Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it too early to think about the 2015 Draft? [Merge]

It is way too early to try and project anything, but it appears (early on at least) that the 2015 draft could be every bit as strong as 2014. Plus, we will have a first round pick! (I just knocked on wood). Next year should be a really strong draft at wide receiver and quarterback. The offensive line has some intriguing talent as well.

Obviously tough to tell what positions and/or players that will be the top talent next year, but a few players that may look good in blue are:

Amari Cooper WR Alabama

Noah Spence DE/OLB Ohio State

Alex Carter CB Stanford

For a very early two round mock draft, check out:

http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2015/

To early. For all we know Grigson tosses out a 1st round pick for free again, Some good players possibly coming out next year but if I get to pumped up I'd be just setting myself up for likely disappointment

Darn you, 1887!    You beat me to it!    :thmup:

I was going to ask the same question....   though I wasn't going to toss out names to consider....   but rather, positions for the Colts to consider drafting.

And with a full boatload of draft picks,  I'll officially go on record and say that I'd like to see the Colts use their first four picks in 2015 on.......    Defense.

In no specific order,  (yet) I'd like to see a pick at every level.   A safety, a corner, an outside linebacker and a DL.

Fifth round can be best offensive player available........    the last two rounds can simply be BPA.

But if we're ever going to have a defense we can count on to hold up against top teams in a deep playoff run,  the Colts need a LOT more talent on that side of the ball.     We need a defense that's intimidating...   that can force turnovers....   that can sack the quarterback from players other than Reggie Mathis.

A commitment needs to be made toward defense.    Period.  

Next year is year 4 in the Grigson/Pagano era.    Defense finally needs to be the priority.

It is a little early but if all goes right then I hope that wide receiver is set for a long time and I think we have some intriguing talent at corner. I think Purifoy could turn out very similar to Da' Rick Rogers, in that he could be a big time talent that has some off the field problems that can hopefully be corrected. Next year, I want a defensive tone setter. Someone like Denzel Perryman (LB, Miami) or Landon Collins (S, Alabama) would be nice.

It is a little early but if all goes right then I hope that wide receiver is set for a long time and I think we have some intriguing talent at corner. I think Purifoy could turn out very similar to Da' Rick Rogers, in that he could be a big time talent that has some off the field problems that can hopefully be corrected. Next year, I want a defensive tone setter. Someone like Denzel Perryman (LB, Miami) or Landon Collins (S, Alabama) would be nice.

I was hoping Perryman would come out this year. 

The Texas A&M OT Cedric Ogbuehi will be a top 10 pick no doubt. He received a 1st round grade for last weeks draft from the draft advisory board but decided to stay at A&M

Loved how he played at RT this year and even at Guard as a freshman with Joekel and Mathews at tackle he was dominating.

He is going to be the LT this upcoming season, guy is a flat out beast

Plus I love my Texas talent lol

To early. For all we know Grigson tosses out a 1st round pick for free again, Some good players possibly coming out next year but if I get to pumped up I'd be just setting myself up for likely disappointment

Really no hope for Trent at all? No love for anything in this draft?

I was upset at first but the more I look at it I like it. Grigs said himself he did not expect Moncrief to be there at 90. We had to grab him he is huge and runs really fast. Starting to like Jackson and interested in Newsome. We had to go O Line that just has to be fixed.

We only had five picks I think it turned out pretty good.........

Really no hope for Trent at all? No love for anything in this draft?

I was upset at first but the more I look at it I like it. Grigs said himself he did not expect Moncrief to be there at 90. We had to grab him he is huge and runs really fast. Starting to like Jackson and interested in Newsome. We had to go O Line that just has to be fixed.

We only had five picks I think it turned out pretty good.........

I liked our draft given the players that were available (Though wanted Gabe Jackson over Mewhort....and I like Mewhort), I dont see how you got that I dont

Never too early if you're a wannabe scout like me!

