Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Film Room: Trent Richardson

Dustin

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is correct went and looked back at my publications for that year, TE class was considered weak that year earning a D grade. In 1 publication Allen, was considered the #1 TE in the draft, with Fleener #4. In the other publication it brakes TE's down by flex TE an traditional TE's. In the one Fleener is considered the best flex TE, And Allen the the 2nd rated traditional TE, behind yes Orson Charles. both had virtually the same score. All 3 were considered low first to 2nd round picks! Charles was rated 2nd in the first book. Charles is only 6'2!

Just out of curiosity.......

What publications are you referring to?

Context is everything........

Yes our Ol sucks but honestly I still have my doubts about Richardson. my take of him

Postives

Strong, good short yardage back!

Good at catching the ball

Very good blocker

Doesn't go down easily

Negatives

Bad vision

He is a POWER BACK hit the hole, to much dancing looking for the BIG RUN, He should watch Ballard run!

Slow no burst

no speed outside

to fancy with moves he doesn't posses

Just my opinion we will see. I personal would not call Richardson a beast though? I would like to be wrong though!

Disagree. We just need to get him some holes to run through. Trent's ability in tight space cannot be taught. Just imagine what he would do if we actually stopped defenders from hitting him in the backfield.

ibpoKRlTcEdqZ8.gif

Disagree. We just need to get him some holes to run through. Trent's ability in tight space cannot be taught. Just imagine what he would do if we actually stopped defenders from hitting him in the backfield.

ibpoKRlTcEdqZ8.gif

You're actually providing footage to prove why he won't improve. The fullback sealed that end as good as you possibly can, he full on pancaked that defensive end. If Trent goes where he is supposed to go on that play, that's a big run.

That is a standard power run, the guard pulls play side, that fullback kicks out and absolutely obliterated that end. That play is designed to go inside, or he breaks it out play side. What does he do? He tries to bounce it out against where ALL OF THE BLOCKING is going. Just a stupid read.  It's inside, then out. Not, inside, then bounce it back to the wrong side and get smothered. 

If he runs off tackle, it's him and one safety, exactly like it was designed. That is good blocking right there. The defensive linemen that gets in the backfield is a NON factor, if he is going where he is supposed to. 

Just follow the fullback with your eyes and you'll see where that play was supposed to go. 

You're actually providing footage to prove why he won't improve. The fullback sealed that end as good as you possibly can, he full on pancaked that defensive end. If Trent goes where he is supposed to go on that play, that's a big run.

That is a standard power run, the guard pulls play side, that fullback kicks out and absolutely obliterated that end. That play is designed to go inside, or he breaks it out play side. What does he do? He tries to bounce it out against where ALL OF THE BLOCKING is going. Just a stupid read.  It's inside, then out. Not, inside, then bounce it back to the wrong side and get smothered. 

If he runs off tackle, it's him and one safety, exactly like it was designed. That is good blocking right there. The defensive linemen that gets in the backfield is a NON factor, if he is going where he is supposed to. 

Just follow the fullback with your eyes and you'll see where that play was supposed to go.

You are looking at the blocking at the end of the play and ignoring the unblocked linebacker in the first hole and unblocked nose tackle in his face. He never had time to get to the end where the fullback made his block because everyone in between failed miserably.

The fullback isn't lead blocking, he's doing a backside seal. All the blocking isn't going that way. While you're right that Richardson would have been better off following the fullback, I don't think the play design was meant for him to even look that way. And the main read was entirely closed, as Satele got beat to the inside.

Even if you're right about the play design, it doesn't mean Richardson won't improve. He had been with the team for a month. Him not understanding the play design at that point is reasonable, and it lends credence to the idea that a full year in the offense will benefit him. 

ibpoKRlTcEdqZ8.gif

I don't know why the FB blocked the guy he did.  Fleener, while not a good blocker and didn't get a good block on that play was between the defender all the ball carrier, if the FB cuts into the hole and blocks the LB standing there like that, that play would have been a huge gainer.

Of course if the blocking scheme were designed better then Fleener would have come down and sealed the ILB, the FB would have blocked the OLB (like he did) and that would give thee running back from the hash to the sideline to run with only the safety to beat.

Everybody does a good job on that play except Satele and the FB.  But that is all it takes to blow a play up.

This is also a good example of TRich saying he doesn't need to try to score every play, the better thing to have done would have been to lower his shoulder and hit the LB.  It still would not have been a big gainer but he probably could have plowed forward for a couple 3 yards with his power and leverage.

The fullback isn't lead blocking, he's doing a backside seal. All the blocking isn't going that way. While you're right that Richardson would have been better off following the fullback, I don't think the play design was meant for him to even look that way. And the main read was entirely closed, as Satele got beat to the inside.

