Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We are #2 in the league for scoring

krunk

can you please elaborate on what grounds you're expecting it?

i've been hoping for it, but i doubt the players we have suddenly magically get better at it...

Walden has improved as a pass rusher, and contrary to what a lot of people say about Werner he's been really close on a number of sacks such as two on Bortles and a couple times in the Eagles game where the qb simply got rid of the ball right as Werner was approaching for the sack.  Also with the return of Jerrell Freeman we can incorporate he and D. Jackson into the blitz more.  I also expect J. Newsome to improve with the more experience he obtains, and we may be able to get something out of Chris Carter(taking over for Cam Johnson) as he learns the D. He was a pretty high rated pass rusher coming out of college, but it didn't work out in Pittsburgh for whatever the reason.  Redding has been really close on some occasions as well.  I believe Manusky will learn what works best with the guys we have as we go along.  

Bill Polian said you can only get that type of guy drafting in the top 10 or sometimes 15 slots. I dont think we want to endure a record that get's us a 1 of those every year. Let's stay with this and get or develop some true pass rush guys to make it easier for the DB's....

I like Polian, but he says a lot of stuff.....

Walden has improved as a pass rusher, and contrary to what a lot of people say about Werner he's been really close on a number of sacks such as two on Bortles and a couple times in the Eagles game where the qb simply got rid of the ball right as Werner was approaching for the sack.  Also with the return of Jerrell Freeman we can incorporate he and D. Jackson into the blitz more.  I also expect J. Newsome to improve with the more experience he obtains, and we may be able to get something out of Chris Carter(taking over for Cam Johnson) as he learns the D. He was a pretty high rated pass rusher coming out of college, but it didn't work out in Pittsburgh for whatever the reason.  Redding has been really close on some occasions as well.  I believe Manusky will learn what works best with the guys we have as we go along.  

fair enough.. i hope you are right..

fair enough.. i hope you are right..

Have no other thing to turn to but this.  I don't have a lot of confidence we will be trading for Dion Jordan because of 

the PED and Drug stuff. I suspect Grigs would be leary of that considering all the Levon Brazil stuff.  It would be a 

shame if we got him here and he got popped again after us giving up a high draft pick.  Maybe Brandon Graham is 

possible, but honestly I don't think the Eagles have a whole lot of pass rusher depth to be giving him up at this time

if they don't think Marcus Smith is getting it. I'd love to have Marcus Smith on our team but I don't think they'll give him

up.  They just drafted him this year, so it's too early to give up on him.  

Other than the above I don't see much else to speak of as I scan the market.  I don't think we'll be bringing in Jackson Jeffcoat  

for even a practice squad position if we just signed Trevardo Williams on the practice squad ahead of him.  Nobody has been giving Trevardo Wiliams a chance, so I would assume the opinion on Jeffcoat is even lower. I could be wrong though!

I like Polian, but he says a lot of stuff.....

He was explaining to a reporter why we were undersized.  He said that Tony Dungy wanted big and fast guys, but they were all off the draft board by the time the Colts were on thedraft clock every year.  So it was Tony's choice to take the smaller faster guy rather than the larger but slower guy.  It was Tony Dungy's  version of Chuck Knoll / Bud Carson defense that he and Monte Kiffin altered, so what Tony wanted, Tony got.

A smart one too. Better than a dumb one.

So the 2006 SB trophy doesn't count for you then. Bill says it's OK, he doesn't recognize your SB trophy with you as a GM either...

Oh come on man!!!  I certainly don't credit that Super Bowl win to Polian....  comments like the one you made disgust me.  you don't have to blindly love someone just because they were associated with the Colts.  I hated the way he built our team.  He was carried by Peyton Manning.  Polian was an arrogant *.   What did he do that was so smart?  Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy won us a SB, not Bill Polian.  Remember Bill Polian recently saying he would have drafted RG3 over Luck??   THANK GOD WE GOT RID OF HIM BEFORE HE DOOMED US FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS!!!!

Also, you do realize you basically said my opinion doesnt matter because I don't have a Superbowl trophy as a GM.  Well sir, that is your opinion and you don't have a Superbowl trophy either.  So if I can't say he sucked than you can't say he didn't.  See how flawed your logic is?

I don't mean to be a kill-joy in this thread,  but with only 3 weeks into the season,  being 2nd in scoring doesn't say that much....

Because we've played against two teams (Denver and Philly) that were high scoring games.   And we had to score to keep up...

And we played against another team (J'Ville) that was so bad that you couldn't help but score.

