Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian regrets not drafting Andy Dalton

rabidfan77

So, you think "average to good QB play" could have got us 3 or 4 more wins and you think Andy Dalton would have been "average to good" for us in 2011, as a rookie, yet he equals +6 wins. Roger that.

Yup.  Well I don't think Dalton would have helped us at all but he would have helped the Colts.

But you're are correct, I originally typed in average 3-4 more wins but then I went back and changed it to average to good and I meant to change the numbers to 3-4 wins average 4-6 for good QB play and when I came back to the post I just hit "post" rather than proof reading it.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. Well I don't think Dalton would have helped us at all but he would have helped the Colts.

But you're are correct, I originally typed in average 3-4 more wins but then I went back and changed it to average to good and I meant to change the numbers to 3-4 wins average 4-6 for good QB play and when I came back to the post I just hit "post" rather than proof reading it.

Are you poking fun of me for using "us" to refer to the Colts? Come on, Coffee, are we as fans not allowed to claim "our" team?

Anyway, I'm just glad "we" didn't have to find out what kind of a difference Dalton would have made in 2011 because than "we'd" likely be stuck with him and Polian.

Are you poking fun of me for using "us" to refer to the Colts? Come on, Coffee, are we as fans not allowed to claim "our" team?

Anyway, I'm just glad "we" didn't have to find out what kind of a difference Dalton would have made in 2011 because than "we'd" likely be stuck with him and Polian.

I poke fun at anyone who uses "us" when referring to a sports team.  I have a Keurig coffeemaker and I spend a lot of money on the K-cups to be used in a Keurig machine... I don't go around saying "We sure made a great coffeemaker." 

Like I stated, I'm glad how things turned out, although I've not yet convinced that Grigs is a good GM, not saying he is a bad GM, nor am I saying he can't get better, I just don't think he's been that great.

I poke fun at anyone who uses "us" when referring to a sports team. I have a Keurig coffeemaker and I spend a lot of money on the K-cups to be used in a Keurig machine... I don't go around saying "We sure made a great coffeemaker."

Like I stated, I'm glad how things turned out, although I've not yet convinced that Grigs is a good GM, not saying he is a bad GM, nor am I saying he can't get better, I just don't think he's been that great.

Well, I assume you also don't root for your coffeemaker as it's brewing the coffee and post on Keurig forums year round, even in the coffee offseason(or maybe you do).

We are emotionally invested in the Colts are you emotionally invested in Keurig? If Keurig's quality drops you jump to a competitor, no problem, but if the Colts become the Browns you won't jump ship, you'll ride it out because the Colts are your team.

I understand your stance but I think it's perfectly acceptable for sports fan to refer to their favorite team as "their" team.

Well, I assume you also don't root for your coffeemaker as it's brewing the coffee and post on Keurig forums year round, even in the coffee offseason(or maybe you do), but point taken.

I'm sticking with "we", "us", "our", etc. It's "my" team, dammit!

Have you seen my moniker? Unfortunately, on the Keurig forum "coffeedrinker" was already taken. :)

And if the world was thrown into chaos tomorrow and we went back to living on 1850 technology, I would miss football a lot but you can bet I'd figure out a way to make a cup of coffee. 

And, no I don't expected any USers {pronounced uhh' sirs} to change.

Have you seen my moniker? Unfortunately, on the Keurig forum "coffeedrinker" was already taken. :)

And if the world was thrown into chaos tomorrow and we went back to living on 1850 technology, I would miss football a lot but you can bet I'd figure out a way to make a cup of coffee.

And, no I don't expected any USers {pronounced uhh' sirs} to change.

Fair enough, just...

tumblr_lqu4e8mXrE1qajqxto1_500.gif

edit: I edited my previous post before I saw your reply. Ignore it.

A blind fool can see the difference between young Peyton and Dalton. Terrible comparison.

Next we'll compare Picasso's art to a 4 year old's doodles on a TGI Friday's children's menu.

I wasn't comparing the 2, just using Peyton as an example. The fact that he is so good, yet it took even him 6 years to get a playoff victory is a testament to how difficult it is to actually beat teams come the postseason. Thanks for just completely, publicy putting me on blast though, it totally made my Friday.

There was a lot of speculation we would take Dalton that year. I'm willing to bet that Costanzo was the only player left on Polian's board above Dalton.

I don't necessarily think Polian is wrong, or just pulling stuff out of the air the way he did with the Kyle Orton comments. Dalton would have outperformed the farce we had under center in 2011, and Peyton would have been back the next season. Or, we still would have released Peyton and went with Dalton. He's not terrible. Under either scenario, Polian would have remained on the job for the 2012 season in my opinion. 

But it was still only a matter of time until the Polians were run out. It was just time for a change.

