Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning to Irsay:"I don't need to be highest-paid player"(TAKING PAY CUT) (Merge)

coltsuser21

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a recent interview Manning said, "I'm willing to take less than they've offered if they are going to take that money to keep players we need to keep and go get other players. All I want is for them to have the cap and the cash to keep the players they want to keep and to sign other players." Please! Take him up on this! "I told (the Colts) my cap numbers can be as low as they want them to be in being creative with the salary cap." Listen to Peyton, your most valuable player. Bring back those players you need to and go out and get quality veteran help. Not that I know anything about anything, but I don't even care if they are a big name. I just want them to be able to make a noticeable difference in some of the weak areas of the team. I work security for the Bears' training camp, so all I hear about is the moves the Bears are making to improve. I honestly just want us to bring in someone new that I be proud of.

-Whiny Paranoid ESPN Addicted Fan

lol at the naïveté here.

Peyton is JUST saying this now, instead of when Irsay said this stuff 6 months ago?

Complete and utter PR move. And many of you are falling for it.

Who is to say he hadn't spoken to Condon about this sooner? I mean up until a few days ago we were still in a lockout, where technically he couldn't speak to anyone from the Colts organization. Couple that with the fact he just had twins, and neck surgery he would be dumb to prematurely go out and say he wants less money. The struggle to re-sign players is also now directly in his face, and he knows a lot of the weight on who they sign relies on his contract, so even if he's just making the decision to say less money its still admirable. Now if he said it after his contract was signed, I'd call that a PR move, but hey that's jut not Peyton Manning.

lol at the naïveté here.

Peyton is JUST saying this now, instead of when Irsay said this stuff 6 months ago?

Complete and utter PR move. And many of you are falling for it.

What kind of publicity would Peyton garner by pretending to be flexible and then going back on his statements? What would he stand to gain by such a move?

I don't think people are being naive, we have nothing to gain or lose by believing his statements. Nor do I think he's hinting that he'll take the league minimum to help the team. Sounds more like he's posturing himself for incentive money than anything else.

Peyton has always done this for the team. He has always restructured his contract when needed for the cap or made sure that it was "cap friendly".

He always gets crap for making a lot of money, but many years he was one of the least paid (salaried, not counting bonuses) players on the team.

I think it is obvious that he just wants to play and he wants a team that he can win another SB with. He wants the front office to be able to make that happen.

I say kudos to him and I say :neener: to those who dissed him. rotfl :P

Peyton has always done this for the team. He has always restructured his contract when needed for the cap or made sure that it was "cap friendly".

He always gets crap for making a lot of money, but many years he was one of the least paid (salaried, not counting bonuses) players on the team.

I think it is obvious that he just wants to play and he wants a team that he can win another SB with. He wants the front office to be able to make that happen.

All too true. The man is too filthy stinkin rich to be greddy, if that makes any sense. I bet he wipes his babies butts with $100 bills.

I say kudos to him and I say :neener: to those who dissed him. rotfl :P

oh you women and your silly emoticons.

Peyton shows us once again why he is the best QB of all time. Smart and considerate, he wants to WIN. He is ready to forfeit his own cash for the sake of the team, a true TEAM player. So Irsay, Give him 18.1 million a year so he makes more than Brady, and go sign Addai, Moss and others.

Superbowl here we come.

Peyton requested a deal slightly less per year than Tom Brady's contract, but Jim Irsay refused to pay Peyton less than Tom Brady gets. Peyton's deal will pay him 69mil over the first 3 years and carry a 2011 cap hit of 16mil.

The known numbers are 90mil total, 5 years, 69 mil over the first 3. 16mil cap hit this season. Making up the specific numbers within those bounds the contract would probably look something like

Signing Bonus: 42mil

2011 Salary: 8mil 2011 Cap: 16.4mil

2012 Salary: 9mil 2012 Cap: 17.4mil

2013 Salary: 10mil 2013 Cap: 18.4mil

2014 Salary: 10mil 2014 Cap: 18.4mil

2015 Salary: 11mil 2015 cap: 19.4mil

The 69 million number for the first 3 years is confusing, especially given the low cap hit for 2011, but makes sense if .... Goes on to explain why

My link

Jim Irsay tweets Manning’s 2011 cap hit is $16 million. $7 million under franchise cap hit.

