Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Depth chart player ratings

rock8591

I love the guy and he will be elite one day, but it is not this day. He does not belong in the company of Manning, Rodgers, Brady, and Brees.....yet. He misses too many throws to be considered elite.

Meh, that's what people used to say about John Elway. The game isn't about completion percentage.

I consider Luck elite. I think it will show more this year and people will talk about how much he's improved, but I believe he's already elite and was held back by a poor supporting cast in 2013.

Injuries to Wayne, Bradshaw, Ballard and Dwayne Allen was a big part of this, coupled with a marginal

offensive line at best was the main reason. I think the young lad did pretty well for what he had to work with.

We definitely have our starting QB for the next 12 years or so, most teams can't say that.

Meh, that's what people used to say about John Elway. The game isn't about completion percentage.

I'm not talking about completion percentage, I'm talking about guys being wide open on simple crossing routes and him completely overthrowing them. For all the things he does well, accuracy is the one thing he needs to improve in order to be in the upper echelon of quarterbacks.

I'm not talking about completion percentage, I'm talking about guys being wide open on simple crossing routes and him completely overthrowing them. For all the things he does well, accuracy is the one thing he needs to improve in order to be in the upper echelon of quarterbacks.

He does need to improve in this area but all Colts fans see this deficiency because we are used to

watching Manning throwing accurately through very very tight windows over the years.

Nobody is going to be as accurate as Manning but I see your beef with missing the wide open guy.

Colts rank #12 of all teams.

Here is the ESPN article (insider only) - http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/5935/how-the-colts-fare-in-roster-ranking

Here's a copy of the depth chart though - https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/29/2014-depth-chart-indianapolis-colts/

Overall ranking I would put us at #8-10 or so, but the individual player rankings are horrible.

Andrew Luck at only "good starter" and not "high quality"  Agree, I think he could be considered High Quality, but not yet elite

Hugh Thornton should be upgraded from "poor starter" to "below average" agree

DQuell Jackson should be upgraded from "below average" to "average" agree

RJF should be downgraded from "good starter" to "average starter" DISAGREE..still don't get the hate or dislike for RJF

Matt Overton (LS) right now listed as "poor starter" ? :lol:. He's a long snapper, what did they expect his performance to look like? Not to mention he made the pro-bowl the past year.

RJF good rotational player, but not really starter material; he's 28 now, been in the league several years now, and it's hard to picture him as any more than a 20-30 tackle player each year. Though I will say, tackles don't tell the whole story and 3-4 DLs especially, tackles are misleading.

The ~4 million a year though could have been spent on better players; I would have preferred Red Bryant myself. That would fit the run D for sure in the front 3.

Harvey was so fat and slow he could no longer be used as a LB`er, other than perhaps goal line and we still had better options.

I did not mention his body.  I mentioned it was amazing the writer was unaware of him.  Harvey is excellent on Special Teams.  264 may be a little heavy for when he played LB....looked very slow last year before his injury!.

RJF good rotational player, but not really starter material; he's 28 now, been in the league several years now, and it's hard to picture him as any more than a 20-30 tackle player each year. Though I will say, tackles don't tell the whole story and 3-4 DLs especially, tackles are misleading.

The ~4 million a year though could have been spent on better players; I would have preferred Red Bryant myself. That would fit the run D for sure in the front 3.

He might be released at the end of training camp.

Injuries to Wayne, Bradshaw, Ballard and Dwayne Allen was a big part of this, coupled with a marginal

offensive line at best was the main reason. I think the young lad did pretty well for what he had to work with.

We definitely have our starting QB for the next 12 years or so, most teams can't say that.

Marginal o-line is a big under statement

Message Board Truths...

1) The media hates our team - categorical nonsense

2) Any positive article about our team is written by an all-knowing savant

3) Any negative article about our team is written by a half-wit with an obvious axe to grind against our team - see point # 1

4) The national media does not know our team as well we, the fans do. 

To point # 4, I would make a counter to this - maybe we as fans are too close and vastly overestimate our own players simply because they have a horseshoe on their helmet and that the national folks have a much more reasonable, non-emotional position.

And specific to this thread and article, anyone immediately dismissing the article and rankings as ridiculous simply because of where they ranked Overton is comical. 

