Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nicks Vs Talib. We Should Take Advantage

krunk

I think Roby would be killed by Nicks.  Roby had trouble covering people in college and now he's being asked to cover a seasoned route runner like Nicks.  I think that's a mismatch.

Lol Roby is the guy who always get crap (and deservedly so) because he got burnt up and taken advantage of by Jared Abbrederis, a guy who probably isn't even on someone's PS right now. Having a rookie like that on a guy like Nicks would be asking for trouble.

But regardless of who is on who, let's be honest and say that their secondary can't stop our offense, IF luck has time to throw. Even if you put someone on Nicks and Wayne, whose got Hilton? Or if you account for those 3, Dwayne Allen will make it look easy against the LB's they'll have covering him. Or what if we rotate Whalen, Rodgers, and Moncrief in for a few snaps?

I'm not saying we should take them light, but in terms of our passing offense vs. their secondary, it's a mismatch.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Denver plays 5 defensive backs more than half the time..Von Miller, Nate Irving and Brandon Marshall (the other one) will be the LBs

..all undersized and very fast...but they'll use TJ Ward as a pseudo linebacker

Denver is BUILT for pass coverage ....

You want to run the ball....against their 6-man front...That's the problem here....Trent

Miller is 255, Irving 245, Marshall 240. They're not undersized, that's at least average.

They can want to run all day, but Denver has consistently been one of the best run defenses the last few years, even last year despite countless injuries. Denver's defense, especially when healthy, should be very good in all aspects. A below average RB like TR will be hard pressed to have any success.

Lol Roby is the guy who always get crap (and deservedly so) because he got burnt up and taken advantage of by Jared Abbrederis, a guy who probably isn't even on someone's PS right now. Having a rookie like that on a guy like Nicks would be asking for trouble.

But regardless of who is on who, let's be honest and say that their secondary can't stop our offense, IF luck has time to throw. Even if you put someone on Nicks and Wayne, whose got Hilton? Or if you account for those 3, Dwayne Allen will make it look easy against the LB's they'll have covering him. Or what if we rotate Whalen, Rodgers, and Moncrief in for a few snaps?

I'm not saying we should take them light, but in terms of our passing offense vs. their secondary, it's a mismatch.

Jared actually is on IR, Solid possession wr but has deceptive speed despite what his 40 says

Your right, it's not the same Denver team, and guess what, we're still better than them. They will be looking just like the Packers come Monday morning.

That's just false. Denver is better at every single position, and every head to head matchup favors them as well. Where does Indy have any advantage?

Abbrederis is with Green Bay, he tore his ACL so he's gone for the season.    Abbrederis is also a very good route runner who exploited Roby.  To me it certainly wouldn't bode well for Roby to be put on Nicks considering the same things.  I think there are certainly some good matchups that we have against the Broncos, but I respect the guys they have.  I just think we have more than enough to put some points on them for the W.  I mean we put up 39 against them with that substandard bunch we had on the O line last year.  The guys we have on the O line this year are better than that group.  Our skill positions at the WR and TE position this year are much better than last year. I think our improvements match the improvements the Broncos made on D.

People can talk to me about how improved the Broncos D is, but you can't tell me they are better than the Legion of Boom because they are not and we got the W. We've also seen Hali and Houston, Aldon Smith and Justin Smith, The Texans front 7,  Cameron Wake and Dion Jordan.    We've seen some formidable fronts and had success before so why should I wet my pants over Miller and Ware? We have enough to be successful I think.  I'm not promising blow outs or being disrespectful by saying they are not good. I'm just simply saying I see no reason for me to expect a blow out and nor do I see a reason to expect something else other than a W.  Losing is always a possibility, but I never expect to do so!

its gonna be a long day for talib because either he gets hilton or he gets nicks. good luck with that. I dont even know who their other corner is

Andrew is just going to have to make the throws because one of them is going to be open.  

Hopefully the oline can give him ~3 seconds.

I wonder if we have any plans of implementing any of those Jet Screens(or whatever they are called) like Seattle did the other night? I know Pep has spoken before about doing some sorts of read option.  If the running game is going okay we could possibly get a big gain out of it using T.Y. or Moncrief.  Fake the read option and hand off to the Jet Screen.  Moncrief had a nice little run on one of these in the preseason. At least I think it was a Jet Screen.

WR. TE, RB, DT, OLB, ILB, CB, and of course QB.

What? .....