You need a bigger sample size to get a better feel for just how good (or not) we're doing.

Something like half the season..........    that will tell us much more...

Peter King has some interesting comments about Richardson on his Tuesday mailbag column on SI.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/23/week-3-mailbag-nfl/

Richardson’s biggest problem when I watch him play is his inability to make people miss. It’s interesting when you see very good college running backs come into the NFL. Take Le’Veon Bell, for instance. He was not a very good all-around back last year in Pittsburgh. His blocking was suspect. I don’t think he had the requisite toughness that Mike Tomlin requires in his back. But he worked hard this offseason and got better at the deficient parts of his game. As far as Richardson goes, I don’t know if it’s possible to increase one’s quickness or shiftiness appreciably in an offseason. But that is what Richardson must do to improve his running ability and his chances of salvaging a once-promising career.

Peter King is much better at getting information from people around the league than he is at analyzing football. He's dead wrong here. Richardson makes people miss all the time. It's difficult to do that when you're confronted by defenders in the backfield, but he does sometimes. And in the open field, he's put plenty of people of skates. He had a nasty juke Sunday after a catch.

Richardson's problem is simple: He needs to read the flow of the play, find the right hole, and know when to bounce outside or cutback. He's been better at that lately, though not perfect. And when he does have a crease, he could be more explosive through or around it. Making people miss isn't the issue, at all.

I think that being 26th in scoring defense and 29th in total yardage after playing a cupcake like the Jags should be a major concern. Those gaudy offensive numbers are also inflated by the blowout a bit. I am hoping for the best here but that kind of defensive showing just won't get the job done. So what happens when we meet a great defense like the Texans? There will be less scoring. The Colts can still win but if the defense gives up 25 to 30 against Houston, it isn't likely. We got four sacks against the Jags. I think the Giants got ten the week before. The pressure almost all game from the blitz. We won't be winning 11 or 12 games if this doesn't improve.

Hang on...

So you dismiss the offensive stats because they've been skewed by playing 1 cupcake team... but the defensive stats are fine despite they argument they have been skewed by playing 2 of the highest scoring offenses in the NFL.

Not sure I follow your logic here?

The simple answer is of course the sample size of 3 games if far too small to draw sensible conclusions, that's even before we take into account strength of schedule oddities.

Hang on...

So you dismiss the offensive stats because they've been skewed by playing 1 cupcake team... but the defensive stats are fine despite they argument they have been skewed by playing 2 of the highest scoring offenses in the NFL.

Not sure I follow your logic here?

The simple answer is of course the sample size of 3 games if far too small to draw sensible conclusions, that's even before we take into account strength of schedule oddities.

You beat me to it. I was thinking the exact same thing haha

Oh come on man!!!  I certainly don't credit that Super Bowl win to Polian....  comments like the one you made disgust me.  you don't have to blindly love someone just because they were associated with the Colts.  I hated the way he built our team.  He was carried by Peyton Manning.  Polian was an arrogant *.   What did he do that was so smart?  Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy won us a SB, not Bill Polian.  Remember Bill Polian recently saying he would have drafted RG3 over Luck??   THANK GOD WE GOT RID OF HIM BEFORE HE DOOMED US FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS!!!!

Also, you do realize you basically said my opinion doesnt matter because I don't have a Superbowl trophy as a GM.  Well sir, that is your opinion and you don't have a Superbowl trophy either.  So if I can't say he sucked than you can't say he didn't.  See how flawed your logic is?

Ok Kyle. Here is the deal  You stop on my first sentence of a post, then put up your own opinion.  Disregarding the whole post beyod that... by your own admission. But I can challenge your opinion.  I did, and will continue to do so now. 

Polian was a GM in the NFL for 23 years!  I. myself just celebrated 21 years at my company..  These are milestones. Incompetents do not get to make reference to such a history.  But I will not put you on the spot and ask for your longest employment streak.

in Polian's 23 years a a GM, he went to playoffs  16 times out of 23 years.  of those 16, he went o the Super Bowl 5 times.  He won the one (you don't give him any credit for) and lost 4 others.

PolianRecordNFL23_zps176d9d02.png

In comparison, yours and my opinion is worth jack squat to job results.  Grigson will be fortunate to have half the career Bill Polian has had. I'm glad you have an opinon, and can speak it.  I feel it is pure Farmland Fertilizer in my opinion. But feel free to find the quantitative items that disprove his track record and that he didn't play a large part in the 2006 SB win.  And post all of those other GM's records who make Polian look like a lost rookie too, while you're at it....

