Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What other team could Tom Brady play for?

Sports Central1

I was thinking, if this is Tom's last year with the Patriots and Belichick decides to trade or cut him after the season because he feels his play has declined where they want to go with Garoppolo what teams would Tom possibly play for?

I highly doubt Tom will play out the remainder of his contract with the Pats till he's 41, he's playing like a 41 year old player now.  Former Patriots players in the media have said Tom will go when Bill decides, not when Tom decides.  I see the writing on the wall.  I think after this season he's either traded or cut.

The only teams I see him playing with are teams that desperately need a QB like the Texans, Vikings, Rams, Titans, Bucs, Bills, Dolphins, Jets.  Highly unlikely he goes to a division rival.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That might have been a big mistake for the Pats to have made that deal.  They could be the ones wishing they never signed that.

What exactly is it that you are seeing that has you so sure Brady is all done this year? He has had one bad half of football in two games against a divisional opponent. This team is still searching for its identity on offense and the outside guys really need to step it up. Like last year, I expect everything to come together by mid-season. Right now this defense is plenty good enough to help carry the day with the amount of TOs they are generating. In the end, it is about wins. And the days are over where the Pats are putting this offense as currently constricted on Brady's shoulders. The Oline is still a mess and the skill players are still coming along and Gronk is not close to 100 percent.

I honestly don't get why you keep harping on this. Brady is not going anywhere.

I was thinking, if this is Tom's last year with the Patriots and Belichick decides to trade or cut him after the season because he feels his play has declined where they want to go with Garoppolo what teams would Tom possibly play for?

I highly doubt Tom will play out the remainder of his contract with the Pats till he's 41, he's playing like a 41 year old player now. Former Patriots players in the media have said Tom will go when Bill decides, not when Tom decides. I see the writing on the wall. I think after this season he's either traded or cut.

The only teams I see him playing with are teams that desperately need a QB like the Texans, Vikings, Rams, Titans, Bucs, Bills, Dolphins, Jets. Highly unlikely he goes to a division rival.

Shocking that Faux started this thread .

/sarcasm off

What exactly is it that you are seeing that has you so sure Brady is all done this year? He has had one bad half of football in two games against a divisional opponent. This team is still searching for its identity on offense and the outside guys really need to step it up. Like last year, I expect everything to come together by mid-season. Right now this defense is plenty good enough to help carry the day with the amount of TOs they are generating. In the end, it is about wins. And the days are over where the Pats are putting this offense as currently constricted on Brady's shoulders. The Oline is still a mess and the skill players are still coming along and Gronk is not close to 100 percent.

I honestly don't get why you keep harping on this. Brady is not going anywhere.

You're focusing on this year, I'm not.  I never said for Brady to retire or step down now.  I'm talking about next season.  In football a player's decline is huge and drastic once they hit a certain age.  If we're seeing some chinks in Brady's armor now, well that is huge a year from now for a 38 year old.

I was thinking, if this is Tom's last year with the Patriots and Belichick decides to trade or cut him after the season because he feels his play has declined where they want to go with Garoppolo what teams would Tom possibly play for?

I highly doubt Tom will play out the remainder of his contract with the Pats till he's 41, he's playing like a 41 year old player now.  Former Patriots players in the media have said Tom will go when Bill decides, not when Tom decides.  I see the writing on the wall.  I think after this season he's either traded or cut.

The only teams I see him playing with are teams that desperately need a QB like the Texans, Vikings, Rams, Titans, Bucs, Bills, Dolphins, Jets.  Highly unlikely he goes to a division rival.

Do you know your own team's history> The Pats traded an IN PRIME Bledsoe to Buffalo. They would trade Brady to the team with the best offer and not hesitate.

You're focusing on this year, I'm not.  I never said for Brady to retire or step down now.  I'm talking about next season.  In football a player's decline is huge and drastic once they hit a certain age.  If we're seeing some chinks in Brady's armor now, well that is huge a year from now for a 38 year old.

