Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Georgia's Todd Gurley -- tears ACL....

Sucks for the kid.      Consensus top back in the draft at this point.

He's got another year if he wants to go back to Georgia...

Otherwise,  he comes out and takes his chances....

He's going to fall,  the question is.....    how far?      Bottom of the first?     Top of the 2nd?

Further than that?

Are you interested and with what pick?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11886943/todd-gurley-georgia-bulldogs-tears-acl-left-knee

Not at RB

A hypothetical as food for thought.....

Gurley is sitting there in the 60's when it's the Colts turn in the 2nd round.   (It won't happen, but play along...)

We take him.

Richardson has one more year on his contract,  and who knows how long Bradshaw can go before an another injury happens.

We take Gurley and let him re-hab for some, most, or all of 2015 depending on what he needs and what the Colts need.

Richardson's contract is up after next year....  we're then in the driver's seat to bring him back if we want,  or not.

Bradshaw's health will always be an issue.     He can share the load, but he can't be the primary guy.

Seems like BPA could bring the Colts a long-term answer to our RB position....

Again,   this will never happen,  but I think it has to at least be considered....

A hypothetical as food for thought.....

Gurley is sitting there in the 60's when it's the Colts turn in the 2nd round.   (It won't happen, but play along...)

We take him.

Richardson has one more year on his contract,  and who knows how long Bradshaw can go before an another injury happens.

We take Gurley and let him re-hab for some, most, or all of 2015 depending on what he needs and what the Colts need.

Richardson's contract is up after next year....  we're then in the driver's seat to bring him back if we want,  or not.

Bradshaw's health will always be an issue.     He can share the load, but he can't be the primary guy.

Seems like BPA could bring the Colts a long-term answer to our RB position....

Again,   this will never happen,  but I think it has to at least be considered....

If we take a rb that high then I'd rather just go with Gordon in the 1st  if he is still there instead of drafting a player who may or may not be 100% at a position where a player just don't last long in the NFL anyway......And again I do like Gurley

In other words....we would be paying a high price (2nd round pick in your case) for a player to sit a year when he likely only has maybe 5-6 years of possibly great production to give in the NFL given his position....I'd take Gordon who to this point (unless he also gets injured) wont be sitting a year unless some team that don't even need a rb drafts him and he just rots on the bench.

Again that's in your example, Not what I would do

If we take a rb that high then I'd rather just go with Gordon in the 1st  if he is still there instead of drafting a player who may or may not be 100% at a position where a player just don't last long in the NFL anyway......And again I do like Gurley

In other words....we would be paying a high price (2nd round pick in your case) for a player to sit a year when he likely only has maybe 5-6 years of possibly great production to give in the NFL given his position....I'd take Gordon who to this point (unless he also gets injured) wont be sitting a year unless some team that don't even need a rb drafts him and he just rots on the bench.

Again that's in your example, Not what I would do

Fair enough.....

I was going to ask you.....   is it the position?     or the player?

And I was going to ask what you would do if Gordon was there in the 1st?     He won't be,  but it's our hypothetical, we can do what we want!        :thmup:

To my eyes,  Gordon looks like Jamaal Charles.   And yes,  that's a compliment.

The big difference would be this.....    Charles was taken in the 3rd round.    Gordon will be a 1st rounder.     Big difference.

Charles is a steal.    Gordon will be a full-price purchase.  

Agree with Defjam with Gurley in the 3rd in that situation. There is no circumstance in which we should be taking an rb in the 1st. Unless you know he's going to be the next AP (which is impossible to know) then there is no reason to repeat a mistake and do it again, that is Insanity. Take a rb in the 3rd or 4th at highest. Gurley is worth it in the 3rd, but that's a long-shot scenario.

I was watching as it happened. It didn't look good. His dad looked distraught.

I thought it was more of a non-contact injury? It looked like he just went down and favored that left knee. Nothing gruesome about it.

I wonder if he will play next season at some point? He could be an Adrian Peterson.

I do not want to take a RB early. There are too many good running backs who were drafted late or are undrafted in the league to spend an early pick on a RB.

We clearly need DEFENSE! Perhaps with every pick.

I thought it was more of a non-contact injury? It looked like he just went down and favored that left knee. Nothing gruesome about it.

I wonder if he will play next season at some point? He could be an Adrian Peterson.

I do not want to take a RB early. There are too many good running backs who were drafted late or are undrafted in the league to spend an early pick on a RB.

We clearly need DEFENSE! Perhaps with every pick.

I never said it was gruesome. The way his leg twisted didn't look good.

Or you could pick up another Willis McGahee or Frank Gore....  Adrian Peterson, Stephen Jax, ...   I could go on and on..   Edgerin James.....  !!

Knee injuries happen all the time and nearly every one comes back from the type Gurley had.     Lattimore's was very BAD.

Gurley is a talent and if he is there in the second or third someone will be getting a steal.

Yeh I know, Lattmore tore his MCL and PCL if I am correct. If you look at the literature, you will see that athletes are several times more likely to reinjure their ACL after a reconstruction.

Fair enough.....

I was going to ask you.....   is it the position?     or the player?

And I was going to ask what you would do if Gordon was there in the 1st?     He won't be,  but it's our hypothetical, we can do what we want!        :thmup:

To my eyes,  Gordon looks like Jamaal Charles.   And yes,  that's a compliment.

The big difference would be this.....    Charles was taken in the 3rd round.    Gordon will be a 1st rounder.     Big difference.

Charles is a steal.    Gordon will be a full-price purchase.  

I know you weren't asking me, but IMO, it's the position. Given our team and the availability of capable backs in later rounds, I wouldn't be looking at a RB until the 3rd, at best. 

Or you could pick up another Willis McGahee or Frank Gore....  Adrian Peterson, Stephen Jax, ...   I could go on and on..   Edgerin James.....  !!

Knee injuries happen all the time and nearly every one comes back from the type Gurley had.     Lattimore's was very BAD.

Gurley is a talent and if he is there in the second or third someone will be getting a steal.

But you can't count on that kind of stuff. I'd rather take a less talented - though still very talented - back that doesn't have the injury concerns.

Gurley will come out this year, due to the insurance Georgia bought for him. It covers him this year if injury significantly hurts his draft status. Basically if he falls out of first round, insurance will make up difference in money between contracts to wherever he falls. Georgia did him a solid upping his insurance to 10M in case of injury, so he will be coming out. Lot of opinion about where he goes. Gordon goes first, but Gurley will be late 1st or early 2nd I believe.

I still don't want a RB until later. So many good backs, and with the position devalued, we can get a good one late.

I hope we land Tevin Coleman kid is going to be a superstar . He runs through good D's with stacked boxes every week most other top backs have similar ypc to there backups because there lines are opening up holes you could drive a mack truck through .