My link

Jim Irsay tweets Manning’s 2011 cap hit is $16 million. $7 million under franchise cap hit.

My link

+1, Irsay wasn't saying this year Peyton was getting 23 mil, he was saying that Peyton made it very cap friendly by getting it knocked down to 16 mil from the price of the tag (23 million).

With the signing bonus split among the years, Peyton will actually receive 24.8 million however only 16 counting towards the ~123 million cap. =)

Wow, I was expecting something higher. I thought he would be in the $20 mil per year zone. Glad it turned out like this, this was a huge step in bringing the Lombardi Trophy back to Indy this season

Don't look at the cap hit, look at the total moeny recieved per year. He's still getting the money he deserves, just not in a way that will screw us over. :dancing:

Peyton requested a deal slightly less per year than Tom Brady's contract, but Jim Irsay refused to pay Peyton less than Tom Brady gets. Peyton's deal will pay him 69mil over the first 3 years and carry a 2011 cap hit of 16mil.

The known numbers are 90mil total, 5 years, 69 mil over the first 3. 16mil cap hit this season. Making up the specific numbers within those bounds the contract would probably look something like

Signing Bonus: 42mil

2011 Salary: 8mil 2011 Cap: 16.4mil

2012 Salary: 9mil 2012 Cap: 17.4mil

2013 Salary: 10mil 2013 Cap: 18.4mil

2014 Salary: 10mil 2014 Cap: 18.4mil

2015 Salary: 11mil 2015 cap: 19.4mil

The 69 million number for the first 3 years is confusing, especially given the low cap hit for 2011, but makes sense if .... Goes on to explain why

My link

My link

Wow...some ego he has that he had to pay him higher than Brady when Manning didn't care. I guess PR is part of it all too but this has gotta be a first "wanting to pay more"

In contrast to those who were bashing Peyton, saying that it was all a PR trick that he said he would take less. ;)

I think the Colts fans were called naive for believing Peyton a couple of days ago (not by you, JJ). :D

I am sure that owners have "wetting matches" and the "whose player has the bigger...er...contract" contests all the time as well. Don't most guys in business?

In contrast to those who were bashing Peyton, saying that it was all a PR trick that he said he would take less. ;)

I think the Colts fans were called naive for believing Peyton a couple of days ago (not by you, JJ). :D

I am sure that owners have "wetting matches" and the "whose player has the bigger...er...contract" contests all the time as well. Don't most guys in business?

You know what they say about guys with big contracts....

big wallets

If you've paid attention to the Patriots FO in the past, you'd know that they care less about paying the most for anyone.

Irsay seems to have that obsession. Wasn't Freeney's contract the highest for a defensive player at the time? Sanders also had the highest salary for a safety.

Brady's hit this year is $13 mil.

Well a business owner (barring a contract) would pay someone more than they asked to keep him/her around.

I don't see how it can be for the fans to brag because if anything they'll brag who makes the less (the old team player argument).

Now some owner are themselves fans and perhaps Isray just wants that satisifaction of his QB makes more than Brady (since he referenced Brady).

It's not going to create more wins unless one wants to argue it puts more pressure on said player...

Its odd at the least.

But it's his team and he can certainly do what he wants. But there is the cap consideration too.

The other day I wrote a post that was fairly critical of Manning regarding the pace of his contract negotiations and the purported 20-25 mil that he wanted.

I even committed the ultimate heresy for a Colts fan by comparing him unfavorably to Tom Brady as far as the contract situation is concerned.

As I'm sure that Peyton is reading through this thread and is especially concerned with what that guy "Wordofmouth" thinks,,,,,,,,, Peyton I apologize!

The bottom line on all of this is that Manning did in fact leave money on the table, which helps the team. He didn't have to do this. There are lots of players/team leaders that wouldn't....and that's not limited to the NFL.

As far as Irsay's ego & the way he derives satisfaction as an owner - I believe there's truth to that. He's one to let his wallet do the talking at times. Not sure what he's trying to prove. Someone mentioned the Freeney contract (riches in D history at the time) and Sanders (paid more than Polamolu at the time) and that fits the Irsay M.O. The team now seems to be closing the have/have nots gap within the organization slightly, as well as increase in dumping unproductive/injured players....which are welcome changes as far as I'm concerned.