Again, why are you focused on next year? The wheels can come off of any player over age 35. This could very well be Manning's last year as he is on a year to year contract unlike Brady. Like I said, $18 mil cap hit. Brady is not going anywhere next year.

Do you know your own team's history> The Pats traded an IN PRIME Bledsoe to Buffalo. They would trade Brady to the team with the best offer and not hesitate.

Oh I agree, but I got two Pats' fans here criticizing me over this thread.  They just don't want to let Brady go.  They think Brady next year and 2 years from now will still be elite.  I'm just posting a hypothetical as to why I doubt he will be elite after this season.

Oh I agree, but I got two Pats' fans here criticizing me over this thread.  They just don't want to let Brady go.  They think Brady next year and 2 years from now will still be elite.  I'm just posting a hypothetical as to why I doubt he will be elite after this season.

lol. So every starting QB in the league is elite? Stop already with this charade.

Honestly, given his extension, he is not going anywhere. He will only count $7 mil against the cap next year and cost the Pats a ton to release him. I think what most will realize is the deal the Pats did with Brady was maybe one of the best contracts to help keep an aging super star QB on the team and still win. I guess we will see. But it makes zero sense to do anything with Brady under his new deal. Now whether he wants to play under that deal is a different story but he signed it so I assume he will.

Again, why are you focused on next year? The wheels can come off of any player over age 35. This could very well be Manning's last year as he is on a year to year contract unlike Brady. Like I said, $18 mil cap hit. Brady is not going anywhere next year.

$18 mil cap hit.  Well you should know how the Pats operate.  They'll pressure and force Brady to restructure again during or after this season.  They play hard ball.

You don't seem to know Bill Belichick.  If Brady won't restructure he'll just keep Brady on the sidelines so they don't take the cap hit and play Garoppolo.

Belichick and Kraft aren't loyal to Brady.  They're not loyal to any individual player.  EVERYONE is expendable.

$18 mil cap hit.  Well you should know how the Pats operate.  They'll pressure and force Brady to restructure again during or after this season.  They play hard ball.

You don't seem to know Bill Belichick.  If Brady won't restructure he'll just keep Brady on the sidelines so they don't take the cap hit and play Garoppolo.

Belichick and Kraft aren't loyal to Brady.  They're not loyal to any individual player.  EVERYONE is expendable.

My goodness. You really don't know the Pats at all or football. I am out. This is just silly now.

Is he on the sidelines?

No he's gone.  That's the point.  Everyone at any moment with the Pats can be gone regardless of their contract.  If you don't renegotiate with the Pats when they want you're gone.  Mankins did call Kraft a liar too.

Jonathan Kraft says Mankins "seriously misspoke" about his dad...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/02/jonathan-kraft-says-mankins-seriously-misspoke-about-his-dad/

The Patriots WILL ask Brady to restructure his contract AGAIN.  Just watch.  If he doesn't he's gone.

No he's gone.  That's the point.  Everyone at any moment with the Pats can be gone regardless of their contract.  If you don't renegotiate with the Pats when they want you're gone.  Mankins did call Kraft a liar too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/02/jonathan-kraft-says-mankins-seriously-misspoke-about-his-dad/

The Patriots WILL ask Brady to restructure his contract AGAIN.  Just watch.  If he doesn't he's gone.

They did not ask him to restructure, he signed an extension. An unbelievably team friendly extension that will keep his cap hits under $10 mil for the next three seasons. The Pats would carry him at those numbers gladly. It is more Brady IMO and whether he plays for that amount. He signed it so I assume he will.

I have no clue on how much Brady's play has gotten worse. Football is a team game so that determines most of what a QB does or don't do. The Pats are not near the teams of the past and it shows. There were a lot of fans who wrote Manning off especially with the surgeries and look at what he has done over the last two seasons. He had his best season ever last year. Other than the knee problem one season Brady has had pretty good health so calling his demise is only speculation, not fact.