Even if you're right about the play design, it doesn't mean Richardson won't improve. He had been with the team for a month. Him not understanding the play design at that point is reasonable, and it lends credence to the idea that a full year in the offense will benefit him. 

Just look at how surprised #74 is when he realizes the play is coming his way. It's just a kick out block so he can't chase it down from the backside. HE's not even really run blocking.  That's a standard power run/trap. The guard wouldn't be pulling the opposite way if it was designed to go left. You could argue it was a misdirection but even then, the guard would not be pulling in the opposite direction he was running. That looks like you run of the mill, I formation power run play. 

Disregard the H back, looks like this was a two wide formation, but otherwise it's the same. 

3.gif

You're right, the initial read was closed, but that's what I mean. At Alabama, he could press the line and cut back just like he did. That is never going to work at this level. It's his "Go to" move, press the line and cut back.

You're also right, it doesn't mean he won't get better, it is just really hard to correct improper instincts. 

I don't know why the FB blocked the guy he did.  Fleener, while not a good blocker and didn't get a good block on that play was between the defender all the ball carrier, if the FB cuts into the hole and blocks the LB standing there like that, that play would have been a huge gainer.

Of course if the blocking scheme were designed better then Fleener would have come down and sealed the ILB, the FB would have blocked the OLB (like he did) and that would give thee running back from the hash to the sideline to run with only the safety to beat.

Everybody does a good job on that play except Satele and the FB.  But that is all it takes to blow a play up.

It's not his job to block the backer, it's to seal the edge or if he is wide, kick him out. Which he did about as well as you possibly can. Superman is right, someone missed an assignment. Regardless, that's a designed off tackle run, he cut back to the weakside for no good reason. 

The long into short is, he is trying to do too much. 

he cut back to the weakside for no good reason.

There was a very good reason: the unblocked defender in the hole who would have tackled him regardless of whether he ran to the hole or followed the FB outside. Richardson didn't cut back when the NT got through he cut back we he saw the unblocked linebacker there. He basically had no other choice.

There was a very good reason: the unblocked defender in the hole who would have tackled him regardless of whether he ran to the hole or followed the FB outside. Richardson didn't cut back when the NT got through he cut back we he saw the unblocked linebacker there. He basically had no other choice.

Don't agree at all. If he is going where he is supposed to go, that defender has to chase him down from behind. He saw him in his peripheral, panicked and went to what he knows best....cutback. 

It's not his job to block the backer, it's to seal the edge or if he is wide, kick him out. Which he did about as well as you possibly can. Superman is right, someone missed an assignment. Regardless, that's a designed off tackle run, he cut back to the weakside for no good reason. 

The long into short is, he is trying to do too much. 

No, the FB is not supposed to block a guy who is already blocked.  And he cut back to the weakside for a very good reason, there was a LB in the hole and there was a DT taking a b-line to him.

Yes, he's trying to do to much as I stated above, but to act like he did it because he wanted to is naive at best.

Just look at how surprised #74 is when he realizes the play is coming his way. It's just a kick out block so he can't chase it down from the backside. HE's not even really run blocking.  That's a standard power run/trap. The guard wouldn't be pulling the opposite way if it was designed to go left. You could argue it was a misdirection but even then, the guard would not be pulling in the opposite direction he was running. That looks like you run of the mill, I formation power run play. 

Disregard the H back, looks like this was a two wide formation, but otherwise it's the same. 

3.gif

You're right, the initial read was closed, but that's what I mean. At Alabama, he could press the line and cut back just like he did. That is never going to work at this level. It's his "Go to" move, press the line and cut back.

You're also right, it doesn't mean he won't get better, it is just really hard to correct improper instincts. 

You're diagram is not accurate to the play in the GIF.

3.gif

I believe it's an off-guard play, not off-tackle play. The guard pulls just one spot, to the middle. The play is supposed to go to the A gap on the right side, but the center (Satele) gets beat to that side. It was also an off balance formation, with an extra lineman at TE, inside Fleener. That extra lineman double teams with the RT, which was unnecessary; he should have gotten out to the second level and blocked the Donald Butler, the linebacker. Either way, the problem is that the middle of the line collapsed, the design was compromised, and that put Richardson into "improvise" mode.

A better improvisation would have been to bounce outside to the right, rather than cut back. But I don't think he missed his first read, and that is still a great example of how the interior line betrayed our efforts to run up the middle. And Richardson still picked up five yards. I'm not sure why that isn't a credit to him.

