, if two clubs remain tied in any tie-breaker step after all other clubs have been eliminated, the procedure reverts to Step 1 of the two-club format to determine the winner. When one club wins the tiebreaker, all other clubs revert to Step 1 of the applicable two-club or three-club format.
  2. In comparing records against common opponents among tied teams, the best won-lost-tied percentage is the deciding factor, since teams may have played an unequal number of games.   But for home field advantage, step 3 below is the indicator-
  3. To determine home-field priority among division-titlists, apply Wild Card tie-breakers.

Step 1 of Wild Card tie-breaker:

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

If more than two have same record, then it's a little different. See below.

if more than two teams are tied then head to head doesn't come into play

Sort of. It comes into play if one team has swept the others.  And also if one team has lost to all the others.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.) (like 3 clubs tied, but one swept them all, then they are 1 and other two go to 2 club format again; which is also head to head if applicable)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
  2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

So if no head to head sweep with multiple division winner teams with same records, then it could well end up with W-L-T % deciding it.  But it's the case here at this time and also not top on the list.

if the pats lose to the chargers and steelers beat the bengals and we beat the browns, we would be the two seed. the next tiebreaker is conference record not head to head. we'd be 7-3 while the pats would be 6-3

We have four losses. Denver, Philly, New England and Pittsburgh.

New England still only has three losses.

And would still own the tie breaker over us..

hmmm yea after re-reading it I think youre right. conference record comes into affect if you didnt face each other

Yeah it can be confusing.  It took me a while when I first pulled it up to figure it out.  I just remember how tie breakers have worked in the past it's much easier than trying to figure out that web page. 

Don't want to be " that guy" but I told you so.

Hey man... be "that guy"...it's always good to get something right... you gotta take the gloat boat when you call it right...in the same turn gotta own up when you get it wrong too :)

Hat's off to you though you had it pegged fairly well.

I will admit I'm wrong and eat crow here, it was close for awhile and the Pats put the game away late. Just hope you really bet on the game! :)

The Pats just don't lose two in a row. They just don't.

Even throughout the first half I wasn't expecting them to lose. I knew they were going to get it on track and run away with it. It's just kinda the way of the world, tbh.