You need to do your homework on Brady and the Pats. As it stands right now the Pats will not eat the dead cap money it would be to cut Brady. You catch or read a rumor and run with it is what I don't understand.

If you follow the pats you would realize that Brady being traded after the end of this year is not something that is going to happen, unless the pats get a offer they cant refuse . . . perhaps after next season yes, given his low salary for years 4 and 5, he makes a good trade provided we get something in return that is desirable to the team . . .

as for being cut, not sure where that comment is common from, especially if you are one who is familiar with the pats . . . pats just don't given things away for free . . . if there is something to get in return, they will seek this . . .

As most teams already have a solid-elite QB, or in the process of developing one, the list will be a short one, just like it was with Manning and Favre.  I think Houston is an interesting option . . . we will have to wait and see, but I do not see this happening any earlier than the end of next year . . . I do see it as a possibility and it something that has been on my mind for some time now, even before the Manning/Luck discussions . . . we all love our HOF QBs but they do have a time limit and to date there are few that stay with their team until retirement . .

and too this issue is going be based on whether or not the QB in the wings is serviceable enough to start . . . if the pats feel that the backup is not much better than something they can get in the draft, Brady could stay till he retires, well past next year anyways . . . I do like Garoppolo and he seems like a keeper but it is only a few preseason games . . . had the pats wanted him for next year, you would of saw him in the game late in the 4th yesterday to take a few live game snaps . . .

As for Brady's decline not sure where you are coming from . . . perhaps his is not in his prime, but he did help get the Pats to the AFFCG with a former college QB from Kent State as his leading WR . . . and on top of this help lead his team to 12 wins, with the 4 remaining games being an OT loss with a dubious ST penalty, and the three remaining games being ones in which Brady helped the team to be in a position on a final drive of the game, in the opponents territory to win those three games . . . so when you find a QB that gets you 12 wins, and 3 of the 4 remaining games has the ball in his hands in the opponents territory for a win in the end, you might want to keep that QB, as QB with that kind of resume are rare and in fact there are only a few with that kind of resume from last year, maybe only 2 btw . . . but of coarse as a pats fan that you are, I need not have to explain this too you . . .

They did not ask him to restructure, he signed an extension. An unbelievably team friendly extension that will keep his cap hits under $10 mil for the next three seasons. The Pats would carry him at those numbers gladly. It is more Brady IMO and whether he plays for that amount. He signed it so I assume he will.

I'm surprised am football does not see fit to correct you. His cap # is not 7Mill  as you say in post 15 , nor is it under 10 million for any of the next 3 seasons as you say above. Please stop posting that crap because it's ridiculous and not even close to reality.

2104  14.8 mill

2015  13   mill

2016  14  mill

2017  15 mill

I'm surprised am football does not see fit to correct you. His cap # is not 7Mill  as you say in post 15 , nor is it under 10 million for any of the next 3 seasons as you say above. Please stop posting that crap because it's ridiculous and not even close to reality.

2104  14.8 mill

2015  13   mill

2016  14  mill

2017  15 mill

Sorry. I was referencing his base salaries. Didn't take into account the signing bonus. Still, that is well below market value for a QB of his stature. I have noticed that you really have a handle on the financials of teams. What would the cap hit be if the Pats cut him in 2015, 16 or 17?

Geez....and I thought some of our fans were bad...come on this is just getting rediculous now. Tom is not seeing significant decline...if any at all. Any drop in his numbers is a result of change in the offense (change on OL, losing playmakers like Moss, Welker, and Hernandez plus Gronk). If he had elite playmakers on the outside he would still be ranked in the top 3 QBs in the league in numbers. If Peyton Manning is perhaps getting better year by year at age 38 why can't Tom too? Trust me Peyton looks just as good at 38 as any season he had here in Indy....he has lost velocity on his throws no doubt but he isn't in decline because of it. Tom is doing just fine. Again 27/28 other teams in the league trade right now to get him.