The whole point of the article was that the blocking was poor, and that's obvious from that play breakdown. If he missed his first read after a month in our offense, I think that's forgivable. If he didn't make the absolute best improv decision, but still picked up 5 yards on a busted play, I think that's forgivable as well. Again, I'm not trying to defend him at all costs; like I said, I think the piece is flawed in certain respects, and Richardson certainly isn't without blame for his lack of production last year. But I think this is a poor example of "why he won't improve," as you put it. 

Of course if the blocking scheme were designed better 

This is another thing that stood out to me from reading the article. Some of our play designs were plain awful, some of the blocking schemes were fatally flawed, and that's something that the coaches have to get resolved. Either it was a scheme issue, or a player recognition issue, but like in this play we're talking about, there were often defenders completely unblocked that were able to disrupt the play right at the snap.

Like this one:

iJiXtCpi71Bai.gif

Why are we leaving Derrick Johnson completely unblocked? I understand it's supposed to be a trap play, but we basically ran it backward. You're supposed to let the playside end up the field, then run to the spot he vacates. You're not supposed to leave backside defenders unaccounted for, especially when they are directly in front of the QB/RB exchange and keying off of the QB's action. The center and the QB should have recognized that the play was flawed.

That is exactly the play they were trying to run. The only exception is there was no H back.

Well, the H-back in this play is Fleener, if you look close he's not lined up next to GC I can't tell who it is but I think it's Reitz (could be Nixon) out there as the third tackle which means that Fleener took the OLB like he was supposed to but the full back should have hit the hole and taken out whomever is there, he didn't do that..  Additionally, it's being ran against a 3-4 not a 4-3 which changes the interior blocking, since the NT lined up between the center and LG, the center comes back and takes the NT and LG pulls to the right of center not to the right of the tackle and is supposed to take the off play side ILB or off play side OLB if the ILB is not reachable.  Now Reitz (if that is who it was) should have chucked the DE so GC could get position and then peel off and take the nearest ILB, he didn't do that either. Additionally, Satele barely got a hand on the NT and didn't slow him down at all.

It was a busted play and, IMO Richardson should have just lowered his shoulder and taken what he could get but there were two mistakes in hole (third tackle and the FB) and then a mistake on the backside (Satele), it wasn't because TRich.

This is another thing that stood out to me from reading the article. Some of our play designs were plain awful, some of the blocking schemes were fatally flawed, and that's something that the coaches have to get resolved. Either it was a scheme issue, or a player recognition issue, but like in this play we're talking about, there were often defenders completely unblocked that were able to disrupt the play right at the snap.

Like this one:

iJiXtCpi71Bai.gif

Why are we leaving Derrick Johnson completely unblocked? I understand it's supposed to be a trap play, but we basically ran it backward. You're supposed to let the playside end up the field, then run to the spot he vacates. You're not supposed to leave backside defenders unaccounted for, especially when they are directly in front of the QB/RB exchange and keying off of the QB's action. The center and the QB should have recognized that the play was flawed.

I'm not sure if that was a bad design.  I'm not saying it's not but I think it's more an example of why McGlynn is no longer a Colt.  McGlynn should take one step to the play side to be in position if the NT stunts or loops around, if not then DJ is his guy.  Instead McGlynn takes two steps to the play side and as soon as he starts that 2nd step, then DJ comes into the gap.

It could very well be that McGlynn was taught to do that and it was a poorly designed blocking scheme but I think it's more that McGlynn just was not very good and over committed too quickly and left that gaping hole that someone with the speed of DJ could and did exploit.

I'm not sure if that was a bad design.  I'm not saying it's not but I think it's more an example of why McGlynn is no longer a Colt.  McGlynn should take one step to the play side to be in position if the NT stunts or loops around, if not then DJ is his guy.  Instead McGlynn takes two steps to the play side and as soon as he starts that 2nd step, then DJ comes into the gap.

It could very well be that McGlynn was taught to do that and it was a poorly designed blocking scheme but I think it's more that McGlynn just was not very good and over committed too quickly and left that gaping hole that someone with the speed of DJ could and did exploit.

Why would we be worried about the NT stunting on a trap play? Let him stunt all he wants; the play is going away from his stunt. As the LB inches over, it should be the QB making an adjustment to make sure he's accounted for. If the play design has the RG locked in to trying to stop a non-effective stunt on a trap play, then it's a flawed design. If the QB failed to see the problem, then it's a still a problem with the pre-snap reads (that's something that will improve, of course). 

