Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kirk Cousins is better than RGIII

LordHelpOurColts

Terrible analogy, they don't play on the same team. Schaub got beat out by a rookie Jonathan couldn't learn the playbook and couldnt beat out hoyer, and bob can't stay healthy. Cousins would start for Cleveland and Oakland

LOL so you are the one who makes a terrible comparison and somehow mine is bad. None of them play for the same team so everything you've said is automatically irrelevant by your own definition.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because he's injury prone doesn't mean he isn't built for football. That statement is ridiculous.

Reggie Wayne tore his ACL without being touched. Vick Ballard went down in a non-contact drill, tearing his acl.

Freak accidents do happen. He's just been unlucky.

(For the record, I do think Cousins will be the starter in time)

I don't think Ballard will be able to last in the NFL either. Some guys bodies can't handle the grind. Bob has had two knee surgeries and now an ankle surgery and he isn't even 25

LOL so you are the one who makes a terrible comparison and somehow mine is bad. None of them play for the same team so everything you've said is automatically irrelevant by your own definition.

Schaub and Manziel are on the bench behind guys that aren't as good as cousins. I didn't think it was that difficult

Torn ligaments happen all the time without contact. I can't ever remember anyone dislocating their ankle

Why's it matter if it's ever happened before? It still doesn't prove that he's not built to play in the NFL

Obviously RG3 is super athletic, and running is almost natural to him. Like I said, freak accidents happen.

Schaub and Manziel are on the bench behind guys that aren't as good as cousins. I didn't think it was that difficult

That's up for debate. Manziel, Carr are rookies. Schaub has put up bigtime stats in the league, though who knows what state he is in now. I'm still not inclined to automatically say that Cousins is better then any of those other guys, especially not going by the fact that one guy is a rookie who is sitting (Who woulda thunk it) and the other got hurt and has no option but to sit. None of us can speak to how Schaub is this year because we haven't seen him play.

Why's it matter if it's ever happened before? It still doesn't prove that he's not built to play in the NFL

Obviously RG3 is super athletic, and running is almost natural to him. Like I said, freak accidents happen.

And some happen more often to guys like griffen. Do you remember bob Sanders? The guy was a freak injury machine

And some happen more often to guys like griffen. Do you remember bob Sanders? The guy was a freak injury machine

Of course. Some guys are unlucky, or maybe they've gotten too big for their ligaments to handle, or whatever else. *cough* HGH *cough*

Nobody is "built" to run into other people at high speeds like football players do. But just because he is injury prone doesn't mean he shouldn't play it.

Of course. Some guys are unlucky, or maybe they've gotten too big for their ligaments to handle, or whatever else. *cough* HGH *cough*

Nobody is "built" to run into other people at high speeds like football players do. But just because he is injury prone doesn't mean he shouldn't play it.

I agree, he isn't very good from the pocket. That's why he shouldn't play

Well he's getting his chance and making RG3 look useless??

I wouldn't say he is making a three-year starter look useless after 2 games played. I'm sure he will get his chance in the league, and this is his opportunity to show his goods. He understands what situation he is in right now though.

I wouldn't say he is making a three-year starter look useless after 2 games played. I'm sure he will get his chance in the league, and this is his opportunity to show his goods. He understands what situation he is in right now though.

Three year starter? He hasnt even played two seasons worth of games

Three year starter? He hasnt even played two seasons worth of games

....Yet he started in 2012, 2013, and 2014. And will be the starter when he comes back...he is still a three year starter. He has missed 4 or 5 games in three seasons...that's not terrible, and his most recent injury isn't even his fault.

....Yet he started in 2012, 2013, and 2014. And will be the starter when he comes back...he is still a three year starter. He has missed 4 or 5 games in three seasons...that's not terrible, and his most recent injury isn't even his fault.

Is any injury a players fault? Some guys are just brittle

Is any injury a players fault? Some guys are just brittle

In regards to Griffin, yeah, taking the hits he used to always take. Sure some guys get hurt more than others but they survived high school, college and are now solid contributors to the NFL. Not sure what any of this has to do with my OP though.

Three years three injuries, any team in any sport has to decide very soon what to concentrate on to win this year and the years ahead. I don't see much of a future for RGIII as a starter for any team in the NFL not only because of his injuries but he simply is not playing well.

Just because he's injury prone doesn't mean he isn't built for football. That statement is ridiculous.

Reggie Wayne tore his ACL without being touched. Vick Ballard went down in a non-contact drill, tearing his acl.

Freak accidents do happen. He's just been unlucky.

(For the record, I do think Cousins will be the starter in time)

He's not built to play the way he plays the game though.  He doesn't have the size to be a running QB and take hits like he does.

Exactly, his body isn't built for NFL football. He dislocated his ankle without being touched. Have you ever seen that happen to anyone before?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Not sure RG has the body for the NFL. The ankle injury was bizarre. I remember Vinny Testaverde breaking his ankle vs the Pats without ever being touched but he was 36 I think at the time. The skins have a full fledged QB controversy on their hands. You can't just insert RG because you think he can play well when Cousins is lighting it up.