Lastly what does having an "ELITE" qb have to do with winning a SB? I mean Seattle didn't have one last year, Baltimore didn't the year before....I mean the NFL history book is full of SB champs winning with probably perceived less than steller qbs. Best QB doesn't mean you win the SB.....you of all people should know this. You had perhaps the best qb in football in the last two SBs you went to and lost and I think it is safe to say in the first two Brady was no where near the best QB in football at that time. Probably on the 3rd would I say he was an elite QB and you won....so get over the fact you don't NEED an elite QB...you need a good one...one to get you to the playoffs and one that takes care of the ball and makes timely plays....that PERFECTLY described Tom back in the day....and NOW...so what are you on about? As a fan of another team I PRAY you get what you ask for....because the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I think Jimmy should make a fine qb...who knows...possibly a great one...but I think the drop off is significant and I think the chances he becomes anything close to what Tom is and has been is a long shot! Be happy you don't always get what you ask for....because you guys will be a SB contender for the next several years with Tom....it might be a long long time before you get back to the playoffs much less the SB without him.

As for Brady's decline not sure where you are coming from . . . perhaps his is not in his prime, but he did help get the Pats to the AFFCG with a former college QB from Kent State as his leading WR . . . and on top of this help lead his team to 12 wins, with the 4 remaining games being an OT loss with a dubious ST penalty, and the three remaining games being ones in which Brady helped the team to be in a position on a final drive of the game, in the opponents territory to win those three games . . . so when you find a QB that gets you 12 wins, and 3 of the 4 remaining games has the ball in his hands in the opponents territory for a win in the end, you might want to keep that QB, as QB with that kind of resume are rare and in fact there are only a few with that kind of resume from last year, maybe only 2 btw . . . but of coarse as a pats fan that you are, I need not have to explain this too you . . .

I agree with and understand most of what you posted in the first 3 paragraphs.  The last paragraph above is what I'm getting at.  What you posted is all based on previous seasons.  One season in the NFL is like 5 years off your life compared to most other sports.  Yes, Brady was GREAT in 2013.  He might be great in 2014.  But the drop off is quite substantial especially in football from year to year especially for a guy who's 37 and will be 38 next year.

People are predicting Brady will be just as good in the next 3 seasons as he was in 2013.  That's the dangerous thing.  That's all based on hypothetical and wishful thinking.  I do believe the odds are greater Brady's performance will drop off much more the next 3 years instead of flat line.

The only way I see Brady ever having another 2010 regular season is if the Pats load up on their offensive line in the draft and free agency to give Brady the time he needs in the pocket.  He really needs a lot of time in the pocket now more than ever.  The offensive line should be their #1 focus after this season.

My comments are inline with former Patriot players like Steve DeOssie who is much more fair in his critique of the team than Fred Smerlas is.

I believe it was 3.

Either way, Rogers is proof Garopolo sitting behind Brady for 3 years shouldn't hurt him if he's got the juice.

If we're entertaining this idea of Brady being traded, I see a best fit as a team that's a QB away with no solutions in sight (read: they aren't married to a QB either through big money or a high draft pick).

This eliminates:

-Seattle

-San Francisco

-Arizona

-Oakland

-San Diego

-Kansas City

-Minnesota

-Green Bay

-Detroit

-Pittsburgh

-Baltimore

-Cleveland

-Miami

-New York Giants

-Dallas

-Washington

-Philadelphia

-New Orleans

-Carolina

-Atlanta

-Indianapolis

-Jacksonville

That leaves:

-St. Louis: injury concerns at QB means Sam Bradford is probably done and they need an answer there to support a talented young defense

-Denver (conditionally): If Manning retires after this year (very possible), they will be up % creek without a paddle at the QB position. Brady would be a good quick fix

-Chicago (conditionally): Cutler needs to prove once and for all he's the guy. If he doesn't, I can see them making a move until they can get a more permanent solution in place.

-Cincinnati (conditionally): I know, I know, they just signed Dalton to that extension, but it's very team friendly if they decide he's not the guy and they want to move him.

