Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos' weaknesses are shaky special teams and that includes their kicker

chad72

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post Chad.

I guess the more general gist of what I was saying is that you've got to finish strong. That's not to say that a strong start doesn't help. I've seen the stats of teams' odds to make the playoffs based on their first-half records and yes, of course you've got to win some games.

You want to be playing your best football at the most important time of year. Wins and losses aside.

Don't forget health.

They have weaknesses. The RT is still a question mark. LB even though they played ok last night but in coverage against elite te's like Gronk etc is a liability and yes special teams will probably cost them a game at some point...seems they always do. Denver typically beats themselves with turnovers like fumbles etc more than they get outplayed (SB excluded althought the turnovers didn't help there either but those were more forced turnovers than unforced errors imo)>

LOL indeed at you :).

Many of us call it like we see it and a lot of us here agree that the Colts, with their kicking in Vinatieri, punting in McAfee and coverage teams have an edge in special teams. So, if there is a legit Bronco weakness that could be magnified in close games, it is special teams. 

weakness ? he just missed a field goal. You are really reaching with the weakness stuff. Every kicker in the league can make 60 yards blindfolded.

the Colts special teams will mean diddly come playoff time. 

you are just looking for silly details to have football talky-talk about. Denver wont lose any games that matter most because of their kicker. Calling it a strength for the Colts is meaningless.

If the Colts or Patriots can make it a close game where kicking a few FGs matter, they can beat the Broncos because of their shaky special teams and kicker, IMO. Caldwell almost fumbled a kick return and their kicker misses a FG which thankfully did not turn out to be key.

That kicker, Brandon McManus, not sure what John Fox saw in him, he is bound to miss a few when it matters, at least I walked away with that impression. If you make him matter, he will falter, I feel.

Thoughts???

Its true...They have a great punter bit the Placekicker is unproven and that could affect them in big games to come.

Eventually Emmanuel sanders will run back punts in key games.\In Denver, most everything is a touchback anyway/

Denver's biggest weakness is right tackle but every team in the AFC has weaknesses..

Denver's 'weakness' may be the schedule

at NE, at Cincy, at SD .....still to come

Same can be said about New England too, OUM.

at Indy after their bye week (after our bye week too), at Packers and at San Diego later back-to-back is not a cakewalk either for the Pats

Denver's 'weakness' may be the schedule

at NE, at Cincy, at SD .....still to come

Colts

SEA at SEA (Close, but no cigar)

Chiefs

Cardinals

49ers

Chargers

I'd say they've already gone through the meat of their schedule. Pats/Chargers/Chiefs should be the only teams that may give them a run for their money, though anything can happen.

I've been lurking this forum for a while now and I must say I love the post from you guys and decided to make an account . I' m a Broncos fan and agree 100% that special teams is a weakness . I've had a thought in the back of my mind the day I learned Prater would be released that I hope it wouldn't come back to haunt Denver in a big game . Another thing I want to say is that the COLTS scare the living crap out of me . I've been watching them the past two weeks and I must say that defense is really good and Vontae Davis is balling . As a Broncos fan I want no part of Indianpolis in the post season in Lucas Oil Stadium .

Colts

SEA at SEA (Close, but no cigar)

Chiefs

Cardinals

49ers

Chargers

I'd say they've already gone through the meat of their schedule. Pats/Chargers/Chiefs should be the only teams that may give them a run for their money, though anything can happen.

They've played 2 road games, they are 1-1 on the road. They lost to the Seahawks and didn't exactly dismantle the terrible Jets. They still have some tough games ahead of them.

All of Denver's difficult games have been at home with the exception of Seattle and they lost that one. Yeah very tough indeed.

So far lets put them side to side

Colts                                       Broncos

Broncos                                   Colts

Eagles                                     Chiefs

Jaguars                                   Seahawks

Titans                                      Cardinals

Ravens                                   Jets

Texans                                    49ers

Bengals                                  Chargers

I go by the teams played not where they are played. JMO

In fairness, I think SEA at SEA needs its own category. Kinda like playing us in the RCA dome. I miss it.

I've been lurking this forum for a while now and I must say I love the post from you guys and decided to make an account . I' m a Broncos fan and agree 100% that special teams is a weakness . I've had a thought in the back of my mind the day I learned Prater would be released that I hope it wouldn't come back to haunt Denver in a big game . Another thing I want to say is that the COLTS scare the living crap out of me . I've been watching them the past two weeks and I must say that defense is really good and Vontae Davis is balling . As a Broncos fan I want no part of Indianpolis in the post season in Lucas Oil Stadium .

Welcome to the forum!!! Thanks for acknowledging the "monster" on defense that Pagano is still building. At Lucas Oil Stadium, the Colts' D play like tenacious lions, I feel. They are probably the best balanced threat to the Broncos in the AFC unless they have an off day in the playoffs, which can happen to any team, I guess while facing other elite teams.

The Ravens still bother me a bit because they play that AFC North style of D as well and have not given up more than 23 pts in a game throughout this season but their O is not as consistent as the Broncos, so that might help the Colts neutralize the Ravens.

The only difference is that the Colts Schedule has been easier than the Broncos schedule. ;)

Actually it hasn't. The Colts have played teams with a combined 25 wins, the Broncos 26 wins. On paper prior to the season it was looking like the Broncos had a tougher schedule given they play the NFC West but right now the two best teams in the NFC are Dallas and Philly in the East. We will see where things shake out in the end but the Colts may end up with a tougher scheduled based on opponents win percentage.

