Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning

LUVTHESHOE

Okay, I think the time has come to finally relize what this guy has done for this team and city. For all of the bashing that gets done on this forum, if there is one guy who has earned the right to be exempt from that, it has got to be Manning. The guy has been a model citizen and a pros pro. That being said I feel it is really unfair for any shots to be fired his way after this train wreck of a season in which it is obvious we have no conductor. In my opinion he has and will continue to what is right for this team. There have been a few people who believe the time has come to take some shots at him, and believe me if that were the case I would be firing away, but that is not the case. So until we hear him demand that the Colts don't draft Luck or be prepared to trade him if they do, lets just assume that all that chatter is just speculation. Instead lets just all hope for his healthy return. Because even joe fans and your everyday sewer rats, and any other form of life can see just how much he has meant to this team. If you can get on here and truly have anything negative to say about him, you are insane, and if for some chance he is traded I will be the proud owner of his new jersey. Go Colts and Manning for Colts QB in 2012-13.

I wonder what is going thru Peyton's head after seeing the disaster that his before him. Something like "You mean I was playing with THIS team, and THIS coach, and we darn near won a Super Bowl?!!"

I wonder if he's thinking that maybe he deserves better than what Irsay and Polian is putting out on the field. Maybe he'd welcome the Colts drafting Luck and moving him to another team - wouldn't any other team provide better support?

Tributes have such a feel of finality ... You really don't know what you have till it's gone . It dawned on me this year how special Peyton is . I remember watching the 49'ers/Eagles @ the Vet . Buddy Ryan's defense was just killing Joe Montana . 7 sack & numerous hits on that concrete Vet turf . Joe dusted himself off & lit 'em up in the 2nd half . All in the blink of an eye . Eagles had 'em . Then it was over . I called a buddy afterward & said " We just watched the best quarterback to play the game . "

That's what we have in Peyton . He takes a cheap shot in Washington , took & time out so he wouldn't miss a play & came back to light them up . Like Bam ! Bam ! Bam ! Over ! We have a chance as long as there's a tick left on the clock & PM under center . How many of you said , against NE in the championship game in Indy , right before halftime , " If we can get this field goal , we're in this game . " ?

How precise was he forced to be his entire career ? That pass to Clark in the play-offs in Baltimore . Great catch but who else is going to put that ball , where it needs to be , under such pressure . Yeah , we are pretty blessed to have had him @ the helm . They're throwing accolades @ Aaron Rogers . Let's see him do it @ this level as long as Peyton has .

I've been saying this all season on every post that treated Manning as expendable. Its just business mantra. Tried of hearing it.

It is just a business, to be sucessful you have to know when it's time to move on because as we all know athletes do not improve with age like fine wine. If the Colts can improve the team by dealing Manning or releasing him then that is what they need to do.

How about this. Peyton makes a full recovery and returns next season. Luck stays in College and finishes his education (call me traditional, but I like someone that finishes what they start). The colts go better than 8-8 next season, with a trip to the post season, but with all the problems out team has, they go no further. Then in the 2013 draft, the Colts take whoever they can get - perhaps they will get Lucky? The colts could trade up for Luck, and then have him sit a year or two behind Peyton who finishes out his career before handing the reigns to Luck (or whatever other Qb we pick).

At this point the Luck speculation depends on many things. Luck quits school early for the draft, the Colts get the #1 pick, Peyton isn't going to be healthy or the team cuts him. But even if these three things happen, it's no miracle cure for this season because the team is still the team, the coaches are still the coaches and the front office is still the front office.

Regardless of the Luck speculation, it seems to me that Peyton's absence this year has show up some deficiencies in our game planning and play calling that apparently Peyton Manning was able to mask with his on-field game management and audibles. It's also show up deficiencies in the pass protection, receiver corps, and somewhat unexpectedly considering he's the QB, his absence seems to have exposed the defense, coaching, planning and execution. Were we really so dependent on Peyton adjusting on the field and gaining a lead so that our D could play the way they play? With all of that to consider, I think that long before we make any decisions regarding drafting Luck, or any other high profile player, we have a lot of work to do to re-evaluate everything from the top down to find where we are weak, or simply doing a bad job, and fixing those things.

