Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kirk Cousins is better than RGIII

LordHelpOurColts

like jvan said, they have quality guys (usually entry level positions) that go through and do all the charting and looking for trends etc and they give that to the coaches in a nice easy to read little package. As for gameplanning, they typically go 4 games back and if a team hasn't run a given concept or play in that time, they usually won't practice for it that week. Individual players on the other hand sometimes keep notebooks on opposing players that they know they will face again later down the road. So even going back to last year and the spot duty he saw during 2012, defensive players (especially within the division) will have their own collection of information on Cousins with notes on how he handled various situations and his tendencies. Sometimes its the quality guys or position coaches that give them the info, but a lot of times its the players themselves watching film and taking notes - and they keep that stuff forever, or as long as its relevant.

no idea if that's what you were asking or not :)

My question on film study is this......Usin this season as an example the Titans are now 3 games into the season...Im not exactly sure how film study works, I have ready the normal thing that is done is that many coaches that study game film chart plays of each down, distance, formation and so forth...My question on it is this....Lets say your much further along into the season......Coaches wont actually go back and chart every single down and play all of those games would they? I'd imagine that would take away from ALOT of time to prepare for an opponent on the field if your for example much deeper into the season and many more games have been played. Never understood how coaches and coordinators and Quality Control coaches do that

They do have a ton of people behind the scenes charting that stuff. Most coaches spend like 18 hr days at the facilities during game weeks. A lot of film sessions and breaking down tape. The internet and computers etc help a ton nowadays some games are even charted by outside organizations telling you how many throws left under 10yds over 20 etc...its gotten much easier. Obviously you may not watch every game tape...you may watch against teams that employ a similar defense or offensive scheme...old game tapes of when they faced you before (divisional opponents) and probably the last 4 games or so. That said I'm sure Bill Bellichek has every PM game on film and reviews concepts from 10yrs ago I wouldn't doubt but would likely spend most of his time reviewing say the last 3 or 4 times they faced plus last few games Denver has played. Same goes for Peyton...I bet he looks at old footage of Ty Law and those old defenses just because he sees similarities in how NE may play him again. These guys aren't just spending a couple hours a day lifting and running through drills...ton of time in film room and a lot of assistants feeding information to the coaches.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...