Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The onside kick yesterday

zibby43

I saw this topic being discussed a bit in the Pat McAfee thread.

This is not something that Pat did on his own.  It wasn't a last-second audible either. 

When onside kicks come early in games like this, it is because during the week of preparation prior to the game, the Colts coaching staff noticed a trend on film where the Jaguars KR front line bail early (to get a head start on setting up the return blocking) without even watching the kick.

If you re-watch the play, you'll notice that before Pat puts his foot into the ball, the Jaguars on the recovery side have already turned their backs on the play.

Anyway, I saw some conspiracy theories as to why the Colts went with the onside kick.  I just wanted to share a little insight regarding the strategy behind these non-essential onside kicks early in games. 

I love the fact that the coaches picked up on this tendency in the film room.  It was a gutsy call that helped the Colts pick up even more momentum early.  It seems the painfully slow starts are becoming a thing of the past.

Go Colts.

I saw this topic being discussed a bit in the Pat McAfee thread.

This is not something that Pat did on his own. It wasn't a last-second audible either.

When onside kicks come early in games like this, it is because during the week of preparation prior to the game, the Colts coaching staff noticed a trend on film where the Jaguars KR front line bail early (to get a head start on setting up the return blocking) without even watching the kick.

If you re-watch the play, you'll notice that before Pat puts his foot into the ball, the Jaguars on the recovery side have already turned their backs on the play.

Anyway, I saw some conspiracy theories as to why the Colts went with the onside kick. I just wanted to share a little insight regarding the strategy behind these non-essential onside kicks early in games.

I love the fact that the coaches picked up on this tendency in the film room. It was a gutsy call that helped the Colts pick up even more momentum early. It seems the painfully slow starts are becoming a thing of the past.

Go Colts.

Titans, but i agree with everything else

Basically, it was the same way that the Saints studied the Colts tendencies when they onside kicked us out of the Super Bowl. 

yep...  they saw we were lining Hank up there, knew he was a wimp, kicked the ball to him, and told everyone to jump on him while they wrestled the ball away from him.   

Now you went and made me think about that again!  It still ticks me off.   I will forever hate Hank Baskett.