Philly's D hasn't exactly been impressive this season. I don't think Griffin will lose his job to Cousins, everyone on the team including Cousins himself understands the role that he is playing.

Pretty sure if Washington is doing well and in playoff contention in 7-8 weeks from now , Cousin's will remain the starter. Naturally that would include Cousin's being healthy and effective when RG3 is back. What would probably happen is Washington would just delay giving him the OK to return to action and that would pretty much kill any controversy. If Cousin's is just OK and Washington has a losing record , I would think they would be happy to see RG3 play a few games to get an idea of what 2015 is going to bring. Thing is , IMO, this will be a very intriguing situation if Cousins looks to be something above an average QB. 

Pretty sure if Washington is doing well and in playoff contention in 7-8 weeks from now , Cousin's will remain the starter. Naturally that would include Cousin's being healthy and effective when RG3 is back. What would probably happen is Washington would just delay giving him the OK to return to action and that would pretty much kill any controversy. If Cousin's is just OK and Washington has a losing record , I would think they would be happy to see RG3 play a few games to get an idea of what 2015 is going to bring. Thing is , IMO, this will be a very intriguing situation if Cousins looks to be something above an average QB. 

In a game and a half Cousins has 5 TDs, 1 pick, 64 completion percentage and 677 yards. He has not been above average, he has been great. If the Skins had any defense yesterday, they win by two scores. I think Cousins just clicks with Gruden's system. If he continues to post those type of numbers, no way they put RG in even if the record is not good.

You know, I have never been a big fan of Mike Shanny but his decision to draft Cousins in the same draft as they got RG may have saved the Redskins franchise. It was reported back then that Shanny never really wanted RG but Ryan Tannenhill and suspected that RG would not last. Not sure how much he had to fight to take Cousins in the fourth round but it was brilliant. Maybe the only brilliant thing he ever really did in D.C..

In a game and a half Cousins has 5 TDs, 1 pick, 64 completion percentage and 677 yards. He has not been above average, he has been great. If the Skins had any defense yesterday, they win by two scores. I think Cousins just clicks with Gruden's system. If he continues to post those type of numbers, no way they put RG in even if the record is not good.

You know, I have never been a big fan of Mike Shanny but his decision to draft Cousins in the same draft as they got RG may have saved the Redskins franchise. It was reported back then that Shanny never really wanted RG but Ryan Tannenhill and suspected that RG would not last. Not sure how much he had to fight to take Cousins in the fourth round but it was brilliant. Maybe the only brilliant thing he ever really did in D.C..

Can't argue that as I think the fan base in Washington would probably back Cousins. Funny thing about the  RG "hold up " thing. That's what Polian said was the reason Irsay didn't consider RG3 along with Luck at 1.1. "Small and had an injury history".. something like that.

I don't see it, but I guess we will find out. They gave up a lot to get their franchise quarterback, and Jay Gruden believes in him. I don't see this as a Brady or Kaepernick type of situation. If he does turn out to be above average, well, maybe they can get some picks for him. Or maybe it will be an open competition going forward to see who has the best to offer. I just don't think they have given up on Robert Griffin yet.

I don't see it, but I guess we will find out. They gave up a lot to get their franchise quarterback, and Jay Gruden believes in him. I don't see this as a Brady or Kaepernick type of situation. If he does turn out to be above average, well, maybe they can get some picks for him. Or maybe it will be an open competition going forward to see who has the best to offer. I just don't think they have given up on Robert Griffin yet.

I don't think they have given up yet either and my post doesn't imply it. What I'm saying is if the Redskins are in contention and Cousins is playing well , they will stick with him. That's a far cry from saying they are going to dump him or give the job to Cousin's on a permanent basis . Right ? BTW .. do you know how Jay Gruden feels about Cousins too? That would give us even more insight as to a prediction.

I don't think they have given up yet either and my post doesn't imply it. What I'm saying is if the Redskins are in contention and Cousins is playing well , they will stick with him. That's a far cry from saying they are going to dump him or give the job to Cousin's on a permanent basis . Right ? BTW .. do you know how Jay Gruden feels about Cousins too? That would give us even more insight as to a prediction.

Well, if you stick with a QB while the natural starter is healthy, then more then likely you won't go back to him, and things will be awkward whether you win a playoff game or not. Gruden will have a lot of 'splainin' to do if Griffin is healthy and sitting on the sideline watching the rest of the season, and then all of a sudden he is starting game one of 2015. Coaches would get fired for doing things like that. I don't know how Gruden feels about Cousins but I'm sure he is glad with what he's seen so far.

Well, if you stick with a QB while the natural starter is healthy, then more then likely you won't go back to him, and things will be awkward whether you win a playoff game or not. Gruden will have a lot of 'splainin' to do if Griffin is healthy and sitting on the sideline watching the rest of the season, and then all of a sudden he is starting game one of 2015. Coaches would get fired for doing things like that. I don't know how Gruden feels about Cousins but I'm sure he is glad with what he's seen so far.