And I mentioned play recognition. If that's what it boils down to, then McGlynn messed up in several ways. First of all, the only reason the center needs help on the NT is if he NT one-gaps to the right of the center, and with it being a trap play, the center should be able to hold the NT up long enough for the exchange to happen. Second, the NT isn't one-gapping; he's two-gapping. He's in a one-tech alignment, but he squares up with the center as soon as the ball is snapped. That should have been obvious to McGlynn well before his second step begins. Third, both of the first two points should be less important to the RG than the unaccounted for LB directly in front of him. You can't let a backside defender in cleanly on a trap play, for obvious reasons.

There was a lot wrong with this play. I think it's both coaching and player recognition. This game was in Week 15; McGlynn shouldn't have been on the field, and definitely not at RG. The play design seems ineffective. The QB doesn't make a good read, and the RG makes a bad play. We haven't even talked about the play side blocking, which didn't work; I think the Chiefs knew the play, as the play side defenders didn't come up field at all. Satele actually did a good job against a good NT, which is ironic. But even if McGlynn doesn't let the LB in, the play isn't going to work as drawn up. Richardson would likely have had a cutback opportunity, but that doesn't salvage the poor play design (or play call, which this might be).

Why would we be worried about the NT stunting on a trap play? Let him stunt all he wants; the play is going away from his stunt. As the LB inches over, it should be the QB making an adjustment to make sure he's accounted for. If the play design has the RG locked in to trying to stop a non-effective stunt on a trap play, then it's a flawed design. If the QB failed to see the problem, then it's a still a problem with the pre-snap reads (that's something that will improve, of course). 

If the guard does not take one step to the play side that leaves a huge gap between the center and guard especially since the center's first step is to the play to get position on the NT.  If McGlynn doesn't take that step to the play side then the NT can either slide through or loop a bit and make it near impossible for the center to slow him down and he could be in the backfield just as TRich is getting the ball.

The rest of it, I pretty much agree with.  And if McGlynn had only taken one step DJ probably would not have shot through the gap or if he tried then McG would have been in position to at least slow him down rather than diving, ineffectively, at his feet.

On that play above I put that on Satele, His initial step looked to be a lateral step which shrunk the hole that Doyle had to squeeze through to block Berry. Even if Mcglynn blocked Johnson on the play Richardson still wasn't going anywhere, It looked to me that Satele and Mcglynn were supposed to double Poe and let Johnson come free (which means Richardson by play design I think would have been way up at the 2nd level by the time Johnson got in the backfield) but Sateles intial step was bad  so in an attempt salvage the play Mcglynn tried to block Johnson...By then it was to late...Satele screwed it up best I can tell

If the guard does not take one step to the play side that leaves a huge gap between the center and guard especially since the center's first step is to the play to get position on the NT.  If McGlynn doesn't take that step to the play side then the NT can either slide through or loop a bit and make it near impossible for the center to slow him down and he could be in the backfield just as TRich is getting the ball.

The rest of it, I pretty much agree with.  And if McGlynn had only taken one step DJ probably would not have shot through the gap or if he tried then McG would have been in position to at least slow him down rather than diving, ineffectively, at his feet.

Based on the NT's alignment, I don't think he was going to be shooting any gap between the C and RG. I can see why the RG might need to take one step, or be aware of the NT's alignment, but I think the center can get to the NT and keep him from coming up field before the handoff. It would have taken an absolutely great gap play for the NT to get in that quickly.

Still, McGlynn actually takes three steps to the left, and winds up partially behind Satele. Not only does he have time to read that the NT isn't shooting that gap, he has enough time to get back over to slow down the LB.

Just a lot of things wrong with the way this play is run. I don't like the pre-snap alignment, I don't like the RG action, I don't like the play side blocking, etc. And this is Week 15. We shouldn't have stupid plays like in Week 15.

Of course, we pretty well handled the Chiefs in this game. But that kind of play is cringe-worthy.

What are you watching he had no chance Satale got blown up on that play he had a D lineman on him in the back field common theme last year. You can click to enlarge watch 64 and the powder blue jersey pushing him 7 yards into our backfield right at Trent. He slipped 5 tackles for a yard.

We will see this year hopefully we have a C who can hold a block.

This is also a good example of TRich saying he doesn't need to try to score every play, the better thing to have done would have been to lower his shoulder and hit the LB.  It still would not have been a big gainer but he probably could have plowed forward for a couple 3 yards with his power and leverage.

Agree he should have gone through the LB its a one on one deal who's to say the Lb even makes the tackle!

Based on the NT's alignment, I don't think he was going to be shooting any gap between the C and RG. I can see why the RG might need to take one step, or be aware of the NT's alignment, but I think the center can get to the NT and keep him from coming up field before the handoff. It would have taken an absolutely great gap play for the NT to get in that quickly.