Polian says these sorts of things because I'm sure he feels the need to defend his legacy. He put together a top 3 NFL organization for over a decade. And then after just one down year amidst an UNPRECEDENTED run of success, he was painted as the scapegoat for every bit of it, and sent packing. After so much success you would think he would be allowed a mulligan or two before being thrown out on the street. Every other GM and coach in the league is. 

There was a lot of speculation we would take Dalton that year. I'm willing to bet that Costanzo was the only player left on Polian's board above Dalton.

I don't necessarily think Polian is wrong, or just pulling stuff out of the air the way he did with the Kyle Orton comments. Dalton would have outperformed the farce we had under center in 2011, and Peyton would have been back the next season. Or, we still would have released Peyton and went with Dalton. He's not terrible. Under either scenario, Polian would have remained on the job for the 2012 season in my opinion. 

But it was still only a matter of time until the Polians were run out. It was just time for a change.

Polian says these sorts of things because I'm sure he feels the need to defend his legacy. He put together a top 3 NFL organization for over a decade. And then after just one down year amidst an UNPRECEDENTED run of success, he was painted as the scapegoat for every bit of it, and sent packing. After so much success you would think he would be allowed a mulligan or two before being thrown out on the street. Every other GM and coach in the league is. 

I think that particular defense of Polian (not sure if you were intending to defend him or not) kind of misses the point, though. Most teams don't go 0-13 without their starting QB. What the 2011 season showed was just how bare the cupboard was, both with player personnel and on the coaching staff. 

And then, there's what you mentioned about how it was just a matter of time, most likely. Can't imagine that the Polians would have lasted very much longer, especially with Jim Caldwell as the head coach.

Like you, I believe a lot of what Polian has said lately has to do with him defending his legacy. Irsay's comments about wanting a more complete team obviously irked Polian, and he seems to want to remind people that his teams had a lot of success whenever he gets a chance. By reducing his dismissal to one issue, one decision, he seems to think he's redeeming himself to some extent. In truth, the problem with the Colts was a lot bigger than the backup QB situation, and that's obvious when you look at the roster turnover in the three seasons since he left. There are only a handful of Polian-era players that have left here and gone on to play well for other teams. 

Laugh at McCown all you want. His half season last year was better football than Dalton has ever played, maybe it was a fluke or his supporting cast, but it was still more impressive than anything I've seen from Dalton.

You can argue he's better than Bradford, Glennon, and McCown for sure but the rest of the list feels like your trying really hard just to list enough to prove me wrong.

"Laugh at McCown all you want. His half season last year was better football than Dalton has ever played,"

:funny: Come on, It was only a few games , Anyway lets get serious for a minute. My top 10 QB's would be(stats aside):

1.Peyton Manning

2.Aaron Rodgers

3.Drew Brees

4.Ben Roethlisberger(He has had some good wr's, None the likes of Roddy White and Julio Jones and a TE by the name of Tony Gonzalez)

5.Matt Ryan

6.Tony Romo

7.Phillip Rivers

8.Andrew Luck

9.Russell Wilson

10.Andy Dalton

And after 3 it all changes constantly

"Laugh at McCown all you want. His half season last year was better football than Dalton has ever played,"

:funny: Come on, It was only a few games , Anyway lets get serious for a minute. My top 10 QB's would be(stats aside):

1.Peyton Manning

2.Aaron Rodgers

3.Drew Brees

4.Ben Roethlisberger(He has had some good wr's, None the likes of Roddy White and Julio Jones and a TE by the name of Tony Gonzalez)

5.Matt Ryan

6.Tony Romo

7.Phillip Rivers

8.Andrew Luck

9.Russell Wilson

10.Andy Dalton

And after 3 it all changes constantly

So you're saying Dalton is your 11th QB? I assume you left Brady out by accident.

So you're saying Dalton is your 11th QB? I assume you left Brady out by accident.

1.Peyton

2.Brady

3.Rodgers

4.Brees

5.Roethlisberger

6.Ryan

7.Romo

8.Rivers

9.Luck

10.Wilson

11.Dalton

Yeah I knew I was forgetting a big name in there, Just cant believe it was Brady, Not good at typing many lists out like this, To many names to remember

1.Peyton

2.Brady

3.Rodgers

4.Brees

5.Roethlisberger

6.Ryan

7.Romo

8.Rivers

9.Luck

10.Wilson

11.Dalton

Yeah I knew I was forgetting a big name in there, Just cant believe it was Brady, Not good at typing many lists out like this, To many names to remember

You have Romo and Dalton and no Eli?.

Is this rating based on overall career of the current players or just last year?.

You have Romo and Dalton and no Eli?.

Is this rating based on overall career of the current players or just last year?.