One thing's for sure, we need to add talent to our DB unit next draft. Landry I can't see being here long term, and Howell may just be a stop gap. Plus Toler can easily be upgraded at CB. I for one would love to see 2 lockdown corners who can stay somewhat healthy.

Perryman is a beast.

Also, LB from Mississippi State.. Name escapes me.. Extremely athletic.

I think we all hope somehow we have a long term (or at least very good short term) answer at S by this time next year.

I liked our draft given the players that were available (Though wanted Gabe Jackson over Mewhort....and I like Mewhort), I dont see how you got that I dont

the part about throwing another first round pick away and then setting yourself up for major disappointment if you got to pumped for next year lead me to believe you weren't happy with how things shook out.

I wanted to trade back and get Gabe and come out with Exum or someone on the back end too. Or just grab Gabe but it was Meow. I kind of think Grigs probably tried to move around and do a little something something at some point based on past moves but just couldn't find a dance partner. I have read a few places where teams were trying to move around and couldn't.

I don't think Purifoy is much like Rogers. Rogers took his medicine like a man. He took responsibility for his actions transferred to Tenn Tech passed like 10 drug tests  Purifoy turned police informant. and is slow and weak. Rogers is fast and strong. I don't think Purifoy is the answer at all. I really don't like the fact he was brought in

the part about throwing another first round pick away and then setting yourself up for major disappointment if you got to pumped for next year lead me to believe you weren't happy with how things shook out.

I wanted to trade back and get Gabe and come out with Exum or someone on the back end too. Or just grab Gabe but it was Meow. I kind of think Grigs probably tried to move around and do a little something something at some point based on past moves but just couldn't find a dance partner. I have read a few places where teams were trying to move around and couldn't.

Yeah I was happy overall with the draft, Not trading our 1st rounder...But thats all done now....I jut hope we dont do it again unless we get some wild offer for it, I would have rather had Gabe over Mewhort and Dion Bailey late over Ulrick John but more then anything Im just ready for some football

I don't think Purifoy is much like Rogers. Rogers took his medicine like a man. He took responsibility for his actions transferred to Tenn Tech passed like 10 drug tests  Purifoy turned police informant. and is slow and weak. Rogers is fast and strong. I don't think Purifoy is the answer at all. I really don't like the fact he was brought in

Rogers would appear to be a step ahead maturity-wise but he also got in trouble and had to face reality quicker being that his serious trouble was his sophomore year I believe. Purifoy has the talent to succeed. He was often considered the top corner before this last year. I know there were times he played extremely poorly but there is talent there and I'm not sure what more you can ask of an UDFA.

Purifoy is a free agent. 

Free agents are almost never the answer.

It costs us nothing to bring him in for a look.     If he works out -- great.     If not -- we say goodbye.

Players I'd like us to draft in 2015:

Randy Gregory, 6 ft 6 in, 245 lbs, DE, Nebraska. Would play OLB in our system. Likely wont happen unless we make a Julio Jones type trade.

Todd Gurley, 6 ft 1 in, 232 lbs, RB, Georgia. The ONLY RB I would consider in the first. He's a beast and should be top 10-15 based on ability, but the devaluation of RB might cause him to drop in the first round.

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu. 5 ft 10 in, 195 lbs, CB, Oregon. Let this guy take over for Toler. Him and Vontae would look awesome. Then re-sign Butler as nickel, We'd have one of the better secondaries in the league.

Purifoy is a free agent. 

Free agents are almost never the answer.

It costs us nothing to bring him in for a look.     If he works out -- great.     If not -- we say goodbye.

I realize that I guess I am just not a win at all cost guy the turning  informant instead of taking responsibility is where I would draw the line. I am not for dudes who would rather get other people arrested rather  than take responsibility for their actions. The weed I would have over looked but then getting caught with narcotics and turning that is a little to much for me.  I had the pleasure of working in the prison system in AK as a counselor for about 3yrs so that just strikes a cord with me. I am not Purifoy supporter and hope he never has the honor of wearing a horseshoe I don't care how good he might be. Everything I have seen leads me to believe I don't have to worry about that.