Denver has a top 3-5 WR in Demaryius Thomas, the best slot WR in the game in Welker, a 2nd round rookie who has impressed all camp in Latimer, and then there are the solid vets Emmanuel Sanders and Andre Caldwell. Insurmountable advantage Denver.

TE.. Julius Thomas is a top 5 TE and is only getting better, big advantage denver.

RB..Richardson is one of the worst starters in the league. Ball has not proven to be a stud, but he is at least better than Trent. Denver wins here too, but it's close.

DT.. Knighton is one of the best 4-3 tackles in the league. Only McCoy, Suh, and Atkins are definitively better. Next to him is Williams, a 1st round rookie who has been throwing around what is arguably the best OL in football all camp. Advantage Denver.

OLB.. Denver has the second best defender in the league, Von Miller. He alone makes this a win for Denver. Then you add Trevathan, another top 10 4-3 OLB and it's hilarious this was even suggested.. Walden and Werner who? Lol..

I will give you ILB, because Irving is unproven, but let's not act like Jackson or freeman are anything more than average.

Denver has two of he 10 best corners in the league in Talib and Harris. Then there's a 1st round pick Roby, last years 3rd Webster and Carter who are average players. Vs Vontae and a bunch of below average players? Denver here.

QB goes without saying.. Denver again.

What? .....

Denver has a top 3-5 WR in Demaryius Thomas, the best slot WR in the game in Welker, a 2nd round rookie who has impressed all camp in Latimer, and then there are the solid vets Emmanuel Sanders and Andre Caldwell. Insurmountable advantage Denver.

TE.. Julius Thomas is a top 5 TE and is only getting better, big advantage denver.

RB..Richardson is one of the worst starters in the league. Ball has not proven to be a stud, but he is at least better than Trent. Denver wins here too, but it's close.

DT.. Knighton is one of the best 4-3 tackles in the league. Only McCoy, Suh, and Atkins are definitively better. Next to him is Williams, a 1st round rookie who has been throwing around what is arguably the best OL in football all camp. Advantage Denver.

OLB.. Denver has the second best defender in the league, Von Miller. He alone makes this a win for Denver. Then you add Trevathan, another top 10 4-3 OLB and it's hilarious this was even suggested.. Walden and Werner who? Lol..

I will give you ILB, because Irving is unproven, but let's not act like Jackson or freeman are anything more than average.

Denver has two of he 10 best corners in the league in Talib and Harris. Then there's a 1st round pick Roby, last years 3rd Webster and Carter who are average players. Vs Vontae and a bunch of below average players? Denver here.

LOL, go back to the Bronco's forum, your homerism will be more appreciated there.

Miller is 255, Irving 245, Marshall 240. They're not undersized, that's at least average.

They can want to run all day, but Denver has consistently been one of the best run defenses the last few years, even last year despite countless injuries. Denver's defense, especially when healthy, should be very good in all aspects. A below average RB like TR will be hard pressed to have any success.

..they are not 6-foot-5 and 260 pounders..

By the way, Von Miller better not be 255 pounds Sunday or the Colts will run him ragged

,.and you missed the point

Denver will have just 2 LBs on the field most of the time ..you have to run against that 4-2-5 set to beat them.

Throwing 45-50 times is nt an option against Denver

The Trent issue remains to be seen, but I have great confidence in Bradshaw and even Boom Herron.  Those two guys know how to find a hole and explode through it even if the Trent experiment is floundering.  I assume Pep will be smart enough to snatch him, or use him more on passing downs if (Trent) isn't showing any progress.  I don't think we have to have a dominating running game on these guys, just enough to make them honor the play action so we can score.  Remember we changed our philosophy from "No Coast" to "Coast to Coast"  No one said anything about Coast to Coast literally, but the meaning is we are trying to score as many points as possible instead of trying hold the ball all day keeping the score close.

I;m anxious to see Coast to Coast.....Its risky here with the speed of Denver's offense and the thin air that wears down the visitors

But I agree....Bradhsaw can change the game with 20 carries and 100 yards

San Diego's success vs. denver is keeping the game slow and the clock running

What? .....

Welker is suspended for 4 games. So you have one receiver and one TE. Good job. Von miller hasn't been the same since getting off the juice ala Shawn merriman. So really only edge you have is an aging, happy foot manning.

You're kidding, right?