Still, McGlynn actually takes three steps to the left, and winds up partially behind Satele. Not only does he have time to read that the NT isn't shooting that gap, he has enough time to get back over to slow down the LB.

Just a lot of things wrong with the way this play is run. I don't like the pre-snap alignment, I don't like the RG action, I don't like the play side blocking, etc. And this is Week 15. We shouldn't have stupid plays like in Week 15.

Of course, we pretty well handled the Chiefs in this game. But that kind of play is cringe-worthy.

Did you see who the Colts had at center last year? Both guards needed to crash down and help him :)

Agree he should have gone through the LB its a one on one deal whos to say the Lb even makes the tackle. He also could have jump cut to the back side as I think Castonzo seems to have his guy as well. it goes back to IMO Richardson's poor vision, lack of patients & his lack of burst to any hole.

Umm, he did jump cut to the backside.

I think McGlynn screwed that one up and there would have been positive yards had Johnson not been in the backfield. The thing I found weird was Nixon backing off the line hoping the end would follow, the second the end feels the space and no engagement he stops and waits. Would much rather have Nixon engage him fron the start of the play! To Nixon's credit he does engage him with some help for Doyle. Satelle is fine on this play SURPRISE!

Did you see who the Colts had at center last year? Both guards needed to crash down and help him :)

Yeah, I know. But that's why you run trap plays, right? The center can get beat, so long as he gets beat to the proper side. On that play, you actually want the NT to come up that gap, then you create the lane to the other side. 

Also, like Gavin said, seeing Satele's lateral step makes me think they were anticipating a double team, but it could just be that he was trying to seal off the NT to create the running lane to his left. Either way, I still think the play design was flawed.

But this whole discussion really highlights how much it should help just getting rid of those two players. McGlynn constantly made mistakes with assignments and technique, and got beat frequently. Satele was over powered often, and made mistakes, and got beat frequently. And he didn't provide the cerebral pre-snap ability that would sort of make up for his deficiencies. They both were sooo bad, and combined to make up probably the worst C/G tandem in the league last year. Pretty much any semi-capable tandem of linemen would be better, I think. That's why I'm optimistic about the line play next year.

On the other hand, I'm concerned about the collective decision making that kept them on the field together for so long last year. The Ravens shuffled their line in 2012, toward the end of the season. The difference is that they were losing, and almost missed the playoffs. We were in control of our division, and I guess they favored consistency and the potential for cohesion. But Satele and McGlynn were sooo bad... It's hard to understand why we didn't clip one or both of them at some point, down the stretch.

I think McGlynn screwed that one up and there would have been positive yards had Johnson not been in the backfield. The thing I found weird was Nixon backing off the line hoping the end would follow, the second the end feels the space and no engagement he stops and waits. Would much rather have Nixon engage him fron the start of the play! To Nixon's credit he does engage him with some help for Doyle. Satelle is fine on this play SURPRISE!

Yeah, it seemed like the Chiefs defense read that play. They didn't come up the field the way we needed them to, and the play was still stopped up. 

That is a standard power run, the guard pulls play side, that fullback kicks out and absolutely obliterated that end. That play is designed to go inside, or he breaks it out play side. What does he do? He tries to bounce it out against where ALL OF THE BLOCKING is going. Just a stupid read. It's inside, then out. Not, inside, then bounce it back to the wrong side and get smothered.

I have been away on vacation the past few days, and just pulled your response up on my phone.

There area lot of things I would like to say but I will make it short for now. Just look at Trent's athleticism on the play. Almost every play, he was in trouble behind the line of scrimmage. The blocking was very poor. Barry Sanders would have struggled with that poor blocking effort/ability/scheme.

Yes indeed Satele got beat all the time ,wich was a major demise We should've kept Shipley and sent Satele packing before last year started.

That's a popular opinion, and maybe Shipley wouldn't have been as bad as Satele, but Shipley was pretty bad for the Ravens himself. He wound up spending most of his time at guard, and struggled there. He was better for us at center. But I think the better route is to get the next guy in there, which is what we're doing now. Hopefully Holmes is way better than either of them.

That's a popular opinion, and maybe Shipley wouldn't have been as bad as Satele, but Shipley was pretty bad for the Ravens himself. He wound up spending most of his time at guard, and struggled there. He was better for us at center. But I think the better route is to get the next guy in there, which is what we're doing now. Hopefully Holmes is way better than either of them.

Im almost positive that will be the case ,Point I was making imo Satele was just right out terrible all the way around.Think we will be much better off ,Regaurdless of who plays there, more than likely Holmes  but I don't think Mewhort would be a slouch there either.