-New York Jets: Raise your hand if you think Geno or Vick are the answer there. 

-Buffalo (conditionally): It would depend on how they feel about Manuel after this season

-Tampa: McCown is not the long term solution there, and the fact they brought him says how Lovie Smith feels about Glennon.

-Houston: They don't have the QB of the future on that roster (sorry Mallet fans, but I don't see it). Brady could stop gap until they get him.

-Tennessee: The eternal conundrum that is Jake Locker. Good when he's in, but he rarely is. If they encounter issues with Locker this year, the Titans will likely look to move on, and could make a move for a stop gap.

Real talk: The Pats won't move Brady, this is just an off the cuff nonesense list I put together because the thought experiment is interesting to me. Now that I've said that, the answers to who would get Brady.

The ironic location: St. Louis trades some of their excess draft picks they got from the RG3 deal to get Brady.

The facepalm location: NYJ. Just lolz.

The instant super bowl winner location: Cincinnati

The realistic location: Tampa or St. Louis.

Sorry. I was referencing his base salaries. Didn't take into account the signing bonus. Still, that is well below market value for a QB of his stature. I have noticed that you really have a handle on the financials of teams. What would the cap hit be if the Pats cut him in 2015, 16 or 17?

It (cap hit) goes down 6 mill per year.

2015  18 mill ....like AM said

2016   12 mill

2017    6 mill

For sure he signed a team friendly deal and I'm not aware of any other player in the NFL that signed two contracts below market  value. As far as where this thread appears to be going , my guess is Brady plays this year and next for sure. 

To answer your question though however unlikely it may be there is a long list of teams Tom would upgrade or could reasonably upgrade. Both NY teams, STL, Arizona, TB, Dallas, Washington, Philly, Buffalo, Miami, Cincy, Cleveland, Houston, Tennessee, JAX, Oakland, KC, Chicago, and Minnesota. Obviously some of those teams aren't in position to acquire him based on their own financial constraints but they all would be an upgrade easily to add him. Some wouldn't make sense because they are far out in their rebuild but overall he would upgrade any of those teams and likely could take several to the playoffs and some to the SB.

Geez....and I thought some of our fans were bad...come on this is just getting rediculous now. Tom is not seeing significant decline...if any at all. Any drop in his numbers is a result of change in the offense (change on OL, losing playmakers like Moss, Welker, and Hernandez plus Gronk). If he had elite playmakers on the outside he would still be ranked in the top 3 QBs in the league in numbers. If Peyton Manning is perhaps getting better year by year at age 38 why can't Tom too? Trust me Peyton looks just as good at 38 as any season he had here in Indy....he has lost velocity on his throws no doubt but he isn't in decline because of it. Tom is doing just fine. Again 27/28 other teams in the league trade right now to get him.

Lastly what does having an "ELITE" qb have to do with winning a SB? I mean Seattle didn't have one last year, Baltimore didn't the year before....I mean the NFL history book is full of SB champs winning with probably perceived less than steller qbs. Best QB doesn't mean you win the SB.....you of all people should know this. You had perhaps the best qb in football in the last two SBs you went to and lost and I think it is safe to say in the first two Brady was no where near the best QB in football at that time. Probably on the 3rd would I say he was an elite QB and you won....so get over the fact you don't NEED an elite QB...you need a good one...one to get you to the playoffs and one that takes care of the ball and makes timely plays....that PERFECTLY described Tom back in the day....and NOW...so what are you on about? As a fan of another team I PRAY you get what you ask for....because the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I think Jimmy should make a fine qb...who knows...possibly a great one...but I think the drop off is significant and I think the chances he becomes anything close to what Tom is and has been is a long shot! Be happy you don't always get what you ask for....because you guys will be a SB contender for the next several years with Tom....it might be a long long time before you get back to the playoffs much less the SB without him.

Your first paragraph is fair and I agree to an extent.  Part of that is due to the front office decisions, Hernandez's situation and Gronk's injuries.  It can also be a product of Josh McDaniel's game plan and scheme.