Nice bit of bias on your part.  First, you lump everyone together which would include you.  So do all the points apply to you?  No?  Then why do you apply them to everyone else? Bias. Lumping groups of people and then assigning negative attributes to the group as if "all" are guilty of what you state is the definition of bigotry.  (Feel free to look it up if you truly don't already know).  What I find here is that people's views and opinions from topic to topic vastly differ and rarely do people agree on any handful of things let alone ALL things.  Thus your attempt to impugn everyone fails.  If all the points DO apply to you, then please stop projecting.   

I do have the opinion that the ESPN staff writer covering the Colts is doing a terrible job, often simply copy and pasting sentences and paragraphs from previous articles he's written in response to quoting reportage of other writers.  He also seems generally annoyed with the fact he's no longer covering Basketball all season but instead now covering the Colts.  The tone of his articles and his particular venom against Jim Irsay reflects this as have previous articles which weren't simply rehashes.  He insists on punishment against Irsay as if he were the person directly wronged, yet he also claims he is completely impartial and disconnected to the things he reports on.  If that were the case he would stop editorializing incessantly about Irsay's punishment.   There was also a discussion about the ESPN First Take Co-host who delights in trashing Andrew Luck on every possible occasion.  Sure, he is supposed to be opinionated and often picks on the stars of a given sport (he trashes Lebron half the time and brown noses him half the time, but that's his schtick).   On the other hand, there are some excellent reporters both at ESPN and outside of it who cover these same issues and topics without the underlying venom or animosity.  Some ESPN personnel have a negative agenda based on what they say and write when it comes to the Colts (as well as Pacers.. they were soundly brutalized and they likely egged on as much strife as anything else going on).  The media as an industry typically is little more than rabid dogs looking to lift up or tear down people on the rise or fall as it builds ratings, but that is "the media" as a whole, and on the average rather than an all inclusive, every reporter is out to get or prop up any given figure.  To think it doesn't happen is to be voluntarily blind to the obvious and apparent.  

For people, as a whole, to think every positive thing said about the Colts comes from an "all knowing savant" is to ignore the clear evidence that when USA Today picked the Colts to be in the Super Bowl, only a few people agreed, others said that would be great but doubted it and others said no way.  Hardly the reaction that fits your rant.  Read a few more posts and it might even be apparent to you. 

It's just a message board.  Why the need to tear people down?  State and support your viewpoint and let others decide theirs and banter it about.  Judge the football or the argument, not the people trying to have some fun until the season starts again.  Being snarky isn't really that cool.  There's not much universal truth in your list of supposed truths;  just a lot of judgemental snarky-ness. 

If you know tackles are a misleading stat for 3-4 DL, then why bring tackles up? ;)  yes, RJF has been in the league several years but this is his first shot at being a full time starter.  I also don't think his is a case of not being good enough to be a starter but rather he was stuck on the depth chart behind some very good players.  Last year was his first year in our defense and he was injured part of the time.  There's no way at this point to know what his ceiling is.  

Also, RJF plays the DT spot primarily in our D.  He 1-gaps as well as 2-gaps.  Would Red Bryant be able to 1-gap and get and get penetration as well as he can 2-gap and hold his spot?  

If you know tackles are a misleading stat for 3-4 DL, then why bring tackles up? ;)  yes, RJF has been in the league several years but this is his first shot at being a full time starter.  I also don't think his is a case of not being good enough to be a starter but rather he was stuck on the depth chart behind some very good players.  Last year was his first year in our defense and he was injured part of the time.  There's no way at this point to know what his ceiling is.  

Also, RJF plays the DT spot primarily in our D.  He 1-gaps as well as 2-gaps.  Would Red Bryant be able to 1-gap and get and get penetration as well as he can 2-gap and hold his spot?  

The answer to the bolded is a resounding NO. Making the comparison pointless. 

He does need to improve in this area but all Colts fans see this deficiency because we are used to

watching Manning throwing accurately through very very tight windows over the years.

Nobody is going to be as accurate as Manning but I see your beef with missing the wide open guy.

Like that one throw againat the Broncos where the ball was at Wayne's ankle?