I do take great joy in the fact that they outed him as a police informant though what a punk 

Rogers would appear to be a step ahead maturity-wise but he also got in trouble and had to face reality quicker being that his serious trouble was his sophomore year I believe. Purifoy has the talent to succeed. He was often considered the top corner before this last year. I know there were times he played extremely poorly but there is talent there and I'm not sure what more you can ask of an UDFA.

My problem with Purifoy is he turned informant for the police rather than taking his own medicine to me he was willing to entrap others to save his butt not my kind of guy. I am not sure where everyone see's the talent he ran 4.6 40 Trai Turner almost ran faster than that he is a guard and got 225 up 6x. He just seems like a punk in the biggest sense of the word not interested doubt it will be an problem going to be hard to play the back end with the speed of an O Lineman

Yeah I was happy overall with the draft, Not trading our 1st rounder...But thats all done now....I jut hope we dont do it again unless we get some wild offer for it, I would have rather had Gabe over Mewhort and Dion Bailey late over Ulrick John but more then anything Im just ready for some football

That is what I am talking about ready for some football. I didn't at first but I have grown to like the draft and they said 14 of the UDFA signed were from  our draft board that has got to be a good thing.

Was looking forward to some bball to but seems our Pacers have lost their way

I realize that I guess I am just not a win at all cost guy the turning  informant instead of taking responsibility is where I would draw the line. I am not for dudes who would rather get other people arrested rather  than take responsibility for their actions. The weed I would have over looked but then getting caught with narcotics and turning that is a little to much for me.  I had the pleasure of working in the prison system in AK as a counselor for about 3yrs so that just strikes a cord with me. I am not Purifoy supporter and hope he never has the honor of wearing a horseshoe I don't care how good he might be. Everything I have seen leads me to believe I don't have to worry about that.

I do take great joy in the fact that they outed him as a police informant though what a punk 

I don't know the story you're referencing at all.....

I'd like to think there's much more to it than that....

My problem with Purifoy is he turned informant for the police rather than taking his own medicine to me he was willing to entrap others to save his butt not my kind of guy. I am not sure where everyone see's the talent he ran 4.6 40 Trai Turner almost ran faster than that he is a guard and got 225 up 6x. He just seems like a punk in the biggest sense of the word not interested doubt it will be an problem going to be hard to play the back end with the speed of an O Lineman

Yea, it seemed he phoned in the year early and didn't perform well at the 40. He's made mistakes but I think this is a good team for him to be on in terms of growing up. Redding, Mathis and Wayne should be able to get into his head and straighten him out. I see no problem with placing him as the last cornerback on the roster and seeing what happens during the course of the year.

Yea, it seemed he phoned in the year early and didn't perform well at the 40. He's made mistakes but I think this is a good team for him to be on in terms of growing up. Redding, Mathis and Wayne should be able to get into his head and straighten him out. I see no problem with placing him as the last cornerback on the roster and seeing what happens during the course of the year.

I don't like people that would set someone else up to get out of trouble themselves punk move I will never get past the police informant thing with him. If he had taken the heat I'd be for a second chance. You want someone like that as a teammate I wouldn't he'd throw you under the bus to save his butt.. He shoot you in the leg to escape the walkers man c'mon 

I don't like people that would set someone else up to get out of trouble themselves punk move I will never get past the police informant thing with him. If he had taken the heat I'd be for a second chance. You want someone like that as a teammate I wouldn't he'd throw you under the bus to save his butt.. He shoot you in the leg to escape the walkers man c'mon

Although he agreed to be a police informant he never cooperated with it.

I'm copy and pasting from the article from here:

"A source close to the case said Purifoy agreed that night to work with the task force as an informant, so they let him go. After that, he never returned phone calls and could not be reached by investigators."

"A law enforcement source told The Sun that Purifoy, who has been projected to be an early-round selection in the NFL draft that begins May 8, was not arrested at the time because he agreed to cooperate as an informant for the Gainesville Alachua County Drug Task Force."

