Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Biggest Decision In Indy Colts Franchise History?

WoolMagnet

This offseason, and leading up to the draft, some BIG decisions must be made by this organization.

Can Manning recover and are the Colts confident he will? Will the Colts pay the $? This is the BIG one. A decision that could make or break in not only wins and losses, but in how this organization is perceived.

If they have the 1st pick, will they take Luck? Will they bank on Manning and trade it? Just CRAZY to think about.

This is bigger than the original draft pick for manning I think.

And will Wayne, mathis be re-signed? What about Addai or Brown?

Will the Colts continue "waiting" on Gonzo?

Who will be the next DC? Are we gonna go away from the cover-2? Will Calwell stay or go?

This could be a VERY different team next year. Think about it.

Things have changed SO much in the last year.

I hope Polian has a crystal ball.

POLIAN ON GONZO

The Polian Corner will run in two installments each week. Below is this week’s second installment:

Q: Why is it that

Anthony Gonzalez is not playing?

A: It seems like Anthony’s (Gonzalez) come up with some sort of a nagging injury pretty much every week. We get real close, we get him out there, he practices, he looks like the Anthony of old and then, ‘Bingo,’ something seems to go wrong.

My understanding is that he is having a test of some kind tonight or tomorrow to determine if he’s got a muscle injury, which is kind of a new thing.

But bottom line is, he’s come up with a bit of a nagger every week where we’re not sure we can count on him. We have so many injuries that we dress 53 healthy guys, and that’s what it boils down to. (We had) 52 (Sunday), or I should say we dressed 46, had 52 on the roster. We haven’t been able to count on him.

Hopefully, he will come out of this test okay and be ready to go, and we would like nothing better than to get him back on the field. We need all the play-makers we can.

You missed a few:

1.) After we go 0-16, when will Indy fire Caldwell?

2.) Who will Caldwell be replaced by?

3.) Which team will Caldwell go to? (hint: Wake Forest sounds nice this time of year!)

4.) Will Caldwell buy Polian a crystal ball as a farewell gift? (Aww, how sweet...)

This offseason, and leading up to the draft, some BIG decisions must be made by this organization.

Can Manning recover and are the Colts confident he will? Will the Colts pay the $? This is the BIG one. A decision that could make or break in not only wins and losses, but in how this organization is perceived.

If they have the 1st pick, will they take Luck? Will they bank on Manning and trade it? Just CRAZY to think about.

Who will be the next DC? Are we gonna go away from the cover-2? Will Calwell stay or go?

No matter what happens with the Luck/Manning issue, this will be a remarkably different team in 2012. It is very likely that many players who gave this franchise their identity in the last decade will be out of the league or playing for someone else next year. I was at the Falcons game and the players the Colts sent out for the coin toss told me a big story about the franchise. If I remember correctly, the captains were Vinatieri, Freeney, Saturday & maybe Mathis. Think about that - all players north of 30 years old and frankly ancient by NFL standards. The Colts have a very pressing need to get younger. Below is a list of guys who may not be back next year.

Saturday - FA and old

Mathis - FA and likely to be expensive

Wayne - FA, old and likely to be expensive

Clark - coming off two injury-riddled seasons and he is getting old

Brackett - old, coming off a season ending injury and his replacement is on the roster

Diem - old, just changed positions and not as effective as he used to be.

Addai - the guy who was drafted to replace him has been solid of late

Bullitt - appears to have chronic shoulder issues

AV - is old

^ That's one more reason we need a talented head coach. In the coming year or two, we will bring in a wealth of new talent and we need a brilliant mind to get the most out of their performance while giving them the confidence to succeed at the next level. All the players listed above Caldwell inherited, and he has yet to take any new player and make him shine. Hughes is still a question mark, Gonzalez is always injured, Donald Brown disappears more often than not, and Costanzo still needs more time. If Caldwell can't develop them, what makes us think he will develop a new kicker, SS, TE, WR, DE, C, etc.?