Overall play stats aside, I think he is a solid QB and I debated putting him in my top 11, But I think Romo is at least as good as Eli and the same with Dalton

Overall play stats aside, I think he is a solid QB and I debated putting him in my top 11, But I think Romo is at least as good as Eli and the same with Dalton

No matter how you look at it, just the clutch performances from Eli should cross him over Dalton and Romo.

I think that particular defense of Polian (not sure if you were intending to defend him or not) kind of misses the point, though. Most teams don't go 0-13 without their starting QB. What the 2011 season showed was just how bare the cupboard was, both with player personnel and on the coaching staff. 

And then, there's what you mentioned about how it was just a matter of time, most likely. Can't imagine that the Polians would have lasted very much longer, especially with Jim Caldwell as the head coach.

Like you, I believe a lot of what Polian has said lately has to do with him defending his legacy. Irsay's comments about wanting a more complete team obviously irked Polian, and he seems to want to remind people that his teams had a lot of success whenever he gets a chance. By reducing his dismissal to one issue, one decision, he seems to think he's redeeming himself to some extent. In truth, the problem with the Colts was a lot bigger than the backup QB situation, and that's obvious when you look at the roster turnover in the three seasons since he left. There are only a handful of Polian-era players that have left here and gone on to play well for other teams. 

I don't mean to necessarily defend Polian, but I cannot blame him either. He put together a great set of pieces to run the systems Dungy wanted to run. That's why we saw a healthy amount of guys who contributed here leave and go elsewhere and quickly fade out. 

But when caldwell and his band of merry misfits took over their systems didn't exactly fit the personnel (here, or anywhere else, for that matter) and they started asking the players to do things that just didn't play to their strengths. Had they stuck to the systems that they took over (The way I believe was the plan all along) I don't think 2011 would have been near the mess it was. 

That coaching staff was just bad. Bad bad bad.

I don't mean to necessarily defend Polian, but I cannot blame him either. He put together a great set of pieces to run the systems Dungy wanted to run. That's why we saw a healthy amount of guys who contributed here leave and go elsewhere and quickly fade out. 

But when caldwell and his band of merry misfits took over their systems didn't exactly fit the personnel (here, or anywhere else, for that matter) and they started asking the players to do things that just didn't play to their strengths. Had they stuck to the systems that they took over (The way I believe was the plan all along) I don't think 2011 would have been near the mess it was. 

Caldwell went 24-8 as Colts head coach http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Indianapolis_Colts_season#Roster

The above link is the Colts 2008 roster

This second link is of the Colts 2009 roster......See a VERY important name missing that was on that '08 team? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Indianapolis_Colts_season

All it took was for Peyton to go down and the team was going to crash and burn regardless if it was Caldwell as coach or Dungy. The hate Caldwell gets is really comical to be honest

I absolutely feel offended when I hear People describe Caldwell as "leading" the Colts to a Super Bowl. We got there in 2009 for one reason and one reason only. Peyton Manning. Caldwell was so incompetent, that his calls were a principle culprit in our being defeated in the 2010 playoffs (Jets). 

You're right, however, about the bad fits that we saw under Caldwell. Dallas Clark being consistently asked to pass block in 2011 was just sickening. 

Caldwell went 24-8 as Colts head coach http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Indianapolis_Colts_season#Roster

The above link is the Colts 2008 roster

This second link is of the Colts 2009 roster......See a VERY important name missing that was on that '08 team? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Indianapolis_Colts_season

All it took was for Peyton to go down and the team was going to crash and burn regardless if it was Caldwell as coach or Dungy. The hate Caldwell gets is really comical to be honest

Caldwell was 26-22 as the colts coach

:funny: Come on, It was only a few games , Anyway lets get serious for a minute. My top 10 QB's would be(stats aside):

1.Peyton Manning

2.Aaron Rodgers

3.Drew Brees

5.Matt Ryan

6.Tony Romo

7.Phillip Rivers

8.Andrew Luck

9.Russell Wilson

10.Andy Dalton

And after 3 it all changes constantly

8 games with 5 starts and 224 attempts, compare that to Russell Wilson's 407 attempts through 16 starts. It's a solid sample size. Again, though, McCown is just one guy and I've admitted he's kind of my wild card.

You're a fan of Dalton. That's great. I'm clearly not. I think you are taking him over a bunch of guys who are easily better than him (Foles, RG3 - when healthy, Stafford, Alex Smith, Kaep), especially in the playoffs (Eli, Flacco, Kaep), or at least right up there with him (Tannehill - much better upside than Dalton imo, Glennon - solid rookie year with a terrible Bucs team/offense, Bradford).

I respect your opinion and I'm not going to try and change it because I can't, not any more than you can change mine.

If they had continued running a true Cover 2, instead of whatever Larry Coyer was trying to do, the defense wouldn't have been as bad in 2011. But the roster still wasn't very good.

I liked the changes in 2009. After that, the coaching staff was just out of their depth.