Denver now seems to be developing a running game,   Defense has been great, and then there's Peyton.

Seems a dangerous combination for any competition.   

I agree with that 100%.  Ronnie Hillman running out of the shotgun has been lethal the past two weeks. The offense was a little shaky those first three or four weeks, but they look absolutely solid now. Manning, Thomas and Sanders are playing on another level right now. And what do ya know, that defense doesn't look like they are playing a soft prevent package 100% of the game anymore.

That is a myth, GoPats.

Here is a synopsis of the proof that disputes popular pundit talk that lures us fans into such thinking.

2005 Steelers - Start 7-2, go 7-5, finish the season 11-5

2006 Colts - Start 9-0, then go 3-4 to finish 12-4

2007 Giants - Start 6-2, then go into a slump to finish 10-6

2008 Steelers - Started strong, stayed strong to finish 12-4

2009 Saints - Started 13-0, went 0-3 to finish 13-3

2010 Packers - Started 7-3, then went 3-3 to finish 10-6

2011 Giants - Started 6-2 again, then go to 6-6, rebound to go 9-7

2012 Ravens - Started 9-2 but go 1-4 to finish at 10-6

2013 Seahawks - Started 11-1 but go 2-2 to finish 13-3

These are all SB champs. The common theme, they start fast to build some equity to survive latter season bumps and bruises. Then, they regain health (like Ray Lewis and others for Ravens, Sanders for Colts, Avril and Harvin for Seahawks etc.) and remind everyone why they were good to begin with. So, that momentum thing, the numbers do not support it.

So, every SB winner has won at least 6 out of their first 8 games back as far as 2005. I have not seen a team go 4-4 or 5-3 and then turn it up to go 10-6 and win the SB back as far as 2005 (I am sure the 2003 and 2004 Patriots would fit that pattern too if I looked back even further). With teams fighting for so many playoff spots in December, it is more likely that bumps and bruises happen in December than teams rolling through December.

I agree with your premise that media 'cliche' sways gullible fans

..but you did take a very small smaple here and you included 13-0, 6-2 and 'started strong' as the same general thing...

We are at our weakest logically when we try to jump together years which have no connection in reality (like all of them) to prove a

certain point. Every team is different. Every champion is different and there are no common traits that are anything more than coincidence.

The 2012 Colts are totally different from the 2013 Colts who are totally different from the 2014 Colts

Different players..different coaches,..different times in their careers...

Any similarities you draw are coincidence. When you think about it, they have to be.

Every year is a different place in time

Listen to Susie

I would never argue that playing Arizona in Denver is easier than playing at Jacksonville

Or that playing San Diego in Denver is easier than playing at Tennessee

Or that playing the 49ers in Denver was somehow easier than playing at Houston.

..we all know the Colts play in a soft division. No shame.

I agree with your premise that media 'cliche' sways gullible fans

..but you did take a very small smaple here and you included 13-0, 6-2 and 'started strong' as the same general thing...

We are at our weakest logically when we try to jump together years which have no connection in reality (like all of them) to prove a

certain point. Every team is different. Every champion is different and there are no common traits that are anything more than coincidence.

The 2012 Colts are totally different from the 2013 Colts who are totally different from the 2014 Colts

Different players..different coaches,..different times in their careers...

Any similarities you draw are coincidence. When you think about it, they have to be.

Every year is a different place in time

The sample is the same if you go back to 2002, OUM. 2002 Bucs, 2003 Patriots, 2004 Patriots all had the equity of wins and 2002 is when divisions were started, so that is as far as I can go with the way divisions are structured now. The 13-0 and 6-2 are clumped together to disprove that getting hot just in December is a myth and momentum is everything, nothing more, nothing less.

The "momentum" talk specifically started with the pundits maybe in one year when the first wild card team, the 2005 Steelers won it all. Now, everyone is running with it. Most importantly, even if you lose a game or two here and there in December, if you are healthy and playing good football, you have a chance. That is the extent of what I was trying to say. Outside 2 wild card winners in 2005 & 2010, every other team has won its division (back to 2002) to stand a chance to host a home game and win the SB.

The sample is the same if you go back to 2002, OUM. 2002 Bucs, 2003 Patriots, 2004 Patriots all had the equity of wins and 2002 is when divisions were started, so that is as far as I can go with the way divisions are structured now. The 13-0 and 6-2 are clumped together to disprove that getting hot just in December is a myth and momentum is everything, nothing more, nothing less.

The "momentum" talk specifically started with the pundits maybe in one year when the first wild card team, the 2005 Steelers won it all. Now, everyone is running with it. Most importantly, even if you lose a game or two here and there in December, if you are healthy and playing good football, you have a chance. That is the extent of what I was trying to say. Outside 2 wild card winners in 2005 & 2010, every other team has won its division (back to 2002) to stand a chance to host a home game and win the SB.

I would agree with that.

We seem to want to deal in short attention spans...

IO always like to point out how quickly it changes..

..after 3 games.. Denver was struggling...now they're 'super hot'.....and the story line changes next Sunday at NE..

You can take either the hot last 4 games or the cold 1st 3 and extend them to fit whatever theory you have.

I keep hearing on the NFL Network and ESPN that Super Bowl winners and runner ups don't do very well the next year, which is a theory

manufactured from natural odds...More teams do poorly than do very well..

...I think this is what you get with so much TV coverage (2 cable network devoted to the NFL) and an emphasis on 'story lines' as opposed to the sport itself.