Ok Kyle. Here is the deal  You stop on my first sentence of a post, then put up your own opinion.  Disregarding the whole post beyod that... by your own admission. But I can challenge your opinion.  I did, and will continue to do so now. 

Polian was a GM in the NFL for 23 years!  I. myself just celebrated 21 years at my company..  These are milestones. Incompetents do not get to make reference to such a history.  But I will not put you on the spot and ask for your longest employment streak.

in Polian's 23 years a a GM, he went to playoffs  16 times out of 23 years.  of those 16, he went o the Super Bowl 5 times.  He won the one (you don't give him any credit for) and lost 4 others.

PolianRecordNFL23_zps176d9d02.png

In comparison, yours and my opinion is worth jack squat to job results.  Grigson will be fortunate to have half the career Bill Polian has had. I'm glad you have an opinon, and can speak it.  I feel it is pure Farmland Fertilizer in my opinion. But feel free to find the quantitative items that disprove his track record and that he didn't play a large part in the 2006 SB win.  And post all of those other GM's records who make Polian look like a lost rookie too, while you're at it....

I am just not fond of Polian.  By the way, I didn't really stop reading your original post after the first sentence... I was just kidding.

I am just not fond of Polian.  By the way, I didn't really stop reading your original post after the first sentence... I was just kidding.

No problem, many don't like many things about Polian.  There are things about him I don't like either, and that is OK.  But we do have to give him credit, where its due. That's all I'm saying.  And him listening to Tony Dungy and getting the type player Tony wanted was key.

Our defense is ranked so high because we played Denver and Philidelphia the first 2 games.  I don't see many teams scoring like that on us.  On the other side of the table we demolished Jax cause they're one of the worst teams in the league.  I fully expected the Colt's to win that a large margin  I said 34-10 but it was even more lopsided.  I knew the Colt's D would give up 30+ to DEN and PHI but you will notice those numbers drop since the only great offenses.  At season's end Colts offense will be top 3 and the defense will be in the top 15 for points and yds given up and perhaps top 10 in TO's forced.

The defense played really good against Philadelphia, but the offensive play calling was horrible and kept getting three and outs in the second half. The defense was tired and you can't let Chip Kelly's offense take the field as much as they did in the second half.

I think we'll be one of the top offenses all year long barring a rash of injuries.  Even before the Jacksonville game when everyone was dogging Pep and the offense we were still averaging about 26 points per game which I think is up from Lucks first two seasons.

The defense played really good against Philadelphia, but the offensive play calling was horrible and kept getting three and outs in the second half. The defense was tired and you can't let Chip Kelly's offense take the field as much as they did in the second half.

I definitely agree with the time of possession, that's how you beat teams with very prolific offenses.  Play calling was a question, but if the team would execute a little better then that may not be in a valid excuse.  I love how the Colts played these last two games in these aspects... Granted Den & Phi is on the opposite side of the spectrum from Ten & Jax

I definitely agree with the time of possession, that's how you beat teams with very prolific offenses. Play calling was a question, but if the team would execute a little better then that may not be in a valid excuse. I love how the Colts played these last two games in these aspects... Granted Den & Phi is on the opposite side of the spectrum from Ten & Jax

They definitely should have executed better. I actually am impressed with the last two weeks. I know Ten and Jax are low level teams but good teams are suppose to whoop bad teams and thats exactly what the Colts did. These next 6 games will really show what the Colts are about. I think the Colts will go 4-2. Hou and Cin i think will give them the most trouble.

They definitely should have executed better. I actually am impressed with the last two weeks. I know Ten and Jax are low level teams but good teams are suppose to whoop bad teams and thats exactly what the Colts did. These next 6 games will really show what the Colts are about. I think the Colts will go 4-2. Hou and Cin i think will give them the most trouble.

I think the Bengals game is our only really hard game, but I think that is the only game that we could lose.  Texans really havent impressed me too much.  Baltimore and New England are good teams, but I think of the Colts on a slightly higher level.

I think the Bengals game is our only really hard game, but I think that is the only game that we could lose. Texans really havent impressed me too much. Baltimore and New England are good teams, but I think of the Colts on a slightly higher level.

The only thing about Houston is they always play the Colts very competitively when they are at home. They know the Colts and i will always expect them to put up a fight in their stadium.

Any divisional game should be close. Tennessee use to play us real close in the past also.  I think Houston's defense is a little overhyped, especially w/o Clowney.  No disrespect, because I do think they're good, but they should be scared of our offense more then we should be scared of their defense.  Also, their offense isn't really that good.  I dont think this game should be close.