Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

andrew in year three

CR91

I have said it a bunch before, but I think Reggie's injury last year was a blessing in disguise for Luck.

He struggled a bit the few weeks after Reggie went down, but he really improved on using other weapons in our offense and going through his reads when he didn't have Ol' Reliable Reggie Wayne as his escape route.  I think he will be vastly improved this year with Reggie and Dwayne back, a (hopefully) improved O-Line, improvements in TY, Fleener, and whoever we keep out of Rogers/Brazzil/Whalen, as well as new weapons in Nicks and Moncrief.

Hopefully the big bodies of Nicks, Moncrief, and Rogers (assuming he makes our 53) plus the return of Dwayne Allen will help Andrew in the red zone -- TY is a game-breaker but is more dangerous when we are 80 yards out than when we are 8 yards out -- these big guys should help tremendously in the red zone.

Not only did it help Luck's development, it probably helped Pep Hamilton as well. The growing pains our offense went through after Reggie got hurt were really hard to watch at times, but as we adapted and adjusted, it showed that there's more than one way to skin a cat. We actually had some decent games running the ball late in the season, and did it without trying to force the action with heavy personnel. There are a lot of different things we did successfully that should work their way into our gameplans next year, and we'll have our horses back, plus some. Reggie, Allen, Ballard, Bradshaw, all working with (hopefully) an improved offensive line, a more experienced Luck, Hilton and Fleener, and the other young guys who stepped up late last year. Plus Nicks and Moncrief.

Pep has a lot of options, and hopefully he's benefited from the experience of figuring out how to maximize lesser talent. If these things come together like we hope, our offense should be very effective, if not downright dangerous.

Would love to see Luck make use of no-huddle like Manning did. To be even better at reading defenses and calling the right play for the situation. More of a General.

I think thats what they were going for with giving him 6 playa everytime he goes too the line now. Least I hope and thats what makes sense lol

The same thing as year one, Not locking onto predetermined receivers, scrambling and sliding as needed using checkdowns more as needed

Disagree with you respectfully on Luck needing to scramble Gavin. Andrew is like Pittsburgh's Big Ben...Just stay in the pocket & only improvise when you have no other choice. I'd rather see more sacks in the pocket due to tight DB coverage that running on the fly & an interception. 

Smart phone. Everything else is nailed.

Nah, I admire Luck's anti-technology stance personally. His rejection of the latest gizmos makes Andrew so much cooler to me. I love it. No one appreciates the brick cell phone anymore--A communication device & a nice weapon in a pinch.  haha

Disagree with you respectfully on Luck needing to scramble Gavin. Andrew is like Pittsburgh's Big Ben...Just stay in the pocket & only improvise when you have no other choice. I'd rather see more sacks in the pocket due to tight DB coverage that running on the fly & an interception. 

Nah, I admire Luck's anti-technology stance personally. His rejection of the latest gizmos makes Andrew so much cooler to me. I love it. No one appreciates the brick cell phone anymore--A communication device & a nice weapon in a pinch.  haha

He is an accurate passer on the move like Ben is when he moves, They just don't do it enough in my opinion

He is an accurate passer on the move like Ben is when he moves, They just don't do it enough in my opinion

Yeah, you made a valid point Gavin. I wasn't slamming you or anything like that. Ideally, I just want our o-line to be so solid that it's like a force field that Andrew never has to leave 98% of the time & I want our defense to get mean & nasty with a suffocating pass rush that never stops. It just overwhelms opposing QBs like a title wave tsunami leaving our adversary bewildered, disoriented, exhausted, & drenched in the sweat of defeat. 

We're cool Gavin. I respect you man just a slight difference of opinion on Luck running that's all.  ;) Yes, when Andrew does decide to run he typically makes good decisions I agree. But, I want him to reach a point when scrabbling almost becomes obsolete & unwarranted both both lines of scrimmage for us is superb & deadly. 

LOL 

Piece of advice: 

You can never trust anyone with a tattoo on their neck. 

1 exception to that rule Lollygager: As a body guard or personal enforcer, the right tattoo sends the message don't make me angry; Otherwise, you're about to have a really bad day. Just Kidding! 

Just waiting on preseason........

Yes, August does feel like it's lightyears away from us right now doesn't it TK? Can I see LB Jerrell Freeman tackle someone? That always makes me smile. Hang in there man. I know exactly what you're going through my man.  This lull too shall pass my friend.  :D

As aforementioned, Luck needs to check-down and dump the ball off to the RB. Luck needs to realize he doesn't need the deep ball or 20 yard pass down the field. It's ok to dump the ball off to the RB. Let T-Rich, Bradshaw and Ballard make plays with their feet. I also feel like he needs to run the ball a little more. I've seen him force pass after pass when the defense is giving him 5-8 yards to scramble. I totally trust Luck with running because he knows how to slide.

We couldn't ask for better skills in a 3rd year Quarterback. Andrew only needs a permanent playing core to get nice and comfortable with. I know it's impossible to keep all the same players every single year, but the longer he plays with key players. The more he will show us.

One thing I would really like to see more of is bootleg. Luck throws a beautiful pass while rolling out and he can beat the defense to the edge, we don't use this nearly enough. As far as actual improvement goes, everything. He just needs to make small incremental improvements in all areas like he did last year.