Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Montee Ball out indefinetly

oldunclemark

Strained groin..which is actually a partial tear..

Out what they say is 'several weeks'

...Ronnie Hillman takes over with a rookie named Juwann Thompson and 2nd year player CJ Anderson...

...To be honest //Denver losing running backs is like Eskimos losing ice trays..

..but watch Thompson...he looked very good in the pre-season.

Odd that Ball and Knowshon Moreno..the guy they let go...are BOTH in the garage

Branden Oliver's play was no fluke - he's showed that spark since he stepped foot on the playing fields.  I don't play Fantasy but if I did I would have picked him up this week.  I heard he gained over 30 points for FF.  *DISCLAIMER*  He plays for the Chargers so there's no guarantee how long he'll hold together :-(

sw..I thought he gained some weight/muscle this year and it slowed him,

You could be right OUC. I just figured that Terrell Davis would have shown his some secrets about hitting the crease that would have catapulted his career by now. 

I wouldn't wish a groin pull on anybody. Any movement would set that injury off meaning that there is no position he can get into without experiencing discomfort. 

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26674157/broncos-montee-ball-expected-miss-two-weeks-groin

Strained groin..which is actually a partial tear..

Out what they say is 'several weeks'

...Ronnie Hillman takes over with a rookie named Juwann Thompson and 2nd year player CJ Anderson...

...To be honest //Denver losing running backs is like Eskimos losing ice trays..

..but watch Thompson...he looked very good in the pre-season.

Odd that Ball and Knowshon Moreno..the guy they let go...are BOTH in the garage

They should have never let Moreno go. This will haunt them come playoff time when they are a one dimensional offense.

They should have never let Moreno go. This will haunt them come playoff time when they are a one dimensional offense.

Actually, this might help the Broncos circumvent the mistake that Elway and Fox refuse to accept, the mistake that was drafting Montee Ball with Eddie Lacy on the board.

If recent history is any indication, Addai was in an RBC at LSU, so his mileage when he was drafted was low as an RB, they used him wisely in year 1 splitting time with Rhodes and both RBs were uber effective through the regular season and the playoffs. Then, when they used him as a bell cow RB, injuries started happening. Those days of bell cow RBs are gone and the Adrian Peterson kinds are few and far between. Kids see what the NFL is becoming and fewer will be playing the RB position, IMO.

Then, you had LeVeon Bell and Giovani Bernard who I don't think had as much mileage on them like Montee Ball did at Wisconsin. Ball was more a product of the Wisconsin OL, I feel. Then, you had Eddie Lacy behind Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson at Alabama, and did not become the bell cow till 2012. That is why I don't have high expectations for Montee Ball and that is also the reason I feel LeVeon Bell and Bernard are doing better, due to lesser mileage on them in college, and so is Lacy because he was in an RBC for the longest time.

Actually, this might help the Broncos circumvent the mistake that Elway and Fox refuse to accept, the mistake that was drafting Montee Ball with Eddie Lacy on the board.

If recent history is any indication, Addai was in an RBC at LSU, so his mileage when he was drafted was low as an RB, they used him wisely in year 1 splitting time with Rhodes and both RBs were uber effective through the regular season and the playoffs. Then, when they used him as a bell cow RB, injuries started happening. Those days of bell cow RBs are gone and the Adrian Peterson kinds are few and far between. Kids see what the NFL is becoming and fewer will be playing the RB position, IMO.

Then, you had LeVeon Bell and Giovani Bernard who I don't think had as much mileage on them like Montee Ball did at Wisconsin. Ball was more a product of the Wisconsin OL, I feel. Then, you had Eddie Lacy behind Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson at Alabama, and did not become the bell cow till 2012. That is why I don't have high expectations for Montee Ball and that is also the reason I feel LeVeon Bell and Bernard are doing better, due to lesser mileage on them in college, and so is Lacy because he was in an RBC for the longest time.

I get what you saying and don't necessarily disagree but at the end of the day Lacy is just a better player than all of them and so far durable as well.

Exactly Chad. When John Fox & John Elway took Ball over Lacy, I raised an eye brow over that one. Ball is okay not exceptional & I was surprised when Denver pulled the trigger on Montee. Lacey had better feel for cuts & open creases than Ball ever did. I'm not done with Ball yet, but the leash of approval is getting shorter. I can't lie. 

I know AMF. He was durable, picked up nice chunks of yards, & Peyton trusted him in blitz pickup. Why release him? Very strange if you ask me. You cut players who suck not guys that produce consistently. 

Ball is terrible. Sure the run blocking is equally bad but my god he averages, what, 1ypc or something?

but alas, he was just terribad. 

As much as it kills me to admit this, Montee Ball looks like a bust. Move him to 3rd string behind Hillman & Anderson. Ball isn't getting it done & he's not making strides at the pro level. Cut him. I don't see a Reggie Bush reclamation success story here. Peyton doesn't have time to waste. Bye Ball. 

