Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning to Irsay:"I don't need to be highest-paid player"(TAKING PAY CUT) (Merge)

coltsuser21

Colts quarterback Peyton Manning insisted today that he isn’t driven by the desire to be the NFL’s highest-paid player and has no interest in being the reason the Indianapolis franchise is unable to make various roster moves.

His desire is to finalize a long-term contract – sooner, not later – that ensures the Colts are able to field a championship-caliber team, he said.

Manning conveyed that directive Thursday during a meeting with owner Jim Irsay and vice chairman Bill Polian, who is negotiating Manning’s contract with agent Tom Condon.

“While I appreciate Jim Irsay offering to make me the highest-paid player,’’ Manning told The Indianapolis Star, “I told him I’d rather he save that money and keep whoever it is . . . Joe Addai, Charlie Johnson, whoever that may be.

I’m willing to take less than they’ve offered if they are going to take that money to keep players we need to keep and go get other players. All I want is for them to have the cap and the cash to keep the players they want to keep and to sign other players.’’

Manning also instructed Irsay, Polian and Condon to get the contract done. Now.

“Today, tomorrow, definitely by Sunday,’’ he said.

THIS IS THE LINK(GOOD NEWS)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting, we could still make him the highest paid player, but he doesn't have to make 24M a year. He could make 20M a year, and give us 4M of extra cap space. It's good to see that Peyton doesn't seem to care too much about the money, he's a good loyal person!

interesting, we could still make him the highest paid player, but he doesn't have to make 24M a year. He could make 20M a year, and give us 4M of extra cap space. It's good to see that Peyton doesn't seem to care too much about the money, he's a good loyal person!

Say whatever you want to say about Peyton, he just wants to win another superbowl. He has been know to sometimes not be the nicest person to play with, but he is loyal. He is doing his part to make sure this team doesnt have its hands tied behind its back and can go out and sign who they need and keep who they need. Thats awesome Peyton. And can I say thank you too!!

Colts quarterback Peyton Manning insisted today that he isn’t driven by the desire to be the NFL’s highest-paid player and has no interest in being the reason the Indianapolis franchise is unable to make various roster moves.

His desire is to finalize a long-term contract – sooner, not later – that ensures the Colts are able to field a championship-caliber team, he said.

Manning conveyed that directive Thursday during a meeting with owner Jim Irsay and vice chairman Bill Polian, who is negotiating Manning’s contract with agent Tom Condon.

“While I appreciate Jim Irsay offering to make me the highest-paid player,’’ Manning told The Indianapolis Star, “I told him I’d rather he save that money and keep whoever it is . . . Joe Addai, Charlie Johnson, whoever that may be.

I’m willing to take less than they’ve offered if they are going to take that money to keep players we need to keep and go get other players. All I want is for them to have the cap and the cash to keep the players they want to keep and to sign other players.’’

Manning also instructed Irsay, Polian and Condon to get the contract done. Now.

“Today, tomorrow, definitely by Sunday,’’ he said.

THIS IS THE LINK(GOOD NEWS)

WHY DOESNT IRSAY / POLIAN LISTEN< IS IT PRIDE THAT HE SAID PEYTON WILL BE HIGHEST PAID AND FEELS HE MUST THEN DO SO< CANT BE THAT FOOLISH

Interesting the article says trying to keep Diem if he

" Right tackle Ryan Diem has been asked to take a cut from his $5.4 million salary, or be released."

& says right now colts trying to work out contract with addai & CJ, no one else mentioned

I also like the last line of that article. It said the Colts were in negotiations with Charlie Johnson and Joe Addai. It also said that Diem was asked to take a paycut or be released. WOOT WOOT! very good news! Lets get this done soon guys!

haha Bayone: you beat me to posting that by a few seconds. That's twice that's happened to me today

I also like the last line of that article. It said the Colts were in negotiations with Charlie Johnson and Joe Addai. It also said that Diem was asked to take a paycut or be released. WOOT WOOT! very good news! Lets get this done soon guys!

