Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adongo at 282!

Smonroe

Our defense definitely has the ammunition to be a top 10 defense but it all comes down to how often the complete unit is injury-free. We saw last year how there were folk that missed tons of time (Toler, Landry, Werner) or were limited by injuries. The whole idea is to stay healthy because if we can then we have a SOLID defense.... See below

Pass Rush:

A. Jones has a decent inside/DL rush.. (unlike last year's non-existence)

Cory Redding will be Redding (less snaps means more energy for passing downs)

McNary simply gets better overall (great at passing downs)

Freeman will be Freeman (nice ILB rush and good instincts)

Mathis will be Mathis (for back 12 games)

Open Tryouts on the pass rushing role for the first 4 games with snaps going around..

-Werner (when healthy, tons of potential as he learns to play OLB and develops)

-Newsome (undersized yes..but has Mathis to show him the ropes. Will be DECENT imho)

-Adongo (don't know what to expect but having great potential and athleticism is better than what was at back-up OLB last year)

Coverage:

Vontae Davis (keeps developing, less big plays allowed, island with best recievers, should solidify top 5 status)

Toler (hoping on getting healthy, he can do decently well on press coverage. Good size and ball hawk instincts)

Butler (top 5-10 nickel-back in the league IMO and underrated overall..great on slot receivers and should stay inside)

Gordy (experience? very streaky but a decent 4th corner, has size and speed to at-least run with big receivers on outside) 

Open tryouts on the 5th corner position:

-Qua Cox (personal favorite...great coverage skills and has size and speed to match up...great mental traits: confidence, "swagger," short term memory.. only knock is being from a small school college. Already has impressed the coaches...GREAT potential)

-L. Purifoy (was originally a 1st-2nd round prospect before off-field issues kicked him back..lots of potential but needs to learn how to play press in the NFL without pass interference penalties, good candidate for PS) 

-S. Price (PS from last year..probably the most physically gifted corner but needs to hone down his coverage skills..Needs to show up his skills during training camp unlike last year)

Run Defense:Probably the difference maker this year. Was very very streaky last year and pretty much cost us those playoff games)

RJF (decent and will be better)

Chapman (flashes of potential last year...developed and will be much better as he gets more snaps than last year)

Jones (great run defender)

Freeman will be Freeman and rack up those 100+ tackles

D. Jackson will shore up the inside and offer some needed leadership and experience...solid?

Andrew Jackson (will be a suprise to many people I think...great tackler and has solid instincts..battering ram for run defenses)

Werner (will get better at run defense as he learns to be a complete OLB)

Erik Walden? (set the edge? haha, next..)

Corners are physical and good defending the edge (especially Davis)

Safeties: (yes it needs its own section)

-Landry (PLEASE PLEASE be healthy!!! If and when he is, great asset for run defense and has underrated coverage skills..a solid safety that needs to get slightly more consistent like his Jets season...will definitely improve)

-Howell (everyone has a issue with his physical ceiling limitations but he is a solid safety when used right.. will probably be a "SS" to mask his coverage deficiences but decent in every other category..holds his own)

-Brown (look at last year's Jacksonville loss...nuff said) Great great special teamer though so respect there

-Colt Anderson (has experience and will almost certainly edge out Sims and McDonald in my opinion..)

Just for people that complained this year about the draft and Grigson not selecting a safety? It was a 1st and 2nd round run on them and then it just dropped...I applaud Grigson for not reaching because I can guarantee that I want Howell over any 5th round or worse prospect....UDFA McDonald was most likely signed to provide competition and to check his potential as he was a Division 2 athlete. Still not convinced by his college tape though.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defense would be a whole lot better if Manusky would change his schemes/plans

Stop the interchanged safeties, & let Vontae shadow the oppositions #1 WR like the top CB's do (besides Sherman)

We all say how Vontae is a top CB yet we don't treat him like one, let him fly.