However, he never could be reached by investigators with the task force, which includes sheriff's deputies and officers with the Gainesville Police Department.

The Sheriff's Office then filed a sworn complaint against Purifoy, after which a bench warrant was issued earlier this month, but the arrest warrant was quashed Wednesday.

"I was made aware this morning of a Motion to Quash an Arrest Warrant in a case originated by an (ASO) deputy on March 19, 2014. Based on probable cause developed by the deputy, an arrest warrant was issued for Loucheiz Purifoy for April 4, 2014, after he failed to fulfill his end of the bargain made with GACDTF," Darnell wrote. "The action to quash the warrant is highly unusual and, as a result, I have numerous questions as to the propriety of how this occurred."

You can read it here: http://www.gainesville.com/article/20140418/ARTICLES/140419591

No, I'm not happy about it. Its a punk move and its something he's going to have to own up to. He panicked when he was in a pressure situation that he placed himself in. He shouldn't have gotten in trouble in the first place. He shouldn't have agreed to be an informant. He shouldn't have then turned against the police. That was a series of very stupid decisions on his part but he's young. I think it is still fair to give him a chance to prove he can learn and to give him a spot on the team.

On an unrelated note, referring back to some of the talented players in college football, there's a pair of safeties I wouldn't mind seeing with the horseshoe (not including Landon Collins that I mentioned earlier). Karlos Williams from FSU has played running back the past season but I liked what I saw from him when he played safety earlier in his FSU career. The other player is Su'a Cravens from USC, I know he isn't draft eligible this season but that kid just looks like he will be a beast and potentially the next great safety to come into the league.

Although he agreed to be a police informant he never cooperated with it.

I'm copy and pasting from the article from here:

"A source close to the case said Purifoy agreed that night to work with the task force as an informant, so they let him go. After that, he never returned phone calls and could not be reached by investigators."

"A law enforcement source told The Sun that Purifoy, who has been projected to be an early-round selection in the NFL draft that begins May 8, was not arrested at the time because he agreed to cooperate as an informant for the Gainesville Alachua County Drug Task Force."

However, he never could be reached by investigators with the task force, which includes sheriff's deputies and officers with the Gainesville Police Department.

The Sheriff's Office then filed a sworn complaint against Purifoy, after which a bench warrant was issued earlier this month, but the arrest warrant was quashed Wednesday.

"I was made aware this morning of a Motion to Quash an Arrest Warrant in a case originated by an (ASO) deputy on March 19, 2014. Based on probable cause developed by the deputy, an arrest warrant was issued for Loucheiz Purifoy for April 4, 2014, after he failed to fulfill his end of the bargain made with GACDTF," Darnell wrote. "The action to quash the warrant is highly unusual and, as a result, I have numerous questions as to the propriety of how this occurred."

You can read it here: http://www.gainesville.com/article/20140418/ARTICLES/140419591I

he squealed like a pig that is how it occurred. He rolled on a couple of his bro's no big deal warrant is gone he is cool. I worked for the messed up organization we call our judicial system I know exactly how all that went away. Anyone who has ever had a run in with the law knows a MICS 4 doesn't just go away. It is a felony not going to get plead down especially with the prior weed charges. I have no trouble with any of that just be a man about it.

I don't care I don't like the dude wouldn't trust him definitely would not want him as a teammate but I am not on the team so that is not a worry for me. I really do love the fact that they put it out there that he was an informant. That is classic.

I can't find the picture of Thomas I promised you either maybe it was a dream I could have sworn I saw it but I looked for a good 15 mins today.

I know we are loaded at reciever but I really like the look of Dorial Green-Beckham, especially if Wayne and Nicks leave. His character concerns will probably cause him to drop. There is a risk he turns into another Gordon or Blackmon, but as far as I see it he has it all.

Just to clarify, his character concerns are pretty big, so if we could snag him 4th round or after then I would be interested.