Imagine if the play calling, game planning and execution on both sides of the ball was 10% better. Just a couple of extra catches a game could have resulted in wins already this season. Curtis Painter and the team are looking broken by the defeats. but just a couple of catches and they might have a completely different demeanor. Look back to the titans game. Painter tried to take the game on his own shoulders. Had it not been for a couple of goal line muggings that went unflagged, the colts could have easily had that game. That's not his fault, but what if there were two fewer dropped passes in that game, would the goal line calls even have mattered? I've seen this time and again with a young, untried B who comes into a bad situation. There is only so much they can do, and if after giving their all, the rest of the team appears to have given up and the fans blame the QB, the poor QB can only withstand so much of that before giving up them self. I feel like this is where we are now. Painter is not a franchise QB, but he could start and win given better support on the field and off it. However I think that time has passed now, perhaps the Bye week will offer sufficient time to regroup and come back with a new attitude?

Back to the topic though. Blaming Peyton Manning for this debacle is kind of like blaming an injured officer for the performance of his troops under another commander while he is in hospital. No one would do that, so why would anyone point a finger of blame at Peyton Manning. Personally, I feel like the coaching staff and front office bear the blame for not recognizing and fixing the deficiencies that Peyton's absence has drawn into view.

How about this. Peyton makes a full recovery and returns next season. Luck stays in College and finishes his education (call me traditional, but I like someone that finishes what they start). The colts go better than 8-8 next season, with a trip to the post season, but with all the problems out team has, they go no further. Then in the 2013 draft, the Colts take whoever they can get - perhaps they will get Lucky? The colts could trade up for Luck, and then have him sit a year or two behind Peyton who finishes out his career before handing the reigns to Luck (or whatever other Qb we pick).

At this point the Luck speculation depends on many things. Luck quits school early for the draft, the Colts get the #1 pick, Peyton isn't going to be healthy or the team cuts him. But even if these three things happen, it's no miracle cure for this season because the team is still the team, the coaches are still the coaches and the front office is still the front office.

Regardless of the Luck speculation, it seems to me that Peyton's absence this year has show up some deficiencies in our game planning and play calling that apparently Peyton Manning was able to mask with his on-field game management and audibles. It's also show up deficiencies in the pass protection, receiver corps, and somewhat unexpectedly considering he's the QB, his absence seems to have exposed the defense, coaching, planning and execution. Were we really so dependent on Peyton adjusting on the field and gaining a lead so that our D could play the way they play? With all of that to consider, I think that long before we make any decisions regarding drafting Luck, or any other high profile player, we have a lot of work to do to re-evaluate everything from the top down to find where we are weak, or simply doing a bad job, and fixing those things.

Imagine if the play calling, game planning and execution on both sides of the ball was 10% better. Just a couple of extra catches a game could have resulted in wins already this season. Curtis Painter and the team are looking broken by the defeats. but just a couple of catches and they might have a completely different demeanor. Look back to the titans game. Painter tried to take the game on his own shoulders. Had it not been for a couple of goal line muggings that went unflagged, the colts could have easily had that game. That's not his fault, but what if there were two fewer dropped passes in that game, would the goal line calls even have mattered? I've seen this time and again with a young, untried B who comes into a bad situation. There is only so much they can do, and if after giving their all, the rest of the team appears to have given up and the fans blame the QB, the poor QB can only withstand so much of that before giving up them self. I feel like this is where we are now. Painter is not a franchise QB, but he could start and win given better support on the field and off it. However I think that time has passed now, perhaps the Bye week will offer sufficient time to regroup and come back with a new attitude?

Back to the topic though. Blaming Peyton Manning for this debacle is kind of like blaming an injured officer for the performance of his troops under another commander while he is in hospital. No one would do that, so why would anyone point a finger of blame at Peyton Manning. Personally, I feel like the coaching staff and front office bear the blame for not recognizing and fixing the deficiencies that Peyton's absence has drawn into view.

I like your post, but wanted to clarify that Luck didn't go in the draft this past year because he wanted to finish college. He is scheduled to graduate this year and that is why most people think he will enter the draft this year, even though he is eligible to play another year of football.

I like your post, but wanted to clarify that Luck didn't go in the draft this past year because he wanted to finish college. He is scheduled to graduate this year and that is why most people think he will enter the draft this year, even though he is eligible to play another year of football.

Thanks for the clarification, for some reason I thought he still had a year to go - this is what happens when your trying to be a poster, a moderator and pay attention to your day job at the same time....LOL.

:D

That's what we have in Peyton . He takes a cheap shot in Washington , took & time out so he wouldn't miss a play & came back to light them up . .