I'm thinking that with a time table of 6-8 weeks , that brings them to game 11. It takes a bit of practice to get back into form , so probably looking at game 12 or 13 where he would be ready to start. If they are out of contention , I agree that RG 3 returns as the starter. If otherwise , I'm guessing that can say something like "we want to make sure the ankle is totally healed." Then you would have a real interesting decision for 2015. If they don't trade one of the two before the season starts , they are pretty much screwed as far as getting good compensation. Cousins will for sure be in his option year and RG3 probably in his too. I hope Cousin's plays well as this will be incredibly interesting to see how it plays out, Don't misunderstand me , Washington will look like *s if they end up trading 3 1's and a 2nd to move up 5 spots to draft him. So no doubt they are not dying to trade RG3 for a "small package" at this stage in his career. However... I don't think they would risk a playoff spot to get RG3 back into the lineup. Reason being is that he hasn't yet shown that he can operate Gruden's offense better than Cousin's can. So it's not like the other situations where your starter doesn't lose his job due to an injury. JMO...

I'm thinking that with a time table of 6-8 weeks , that brings them to game 11. It takes a bit of practice to get back into form , so probably looking at game 12 or 13 where he would be ready to start. If they are out of contention , I agree that RG 3 returns as the starter. If otherwise , I'm guessing that can say something like "we want to make sure the ankle is totally healed." Then you would have a real interesting decision for 2015. If they don't trade one of the two before the season starts , they are pretty much screwed as far as getting good compensation. Cousins will for sure be in his option year and RG3 probably in his too. I hope Cousin's plays well as this will be incredibly interesting to see how it plays out, Don't misunderstand me , Washington will look like *s if they end up trading 3 1's and a 2nd to move up 5 spots to draft him. So no doubt they are not dying to trade RG3 for a "small package" at this stage in his career. However... I don't think they would risk a playoff spot to get RG3 back into the lineup. Reason being is that he hasn't yet shown that he can operate Gruden's offense better than Cousin's can. So it's not like the other situations where your starter doesn't lose his job due to an injury. JMO...

Yeah I see what you are saying now. I too hope Cousins plays well, I like the Redskins. Things will definitely get interesting if he leads them to a spot in the playoffs.

It also does not help that Cousins outplayed RG in camp and preseason.

It also does not help that Cousins outplayed RG in camp and preseason.

That's what was reported from just about every source. You have a point and even stronger one if they thought RG3 slacked a bit learning the playbook. This was also reported but could be a bunch of nonsense.

Yeah I see what you are saying now. I too hope Cousins plays well, I like the Redskins. Things will definitely get interesting if he leads them to a spot in the playoffs.

Like I said , this one will be fun to follow. Not a whole lot said here but....Oh.. and the added stuff there is just some rotoworld guy. 

Speaking Tuesday, Redskins coach Jay Gruden confirmed that Kirk Cousins could remain the team's starting quarterback even once Robert Griffin III (ankle) returns in 6-8 weeks.

"Crazy things have happened in NFL," Gruden said. "I'm not going to discount anything." Gruden is just admitting the obvious, but it's telling he isn't being more diplomatic barely a week after RGIII went down. Gruden was trying to square peg Griffin into a round hole as his quarterback, while Cousins is a perfect fit for what he's trying to do. RGIII owners need to move forward realizing there's a good chance he doesn't start another game this seaso

Like I said , this one will be fun to follow. Not a whole lot said here but....Oh.. and the added stuff there is just some rotoworld guy. 

Speaking Tuesday, Redskins coach Jay Gruden confirmed that Kirk Cousins could remain the team's starting quarterback even once Robert Griffin III (ankle) returns in 6-8 weeks.

"Crazy things have happened in NFL," Gruden said. "I'm not going to discount anything." Gruden is just admitting the obvious, but it's telling he isn't being more diplomatic barely a week after RGIII went down. Gruden was trying to square peg Griffin into a round hole as his quarterback, while Cousins is a perfect fit for what he's trying to do. RGIII owners need to move forward realizing there's a good chance he doesn't start another game this seaso

Typical coach speak lol. I suppose it is a good thing he wants to keep all options open, even the ones that could lead to significant decisions.

Typical coach speak lol. I suppose it is a good thing he wants to keep all options open, even the ones that could lead to significant decisions.

Yeah doesn't mean a whole lot. The decision will be interesting if Cousins plays well , RG3 heals up quickly and the Redskins stay in contention. If any of those 3 don't happen , I think they just start RG (if healthy) and if he plays well , they trade Cousins before the 2015 season. Now if that happens and RG3 doesn't play well , then you have" who knows what" for 2015.

Then you would have a real interesting decision for 2015. If they don't trade one of the two before the season starts , they are pretty much screwed as far as getting good compensation. Cousins will for sure be in his option year and RG3 probably in his too.

To make things even more complicated... as 4th rounder Cousins doesn't have an option year, just a standard 4 yr contract.