THATS WHY I POSRED ANOTHER TOPIC TALKING ABOUT ADDAI AND JOHNSON BEING RESIGNED NEGOTIATING AND RYAN DIEM CUT OR PAY CUT

POLIAN FINALLY MAKING MOVES LOOKS GOOD

In related news; the agent for Peyton Manning, Tom Condon, has come out and stated that he is no longer allowing his players to talk to the media because some, even though he refuses to name names, have lost their minds.

Heck no, Tom Condon has made his money and then some from Manning. He probably babysits for him! :)

Now where are all those posters that Called Peyton Money Hungry,Greedy, Only thinking of the Money and all that? Where are they now that this has come out. :excite: This sounds like the same thing that happened when he re-structered his contract prior to this. Maybe just maybe his agent is the greedy one in this deal and

Irsay saying he wanted to make him the highest paid player in the NFL. Who knows what the answer is but it will get done now for sure. Peyton has spoke and he has the final answer in this matter. :disco:

I'm just glad to see manning is pushing the issue to get this done and to ADD HELP. That is the key to this article get out there and grab us some players b/c Irsay said he would get Peyton help let's see it then. Also, lets be honest Diem is terrible he is mister false start. I think it's time to cut ties put charlie in his spot and put our 1st and second round pick on the left side of that line. What do you think?

I'm just glad to see manning is pushing the issue to get this done and to ADD HELP. That is the key to this article get out there and grab us some players b/c Irsay said he would get Peyton help let's see it then. Also, lets be honest Diem is terrible he is mister false start. I think it's time to cut ties put charlie in his spot and put our 1st and second round pick on the left side of that line. What do you think?

I need to look this up, but I have been told a couple times that Saturday has defended Diem on his false starts, saying if he didn't do the false starts, those players would have gotten through and hit Manning. Granted, maybe he isn't the greatest, but if that is the case, I am ok with it.

Hidden

I need to look this up, but I have been told a couple times that Saturday has defended Diem on his false starts, saying if he didn't do the false starts, those players would have gotten through and hit Manning. Granted, maybe he isn't the greatest, but if that is the case, I am ok with it.

Yeah, this is the same reason tarik glenn used to do this all the time:)

That doesn't make sense a false start happens before the play starts and last time I checked his job is to block if he can't do that then we don't need him just my thoughts. Also, yards are hard enough to get in this league let alone extra ones because of penalties.

THATS WHY I POSRED ANOTHER TOPIC TALKING ABOUT ADDAI AND JOHNSON BEING RESIGNED NEGOTIATING AND RYAN DIEM CUT OR PAY CUT

POLIAN FINALLY MAKING MOVES LOOKS GOOD

Bro, seriously, enough with the caps lock. You could say the smartest thing on the Internet and still be looked at sideways if it's all in caps lock. We get you're excited. Stop yelling.

I've been saying this all along. Mannings not money hungry and he understands to increase his odds of winning another SB he needs to surround himself with high caliber players.. Offensive and defensive. Im sure he'd love the extra dough, but he is the type of guy that would take a pay cut to keep good players around himself. Peytons a thinker, not a reactor. Way to take one for the team Peyton!

My problem with Ryan Diem isn't his false starts (it doesn't happen as much as people pretend it does, although it's too much). It's that he's not that good at what he does anymore, and his cap hit is over $5 million this season. If he were making 1/4 that amount, we wouldn't be calling for him to get cut.

My problem with Ryan Diem isn't his false starts (it doesn't happen as much as people pretend it does, although it's too much). It's that he's not that good at what he does anymore, and his cap hit is over $5 million this season. If he were making 1/4 that amount, we wouldn't be calling for him to get cut.

I think he is worth 2.5-4 million as insurance for the rookies for the next two years.

Right tackle Ryan Diem has been asked to take a cut from his $5.4 million salary, or be released.

That doesn't make sense a false start happens before the play starts and last time I checked his job is to block if he can't do that then we don't need him just my thoughts. Also, yards are hard enough to get in this league let alone extra ones because of penalties.

He probably means he sees something in the D that is not accounted for in the blocking assignments so he false starts so they can discuss the D and reset.