Yeah...he's going to be out quite a while and he may not be right again this season...

,.,.for ma running back...that's just a disaster...

3 weeks? I don't think so....

Exactly, groin regions are very delicate in scope & whatever recovery projections a person is given triple the timeframe at a bare minimum. Every guy cringes at the headline "groin injury" too. Ouch man. 

I know AMF. He was durable, picked up nice chunks of yards, & Peyton trusted him in blitz pickup. Why release him? Very strange if you ask me. You cut players who suck not guys that produce consistently. 

They had Moreno for a few years to know his injury history and given how RB is not a premium position and the fact that they would have to re-sign DT and JT and sign those defensive players in Ware, Talib and Ward, it was a case of managing the cap for the current and the future, IMO. Elway had to give up a few offensive players in Moreno, Beadles, and Decker plus other guys like Wesley Woodyard, Shaun Philips, Champ Bailey etc. in order to gain some room for the other defensive acquisitions. You can't keep them all.

They had Moreno for a few years to know his injury history and given how RB is not a premium position and the fact that they would have to re-sign DT and JT and sign those defensive players in Ware, Talib and Ward, it was a case of managing the cap for the current and the future, IMO. Elway had to give up a few offensive players in Moreno, Beadles, and Decker plus other guys like Wesley Woodyard, Shaun Philips, Champ Bailey etc. in order to gain some room for the other defensive acquisitions. You can't keep them all.

I will admit that Elway probably had to release Moreno to make room for new defensive pieces, Decker is no loss & neither is Bailey. Ball has shown you nothing to indicate that he can carry the load as the guy. That's the whole problem Chad. I'm not angry at you just the fool who claimed that Ball was the work horse in Denver. 

I like Ball's work ethic, but it's the difference between passion & talent. Ball's passion to succeed is off the charts, but his talent/production on the field positively sucks. There's no way to sugarcoat it. It is what it is. 

Moreno is out, and probably won't stay on the field long when he comes back. It was smart not to pay him.

Like Chad said, the real mistake was drafting an old man, in RB terms, over Lacy.

Moreno is out, and probably won't stay on the field long when he comes back. It was smart not to pay him.

Like Chad said, the real mistake was drafting an old man, in RB terms, over Lacy.

He may not have gotten injured playing for Denver vs the lousy Fins. He was a great back last year. He would not have cost that much to keep him.

I agree about not getting Lacy but wasn't the scouting reports kind of mixed on him?

He may not have gotten injured playing for Denver vs the lousy Fins. He was a great back last year. He would not have cost that much to keep him.

I agree about not getting Lacy but wasn't the scouting reports kind of mixed on him?

Yeah, the scouting reports were mixed which is why he dropped to late round 2. He was a bargain in that round, so they weren't investing first round money in him whatsoever.

So, if they wanted that physical back to go with Ronnie Hillman that they drafted the previous year as a scat back in round 3, they could have had him easily with lesser monetary risk.

Same with the Brock Osweiler pick over Doug Martin the previous year, another physical workhorse back they could have had. I could however understand that one, with Peyton's health risks coming in to his first year with the Broncos. But the Ball over Lacy pick, I could not understand.

I think I will and I'll put a secondary claim on that Oliver kid from SD, he looked great

I would rather have Oliver than Hillman. Hillman will be the man but will split the load and will lose goal line carries. I think Thompson and Anderson will see alot of action as well (Thompson will see more goal line and scoring opportunities). Hillman also has fumbling issues.

Oliver looks to be a stronger more powerful Sproles. He has looked much better than Brown the last couple weeks and when Brown went out Sunday and Oliver got his opportunity he went off.

SD just picked back up Ronnie Brown but Oliver is the man and will see ALOT of action (18-22 CAG) and will be a huge asset in the passing game as long as he stays healthy that is. I'll say top 8 back in fantasy in the next two weeks.

Also has a great matchup against Oak this week.

I would rather have Oliver than Hillman. Hillman will be the man but will split the load and will lose goal line carries. I think Thompson and Anderson will see alot of action as well (Thompson will see more goal line and scoring opportunities). Hillman also has fumbling issues.

Oliver looks to be a stronger more powerful Sproles. He has looked much better than Brown the last couple weeks and when Brown went out Sunday and Oliver got his opportunity he went off.

SD just picked back up Ronnie Brown but Oliver is the man and will see ALOT of action (18-22 CAG) and will be a huge asset in the passing game as long as he stays healthy that is. I'll say top 8 back in fantasy in the next two weeks.

Also has a great matchup against Oak this week.

Yeah, I am going against him in the Colts elite league, hopefully he doesn't do too much damage and the Raiders don't suck that bad that they force Rivers to throw more to the others :).