Not to be nit picky but that was in here in Indy. When it happened, a giant gasp was said by everyone there. He did have to sniff smeeling salts to clear his head (what a wimp) that would have normal mortals out for 2 weeks.

I believe Luck will graduate this year, he would have to return and go into Grad school I believe.

For Peyton's own good, let us hope if he can play for a few more years, they will go all out to provide him with a great offensive line. I would hate to see Peyton play on this year's offensive line. They have done little to protect Painter, which makes him look worse than he is. Peyton's Dad suffered behind a bad offensive line all his playing years with the Saints, and got banged up pretty bad. Peyton deserves better. I would hope he retires before he agrees to play behind a less than terrific line.

I agree with you, mouthofsouth. As long as the coaching staff insists on playing Linkenback at RT the line will be bad, especially when there are two better options on the team in Diem and Ojinaka. Linkenback actually seemed to play better at LT, still bad but better. On top of that, Pollak seems to be the best, most consistent guard we have and he is sitting on the bench again. The two weakest offensive linement we have are probably Tepper and Linkenback and the coaches have decided to ride these two. Last season the offensive line started playing better the last handful of games when they decided to put Pollak and Diem side-by-side on the right side of the line. The biggest struggles Peyton and the line had were in the games where they removed Pollak from the lineup and tried to replace him with other guys. The same thing appears to be happening with the line this year. The last three or four games the line has degraded, which coincides to Pollak's injury and then being shown the bench.

Painter has not been good the last couple of games but the offensive problems have not all been on him. Part of his issues have been pressure and part of it has been his confidence in the line giving him the time he needs to find the open man. He doesn't seem to be setting his feet and stepping into his throws like he did earlier. In being at Lucas Oil for the last two games it also doesn't look like our receivers are getting any separation from the defenders. Additionally, teams seem to be playing Wayne with a man under and safety over the top forcing the throws to be near perfect in between the defenders. This defense has lead to a couple of the picks where the ball was either slighly underthrown or not thrown with enough arc. Once Painter went out on Sunday for Orlovsky, the defense changed strategy to keep the receivers in front of them allowing for the out routes as well as pulling back on the pressure up front. This was the main difference between the productivity in the two quarterbacks. Once the Colts got the ball deep into Jags territory they tightened the defense back up and Orlovsky didn't complete another pass.

I believe Luck will graduate this year, he would have to return and go into Grad school I believe.

Yep 'Flash777' made that point several posts back. thank you for the clarification as well, for some reason it was stuck in my head that he still had a year to go after this.

For Peyton's own good, let us hope if he can play for a few more years, they will go all out to provide him with a great offensive line. I would hate to see Peyton play on this year's offensive line. They have done little to protect Painter, which makes him look worse than he is. Peyton's Dad suffered behind a bad offensive line all his playing years with the Saints, and got banged up pretty bad. Peyton deserves better. I would hope he retires before he agrees to play behind a less than terrific line.

With how quick Peyton gets rid of the ball I don't believe he would have been hit as much as Painter or Dan has been hit, that has always been a strength of Peyton is his ability to get the ball to the reciever very quickly.

It is just a business, to be sucessful you have to know when it's time to move on because as we all know athletes do not improve with age like fine wine. If the Colts can improve the team by dealing Manning or releasing him then that is what they need to do.

Do you ever just shut up! You hijack any thread you can find and make a just business remark to anything I say. You couldn't be more impossibly irritating if you tried.

I am so sick of hearing speculations of Peyton being done. Honestly I have been a Colts fan since they came to Indy and they were the worst team in the NFL. If they decide to trade Peyton after all he has done for our Team and Our City I am seriously done being a Colts fan. I agree with alot of what everyone said we had flaws when Peyton was playing but it took him being gone to see it???? I pray Peyton Heals and gets healthy and finishes his career in Indy and possibly train Luck.

We are placing the blame in the wrong place. All fans speculate and owners do what they think is best for the team. After all, Montana did not end his days in SF. The players can stop the madness of whether to draft Luck or not by just winning games. I am not saying they quit, but they have chosen not to put in the extra effort. It is a shame that they are keeping the Luck speculation going for so long.