The simplest things can be changed to take us to the next level but if Manusky doesn't change it, we'll continue to be down 21-0 and so on. Letting offenses destroy us

Very descriptive response there :clap:

The fact that you can't mention who'll beat him out makes your statement invalid. Don't say someone won't make the team then not list who'll stop them from making the team.

every othe olber. At best he will be on the practice squad

Stop the interchanged safeties, & let Vontae shadow the oppositions #1 WR like the top CB's do (besides Sherman)

The simplest things can be changed to take us to the next level but if Manusky doesn't change it, we'll continue to be down 21-0 and so on. Letting offenses destroy us

none of this is a problem

every othe olber. At best he will be on the practice squad

Andy Studebaker

Cam Johnson

Justin Hickman

Adongo could beat those 3 out. Hickman has injury issues

Never even heard of Studebaker

And Johnson is probably the toughest to beat out of the 3

Adongo is gonna be on the 53 at the end of TC

Personally.....

I don't think we have scheme problems.    I think we have personnel problems.    We're just starting the 3rd year of rebuilding the franchise.    These things take time.

I think we're another year or even two away from being where we really want to be......

Hope I'm wrong and we're there now,  but I don't think so.....

Personally.....

I don't think we have scheme problems. I think we have personnel problems. We're just starting the 3rd year of rebuilding the franchise. These things take time.

I think we're another year or even two away from being where we really want to be......

Hope I'm wrong and we're there now, but I don't think so.....

Yeah personnel is a problem too, but so are injuries

Point is as a coach you work with your pieces you have. I don't feel Manusky is doing that. Only coach I saw make a change to his group was Pep when Reggie went down, whole offense changed

Manusky on the other hand continued his ways

Yeah personnel is a problem too, but so are injuries

Point is as a coach you work with your pieces you have. I don't feel Manusky is doing that. Only coach I saw make a change to his group was Pep when Reggie went down, whole offense changed

Manusky on the other hand continued his ways

Good post.....

But allow me to put it another way.....

Pagano is a defensive coach....  a former DC.....     if he thought the defense should change -- he'd change it.   He'd have Manusky re-tool it and it would be done.

I'm just not sure it's as easy as all that.   

Andy Studebaker

Cam Johnson

Justin Hickman

haha

You admitted to only watching a couple games. You don't know the talent level if any if those guys.

That you have never heard of studebaker makes your opinion of the situation irrelevant.

You have faith in adongo, yet you have never seen him contribute anything on the field.

haha

You admitted to only watching a couple games. You don't know the talent level if any if those guys.

That you have never heard of studebaker makes your opinion of the situation irrelevant.

You have faith in adongo, yet you have never seen him contribute anything on the field.

Yes, I don't get to see that much of our games due to my location in the U.S. but that's changing this year as my DVR & PS3 have been modified to fit my fandom level.

There have been no threads on this Studebacker kid, no tweets, no nothing so he's obviously irrelevant. 

What did he do last season? Adongo got activated to the 53 last season so Studebacker must've been hurt, either way he wouldn't have done anything. 

Good post.....

But allow me to put it another way.....

Pagano is a defensive coach....  a former DC.....     if he thought the defense should change -- he'd change it.   He'd have Manusky re-tool it and it would be done.

I'm just not sure it's as easy as all that.   

Idk, just seems to me Pagano trusts Manusky enough to realize when he needs to make changes

This team is wish washy on both the coaches & player levels. When we play top teams, the team as a whole seems to be better

The playcalling from the coaches seems more aggressive but smart

And the players play better

This inconsistency has to stop or we're not going to the big dance like they're been preaching since the arrival of Pagano. 

Yes, I don't get to see that much of our games due to my location in the U.S. but that's changing this year as my DVR & PS3 have been modified to fit my fandom level.

There have been no threads on this Studebacker kid, no tweets, no nothing so he's obviously irrelevant.

What did he do last season? Adongo got activated to the 53 last season so Studebacker must've been hurt, either way he wouldn't have done anything.

wow.

You really don't know much about this team

Vontae may be a bit right handed for all we know, so it might not be that simple.  I'm all for defensive scheme complexity, but it still has to be sound.  Interchangeable safeties, once the personnel is right, actually increases complexity of looks to show opposing offenses.