I am going to answer these in order as if I were the President or Owner of the team.

1. Can Manning Recover and are WE confident he will? Cant really make a decision on His abilities until we see him in practice or even on the field, whether that be this year or early next year.

2.Will we take luck or bank on manning and trade it. No, we wont bank on manning and trade the first pick, however there isnt enough evidence to prove Luck is our guy.

3.Will wayne and Mathis be re-signed...Addai or Brown too? Wayne probably not, Mathis probably...Addai yes we will keep him, Brown...He has been somewhat promising this year, but Will we keep him over Carter or Carter over Brown, thats the question I am uncertain of right now.

4. Will we wait on Gonzo? No, No I dont think so...We waited on sanders for too long...and Gonzo's situation is about the same...Great player when on the field but Getting to the field seems to be an issue...I say we drop Gonzo this year Along with wayne and Pick up a 2 wr whether it be through FA or the Draft, I think we should take 1 from the Draft and pick up a nice addition through FA in the WR department.

5. Who will be our next DC? IMO I think we should take Jack Del Rio as a DC...The guy played Lb for 11 yrs, then was a Lb coach for Baltimore and also was the DC of the Panthers in 2001, He lead that Defense to be the Second best that season. Or Jeff Fisher as DC, He also has a successful resume when it comes to being a DC.

5. Who will be our next DC? IMO I think we should take Jack Del Rio as a DC...The guy played Lb for 11 yrs, then was a Lb coach for Baltimore and also was the DC of the Panthers in 2001, He lead that Defense to be the Second best that season. Or Jeff Fisher as DC, He also has a successful resume when it comes to being a DC.

Jack Del Rio DC and Jeff Fisher new HC. That would be awesome and funny at the same time. Two former HC of our division, now coaching for us.

Jack Del Rio DC and Jeff Fisher new HC. That would be awesome and funny at the same time. Two former HC of our division, now coaching for us.

haha, yeah that would be something else...We have 3/4 of the AFC south on our team...1/4 Us being the Colts, 1/2 being the Coaches we have taken from 2 out of the four teams...lol..We would have to be the best thing in the AFC south if this ever happened.

I5. Who will be our next DC? IMO I think we should take Jack Del Rio as a DC...The guy played Lb for 11 yrs, then was a Lb coach for Baltimore and also was the DC of the Panthers in 2001, He lead that Defense to be the Second best that season. Or Jeff Fisher as DC, He also has a successful resume when it comes to being a DC.

Fisher should be coming in as our head coach next year. He's not coming back for a DC job. Through out the years in tennesse, those teams were always very well coached and always over achieved.

Wool..I really think you are 1/2 right

This COULD be a different team but it wont be.

There is a strong belief that if you add manning to the present offense with this years 2 rookie linemen that they will go back to being the 25-30 point per game force they were...I believe that

Jim Caldwell wont be fired....I think we all know that.

If he was..they'd have tossed him when Coyer got ashcanned...

..Defensively...if we use our top picks on that platoon for a change..

..we will look different and will have a more gambling, blitzing risk-taking philosophy...

RE: DC ... earlier this year, BP was publicly singing the praises of the Colt's LB coach, showering compliment about him being a GREAT LB coach. Now he is the interim DC. If the Colts defense does really well for the rest of the season, I could see the move being permanent.

You missed a few:

3.) Which team will Caldwell go to? (hint: Wake Forest sounds nice this time of year!)

4.) Will Caldwell buy Polian a crystal ball as a farewell gift? (Aww, how sweet...)

1. yes

2. Jeff Fisher

3. Penn State

4. possibly; but Polian hands it back and says "It looks like the shape of a ZERO, I think you are more familiar with this number and should in fact keep it"

You missed a few:

I think Irsay has decided to fire Caldwell, but it will happen in the off season in a decent way. There will be a short announcement, that Colts and Caldwell split.

My real problem is, that I don't know who could be next HC.

Adai and Brown should be kept maybe Mathis too,

The most hardest decision will be how to sign new players.