First Let me just say the only reason I pull for the Colts is Peyton Manning. I have followed him from highschool and all the way to present and he has never been anything but a class act . All this talk about trading him to get more talent may sound absurd but in reality it could be best for both parties. Reason I say this is Peyton has never really had the luxury of being surrounded with top talent, especially a dominating defense and has had a average at best running game. A trade would give him an opportunity to go to an organization that has those elements needed for him to get another Super Bowl Ring or two. It has now been shown just how weak the talent level is that the organization had surrounded him with. He has carried this team pretty much his whole time there. He elevated other players game around him. He made average receivers look much better than they are with his accuracy. Other than Marvin H. and Reggie W. the others have been pretty much second rate WRs. Some will point to Dalls Clark but I think Peyton is what made him stand out such as he did Brandon Stokley who was never heard from again. Some will point out how many division championships have been won which is great but they could have had so much more IMO. What you have is an organization that wasted its time having what I consider the best QB to have played the game. Instead of over time surrounding him with a good defense they chose to go the small and cheap route and not make a defense that can stop but a defense that is designed to just slow teams down and just out score teams. There have been numerous opportunities over the years to get some top quality FA to fill in the voids that are present on both sides of the ball. IMO I think they have drafted some bust at certain positions and helped to set them back in meeting some needs. Bottom line is now their incompetence in building this team and riding on Peyton Mannings back for all these years has been painfully exposed. If there is anybody that can debunk the old saying that any one person does not make a team then it is probably Peyton Manning. He affects all aspects of not only how his team plays but also how the other teams prepare. There is no fear factor now from opponents and they are pulling out all stops that they would never have dreamed of doing b/4.

I feel Peyton stil has a few years left in him but unfortunately I doubt he will get another SB with the Colts . As a fan just appreciate what he has brought the Colts Organization during his time there because you are now getting a taste of life without the best to have played the position IMO.

It's not a business... your following the wrong team if you think that. You know this is the colts right?

But they wont improve the team by dealing him. No one is going to give us much for him, given the circumstances, and we would still have to pay a truckload of money. We improve the team by bringing him back when he's healthy and surrounding him with talent. Manning will be better than he has been the last 3 seasons, because his nagging pain will be gone. Incremental age has nothing to do with it at this point.

We downgrade the team by parting with him, taking a massive cap hit, and going for a rookie QB who will offer less than 10% of what Manning could when he's 45.

Smart business is to take the guy who gives any NFL team the best chance of winning championships and sending him off properly: maximize the chances to win more.

Thanks for the clarification, for some reason I thought he still had a year to go - this is what happens when your trying to be a poster, a moderator and pay attention to your day job at the same time....LOL.

:D

He has a year of eligibility left because he redshirtted as a freshman but he will graduate this spring.

But they wont improve the team by dealing him. No one is going to give us much for him, given the circumstances, and we would still have to pay a truckload of money.

On 1260 yesterday Peter King speculated that they Colts could get a minimum of a top 10 pick in this years draft for him -- if deemed healthy -- and another #1 if he stayed healthy during in the 2012 season.

IMO, you would have to consider trading him if you really could get a top 10 this year and a follow up #1 in 2012 -- all while saving lots of $$ to fill other needs.

But they wont improve the team by dealing him. No one is going to give us much for him, given the circumstances, and we would still have to pay a truckload of money. We improve the team by bringing him back when he's healthy and surrounding him with talent. Manning will be better than he has been the last 3 seasons, because his nagging pain will be gone. Incremental age has nothing to do with it at this point.

We downgrade the team by parting with him, taking a massive cap hit, and going for a rookie QB who will offer less than 10% of what Manning could when he's 45.

Smart business is to take the guy who gives any NFL team the best chance of winning championships and sending him off properly: maximize the chances to win more.

Problem is there is little chance that Peyton will ever be what he was, you don't substain the type of injury he has at the age he is and return to the level of physical performance you had when you were in your late 20's and 100% healthy, it just doesn't happen. So what you have to decide is what is in the best interest of the franchise not just for the next season but for the next decade, especially when you are talking about the most important position in all of sports.

Dungy, Caldwell, Polian and his son should give half their pay to Peyton because without him covering for their mistakes we would have had losing seasons every year.

You could say that about a number of high profile players like Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Brett Farve, Aaron Rogers and such. Especially now with the salary cap, a number of teams are in a position where they rely on 1 key player to carry their franchise.

You could say that about a number of high profile players like Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Brett Farve, Aaron Rogers and such. Especially now with the salary cap, a number of teams are in a position where they rely on 1 key player to carry their franchise.

Aaron Rodgers does not belong in that group of quarterbacks yet.

As for Montana he was only the 3rd best player on that team after Lott and Rice.