In Manusky's defense, our D has made contributing plays to close out games the last 2 years that we have struggled to make previously.  He has done a lot that is positive to contributing to 11-5 seasons while rebuilding that he is not getting credit for.

Vontae may be a bit right handed for all we know, so it might not be that simple.  I'm all for defensive scheme complexity, but it still has to be sound.  Interchangeable safeties, once the personnel is right, actually increases complexity of looks to show opposing offenses.

In Manusky's defense, our D has made contributing plays to close out games the last 2 years that we have struggled to make previously.  He has done a lot that is positive to contributing to 11-5 seasons while rebuilding that he is not getting credit for.

Solid Post

I'm not calling for Manusky's head, I just believe there's simple/small changes that can be made to make this defense better imo

Like dropping Robert in coverage more. I don't care what anyone says about me, but when Rob caught that INT against the Lions in year 1 of the transformation..... I cried tears of joy & even gave him a apple juice salute (don't do those often so when I do it's pretty serious) haha

Solid Post

I'm not calling for Manusky's head, I just believe there's simple/small changes that can be made to make this defense better imo

Like dropping Robert in coverage more. I don't care what anyone says about me, but when Rob caught that INT against the Lions in year 1 of the transformation..... I cried tears of joy & even gave him a apple juice salute (don't do those often so when I do it's pretty serious) haha

I don't think there is any doubt that Manusky/Pagano have more playbook than they've been able to use thus far.  The additions of Art Jones and DQ Jack will have a big impact on installing the rest of it - we should see a far bit more this year with a leader like Jackson at ILB.  Manusky can trust his experience like a QB and opens up a whole new set of tools.

As for Mathis dropping more into coverage.  Don't look for that to be big part of it.  That INT came from the SAM position.  Once we moved him to the Rush side the dropping will be minimal.  More disruption from the SAM spot is what you want, and we can all agree on that.

Idk, just seems to me Pagano trusts Manusky enough to realize when he needs to make changes

This team is wish washy on both the coaches & player levels. When we play top teams, the team as a whole seems to be better

The playcalling from the coaches seems more aggressive but smart

And the players play better

This inconsistency has to stop or we're not going to the big dance like they're been preaching since the arrival of Pagano. 

Personally,  I think the inconsistency is a reflection a roster that is not yet where it needs to be.

We've just started the 3rd year of this rebuild....  and it just takes time.    The defense needs to get dramatically better,  and the offense needs a much better o-line for running and passing.    

The team is good enough not to lose two in a row a single time in the last two years.    The Colts are the only team in the NFL to achieve that.    I think that speaks very well to the coaching and the players buying in.     But the bad losses are a result of not having a good enough roster to play well week in and week out.    The Colts can rise to the occassion when they play SF or Seattle or Denver......      but they can still lay an egg against St. Louis or Miami....

I know the inconsistency is maddening and infuriating....   but if it's bad for us, I suspect it's bad for the players and coaches as well....

I'm sorry I have to put this out there.  I like Andy Studebaker quite a bit.

I think he's a valuable player on special teams and overall pretty tough kid.

When we picked him up I liked what he brought to the team.

However I think with all of the different options at LB we have I don't think he'll ever

be more than a special teams player.

Pass Rush:

A. Jones has a decent inside/DL rush.. (unlike last year's non-existence)

That's not true at all.  The colts DL actually ranked slightly above average (definitely room for improvement but also definitely not non-existent) in terms of overall pass rush productivity among 3-4 teams, beating out teams like Baltimore.  RJF, Redding, Jones, and Hughes are all capable interior pass rushers and Chapman even had a few pressures in very limited opportunities as well.

Personally,  I think the inconsistency is a reflection a roster that is not yet where it needs to be.

We've just started the 3rd year of this rebuild....  and it just takes time.    The defense needs to get dramatically better,  and the offense needs a much better o-line for running and passing.    

The team is good enough not to lose two in a row a single time in the last two years.    The Colts are the only team in the NFL to achieve that.    I think that speaks very well to the coaching and the players buying in.     But the bad losses are a result of not having a good enough roster to play well week in and week out.    The Colts can rise to the occassion when they play SF or Seattle or Denver......      but they can still lay an egg against St. Louis or Miami....

