Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Emmanuel Sanders: Peyton far better leader than Ben

amfootball

Ouch, bad PR move by Sanders. Besides, did anyone NOT know that already? Manning has a well-known and well-documented work ethic, while Big Ben usually shows up looking like he's been on the scotch and bologna diet during the off-season. 

Yeah, totally out of shape.

BtfxU6PCMAAWq6D.jpg

Wait a minute...  :scratch:

Getting on a team with the best defense in the league doesn't hurt.

Because the best defenses also run the ball, catch passes and block for the QB. Wait a minute...  :scratch:

For years, that defense was virtually all the help that Roethlisberger had. Without it, Heath Miller and Maurkice Pouncey were all he had left, and he didn't even have Pouncey in 2008 or 2009. And I don't want to hear about how great his WRs supposedly were; Hines Ward was exiting his prime as Roethlisberger was entering his. And what have Santonio Holmes and Mike Wallace done without Roethlisberger throwing them the ball, aside from starting a dumpster fire in the Jets locker room (Holmes), or appearing at or near the top of the list of the worst free agent acquisitions in 2013 (Wallace)? For that matter, did anybody think Jerricho Cotchery would be on the short list of WRs with 10+ TD catches last season? I like Cotchery, but he's not catching 10 TDs from Cam Newton this season. Quite frankly, there's been no position on the Steelers more overrated than WR in the last six years, even despite the (recent) emergence of Antonio Brown.

The offensive line was laughably bad for years. Four of the five starting offensive linemen for the Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII are now out of the NFL, and none of them on their own terms either. In fact, the entire starting interior offensive line was out of the league within three years of that Super Bowl. It gets even better; the Steelers had the most penalized offensive line in the NFL in 2010, and they had more starting offensive line permutations than any other team in the NFL in 2011 and 2012. Of the 11 offensive linemen to start at least 10 games for the Steelers between 2008 and 2012, only two of them are still with the team today. Of the nine who are no longer with the Steelers, five of them flunked out of the NFL, and only one of the remaining four is even good enough to start for another team.

Of the eight RBs to carry the ball for the Steelers between 2008 and 2012, none of them are with the team anymore, and only one of them is still in the NFL, as a backup to boot. Only one of the other seven RBs even made it to his 30th birthday in a football uniform. And I'll forever have a special place in my sigmoid colon for Rashard Mendenhall, hands-down the worst first-round draft pick of the Kevin Colbert era (2000-present). After the Steelers told him to get lost, the Cardinals were the only team to even offer him a contract, and it was a one-year contract. Then after the Cardinals decided to move on from him, he "retired" so he didn't have to find out that nobody wanted him. His most memorable play in the NFL is a fumble. That's all anybody needs to know about his career.

And I don't even need to talk about Bruce Arians since you all saw how his play-calling got Andrew Luck annihilated. Multiply that by five to get an idea of what Roethlisberger dealt with. It's no coincidence that the two lowest sack percentages of Roethlisberger's career are the two seasons after the Steelers told Arians to get lost; it's no coincidence that Roethlisberger had his most TD passes since 2007 last season after the talent on the rest of the offense improved to average, and it's no coincidence that the Steelers averaged 27.9 points per game in the second half of last season after the coaches gave him more control of the offense. Furthermore, the fact that the Steelers won six of their last eight and eight of their last 12 despite the defense unraveling ought to indicate that Roethlisberger doesn't necessarily need a dominant defense to succeed. Just give him the keys to the offense and some halfway-decent weapons, and enjoy the show.

His TD/INT ratio over the last two seasons is 54/22 despite missing three games in 2012, and having to learn a whole new system of offense amid massive roster turnover. For that matter, he's the only QB in the NFL to be a full-time starter both seasons and not throw a single red-zone INT in either. And whatever scoring problem the Steelers have had the last two seasons has nothing to do with the passing game; they rank 9th in TD passes over the last two seasons, but 31st in non-passing TDs (running game, defense, special teams). Only the Jaguars have scored fewer non-passing TDs in that period of time, and they're averaging a 3-13 record in that period of time instead of 8-8 like the Steelers.

Yeah, I went off on a massive tangent, but I'm sick and tired of always hearing about how awesome the Steelers defense was without any consideration whatsoever for the giant clusterf___ of an offense that Roethlisberger had to deal with for years, and I hope that I was able to illustrate just how bad it really was. As for the primary topic of discussion, Roethlisberger spent the first part of this past off-season working on routes and timing with his young WRs out in California. If that's not leadership or a good work ethic, then what is? And it's a good thing that Peyton Manning is such a good leader, because Emmanuel Sanders needs to be led. Last season he killed more than one drive with dropped passes, including two TDs, and he directly contributed to a loss by dropping a game-tying two-point conversion attempt that hit him square in the hands late in the fourth quarter against the Ravens last Thanksgiving.

saunders440f6a706700ed3c.jpg

Good luck, Emmanuel. You'll need it.