Reggie will have a tough time with Talib and Harris is the equal of Hilton

Roby may not start ///2nd year guy Kavyon Webster will get the call much of the time

..but they may have 6 or 7 guys to cover 5....because that Front 4 is going to be very tough to handle

I wonder if we have any plans of implementing any of those Jet Screens(or whatever they are called) like Seattle did the other night? I know Pep has spoken before about doing some sorts of read option.  If the running game is going okay we could possibly get a big gain out of it using T.Y. or Moncrief.  Fake the read option and hand off to the Jet Screen.  Moncrief had a nice little run on one of these in the preseason. At least I think it was a Jet Screen.

I hear you

You run that (or fake it) to Miller's side and he has to pause

You're kidding, right?

Reggie will have a tough time with Talib and Harris is the equal of Hilton

Roby may not start ///2nd year guy Kavyon Webster will get the call much of the time

..but they may have 6 or 7 guys to cover 5....because that Front 4 is going to be very tough to handle

Yeah but it's been well documented that Talib can't handle small shifty guys and Aqib. So you can say he'll hold Wayne in check but other guys will be free. And Harris is good but he's coming off an ACL injury and let's not forget all the good corners Hilton has burnt. But even so, it's always a mismatch in a 3 receiver set. You leave any of those 3 open and it's a bad day for the opposing team. God help them if we go into a 4 WR set.

The front 7 is very imposing, but I'll stand by what I said. In the passing game, it's a mismatch. Too many weapons, and I didn't even get to the TE's.

I remember that Patriots game in the regular season(not the one in the playoffs) a couple of years ago when the Pats still had Randy Moss and they kept putting him in the slot a whole lot in the first half throwing touch down after touch down against us before we came back and Reggie caught the game winner at the end.   I'm wondering if we could repeat what they did with Moss in our game against Denver with Moncrief or Da'rick Rogers getting up on those safeties.  Hopefully at least one or both of them are active on gameday.  Man so many match ups to think about!

I'm famous on the Broncos forum now :)

I just like the thread title, someone seems insecure ;)

Thread: Colts Fans: "WR. TE, RB, DT, OLB, ILB, CB, and of course QB are better"

Yes. Some there are trying to start a forum war, I suppose. 

There's not going to be a whole lot of honesty in a staunchly 2-sided discussion like this. For one, someone should remind Denver fans about Peyton's penchant for making average players seem great *cough cough Julius Thomas.

DT, He's good but I'm not understanding how this guy is being seen by Denver fans as a great WR. Good, yes. Great, no. 

I find this sort of thing to be juvenile. Is anyone surprised that Colts fans may stick up for their team, maybe even exaggerate? 

Personally I think Denver is the better, more prepared team. But this Colts squad is so hot/cold, I'll never count them out. 

Yes. Some there are trying to start a forum war, I suppose. 

There's not going to be a whole lot of honesty in a staunchly 2-sided discussion like this. For one, someone should remind Denver fans about Peyton's penchant for making average players seem great *cough cough Julius Thomas.

DT, He's good but I'm not understanding how this guy is being seen by Denver fans as a great WR. Good, yes. Great, no. 

I find this sort of thing to be juvenile. Is anyone surprised that Colts fans may stick up for their team, maybe even exaggerate? 

Personally I think Denver is the better, more prepared team. But this Colts squad is so hot/cold, I'll never count them out. 

Vontae has trouble with guys like Andre Johnson and A.J. Green. To me Demarious Thomas is neither one of those guys when it comes to being crafty and savvy.  I think Vontae is going to give Thomas trouble again on Sunday unless they do some things to get him off the coverage.

Denver has been extremely good against the run the past couple seasons..... really ever since Jack Del Rio was hired.  One of his often droned credos is 'No one runs on us'.  It's part of the philosophy of the scheme in general.  Doesn't mean it always happens but they absolutely emphasize it constantly, and the front 7 hold themselves accountable there.

Yes the Broncos will have an extra guy on the backside more than the front. 2c

I'm not sure it's fair to say the Broncos can't stop this or that.  Or that the Colt's can't stop Manning.  It's a new season and as it is for all NFL fans, anything is possible in week 1.  I'd feel comfortable calling these 2 teams an even match if on neutral field. 

Even week 2 brings a LOT more comfort in evaluating teams.  Week 1 is just a crap shoot baring 1/3 of the teams.

Football is back!  I couldn't sleep last night because of it.  Tossing and Turning.... got up early, washed the dogs ... sheez still got 3hrs to go.  I love this time of year.