No, I'm not happy about it. Its a punk move and its something he's going to have to own up to. He panicked when he was in a pressure situation that he placed himself in. He shouldn't have gotten in trouble in the first place. He shouldn't have agreed to be an informant. He shouldn't have then turned against the police. That was a series of very stupid decisions on his part but he's young. I think it is still fair to give him a chance to prove he can learn and to give him a spot on the team.

On an unrelated note, referring back to some of the talented players in college football, there's a pair of safeties I wouldn't mind seeing with the horseshoe (not including Landon Collins that I mentioned earlier). Karlos Williams from FSU has played running back the past season but I liked what I saw from him when he played safety earlier in his FSU career. The other player is Su'a Cravens from USC, I know he isn't draft eligible this season but that kid just looks like he will be a beast and potentially the next great safety to come into the league.

I am telling you he did what was asked of him or that warrant wouldn't have went away. That is how it works. Hey it's Lou can I come by and grab a couple of those? Yeah Lou anything for you bro. He rolls up with the money cops have serial numbers comes out with the pills I am guessing whatever I doubt he goes anywhere anyway

I am telling you he did what was asked of him or that warrant wouldn't have went away. That is how it works. Hey it's Lou can I come by and grab a couple of those? Yeah Lou anything for you bro. He rolls up with the money cops have serial numbers comes out with the pills I am guessing whatever I doubt he goes anywhere anyway

I've already acknowledged that he has made a bad mistake. Clearly, I'm in favor of giving him a chance to grow up and you aren't, which I understand. There's not much else to talk about involving Purifoy and this conversation would be better placed in one of those threads. As far as the 2015 draft is concerned, I think there will be a handful of good safeties and I think that's where the Colts could stand to improve most. Derron Smith of Fresno State will also be a good safety that I have seen compared to Earl Thomas but I'm not sure if he is a Pagano and Grigson player since they prefer bigger safeties that can play either safety position.

I've already acknowledged that he has made a bad mistake. Clearly, I'm in favor of giving him a chance to grow up and you aren't, which I understand. There's not much else to talk about involving Purifoy and this conversation would be better placed in one of those threads. As far as the 2015 draft is concerned, I think there will be a handful of good safeties and I think that's where the Colts could stand to improve most. Derron Smith of Fresno State will also be a good safety that I have seen compared to Earl Thomas but I'm not sure if he is a Pagano and Grigson player since they prefer bigger safeties that can play either safety position.

We may have our S on our roster Howell Brown Dewey guys in charge said we have better players in house than were available. There is still a lot of roster trimming to be done someone interesting could pop up.

We may have our S on our roster Howell Brown Dewey guys in charge said we have better players in house than were available. There is still a lot of roster trimming to be done someone interesting could pop up.

I'm hopeful that one of the players on the roster is capable as a starter. I am of the opinion that I think we need two safeties as I don't think Landry is an asset. He doesn't cover especially well and usually goes all out for the big hit which oftentimes doesn't work out well. The Colts could use a star at one of the safety position and a decent starter at the other one. They could also use a big time player at ILB.

I'm hopeful that one of the players on the roster is capable as a starter. I am of the opinion that I think we need two safeties as I don't think Landry is an asset. He doesn't cover especially well and usually goes all out for the big hit which oftentimes doesn't work out well. The Colts could use a star at one of the safety position and a decent starter at the other one. They could also use a big time player at ILB.

I expect a few of those 2013 free agent signings to be cut at the end of this season.

I do not like seeing players like Connor Cook of Michigan State in an early 'watch list' for the NFL.  It is ridiculous.  This kid needs to learn a lot more in order to be pro ready.

Connor, enjoy your time at Michigan State.  You progressed well this past year, but remember you were not even the opening day starter.  Do not get the head to big for the helmet young man!!

Also...this list seems to love warm weather climates other than Nebraska, Michigan State, and Wisconsin. I would have loved to research in Florida during this nice Midwest winter too :)