Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF ranks Colts OL 9th in league

HtownColt

9. Indianapolis Colts (25th)

PB: 3rd, RB: 16th, PEN: 27th

Stud: When you’ve been asked to pass protect as much as Anthony Castonzo and responded with just eight quarterback disruptions allowed, that’s impressive. Stepped up his game this year.

Dud: There are worse right tackles in the league than Gosder Cherilus and his performance is perfectly acceptable in the grand scheme of things, but has he justified the big contract he got? Is he good enough in the run game and solid enough in pass protection?

Summary: Big improvements here. The team is getting better play at center (even after bizarrely benching A.Q. Shipley) and reaping the benefits of Hugh Thornton learning from his rookie experience. The upshot is a more productive run game and a more protected Andrew Luck.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/10/08/offensive-line-rankings-2/3/

I don't take PFFs analysis as a 100% gospel but I still like seeing their numbers for O-lines and I think they do a respectable job ranking them. We all know last year we sucked up front but the O-line has improved a lot this year. Castonzo has taken another step forward, Mewhort was doing great for a rookie (hope he comes back soon), better play at center (I'm waiting for Holmes to step in and improve us even further), Thornton is starting to trend upward, Cherilus is still doing ok. Getting this group some time to gel together should help, but I think Cherlius may not be with us to the end of his contract so we've definitely gotta get a good replacement if that's the case.

Cherilus might be individually more expensive than his play deserves, but if the O-line continues to improve or even stay static, then it may be foolish to disturb the collective cohesion they have as a unit to shave of a few million bucks a year. The sum of the parts and all that. And with no guarantees we would spend any savings on better players, I'd not sweat the contract size too much at this stage.

Cherilus might be individually more expensive than his play deserves, but if the O-line continues to improve or even stay static, then it may be foolish to disturb the collective cohesion they have as a unit to shave of a few million bucks a year. The sum of the parts and all that. And with no guarantees we would spend any savings on better players, I'd not sweat the contract size too much at this stage.

I'd ask him to restructure to free room for Luck, TY, and co.

Good point sir. Digressing a little, did you really 'put baby in the corner'?

lmao

Cherilus situation is so weird.

Last year, he was amazing. I'd say he was definitely worth the contract last year.

This year... he's just not the same person. Not playing great nor terrible. Just mediocre.

Don't know why he's slumped...

I wouldn't say he was amazing, I don't even think he's played much worse this year.

I agree with you but I think this FO has shown that they don't put a lot of stock in continuity along the line.

yeah Cherilus is not worth his cap hit next year of 6.9 mill, He is a RT that's bad at run blocking, Solid pass blocker overall but still not worth it

First of all it would cost money to cut him next year.  He has 8.7 million in dead money on the contract.  

Secondly I agree with Jvan, who are you going to get that's better and cheaper and that you know is ready to play from day 1??  

We arn't in cap trouble.  So is he overpaid?  Maybe.  But does it make sense to get rid of him at this point?  No

Let's also consider this.  Cheilus in his entire NFL career has never missed more then 4 games in a season and that only happened once (2010).  And he hasn't missed a game since 2010, not 1.  

So given that availability is just as important if not more important then ability.  Perhaps Cherilus IS in fact worth his contract.  He's a solid starting RT that NEVER comes out of the game.  That bit about never getting injured is pretty darn important.

Cherilus situation is so weird.

Last year, he was amazing. I'd say he was definitely worth the contract last year.

This year... he's just not the same person. Not playing great nor terrible. Just mediocre.

Don't know why he's slumped... 

Cherilus got a lot of help in pass protection last year and still gave up a Lot of hits and hurries and is clearly playing worse this season.

A healthy Nixon could be an improvement give a chance.

Other than a Nice jump in Quality pulls Thornton continues to struggle in pass protection and gets little to no push in run blocking.

It is great to see him get some pine time.