I know the inconsistency is maddening and infuriating....   but if it's bad for us, I suspect it's bad for the players and coaches as well....

IMO the inconsistency was more to do with having at least one new starter at every level of the defense last year combined with injuries, especially at ILB (Angerer and Conner especially) and in the secondary.  I definitely think the 2014 Colts defense could be top 10...maybe even top 5 depending on how injuries play out.

Andy Studebaker

Cam Johnson

Justin Hickman

Studebaker has been a great special teamer. He looks pretty good out there. He's one of the guys that pushed Trindon Holliday (I believe) out of the way of a rolling football during a punt return. Then Pat McAfee met him a little later. haha He's seen more action than Adongo.

Studebaker has been a great special teamer. He looks pretty good out there. He's one of the guys that pushed Trindon Holliday (I believe) out of the way of a rolling football during a punt return. Then Pat McAfee met him a little later. haha He's seen more action than Adongo.

I don't remember if it was Holliday or not, but whoever the returner was, Studebaker tried to push that player INTO the ball, not out of the way of it. ;)

He did an interview on colts.com where he talks about gaining the extra weight.

He is a athletic, huge dude. I would put him in on blitz packages and just let him bull rush the front line. Let him off the chain and wreck offenses. I believe once he is comfortable with the game. There will be few that can handle his strength.

"Never even heard of studebaker" says a big colts fan... smh...

*Shrugs*

I'll admit to not knowing every name here. Studebaker is one of them

12 tackles last year...... that's nothing. Apparently he's been here for awhile too so how is it that Adongo is getting more buzz than him?

*Shrugs*

12 tackles last year...... that's nothing. Apparently he's been here for awhile too so how is it that Adongo is getting more buzz than him?

cause adongo's story is more, hm, how should i put it, "exotic".. andy studebaker is just another not overly talented guy trying to make it in the nfl, but he did very well on special teams last year..

and there was even an article in national media about him helping some kid who got stuck by the road when his car broke, something like that.. i think the commentators even talked about it during a game..

i like the guy, hope he makes the team again..

Ahh more offseason fun, 5 pages on a player's weight! 

Andy Studebaker
Cam Johnson
Justin Hickman

Now I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but admitting you've never heard of Studebaker isn't going to help your cause much in your argument for Adongo being able to beat him out, let alone Johnson or Hickman. Studebaker was solid on ST and seems like a Colts type player personality wise, I'd be happy to see him back on the 53.

Bottom line is no one apart from the coaching staff knows what we've got in Adongo, he certainly seems like he has a NFL physique but we've seen plenty of "Workout Warriors" before who have played football before. 

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see him make it, it's a good story and as a Rugger Bugger I want to see a Rugby player make it in the NFL, kudos has to go out to the scouting team for finding him in the first place. Even in the world of Rugby he was below the radar. 

*Shrugs*

Studebaker was all over the field on Special Teams, and filled in nicely in a couple of games at LB as well.

Adongo is a fan favorite because of his rugby origin...never playing football before.  We are all 'rooting' for him to succeed.

Justin Hickman is the best talent of any of those 3....if healthy as you say.

Studebaker was all over the field on Special Teams, and filled in nicely in a couple of games at LB as well.

Adongo is a fan favorite because of his rugby origin...never playing football before.  We are all 'rooting' for him to succeed.

Between Hickman, Studebaker and Adongo I would agree that Hickman is probably the most talented...however if we throw Cam Johnson in the mix then I give him the nod over the others.  I think highest upside would be between Adongo and Johnson.

Studebaker did do well on special teams aside from trying to push returners into the ball for a cheap turnover, and the story of him helping the stranded motorist was a very nice story...but this is also his seventh year in the league so he's most likely pretty much at his ceiling.  I think he'd be the first to go in the OLB group at this point.

*Shrugs*

because it's a good story. Adongo has done nothing

Adongo is a fan favorite because of his rugby origin...never playing football before. We are all 'rooting' for him to succeed.

to be fair. He doesn't watch the games