I just get the feeling Tom is in the coaches office venting to the coaches in private that he can't get on page with his WR's and on game day he purposely won't target Amendola.  It's almost as if he is giving Amendola the cold shoulder. During 2011 he had one Chad Johnson he could avoid, now he has 4 Chad Johnson's out there on the field.

You don't need to be elite or have an elite QB to win a SB.  But Russell Wilson is very good and can run and throw on the run.  He's not a statue.

My question is, how much is the Patriots' offense built around Tom's own ideas in what he wants it to be and does Tom have too much control over the offense and game planning?  Is he demanding things from the receivers that they can't do?  Since 2010 the outside WR's haven't performed in the Pats' system, it's almost as if they're just used as decoys.  Maybe that's because Tom isn't confident in throwing the long ball anymore.  Even if the Pats had Calvin Johnson and Julio Jones could Brady consistently get them the ball down field accurately?

Your first paragraph is fair and I agree to an extent.  Part of that is due to the front office decisions, Hernandez's situation and Gronk's injuries.  It can also be a product of Josh McDaniel's game plan and scheme.

I just get the feeling Tom is in the coaches office venting to the coaches in private that he can't get on page with his WR's and on game day he purposely won't target Amendola.  It's almost as if he is giving Amendola the cold shoulder. During 2011 he had one Chad Johnson he could avoid, now he has 4 Chad Johnson's out there on the field.

You don't need to be elite or have an elite QB to win a SB.  But Russell Wilson is very good and can run and throw on the run.  He's not a statue.

The Amendola thing is simply he isn't that good. People wanted to extrapolate his numbers out for a full season and say he could be amazing but it doesn't always work that way. He was the only legit target on a terrible team...his numbers were inflated and combine that with he had injury concerns and I think thats worrisome. Pats have a beautiful offense. I've never seen a team get guys SO wide open. I think they just don't have the right mix of receivers right now that fit the offense or understand it. Combine with some OL concerns that you guys NEVER experienced in the past and that means Tom doesn't trust his OL to throw accurately on those deep throws and he doesn't trust his receivers to be where they are suppose to be. He isn't going to force balls and risk turnovers...he is too smart for that. He would rather error in an incompletion than turn it over (ala Matt Cassel). They have put up like 24-30 pts in back to back weeks....I think they are just fine.

The Amendola thing is simply he isn't that good. People wanted to extrapolate his numbers out for a full season and say he could be amazing but it doesn't always work that way. He was the only legit target on a terrible team...his numbers were inflated and combine that with he had injury concerns and I think thats worrisome. Pats have a beautiful offense. I've never seen a team get guys SO wide open. I think they just don't have the right mix of receivers right now that fit the offense or understand it. Combine with some OL concerns that you guys NEVER experienced in the past and that means Tom doesn't trust his OL to throw accurately on those deep throws and he doesn't trust his receivers to be where they are suppose to be. He isn't going to force balls and risk turnovers...he is too smart for that. He would rather error in an incompletion than turn it over (ala Matt Cassel). They have put up like 24-30 pts in back to back weeks....I think they are just fine.

I do believe Amendola would possibly perform better with the Broncos and Colts under their system.

I think Brady tends to get too impatient too soon and gives up on players too quickly and throws them under the bus.  That famous confrontation Brady had with O'Brien on the sidelines in the Redskins' game and Brady last season chewing out his receivers.

If things don't go perfect to plan with Brady he throws tantrums.  After the game yesterday during the post game press conference Brady was down, looked depressed.  First time I ever seen him like that after a win, and that's a problem.  Most the super bowl winning teams through out a season "win ugly" and will take any win they can.  For years the Steelers, Giants, Ravens and last year the Seahawks won low scoring close games by only scoring 10 points total.  When the Pats were winning super bowls they had many low scoring wins and were excited after those wins.  I think ever since the 2007 season the Pats lost their way by expecting to put up 40 points a game and if they don't they consider that a let down.