Super Bowl records

Peyton - 1-3 including the epic choke against N.O. and the epic beat down by Seattle in which Denver was heavily favored

Big Ben - 2-1, including a 21-3 beat down that became a close game.

At least the Steelers didn't roll over and ask to get blown out as bad as Denver did who played that Super Bowl as if they didn't even care after half time.

Oh and Big Ben don't have the stats, cause he don't need them. 2 rings is still better than the one Peyton has, which Dungy gets absolutely zero credit for at all.

Getting on a team with the best defense in the league doesn't hurt.

And Manning never had stellar defenses in Indy?

You guys depress me how you down your own team and pretend that man did everything. Dungy gets no credit for anything, it's all Manning that supposedly carried those Colts teams, never mind the fact that their defense was impressive most of the time.

Denver is supposed to be a great defense too cause you know, John Fox and Jack Del Rio became geniuses after Manning went there.

Ouch, bad PR move by Sanders. Besides, did anyone NOT know that already? Manning has a well-known and well-documented work ethic, while Big Ben usually shows up looking like he's been on the scotch and bologna diet during the off-season. 

haha  I love your posts... 

Because the best defenses also run the ball, catch passes and block for the QB. Wait a minute... :scratch:

For years, that defense was virtually all the help that Roethlisberger had. Without it, Heath Miller and Maurkice Pouncey were all he had left, and he didn't even have Pouncey in 2008 or 2009. And I don't want to hear about how great his WRs supposedly were; Hines Ward was exiting his prime as Roethlisberger was entering his. And what have Santonio Holmes and Mike Wallace done without Roethlisberger throwing them the ball, aside from starting a dumpster fire in the Jets locker room (Holmes), or appearing at or near the top of the list of the worst free agent acquisitions in 2013 (Wallace)? For that matter, did anybody think Jerricho Cotchery would be on the short list of WRs with 10+ TD catches last season? I like Cotchery, but he's not catching 10 TDs from Cam Newton this season. Quite frankly, there's been no position on the Steelers more overrated than WR in the last six years, even despite the (recent) emergence of Antonio Brown.

The offensive line was laughably bad for years. Four of the five starting offensive linemen for the Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII are now out of the NFL, and none of them on their own terms either. In fact, the entire starting interior offensive line was out of the league within three years of that Super Bowl. It gets even better; the Steelers had the most penalized offensive line in the NFL in 2010, and they had more starting offensive line permutations than any other team in the NFL in 2011 and 2012. Of the 11 offensive linemen to start at least 10 games for the Steelers between 2008 and 2012, only two of them are still with the team today. Of the nine who are no longer with the Steelers, five of them flunked out of the NFL, and only one of the remaining four is even good enough to start for another team.

Of the eight RBs to carry the ball for the Steelers between 2008 and 2012, none of them are with the team anymore, and only one of them is still in the NFL, as a backup to boot. Only one of the other seven RBs even made it to his 30th birthday in a football uniform. And I'll forever have a special place in my sigmoid colon for Rashard Mendenhall, hands-down the worst first-round draft pick of the Kevin Colbert era (2000-present). After the Steelers told him to get lost, the Cardinals were the only team to even offer him a contract, and it was a one-year contract. Then after the Cardinals decided to move on from him, he "retired" so he didn't have to find out that nobody wanted him. His most memorable play in the NFL is a fumble. That's all anybody needs to know about his career.

And I don't even need to talk about Bruce Arians since you all saw how his play-calling got Andrew Luck annihilated. Multiply that by five to get an idea of what Roethlisberger dealt with. It's no coincidence that the two lowest sack percentages of Roethlisberger's career are the two seasons after the Steelers told Arians to get lost; it's no coincidence that Roethlisberger had his most TD passes since 2007 last season after the talent on the rest of the offense improved to average, and it's no coincidence that the Steelers averaged 27.9 points per game in the second half of last season after the coaches gave him more control of the offense. Furthermore, the fact that the Steelers won six of their last eight and eight of their last 12 despite the defense unraveling ought to indicate that Roethlisberger doesn't necessarily need a dominant defense to succeed. Just give him the keys to the offense and some halfway-decent weapons, and enjoy the show.

His TD/INT ratio over the last two seasons is 54/22 despite missing three games in 2012, and having to learn a whole new system of offense amid massive roster turnover. For that matter, he's the only QB in the NFL to be a full-time starter both seasons and not throw a single red-zone INT in either. And whatever scoring problem the Steelers have had the last two seasons has nothing to do with the passing game; they rank 9th in TD passes over the last two seasons, but 31st in non-passing TDs (running game, defense, special teams). Only the Jaguars have scored fewer non-passing TDs in that period of time, and they're averaging a 3-13 record in that period of time instead of 8-8 like the Steelers.

Yeah, I went off on a massive tangent, but I'm sick and tired of always hearing about how awesome the Steelers defense was without any consideration whatsoever for the giant clusterf___ of an offense that Roethlisberger had to deal with for years, and I hope that I was able to illustrate just how bad it really was. As for the primary topic of discussion, Roethlisberger spent the first part of this past off-season working on routes and timing with his young WRs out in California. If that's not leadership or a good work ethic, then what is? And it's a good thing that Peyton Manning is such a good leader, because Emmanuel Sanders needs to be led. Last season he killed more than one drive with dropped passes, including two TDs, and he directly contributed to a loss by dropping a game-tying two-point conversion attempt that hit him square in the hands late in the fourth quarter against the Ravens last Thanksgiving.

saunders440f6a706700ed3c.jpg

Good luck, Emmanuel. You'll need it.

I'm with you on most of your points. I am a big fan of Big Ben on the field. He is tough and he does whatever is necessary to win. He does not need to throw 50 passes like Brady seems to do every week to win. I think he is HOF-worthy.

Now, off the field, I am not a fan of his. Despite that, Sanders should not have said what he said.

I don't see this as news worthy really. Were people saying that Ben and Peyton were on the same level before or something? I think everyone in the league realizes Peyton Manning is light-years ahead of your average NFL QB.

Maybe.... but he shouldn't have said it...that way.

he did say both are great players and champions...He might have left it at that

Super Bowl records

Peyton - 1-3 including the epic choke against N.O. and the epic beat down by Seattle in which Denver was heavily favored

Big Ben - 2-1, including a 21-3 beat down that became a close game.

At least the Steelers didn't roll over and ask to get blown out as bad as Denver did who played that Super Bowl as if they didn't even care after half time.

Oh and Big Ben don't have the stats, cause he don't need them. 2 rings is still better than the one Peyton has, which Dungy gets absolutely zero credit for at all.

Football rules: Everybody who played or coached and has a ring gets some credit

Peyton has just been to 3 SBs, his record is 1-2.

Big Ben is 2-1 in the same amount of 3 SBs.

This post is meant for those unable to keep track of or don't bother to look up.

Besides, Sanders didn't have any need to bring Big Ben down to sing the praises of his new QB.

Will you share that sentiment if Manning manages to win a ring with the Dream Team Elway has put around him, or will it be posts about how hes the greatest ever and carries the team on his back?

I said it the first super bowl the colts went to

BtfxU6PCMAAWq6D.jpg

I assume this is 2014? He looks great, but even a Steelers fan has got to admit that at times in the past he's shown up for camp looking a little too much like Seth Rogen!

Besides, I didn't mean to imply that I think he's a bad QB or anything... quite the contrary. My critical comments were strictly superficial.  ;)

I assume this is 2014? He looks great, but even a Steelers fan has got to admit that at times in the past he's shown up for camp looking a little too much like Seth Rogen!

Besides, I didn't mean to imply that I think he's a bad QB or anything... quite the contrary. My critical comments were strictly superficial.  ;)

The only season in which Roethlisberger showed up to training camp with some softness was 2009, and we criticized him for it, but he was still the best player on the team that season anyway. Unfortunately, the defense decided to only play three quarters that season, allowing 135 points in the fourth quarter (third-worst in the NFL) and blowing five fourth-quarter leads (worst in the NFL), and the kickoff coverage unit allowed four TDs (worst in the NFL), so the Steelers ultimately finished that season 9-7 and out of the playoffs, wasting an excellent season by Roethlisberger in the process (4,328 passing yards, 66.6% completion, 8.6 YPA, 26 TD, 12 INT, 100.5 rating).

Other than that season, he's been fine. Yeah, he has a double chin, but some people do despite being in shape. Hell, look at that picture again and you'll see that he still has it despite being lean and mean.

Emmanuel has to learn not to answer comparison or 'the greatest' questions...

They're traps..There is no good answer ..

....When someone asks you which one of your kids is the smartest, the most athletic and the most well mannered..\

The correct answer is......"I love my wife"

Why is Sanders getting grief for his honest appraisal yet Palmer gets no attention at all when he says this Cardinal team is the most talented team he has ever played on.  Isn't that basically the exact same "slam" on his prior team mates as Sanders supposedly made at Roethlisberger?

I still do not see why Sanders comment is even controversial but if Roethlisberger didn't like it then he should make a point of doing a better job in the future so no one else makes similar comments.

Why is Sanders getting grief for his honest appraisal yet Palmer gets no attention at all when he says this Cardinal team is the most talented team he has ever played on. Isn't that basically the exact same "slam" on his prior team mates as Sanders supposedly made at Roethlisberger?

I'd guess it's because Palmer never won two superbowls. And his off field history isn't as controversial.

On paper I agree with Palmer.

BtfxU6PCMAAWq6D.jpg

If this is from this year, then I agree....  Ben looks pretty fit to me.

Looks like life is agreeing with him ( I know in the past few years, he got married and also finally earned his College degree ~ I know this because I was at his graduation, it was the same graduating class as Lauren.)